• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Matt

Datsyuk Signs 7-year, $46.9M Contract Extension

Rate this topic

If I'm not mistaken Zetterberg has two more years left on his contract after this season. After that he will indeed be looking for a similar contract as Datsyuk, no reason he shouldn't. That's another reason this contract is completely off the charts. Before I was certain that Zetterberg could be had for slightly less, but now the Red Wings basically have no choice but to offer him the same contract as Datsyuk. This contract is extremely expensive from this perspective. It's expensive from the very beginning...

In 2009, if Zetterberg accepts a 6.7mil.a year contract, Holland will jumpfor joy. With the cap at $55 mil. then, Zetterberg and franchize players like him will be going for $ 9-10 mil. per year.

a) So you honestly believe that the NHL cap is going to continue spiral upward because it has shown an increase in its very first two years in existence?

b) I hardly think you can take a lot out of what was said today at face value. You cannot expect anyone within the organization to say anything other than postive comments about Pavel today.

c) Previous to his injury, Zetterberg had more goals, more points, and a better plus/minus than Datsyuk. Not to mention the fact that he lead the league in GWGs. He was playing on the top line, the top PP unit, the top PK unit, and when the game was on the line with a minute to go, you knew Hank would be out there. There was an article on ESPN, I do believe, which discussed his chances for the Hart trophy, and the general consensus around here was that the Selke trophy had his name written all over it. You cannot downplay his contriubtions to this team. And when his contract is up in a couple of years, he is going to want the exact same deal.

d) My "co-thinkers"? I love how you group me in with the people who hate Pavel Datsyuk. I have nothing against the guy, and I wanted him back just as much as anyone else. But there isn't a single player on this team I'd be willing to give a contract this long and for this much. No, not even Zetterberg. And I'm sorry, but Datsyuk's going to have more than just a decent playoffs this year to shut anyone up; the guy's going to have to be a scoring machine for any of this deal's nay-sayers to be satisfied.

It seems to me that if Datsyuk really wanted to stay here, we should've given him a chance to show us that his past playoff disappearing acts were a fluke, and then offered him the same deal. I might have been a little more receptive to this contract extension if that were the case.

a) The average NHL salary has been growing before the lockout, and faster then it is growing now. If anything, my 7%

a year estimate is toolow historically.

b) Read part b of my previous comment again. Holland and Illitch said that Steve Yzerman was the prime moving force behind the decision to re-sign Pavel. Yes, it is customary to praise the newly signed player, but it is not what I was talking about. Steve Yzerman, that I never known to lie publicly before, said that he watched Datsyuk from the beginning of his career, and he 100% belives in him.

c) If Zetterberg didn't get hurt, he or Hasek would have been my team MVP choices. But he did get hurt, and Pavel was carrying the team on his shoulders for the large part of the season. That makes him a legitimate MVP candidate.

You may say that if Bertuzzi was on the Wings from the beginning of the season, and was healthy,he might have been an MVP. Maybe. But in fact, with the injuries that did happen, Pavel WAS the guy who carried the team the most. (Again, along with Hasek)

d) I didn't say that your co-thinkers were Datsyuk-haters. That is your self-identification, apparently. :P

I only meant the folks who think that this contract is too expensive and too long.

a) The average NHL salary has been growing before the lockout, and faster then it is growing now. If anything, my 7%

a year estimate is toolow historically.

b) Read part b of my previous comment again. Holland and Illitch said that Steve Yzerman was the prime moving force behind the decision to re-sign Pavel. Yes, it is customary to praise the newly signed player, but it is not what I was talking about. Steve Yzerman, that I never known to lie publicly before, said that he watched Datsyuk from the beginning of his career, and he 100% belives in him.

c) If Zetterberg didn't get hurt, he or Hasek would have been my team MVP choices. But he did get hurt, and Pavel was carrying the team on his shoulders for the large part of the season. That makes him a legitimate MVP candidate.

You may say that if Bertuzzi was on the Wings from the beginning of the season, and was healthy,he might have been an MVP. Maybe. But in fact, with the injuries that did happen, Pavel WAS the guy who carried the team the most. (Again, along with Hasek)

d) I didn't say that your co-thinkers were Datsyuk-haters. That is your self-identification, apparently. :P

I only meant the folks who think that this contract is too expensive and too long.

im confused...i agree with you....finally? :huh::hehe:

I'm sorry, I meant the whole age/groin thingy. Hasek might be considered a gamble because of his groin, but then again, it doesn't take a whole lot for a goalie (any goalie) to go down. If that happens, any team would be in trouble. That's my point.

Given that Datsyuk is actually wanted on the team in 2010-2011, and that he performs according to a $8.3 M player at the time, which is far from a fact. In addition, your scenario doesn't consider other possible UFA targets available.

Absolutely, but some goalies are more of a risk than others. The way Dom's health has been the past few years, makes him a much greater risk than a guy like Miller. That's my point. :sly:

I just don't see how anyone other than the most blinded Datsyuk lover's could think 7 years is a good idea under the cap, especially for a 28 year old player.

Like I said originally, unless their name is Crosby or Ovechkin, it doesn't make sense. Dats is crazy talented, but few people outside of Detroit would consider him among the league's elite.

Having the unique assortment of being 14th in scoring, 5th in +/-, 8th in face off %, 1st in take aways

as well as fun as hell to watch sounds pretty elite to me. But hey, someday the wings will return your calls, since you know better. waits for: playoffs playoffs playoffs. NOBODY turned the tide for us the last few years...

I haven't read any of the 25 pages so my apologies if I have re-hasehed anything.

For the short-term, and with that I mean this post-season, I actually think this is a good thing. Some might think the pressure on Datsyuk is up even more, I think he's probably on Cloud-9 right now securing his future for the next few years in Detroit (assuming that he wanted to remain here of course). I think he'll play more loose and relaxed now because of this contract.

Hopefully, this won't turn into a goofy deal like Yashin where it hasn't amounted to a whole let.

On the flip side though, when you have your GM, the Vice President in the name of Steve Yzerman, and other coaches saying that it has to be done to re-sign Datsyuk, you have to trust their words some. So, I am at peace with that. Whether they are wrong or not in 3-4 years and Datsyuk might "underperform", nobody is going to know that obviously until 3-4 years. Based off their words right now though, I'll trust them and be happy.

Time will tell whether this is a good deal or a bad one...

How'd you know? :ph34r::D

I think we can both agree that only time will tell whether this deal is the right move or not. By signing this deal, the Wings are making the assumption that: a) the cap will go up, b) Datsyuk's level of play remains high for the next 7 years, and c) that Pavel's recent playoff scoring woes are the product of bad luck. I really hope that Detroit is right on all counts, because this contract will have a huge impact on this franchise for years to come.

How'd you know? :ph34r::D

I think we can both agree that only time will tell whether this deal is the right move or not. By signing this deal, the Wings are making the assumption that: a) the cap will go up, b) Datsyuk's level of play remains high for the next 7 years, and c) that Pavel's recent playoff scoring woes are the product of bad luck. I really hope that Detroit is right on all counts, because this contract will have a huge impact on this franchise for years to come.

last playoffs didnt dats come back in game 2, out of a 6 game playoff run after being injured...cmon seriously

last playoffs didnt dats come back in game 2, out of a 6 game playoff run after being injured...cmon seriously

Datsyuk's reputation as a disappearing act in the playoffs isn't built solely on what happened last season. I do believe we're approaching the fifth anniversary of his last playoff goal.

I'm certainly not saying that Pavel will be a career post-season choker, but he definitely does have something to prove in the upcoming playoffs. With this new contract extension, people aren't going to be satisfied with just his regular season play (as stellar as it is).

Datsyuk's reputation as a disappearing act in the playoffs isn't built solely on what happened last season. I do believe we're approaching the fifth anniversary of his last playoff goal.

I'm certainly not saying that Pavel will be a career post-season choker, but he definitely does have something to prove in the upcoming playoffs. With this new contract extension, people aren't going to be satisfied with just his regular season play (as stellar as it is).

oh no im not saying its only based on last season, but last season was exceptionally hard for him i think, well for the whole team really

Having the unique assortment of being 14th in scoring, 5th in +/-, 8th in face off %, 1st in take aways

as well as fun as hell to watch sounds pretty elite to me. But hey, someday the wings will return your calls, since you know better. waits for: playoffs playoffs playoffs. NOBODY turned the tide for us the last few years...

ahh yes. the standard "you think you know better than management" response.

So you've never questioned any move the Wings have made?

If they had traded Datsyuk, would you have sat quietly and thought, "well, they must know what they're doing, so I won't comment"

And I guess it depends on your definition of elite. There's no question Dats is currently at the top end of the league. I just think of elite as the top 3 or so guys at each position that you'd love to have on the team. I could come up with three other centers easy, and even top 5. Like I said, depends on what you consider elite.

But I'm tired of the denial of Datsyuk's playoff problem. Hopefully he will bust out of it in a big way this season, but there's no denying that he has been well below expectations the last several years.

EDIT: and as I made clear in my initial post, I think a seven year deal is a bad signing for almost ANY player, except maybe young supertalents like Crosby and Ovechkin.

edited for spelling

Edited by haroldsnepsts

Not to mention his incentive to prove everyone wrong and land his one big chance at a huge UFA payday this playoffs is now gone as he'll be fat and happy with $47 million either way. Some negotiating. Could this deal have been done any more on Datsyuk's terms or at a time better for him and not for the team? :thumbdown:

It's not that I'm anti-Datsyuk, but goddamn, this contract is folly.

:clap:

please explain to me why he will be fat with his money and all his desire to play well will disappear, that sounds retarded

History isn't on your side. How many guys have a great season in their contract year, get the FAT contract, then forget why they got it? The odds ain't with Holland on this one.

:clap:

History isn't on your side. How many guys have a great season in their contract year, get the FAT contract, then forget why they got it? The odds ain't with Holland on this one.

links to these facts? or are you assuming that the contract was the reason?

PREDICTION: by the 2010-12 season Datsyuk will be getting point totally similar to Robert Lang.

sweet.

Why the knock on Lang? He's playing on the 2nd line and he gets 50+ points a year and is a + rating. Many teams would love to have a 2nd line C with those stats.

One can onlylaugh at the Lang insults at this point. Like cmon, check some of these posts that continually bash him, while saying Bertuzzi is GOD and Pavel is worth 7 million. :huh::blink:

Yeah, he is getting paid good money, but he has HUGE pressure and obligation to be the TOP Wing for those 7 seasons. And if he isn't, he gets traded for a couple players to a smaller market team (hello Carolina, I'm looking at you).

You must have Holland confused with another GM. Yeh THAT'S gonna happen with Holland at the helm. :lol:

a) If Yzerman diagreed with this deal, I would expect him to keep low profile, rather than outright lie. Instead, he seemed to have been the moving force behind this deal.

b) Zetterberg was an RFA with limited bargaining power when he signed his 4 year management friendly deal. Whether he is the better player or not will not matter for another two years until his current deal is up.

c) Arguably, Datsyuk is the team MVP so far this season. It is between him and Hasek in any case.

A-What moving force. He himself said he sat in the background and just watch how the process worked. You know something we don't?

B-Pretty well regarded that his contract is well below what he should make.

C-Without Hasek we are nowhere near #1 in the league. MVP? Dominik.

Edited by motorcitykid

Yeh the insults about Lang are so silly at this point.

I mean, check some of these posts that continually bash him, meanwhile saying Bertuzzi is GOD and Pavel is worth 7 million. :huh::blink:

riiiight....hahahha lets not even compare dats and lang's stats, but even if you compare bert, coming off 2 seasons of not playing in the nhl:

Bert - 4 pts in 8 games, +3 and an enormous presence that lang could never provide

Lang - no goals since March 13 vs nashville, 5 pts in 11 games, and general lazy play followed by half assed checks

Lang's stats dont even deserve to be graced by the comparison of his to dats'

One can onlylaugh at the Lang insults at this point. Like cmon, check some of these posts that continually bash him, while saying Bertuzzi is GOD and Pavel is worth 7 million. :huh::blink:

Bertuzzi is a lot better than you give him credit for. He brings something the Wings have lacked for a long time, and that's toughness.

Why do you hate Bertuzzi so much anyways? The Steve Moore incident? He's here now, is he not? Jeez, just learn to forget. It's not like Moore was a Red Wing at one point in his career, or had some emotional connection to the Wings or the city of Detroit.

Edited by Kp-Wings

Someone on the HF boards was laughing at this deal, and the subject of Thornton/Datysuk being compared came up. Here is what I posted on that subject...

Fairly comprable up to the same point in their careers, regular season and playoffs. If Pavel keeps playing well, he will be a 100+ point player next year.

Thornton is in his 9th season, Pavel is in his 5th.

All im saying is that the upside is there, and though the contract is big, we have a player who is better than thornton was at the same point in his career.

Call me crazy then, but if we're talking regular season, playoffs, grit and leadership; real MVP-type qualities - i'd take Joe.

If I'm not mistaken Zetterberg has two more years left on his contract after this season. After that he will indeed be looking for a similar contract as Datsyuk, no reason he shouldn't. That's another reason this contract is completely off the charts. Before I was certain that Zetterberg could be had for slightly less, but now the Red Wings basically have no choice but to offer him the same contract as Datsyuk. This contract is extremely expensive from this perspective. It's expensive from the very beginning...

And really, who truly IS the franchise guy?

I guess Holland can either delude himself into believing Pavel and Hank are equal, or we can look at Hank's worth at about 9 or 10 million?

Edited by motorcitykid

riiiight....hahahha lets not even compare dats and lang's stats, but even if you compare bert, coming off 2 seasons of not playing in the nhl:

Bert - 4 pts in 8 games, +3 and an enormous presence that lang could never provide

Lang - no goals since March 13 vs nashville, 5 pts in 11 games, and general lazy play followed by half assed checks

Lang's stats dont even deserve to be graced by the comparison of his to dats'

you had to know this was coming.

Lang

2005 6 gp 3 G, 3 A

2004 12 gp, 4 G, 5A

2003 6 gp, 2 G, 1A

Datsyuk

2005 5 gp, 0 G, 3A

2004 12 gp, 0 G, 6A

2003 4 gp, 0 G, 0 A

Obviously Pavel's been great in the regular season this year, but Lang's 50 pts and +10 isn't exactly terrible. And he isn't here to check people. No one in the Wings organization could've seriously expected Lang to be a hitter.

Whenever people explain away Datsyuk's playoff no-shows, they often talk about how the whole team sucked or how he needed better linemates. Lang peformed in spite of those same conditions.

He gets way more grief around here than he deserves.

Lang

2005 6 gp 3 G, 3 A

2004 12 gp, 4 G, 5A

2003 6 gp, 2 G, 1A

Datsyuk

2005 5 gp, 0 G, 3A

2004 12 gp, 0 G, 6A

2003 4 gp, 0 G, 0 A

Obviously Pavel's been great in the regular season this year, but Lang's 50 pts and +10 isn't exactly terrible. And he isn't here to check people. No one in the Wings organization could've seriously expected Lang to be a hitter.

Whenever people explain away Datsyuk's playoff no-shows, they often talk about how the whole team sucked or how he needed better linemates. Lang peformed in spite of those same conditions.

oh i knew that was coming hahaha, and i respect you as one of the finest posters on these boards, but i guess im gonna curtail this argument until we see how pavs does in the playoffs...always remember step 2 playoff records come from step 1 regular season play...and dats gives us that

oh i knew that was coming hahaha, and i respect you as one of the finest posters on these boards, but i guess im gonna curtail this argument until we see how pavs does in the playoffs...always remember step 2 playoff records come from step 1 regular season play...and dats gives us that

He definitely does.

And to be clear, I like Datsyuk. Even though I don't like this 7 year deal, I hope like hell he lights it up this playoffs.

He definitely does.

And to be clear, I like Datsyuk. Even though I don't like this 7 year deal, I hope like hell he lights it up this playoffs.

hahaha dont we all

Lang

2005 6 gp 3 G, 3 A

2004 12 gp, 4 G, 5A

2003 6 gp, 2 G, 1A

Datsyuk

2005 5 gp, 0 G, 3A

2004 12 gp, 0 G, 6A

2003 4 gp, 0 G, 0 A

HS, im a little late to that post, but :thumbup::clap: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!