• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
betterREDthandead

2007 Baseball Season

Rate this topic

Excellent day for Dave Dombrowski. Filled the closer job and the left field slot all in one day. I had a hunch Todd might re-sign when I read that he was insisting on a one-year deal instead of two, because he didn't feel like he could guarantee his employers two years. Whether 2008 is his last year or not, I hope Todd Jones retires a Tiger. If you put together the all-time Tigers bullpen, he's the closer for sure.

Guest RedWingsFever

Having Jaque Jones will majorly help this team. He's a great outfielder. Now re-signing our other Jones, Im not a big fan of. But considering whats out there. Todd might be the best option for now. But in no way do I think he will be a Tiger in '09. Atleast I sure the hell hope not. Jones is a joke of a closer.

Guest RedWingsFever

yeah, 3rd in the AL in saves is a huge joke...

Its easy to be 3rd in saves when you're on a team that has no other closers. Therefore, Jones gets thrown out there almost every time. When you get twice the amount of action you tend to get more saves. Jones has no heat, no movement on his pitch. And never strikes anyone out. He's a contact pitcher. Which means he throws the same s*** over and over. And relys on pop-ups and our defense to get him out of jams. The dude sucks. Hense, we only signed him to a one year deal. And the only reason we even signed him right now is because there is such slim pickens out there. This will be Jones last season with the Tigers. You can bank on that. This is the same guy that blew several multi-run leads the Tigers had. Im sorry, but a closer should be a guy that can actually strike hitters out. Not a f-ing contact pitcher.

Its easy to be 3rd in saves when you're on a team that has no other closers. Therefore, Jones gets thrown out there almost every time. When you get twice the amount of action you tend to get more saves. Jones has no heat, no movement on his pitch. And never strikes anyone out. He's a contact pitcher. Which means he throws the same s*** over and over. And relys on pop-ups and our defense to get him out of jams. The dude sucks. Hense, we only signed him to a one year deal. And the only reason we even signed him right now is because there is such slim pickens out there. This will be Jones last season with the Tigers. You can bank on that. This is the same guy that blew several multi-run leads the Tigers had. Im sorry, but a closer should be a guy that can actually strike hitters out. Not a f-ing contact pitcher.

uhm, thats what they are there for...

a save is a situation where a pitcher comes in with a 3 run or less lead and closes out the game with a lead still. Jones did that 38 times last year, which is 3rd in the AL. You are not the all time save man for the tigers without knowing how to throw a baseball.

Im sorry, but a closer should be a guy that can actually strike hitters out. Not a f-ing contact pitcher.

No, a closer should be a guy who gets hitters out. How they get out is totally irrelevant.

And by the way, guess who has more saves the past three years than Mariano Rivera, Billy Wagner, or Francisco Cordero?

Todd Jones can be a frustrating player at times, but overall he's the best we got. I'm fine with him sticking around, because I can't really think of anyone else we could pick up right now.

Good signing by DD. :)

Nice to have Jones back, and very good trade getting the other Jones. I remember when he was on Minnesota how i always wanted to see him here. Wouldve rather dealt for Ibanez, but he wouldve costed more than Infante...who was very expendable. 1 yr left on his deal...perfect.

But of course, none of this really matters unless we add some damn arms to the pen! Disappointed to see Lidge actually get dealt to the Phillies. Dont know anything about what they got in return...but he wouldve been great to have. At this point i think you have to have the mindset of replacing Zumaya altogether. Lidge wouldve been that ideal guy.

Per the Freep, the Tigers are talking to the agent (same guy for both) of Octavio Dotel and Matt Herges. Couple of basic standard relievers-in-a-box but not terrible. Maybe a bit disturbing that the Dotel page is sponsored by the Oakland Committee to Impeach Octavio Dotel.

I dont want Dotel,..I think he'll want to close somewhere anyways. Herges isnt anything to write home about, but i'll take him i guess. Adding him and David Riske (if KC didnt pick his option up, which i never bothered checking) would bolster things a bit.

Edited by Lou_Siffer