• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Seth

Seth

Now thats Grit!!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,740 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 04:30 PM

Had Holland not jumped the gun on Woolley we could have gotten a promising, decent YOUNG D man to send down to GR instead of Leba.
Open Your Mind, and close your damn mouth.
"It's called the American Dream Because you've got to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Derek Boogaard has allowed to live. - Johnny B

#2 Barnes52

Barnes52

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,735 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 04:53 PM

This is my beef with Holland, he can't think "out of the box". Before signing Woolley, maybe he could've worked the phones and saw if there was anything available, even if there wasn't, why Woolley? And what was the hurry? Heaven forbid Holland makes a trade that's not a deadline deal for draftpicks...and speaking of those, how many of those have panned out besides Chelios?

#3 ColdWarrior

ColdWarrior

USAF Winger

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 08:19 PM

Do you know he didn't work the phones? I didn't realize you were part of the management team... wow, in that case have I got a list of suggestions for you!

*sniff*sniff* Do you smell the sarcasm???

As for Woolley, he's done pretty good in Red. Sure, I would've loved to see us sign a 6'9" 300 pound physical defenseman with a penchant for the net who would also be willing to sign for 450K. But guess what, there aint any.

As for draftpick deals... seems to me that Schneider fellow's done OK... Norris finalist & all that...

#4 J-Swift

J-Swift

Clutch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 08:42 PM

QUOTE (ColdWarrior @ October 13, 2005 - 09:19PM)
As for draftpick deals... seems to me that Schneider fellow's done OK... Norris finalist & all that...

Technically, he wasn't a finalist, but he did indeed have a very good season. He was, IMO, easily the Wings second best d-man in '03-'04, and I've seen a couple analysts/sports writers even suggest that he was in fact the Wings best defenceman last season. Don't forget about Lang either, he was acquired in a draftpick deal, and managed to lead the Wings in playoff scoring and has certainly looked like Detroit's best centre so far this season.

Although, I am on the side of Barnes and Seth when they say we should've waited before signing Woolley. Defence depth was not a problem when Holland inked Jason, and even if it had been, I really don't think this defence corps needs any more d-men capable of puck movement. What we obviously need is a big, bruising defenceman, and Kenny passed up on everyone he could've sunk his claws into since the lockout ended. Instead he decided on taking Andreas Lilja, who although soft, was supposed to be a great defensive defenceman. Yeah, he's looked spectacular. dry.gif

#5 TimeBinder

TimeBinder

The continuum must be bound

• PipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 09:29 AM

Oh yes great low post positioning on that sedin goal, yes very nice, stay at home. Lebda looked good, but how could kenny pass up on and edler d-man that nobody else offered a contract to, i mean c'mon, c'mon shelly, c'mon!!
Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

#6 Barnes52

Barnes52

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,735 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 09:48 AM

QUOTE (ColdWarrior @ October 13, 2005 - 09:19PM)
Do you know he didn't work the phones?  I didn't realize you were part of the management team... wow, in that case have I got a list of suggestions for you!

*sniff*sniff*  Do you smell the sarcasm???

As for Woolley, he's done pretty good in Red.  Sure, I would've loved to see us sign a 6'9" 300 pound physical defenseman with a penchant for the net who would also be willing to sign for 450K.  But guess what, there aint any.

Because we could've done alot better than Woolley, Holland Homer....besides, Woolley looked great last night -2 and getting out worked in front of the net and in the corners...great pickup. As for Schneider, playing with Lidstrom makes alot of people look good, Schneider is good but do you really think if LA wasn't desperate to shed payroll that Holland would've acquired him? The days of playing vulture and picking up players off of dead teams payrolls are done....let's see if he can replicate a Schneider move on an even playing field...doubt he can, but he'll always have his apologists like yourself to explain away his Krupp, Whitney, Cujo signings, right?

Edited by Barnes52, 14 October 2005 - 09:54 AM.

#7 Heaton

Heaton

Oh noez

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,311 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 12:28 PM

You're really gonna have to start not making as much sense as you are Barnes, I sortof liked being in my shell.
Moral victories are for losers.

#8 Barnes52

Barnes52

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,735 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 12:31 PM

QUOTE (Heaton @ October 14, 2005 - 01:28PM)
You're really gonna have to start not making as much sense as you are Barnes, I sortof liked being in my shell.

wink.gif

#9 Seth

Seth

Now thats Grit!!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,740 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 05:51 PM

QUOTE (Heaton @ October 14, 2005 - 02:28PM)

Heaton why do you choose to be a snob?
Open Your Mind, and close your damn mouth.
"It's called the American Dream Because you've got to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Derek Boogaard has allowed to live. - Johnny B

#10 Heaton

Heaton

Oh noez

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,311 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 06:10 PM

QUOTE (Seth @ October 14, 2005 - 06:51PM)
Heaton why do you choose to be a snob?

Man, that flew right over your head didn't it? At least Barnes got it, nice try Seth.

Notice the " wink.gif " in response to what I said? I was giving Barnes a compliment, in a round about way.

Seriously dude, you need to stop looking for things to "get" me with.

Edited by Heaton, 14 October 2005 - 06:13 PM.

Moral victories are for losers.

#11 Rice

Rice

Hank.

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 5,957 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 06:49 PM

QUOTE (Barnes52 @ October 13, 2005 - 05:53PM)
Heaven forbid Holland makes a trade that's not a deadline deal for draftpicks...and speaking of those, how many of those have panned out besides Chelios?

Lang's looked good so far I'd say. Probably the reason why we made it past Nashville last season.
In a 2005 study published by the journal Nature, researchers at Durham University in England concluded that, across a range of sports, we found that wearing red is consistently associated with a higher probability of winning. The researchers also suggested that red's effect may subconsciously intimidate opponents in athletic contests, especially when the athletes are equal in skill and strength.

#12 fightfan24

fightfan24

Enforcer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 12:23 PM

Ottawa is 5-0 and, er, Dominating right now. I don't think they are looking to deal anybody away, but you always improve you team if the right deal comes.

#13 TimeBinder

TimeBinder

The continuum must be bound

• PipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 02:25 PM

Especially if Kenny can get Delmore back into the fold. biggrin.gif
Pain is just weakness leaving the body.