• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
VisiblyShaken

Souray to Det for Lang and prospect?

Rate this topic

The only strong point for Lang is that he's shown up in the playoffs. But I'm still for this trade.

Yeah, but the need for a physical, tough defenseman on this team far outweighs what a 36 yr old Lang may or may not do in the future playoffs.

I swear Holland has really rubbed off on alot of you guys. What, do you people want Lang here till he's 40??? He'll be a FA next season, and shouldnt be re-signed if this team is truly looking to the future. Isnt that what alot of the Holland defenders are saying as to why we havent signed anybody? That this upcoming season is just to set the stage for the following year? So what the hell is the use in holding onto Lang for 1 more season if you can get someone who's 5 years younger, fills a need, and if he doesnt play well you just dont re-sign him?? There is simply no argument anyone can give me as to why a Souray trade for Lang shouldnt be made.

I don't believe anybody here has been saying they want Lang on the team till he's 40. Lang and a prospect for Souray is just a plain bad trade. I'd be willing to get rid of Lang for a useful player and some salary relief, but Lang AND a prospect for someone like Sheldon Souray is gross overpayment. Lang isn't very physical and has a big contract, but he produces, especially when it matters. You don't trade a player like that and a prospect for a defenseman that we can watch get beaten by opposing forwards whenever they come in our zone for the next year.

Ok, I guess we'll just get to watch opposing forwards own the crease and manhandle our soft D...

Can you give me an example of the type of useful player you'd be willing to give Lang up for? Im curious. And also, would you wanna re-sign him next season if he's not traded?

Sounds like a good deal actually. In my mind its not really overpayment, We get Souray AND some more capspace without Lang. He's a free agent next summer, and i'll bet some other team will offer up for him and he's gone. Atleast now we get something for him.

Ok, I guess we'll just get to watch opposing forwards own the crease and manhandle our soft D...

Can you give me an example of the type of useful player you'd be willing to give Lang up for? Im curious. And also, would you wanna re-sign him next season if he's not traded?

I'm no fan of trading away players just for the heck of it so i don't think the Wings should trade Lang unless they get a good return or the team really needs the cap space. An affordable scoring forward is one of the Wings biggest needs, so I'd be cool with trading Lang for a scoring winger. A trade involving a goalie would also be good as long as the Wings don't end up overpaying. If the Wings have Datsyuk resigned by next winter It would be a good idea to dump his salary for picks/prospects if the Wings don't seem to be able to make a good playoff run, or if the Wings are going to be a playoff team, trade him if the deal is really good and adresses a need. On the matter of resigning him, if we have Datsyuk signed, let him go, but if negotiations are going poorly, resign Lang to a lower contract (before free angency starts though).

Sounds like a good deal actually. In my mind its not really overpayment, We get Souray AND some more capspace without Lang. He's a free agent next summer, and i'll bet some other team will offer up for him and he's gone. Atleast now we get something for him.

Exactly, and Souray is someone you could wanna re-sign, whereas Lang I think its time to move to the future and let go.

I'm no fan of trading away players just for the heck of it so i don't think the Wings should trade Lang unless they get a good return or the team really needs the cap space. An affordable scoring forward is one of the Wings biggest needs, so I'd be cool with trading Lang for a scoring winger. A trade involving a goalie would also be good as long as the Wings don't end up overpaying. If the Wings have Datsyuk resigned by next winter It would be a good idea to dump his salary for picks/prospects if the Wings don't seem to be able to make a good playoff run, or if the Wings are going to be a playoff team, trade him if the deal is really good and adresses a need. On the matter of resigning him, if we have Datsyuk signed, let him go, but if negotiations are going poorly, resign Lang to a lower contract (before free angency starts though).

Problem is you will not get a quality scoring winger for Lang given his age and contract. Sheldon Souray is THE best player you can possibly get for him imo. He fills a glaring need for a physical defenseman, brings toughness, and theres no risk in taking on some long contract since he'll be a FA. Thats why this is way too good to pass up if its available. Lets get some ch -ch -changes!! The FA defenseman that are left now all suck. What are we gonna be left with... Markov??

Souray for Lang would be fine. I dont really care about Hudler, but its the principal of the thing: Lang and Hudler for Souray is overpayment. Id rather save Hudler up for another trade. Souray is physical, yes, but hes a pylon. Ask any Habs fans. The guy gets undressed at least once a game. His defense these days is only slightly better than Lilja's. Wed be paying a lot for some physicality.

Lang for Souray should be just fine. This is probably coming from the same source that wanted Lang for Zednik straight up, yet saw Zednik turned around and offered away for a pick.

Edited by YoungGuns1340

Lang is easily one of our top 4 players. Lidstrom, Hank, Datsyuk, and Lang. If we get rid of Lang we will lose some of our offense, especially since Shanny left and we havent got someone to replace him yet. Stupid trade IMO, we would suck even more in the playoffs.

First things first, we need to get a goalie now before we trade anyone period.

Problem is you will not get a quality scoring winger for Lang given his age and contract. Sheldon Souray is THE best player you can possibly get for him imo. He fills a glaring need for a physical defenseman, brings toughness, and theres no risk in taking on some long contract since he'll be a FA. Thats why this is way too good to pass up if its available. Lets get some ch -ch -changes!! The FA defenseman that are left now all suck. What are we gonna be left with... Markov??

I never said that we had to trade Lang. We should only trade him if the deal is good. And if Souray is the best player we could get for Lang, we shouldn't trade him then. I know you just care about the toughness facto and don't look at a tough player's weaknesses, but Souray takes bad penalties, is easily beaten by opposing forwards, and is quite injury prone.

Lang is easily one of our top 4 players. Lidstrom, Hank, Datsyuk, and Lang.

Which is a big problem...3 of our top 4 players are centers. Deal one of Lang and Datsyuk for a defenseman and a winger. I wouldnt have a problem with Datsyuk for Souray and Ryder.

Lang is our best faceoff man now that Yzerman is gone, we dont need to get rid of the guy that will win a faceoff when it is needed and since we lost our best one this year trading Lang would be horrible unless we got a extremely good player for him. We will need Lang to win faceoffs in the playoffs. Hank is ok at taking them, and Datsyuk is 50-50 at them it seems. Draper is Draper.....

Remember playoffs mean everything, regular season means nothing.

Edited by Salviaman

Habs fan here..lots of rumours flying round with our teams so thought i'd chime on from the other side.

Souray for Lang i'm not sure why Holland wouldn't make if it's on the table. yes Souray 1 on 1 isn't the best D-man in the league, but people in general around the net are overplaying his weaknesses and not enough of his strengths. firstly, he is 6 years younger than Lang..that is a big win for the Wings. he has a rocket shot from the point, is very effective in front of the net and is extremely tough. will drop the gloves against anyone if need be on top of it. most importantly, he is a great team player and tremendous character guy. i understand Lang is a good player..he'd be a good fit on the Habs with his old buddy Kovy and solve our 2nd line centre problem (i'm willing to personally drive Ribeiro to any city in a 2000 kilometre radius if we were to land him)..and with Koivu's situation still a bit up in the air provides us with depth should Sku not be able to return in the short or long term. also, with Datsyk and Zetterberg that's a lot of cap space Lang is taking up for a 3rd line centre. i think the trade straight up taking everything into account is weighted on the Wings side a touch, although truthfully i wouldn't want Hudler..we have enough small forwards as is. plus it sounds like you guys are pretty high in him and wouldn't wanna deal him.

i think Lang and a mid round pick for Souray would be a good and fair move for both parties.

Souray and Ryder for Lang and Hudler...don't think this would ever happen. there's no way we're gonna throw in a guy who has scored 55 goals in his first 2 seasons for an unproven 5'9 forward oof which we are plentiful.

as for the Komisarek blurb, i'll assume the dude was joking when he mentioned that one. there isn't a player on the Wings roster the Habs would trade komisarek for, and that isn't an exxageration.

Cheers

Habs fan here..lots of rumours flying round with our teams so thought i'd chime on from the other side.

Souray for Lang i'm not sure why Holland wouldn't make if it's on the table. yes Souray 1 on 1 isn't the best D-man in the league, but people in general around the net are overplaying his weaknesses and not enough of his strengths. firstly, he is 6 years younger than Lang..that is a big win for the Wings. he has a rocket shot from the point, is very effective in front of the net and is extremely tough. will drop the gloves against anyone if need be on top of it. most importantly, he is a great team player and tremendous character guy. i understand Lang is a good player..he'd be a good fit on the Habs with his old buddy Kovy and solve our 2nd line centre problem (i'm willing to personally drive Ribeiro to any city in a 2000 kilometre radius if we were to land him)..and with Koivu's situation still a bit up in the air provides us with depth should Sku not be able to return in the short or long term. also, with Datsyk and Zetterberg that's a lot of cap space Lang is taking up for a 3rd line centre. i think the trade straight up taking everything into account is weighted on the Wings side a touch, although truthfully i wouldn't want Hudler..we have enough small forwards as is. plus it sounds like you guys are pretty high in him and wouldn't wanna deal him.

i think Lang and a mid round pick for Souray would be a good and fair move for both parties.

Souray and Ryder for Lang and Hudler...don't think this would ever happen. there's no way we're gonna throw in a guy who has scored 55 goals in his first 2 seasons for an unproven 5'9 forward oof which we are plentiful.

as for the Komisarek blurb, i'll assume the dude was joking when he mentioned that one. there isn't a player on the Wings roster the Habs would trade komisarek for, and that isn't an exxageration.

Cheers

Souray for Lang straight up favors the Habs.

Why the hell should we trade Lang AND Hudler or Lang AND a pick for him? That's stupid.

I would rather trade Datsyuk anyway; Lang is more likely to resign, and is a notably better player in the playoffs. Datsyuk has higher trade value, so use him to get something solid. Datsyuk for Souray and Ryder would be good; Souray is physical. But he'd be our no.4 defenseman and isn't good enough to justify Lang, let alone Dats. Ryder is a gritty, offensive winger that we could definitely use. I can't imagine the Habs would be terribly upset about getting Dats to play with Kovalev instead of Lang. Maybe add in Williams from us and a mid-late pick from them to even it up.

Holmstrom/Zetterberg/Samuelsson

Hudler/Lang/Ryder

Franzen/Kopecky/Kolanos

Cleary/Draper/Maltby

Bootland

dude Souray is still gonna be a very effective player in the league in 2 or 3 years when Lang is scoring 10 goals a year and pushing 40. not sure why you would think this is stupid, on top of which you are saving $1.5 million in cap space. i agree that 2 players for Souray is too much which is why i suggested maybe a a 4th or 5th rounder, but at the end of the day it's basically gonna be a straight up swap if it goes down.

I think Lang is at least a little better than Souray. If the trade was straight up Lang for Souray, yes, but I don't think Souray is worth a prospect also. Just my opinion.

I would be interested in trading Lang straight up for Souray. Each team gets something they are lacking, plus more money to play with.

it does appear to make some sense for both teams, which probably means it won't end up happening..LOL. fun to talk about, but if we all had a nickel for every rumour that never happened we'd all be rich.

it does appear to make some sense for both teams, which probably means it won't end up happening..LOL. fun to talk about, but if we all had a nickel for every rumour that never happened we'd all be rich.

Yeah, like the Eagle has landed in Hockeytwon rumor?

Souray for Lang straight up favors the Habs.

Why the hell should we trade Lang AND Hudler or Lang AND a pick for him? That's stupid.

I would rather trade Datsyuk anyway; Lang is more likely to resign, and is a notably better player in the playoffs. Datsyuk has higher trade value, so use him to get something solid. Datsyuk for Souray and Ryder would be good; Souray is physical. But he'd be our no.4 defenseman and isn't good enough to justify Lang, let alone Dats. Ryder is a gritty, offensive winger that we could definitely use. I can't imagine the Habs would be terribly upset about getting Dats to play with Kovalev instead of Lang. Maybe add in Williams from us and a mid-late pick from them to even it up.

Holmstrom/Zetterberg/Samuelsson

Hudler/Lang/Ryder

Franzen/Kopecky/Kolanos

Cleary/Draper/Maltby

Bootland

Hi, I'm from Montreal too.

I wouldn't mind parting with Ryder for the good offer, and that might just be Datsyuk...

He might only be 5'11'', but he would fit right in between Samsonnov and Kovalev, way better than Lang would, and for way longer...

Ryder is good for 35 goals next season, he was supposedly injured last season throwing in 30...

But we have good depth @ right wing, with Kovalev, Ryder, Perezhogin, Johnson and Kostitsyn.

And we would be interested in replacing Souray by Schneider too...

You guys are looking for a starter goalie ?

How about a huge blockbuster trade:

Souray, Ryder, Aebisher, 2nd round pick vs Datsyuk and Schneider ?

You save 1,1M in cap room and get 3 (young) players for 2 and fill in 3 needs...

Edited by Mollow

Cheers

Thats good, because Id never trade Zetterberg who is already twice the player Komisarek is.

Hi, I'm from Montreal too.

I wouldn't mind parting with Ryder for the good offer, and that might just be Datsyuk...

He might only be 5'11'', but he would fit right in between Samsonnov and Kovalev, way better than Lang would, and for way longer...

Ryder is good for 35 goals next season, he was supposedly injured last season throwing in 30...

But we have good depth @ right wing, with Kovalev, Ryder, Perezhogin, Johnson and Kostitsyn.

And we would be interested in replacing Souray by Schneider too...

You guys are looking for a starter goalie ?

How about a huge blockbuster trade:

Souray, Ryder, Aebisher, 2nd round pick vs Datsyuk and Schneider ?

You save 1,1M in cap room and get 3 (young) players for 2 and fill in 3 needs...

We'd both clean up , i dont want aebisher , but if we could get souray & ryder would be amazing.