• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Zion

Maple Leafs fan sums up Philly loss.

Rate this topic

It's not far-fetched that other teams will look at this nationally televised regular season game and say, "Ok, we'll just beat them off the puck." It could be a defining game. Philly isn't a good team. And they hammered us. I'm not saying that this is who we are, but it could be a self-fulfilling prophecy, and we'll get bounced out of the playoffs by a team that plays like that.

A one game regular season snapshot wont determine how teams gameplan for the Wings...the strategy for success against the Wings has been out since the early 90's.

I can't give that a qualified answer since I can't see 'how' that team played once obtaining Bert and Laraque.

If those two guys bring some muscle to the team and make opponents think twice for running Hasek, Zetts, Lidstrom and Dats, while chipping in goals on the way to the Cup, then yes they would be the final peices to the puzzle.

But I'm still not convinced that Holland will get the necessary amount of grit and toughness this team needs. His response to this same need last season was met with an acquisition of Cory Cross.

And I won't defend Holland for that. It helped the Wings in no way whatsoever. However, Holland may have been going after someone and it fell through at the last minute. That we'll never know.

This is what I wanted to hear from you:

then yes they would be the final peices to the puzzle.

Edit: Grammar

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

And the game wasn't meaningless, a victory gave us our first Central Division lead, as well as the #1 spot in the NHL.

With five games left to go against Nashville, I have a feeling the Wings will get their shot. No need to blow this game out of proportion--it's one of a million insignificant losses in franchise history.

A one game regular season snapshot wont determine how teams gameplan for the Wings...the strategy for success against the Wings has been out since the early 90's.

Right, all the other teams in the league said they would just beat us off of the puck when we had Probert, Gallant, Randy McKay, Kocur, then McCarty, Drake (who will take a run at anyone), Primeau, Vladdy, Grimson, and Lapointe. (sarcasm HEAVILY noted)

I don't want to be a jerk or anything, but did you watch the Wings in the early nineties? I was only eight in 1990, and I still remember those names and seeing them kick some ass.

Edited by CloudConnected

Is it really a stereotype? And the game wasn't meaningless, a victory gave us our first Central Division lead, as well as the #1 spot in the NHL.

Losing to a team in the second of back to back games after having to travel and having the worst possible goaltender in your net means nothing when you go out the next game and pull out a near-perfect hard-earned win against a hot team with amazing defensive play and an impressive, almost unstoppable goaltender with tons of confidence.

Right, all the other teams in the league said they would just beat us off of the puck when we had Probert, Gallant, Randy McKay, Kocur, then McCarty, Drake (who will take a run at anyone), Primeau, Vladdy, Grimson, and Lapointe. (sarcasm HEAVILY noted)

I don't want to be a jerk or anything, but did you watch the Wings in the early nineties? I was only eight in 1990, and I still remember those names and seeing them kick some ass.

You're right, the Wings played a much different style in the early 90's. But maybe he should have said that last 3 years. The 06-07 Wings play no differently than the 03, 04 and 06 Wings did. Which means a hard, aggressive, physical forecheck coupled with keeping the Wings to the paremeter will beat us again.

Guest Crymson

I feel that judging Detroit on the basis of Andreas Lilja's behavior is somewhat silly.

Losing to a team in the second of back to back games after having to travel and having the worst possible goaltender in your net means nothing when you go out the next game and pull out a near-perfect hard-earned win against a hot team with amazing defensive play and an impressive, almost unstoppable goaltender with tons of confidence.

Amen dude... Amen.

for years when the leafs have went down, they went down with pride, unlike your shameful team. for all the cups you have of late, they are not worth these all time lows you hit. I wouldn't trade our losing with pride, for your winning and laying down like ways."

All I have to say is this guys is full of s***. Only a Leaf fan could be obnoxious enough to say something like that. The sad thing is, I know some people who would say the same kind of thing. Idiots! I've had Leaf fans say to me that the Wings were a bunch of chokers. Funny a team that has won 3 Cups and made it to 4 Stanley Cup finals since 1995 are chokers.

Seeing my team win the Stanley Cup 3 times was unreal. I would happly trade a few early playoff exits for 3 Stanley Cups. Atleast when we don't win the Stanley Cup, we add another Division Championship and President Trophy banner to the rafters. I'd take those over a losing trip to the Conference Finals anyday.

I feel sorry for Leaf fans. Their team lets them down every year. They just keep taking and taking losing and never try and send a message to Management by not going to games. I guess they get what they deserve.

You're right, the Wings played a much different style in the early 90's. But maybe he should have said that last 3 years. The 06-07 Wings play no differently than the 03, 04 and 06 Wings did. Which means a hard, aggressive, physical forecheck coupled with keeping the Wings to the paremeter will beat us again.

If you didnt notice, Dallas did exactly that to us last night. I know because all I kept on thinking up until the third period was how this is how it is going to be in the playoffs and that the Wings still, since 2004, havent figured out how to break it. Until last night. For the first time, our defense remained tight throughout the game, our goaltending was good when it had to be, and our forwards worked hard and perservered til the end. The result? a 3-1 victory.

Our problems last year were goaltending and defense, before that it was a lack of scoring. This year, the Wings have had good goaltending, strong defense, and recently, a dominant first line. With an addition to the 2nd line and some grit on the bottom 6, this team will be better fit for the playoffs than they have been in years. The only reason nobody sees it now is because we are getting strong play from no names like Cleary, Lebda, and the rookies.

