• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Aussie_Wing

Detroit Pistons Season Thread

Rate this topic

the reason why the suns would go for that move is because marion is a free agent after next season. If there is a chance that they are not going to be able to come to an agreement and sign Shawn long term, they might trade him to get something in return.

Another hot rumor on Marion is him going to Boston for the Celtics 5th round pick this draft.

Worst NBA post-season ever. The best series was Dallas-Golden State in the first round. The series that could have been the most fun - SA vs the Suns - got totally thrown by Stern. The Pistons were just as boring as everyone else. This finals is the worst I've ever seen. Actually I stopped watching - they should have just given the SPurs the championship and spared the fans this torture. Well actually, Stern did kind of hand them the title. The Spurs may win titles, but bore me to death. I actually liked watching Jordan or the Lakers - this team is just dreadful to watch. The fact that they win is more of an indictment on how bad the NBA sucks more than how good they are. Anyhow, hopefully this is it for this Motley crew......and better days for the NBA....on to baseball now..

Complain all you want about the Spurs, but they are everything the Pistons could/should strive to be. The Spurs never play down to their competition like the Pistons do on a regular basis. The Pistons had every opportunity to win at least three titles in the past five years, but their cockiness and "show up when we want" attitude was their downfall. Quite frankly, I appreciate how the Spurs play and win basketball games. The Pistons could learn a few lessons from them on showing up every night and playing 48 minutes of full effort basketball. Congrats to the ultimate team.

Delfino traded to Raptors

The Pistons made their first personnel move of the offseason, trading reserve guard Carlos Delfino on Friday to the Toronto Raptors for two second-round picks (2009 and '11).

Delfino, who was drafted 25th overall by the Pistons in 2003, has been a mixed bag.

Oh man, I think I'm just about ready to give up on this team. The way we let go of young talent is disgraceful. In that stretch where Delfino actually recieved playing time he looked like a very solid NBA player. Of course they guy won't do anything when he plays 1 or 2 minutes of junk time. Stuff this, one very unhappy fan. :thumbdown:

Delfino sucks and he has publicly stated that he wants out of Detroit numerous times. Before the start of last season, he even said he wanted to be traded. Delfino didn't get playing time because he didn't deserve it. Good move Joe D! It's time to revamp the bench, and Delfino was part of the dead weight on it. I will not miss this bum for a split second.

When he was given PT he would often show his potential. He's only 24 and with an ageing side I can't believe we would get rid of someone and for so little in return. What a joke of a trade. As I said, when Delfino actually received PT he showed his class. An ever improving defender, great rebounder for his height (better than Prince), and a great slasher. He will be a player, make no mistake about it.

He never got a real chance. Whenever he would play a good game it would never matter, he would be benched the very next outing. Such a WASTE of talent. I hope he thrives in Torono, and I'm sure he will. :thumbup:

Does Delfino have some potential? Yes, he certainly does. As you mentioned, he proved that in spurts with the Pistons. I still question his work ethic and his desire to improve. Delfino is an average on-the-ball defender, he constantly gets abused one-on-one by better players, and his jump shot is very inconsistent and has shown no signs of getting better. I'm not sure more playing time would bring out the best of his potential, or further expose his major flaws. Maybe a change of scenery will turn Delfino's attitude and ability around, but it was evident that he was not helping the Pistons out in the least.

Does Delfino have some potential? Yes, he certainly does. As you mentioned, he proved that in spurts with the Pistons. I still question his work ethic and his desire to improve. Delfino is an average on-the-ball defender, he constantly gets abused one-on-one by better players, and his jump shot is very inconsistent and has shown no signs of getting better. I'm not sure more playing time would bring out the best of his potential, or further expose his major flaws. Maybe a change of scenery will turn Delfino's attitude and ability around, but it was evident that he was not helping the Pistons out in the least.

There was a stretch in late December, early January (5 games) where Delfino averaged 12 points (at 51%), 6 rebounds, and 1.2 steals in 22 mins per game. Given time= Delfino delivered exactly what you want from a bench player.

And then in the last 4 games of the regular season, when he got decent minutes (25/game), he averaged 11 points (48%), 5.25 rebounds and 2.25 assists per game.

Whenever he got time, he DELIVERED. And yet, when his minutes dropped off, so did his production. Wow, who would've thought? :rolleyes:

I can't believe we've traded someone who gave us exactly what we needed when we gave him a chance.

Edited by Aussie_Wing

Complain all you want about the Spurs, but they are everything the Pistons could/should strive to be. The Spurs never play down to their competition like the Pistons do on a regular basis. The Pistons had every opportunity to win at least three titles in the past five years, but their cockiness and "show up when we want" attitude was their downfall. Quite frankly, I appreciate how the Spurs play and win basketball games. The Pistons could learn a few lessons from them on showing up every night and playing 48 minutes of full effort basketball. Congrats to the ultimate team.

The Pistons deserve all the critcism they get for sure. The Spurs would probably have won this year no matter what - but the fact that the commish. tangled with the best looking match-up of the post season makes this one tainted for me. They're dirty and their coach got rewarded for playing dirty imo. Goodie for them that they won - they're boring and noone was watching. Duncan's the only one I like at all - I can't stand the rest of them. Bottom line is, the NBA playoffs totally sucked this year (Pistons losing aside - I'll still watch if it's interesting).

The Pistons deserve all the critcism they get for sure. The Spurs would probably have won this year no matter what - but the fact that the commish. tangled with the best looking match-up of the post season makes this one tainted for me. They're dirty and their coach got rewarded for playing dirty imo. Goodie for them that they won - they're boring and noone was watching. Duncan's the only one I like at all - I can't stand the rest of them. Bottom line is, the NBA playoffs totally sucked this year (Pistons losing aside - I'll still watch if it's interesting).

Actually, I agree with almost everything you said. I still think the Spurs would have beaten the Suns regardless of the suspensions or not, but yes it did take away quite a bit from that series. I also think the playoffs were downright terrible to watch - most games turned into free throw shooting contests. Stern really hurt this league when he decided to give special treatment to his highly marketable players, which allows for individual players to have a major advantage over well-rounded teams. The Cavs didn't beat the Pistons, LeBron James did. LBJ was fantastic, but he got a ton of help from the officiating, thanks to Stern's new rules to prevent any form of defense. As bad as Bettman is for the NHL, Stern has done a lot of bad things for the NBA as well. The only difference is Stern actually has a personality that makes him likeable. Bettman's personality is as enjoyable as nails on a chalkboard.

Guest DetroitIan

Chauncey just opted out of the last year of his deal. And at first I was horrified to read that. But then is agent went on to say that Chauncey's first intention is to re-sign with Detroit. So hopefully everything is all good. Cause if we lost Billups, that would be devastating.

Why didn't we take Young from USC!!!?!?! That guy is so under the radar because of where he plays. I don't know what to think about the Stuckey pick, but I love the Affalo pick. I think Affalo will be great coming off the bench.

Ric Bucher said 2 days ago Stuckey is the diamond in the rough of the 1st round. I hope he's right!

Why didn't we take Young from USC!!!?!?! That guy is so under the radar because of where he plays. I don't know what to think about the Stuckey pick, but I love the Affalo pick. I think Affalo will be great coming off the bench.

Ric Bucher said 2 days ago Stuckey is the diamond in the rough of the 1st round. I hope he's right!

I won’t even pretend to know anything about the guys we picked; all I know is most people are extremely annoyed we took Stuckey over Young.

clearly dumars is (has been all year) interested in drafting more defense and strength in the back-court. stuckey is the right guy if you look at it that way. there's no way nick young is going to push stuckey around. on the other hand, young is a phenom with MAD talent so i'm just hoping this pick doesn't come back to haunt dumars and the pistons.

i trust joe d knows what he's doing, regardless of the past drafts track record. he needs players that can play TODAY and not be viewed as projects, he may have gotten just that with 2 of his 3 picks. i have no idea who that guard out of depaul is but i'm sure his name wasn't just picked out of a cereal box.

Guest DetroitIan

Chauncey just resigned!!! 5 years/60 Mill. Thank GOD. After losing Ben last year, there is no way we could afford to lose Billups. Great Job by Joe D!

Well hopefully this deal with Chauncey goes through pretty soon. I can't imagine that it will take too long now, since the terms of the contract were already disclosed. I'm not completely sold on paying 12 million a year for a guy that will be 36 at the end of the contract, but it is absolutely a must to keep Mr. Big Shot in a Pistons uniform. Everyone talks about his rough playoff series against Cleveland, but I think we all know that this Pistons team goes nowhere next season without Chauncey around.

I thought the Pistons did very well in the draft, especially with the Afflalo pick. I loved watching him play at UCLA. He needs to improve his jump shot some, but he is a proven scorer, and a very solid defender. I'm on the fence regarding taking Stuckey over Young, but it looks as though Stuckey can be a pure scorer, which is something the Pistons need off the bench.

I still am really concerned though with the Pistons frontcourt at this time. They cannot go into next season expecting to win it all with the frontcourt they have intact. I'm fine with Rasheed staying if no trade ends up happening, but the Pistons desperately need a physical center that will score some points down low. Three straight years now, the Pistons have been burned by over-relying on perimeter scoring and jump shots. Rasheed could score at will if he stayed down on the block, but it clearly is never going to happen.

regardless of billups, i'd rather have mo pete instead of hill.

hopefully phoenix lures hill and we can sign mo and amir.

i do NOT think joe is done guys. he's patient, most of us apparently are not.

regardless of billups, i'd rather have mo pete instead of hill.

hopefully phoenix lures hill and we can sign mo and amir.

i do NOT think joe is done guys. he's patient, most of us apparently are not.

I have no problem with Mo Pete, but he doesn't really address the frontcourt issue. The best chance Joe D. had to make a serious move was before the draft, by trading Rasheed and the 15th pick to Phoenix for Marion. Fact is, the longer we get into the summer, the tougher it is to sign and make trades. I agree that Joe D. is not done yet, but I think the best opportunity to make a big move has passed. I expect Nazr Mohammed to get dealt, but good luck getting any value in return. Amir Johnson is nowhere near ready to play, Maxiell is a beast in spurts, Rasheed lives on the three, McDyess is solid, plus Webber and Davis are likely done. That is far from a championship contender frontcourt. Hopefully, we can add a physical center that is willing to score in the low post, or this team is heading down the same path as the last three seasons.

Believe me on this, or don't believe me, but just take this for what its worth...

My best freind has worked for the Pistons the last half of year for a sports managment internship. Since he is just an intern he doesn't get to hear all the "secret news", but he does get bits and pieces. He said as of now the most likely Piston to be traded is Rip, and if this happend it would most likely be during the season. The reason for Rip: His contract ends soon, he is in his prime, and we could get a very good player (or two) in return.

Again...take this for what it's worth, but I thought I should share it.