After the Wings lost in the first round in the playoffs last year a Leafs fan told my girlfriend that he'd rather the Leafs NOT make the playoffs than to be embarassed in the first round.

Still though, we won the Central Divison and Presidents Trophy. It was a fun 82 regular season, I wouldn't trade that. The Leafs were embarassed more for not even making the playoffs. A .500 team gets in.

I think some people put to much attention into how far teams make it in the playoffs. A couple bounces determines a series, the 1st round favors the underdog, so the outcome is to up in the air. In my opinion, 1 team wins it all, 15 don't. If you don't, you make changes and try again next season.

Look at the Oilers this year, they won't even be in the playoffs. What good does it do them now that they got hot, had some breaks go their way for 2 months in the spring of 2006, and lost in the finals? No one remembers who lost the Final, they remember who won.

Edited by Barrie

Well the Laugh's fan said it right when he said he needed to get tougher. I don't know how anyone could argue with it to be honest. 1-2 grinding wingers with 1 of them hopegully being able to put the puck in the net while both being able to throw around their body is a must for a playoff run. No two ways about it.

But the Laugh's fan need to STFU. His team is a joke. All grinders and muckers and zero talent aside from Sundin. I mean, we're speaking about an organization who this Saturday will be commemorating being 40 year losers. An organization which calls Rick Vaive and Peter Zezel, "Laugh legends". Ya they may beat up on teams, but still always end up never being a serious contender and never winning anything. And this won't change any time soon. At one point they had guys like Belak, Marchmant, and Domi in the lineup. Oh ya, lot's of success coming here.

Exactly, you are right on the money. Holland needs to land two physical forwards, not just one. He needs a combination of Tkachuk, Guerin, Lapointe, Bert, and Roberts. Two of those five and we have a shot, because we can have a guy who goes into traffic areas on every line. Two of them on separate lines, Homer and Mule on the other two lines. Kenny needs to get it done. I actually wouldn't mind a crease clearing dman too. I heard Jason Smith might be on the block on Spector's site the other day, but I don't have a link. I know it's a radical facelift, but that's what happens when we ignore the problem for so long.

I feel sorry for Leaf fans. Their team lets them down every year. They just keep taking and taking losing and never try and send a message to Management by not going to games. I guess they get what they deserve.

HUH? I'll support the Wings if they slip back to late 80's play, and I'd go to their games even if they played like Philly.

I would, too, but we're an elite team with fine tuning issues. I love our D and have faith in Dom, but our 2nd line should consist of some power forwards to replace Lang, Cleary and Williams... who I can't really see being a factor in the playoffs, despite Lang's consistency in the postseason.

Still though, we won the Central Divison and Presidents Trophy. It was a fun 82 regular season, I wouldn't trade that. The Leafs were embarassed more for not even making the playoffs. A .500 team gets in.

I think some people put to much attention into how far teams make it in the playoffs. A couple bounces determines a series, the 1st round favors the underdog, so the outcome is to up in the air. In my opinion, 1 team wins it all, 15 don't. If you don't, you make changes and try again next season.

Look at the Oilers this year, they won't even be in the playoffs. What good does it do them now that they got hot, had some breaks go their way for 2 months in the spring of 2006, and lost in the finals? No one remembers who lost the Final, they remember who won.

This is dead on. I know the playoffs are what matter and all that, but we should all be so lucky to be Wings fans and to see our team win night in and night out for the last fifteen years. We got bounced in the first round, humongous disappointment, but we still won fifty games. You didn't enjoy that? That didn't create any good memories for you? Of course it did.

That Leafs fan would rather be .500? Good for him. That's what he'll remember--mediocrity and frustration at missing the playoffs. We'll take some more enjoyable memories with us, thanks.

While his message lacks proper grammer and spelling and comes across as rather gruff, everything he said is bang-on. It's for all the above reasons that we will get our asses handed to us in the first round of the playoffs. We're a very easy team to push over. In fact, teams must love coming into Detroit because they know they're not going to have one extra bruise when they leave. Sure, we'll probably beat them, but games are 1000x different in the playoffs. It's about will over skill and our team lacks the former. We watched Philly smack our goalies and our players around without so much as sneezing in their direction. That game was like a playoff game with it's physicality and emotion. If lowly Philly can do that to the Wings what do you think San Jose or Nashville will do to us? Or Heaven forbid we ever meet the Ducks. We'll be hammered through the ice!

This team lacks muscle and backbone. It's lacked it for years now and yet Holland continues to turn a blind eye while smiling endlessly at all the useless regular season accolades his team accumulates.

The last three playoff exits indicate that we can no longer call it a stereotype. The way we lost in each year is for the exact same reasons. We're bullied onto the golf course. Sure, we always find a way to blame the goalie but we can't keep doing that when we lose games 1-0 or 2-1. Our offense is easily shutdown in the postseason because we have too many race horses and not enough work horses.

And I'm sure this guy is bitter because his team hasn't done squat in 40 years. It's the reason why the Leafs put on useless 'celebrations' each year. Lets honour Bjorn Salming. Are you kidding? And now they're going to honour the 67 Cup winning team this year. They'll find any reason to celebrate something because they haven't been able to celebrate anything of signficance since before Disco. The Leafs organization and their fans are pathetic. Sure, we're a pile of p*ssies when it comes to playoff hockey these days but each playoff exit we've experienced over the past 4 years is made a touch easier from the 3 Cups I witnessed over a 6 year span.

Bingo :sly: