• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Matt

Datsyuk Signs 7-year, $46.9M Contract Extension

Rate this topic

I CAN'T believe we've just put the future of this proud franchise on a guy who has all of 3 goals in 42 career playoff games.

I'm shocked. :angry:

I second that, and at $6.7 M Holland didn't even manage to get a discount out of all those years! :thumbdown: Edited by RyanBarnes!

I second that, and at $6.7 M Holland didn't even manage to get a discount out of all those years! :thumbdown:

I would assume Holland and G factored in the salary cap continuing to rise, and thats where the "discount" is. It's another gamble, but we already knew he was a gambler even before this morning.

Datsyuk is signed for 7 years vs Luongo's 4. Luongo gets $6 mil. $6.5 mil. $7 mil. and $7.5 mil. for those 4 years. Assuming the same progression, Luongo would make $8 mil. $8.5 mil. and $9mil. for the hypothetic years 5, 6, and 7 if he signed a 7 year contract. That averages to $52.5 mil. over 7 years or $7.5 mil. per year. And that contract started last year, if it was signed today, it would have been $0.5 mil. per year higher or $8 mil. per year. So please do not compare contracts of different lengths at face value.

I do agree that the Wings might need a goalie in the next 7 years, IF Howard doesn't work out. But if he does, then Osgood is more than capable of holding the fort for a year or two. And guys like Backstrom from MIN or Mason or Thibault or Niitymaki may become available as relatively cheap FAs in the foreseeable future.

I am going to make the comparison. Luongo'a contract isn't for seven years, but the average is nearly the same. I don't care if Dats' deal was a 1 year 6.7 mill contract. The fact is we are paying him the same amount per season and is he going to give us the same return each year? I am not talking about a bunch of highlight reel-goals and plays, but a legit shot everytime he plays to win the game. And go to man at crunch time. Can he deliver that?

Edited by arnoldbuck

I am not talking about a bunch of highlight reel-goals and plays, but a legit shot everytime he plays to win the game. And go to man at crunch time. Can he deliver that?

:clap: Edited by motorcitykid

I would assume Holland and G factored in the salary cap continuing to rise, and thats where the "discount" is. It's another gamble, but we already knew he was a gambler even before this morning.

I wouldn't call Holland a gambler simply because he finally woke up and took a chance on Bertuzzi. When it comes to contracts and re-signing his players, sadly this is exactly what I'd expect from Holland. Even if the cap is rising, Datsyuk still isn't a $7 M player. No, stupid is what it is.

I am not talking about a bunch of highlight reel-goals and plays, but a legit shot everytime he plays to win the game. And go to man at crunch time. Can he deliver that?

hasnt he already when zetterberg went out, i dont even wanna know how many times we would have lost or been shutout without this man on our team. Yeah he still has a lot to prove in the post season, but those of you who are fighting against the give him a chance supporters, why not give him a chance, i think its the least he deserves after carrying us through the hardships of losing our top scorer and watching our top line fall to pieces with holmstrom suffering an injury earlier too.

Just now is holmstrom stepping up to where he used to be and helping out, finally shaking off his rust from the injury i hope. This man has done nothing but provide for this team, and it still isnt good enough. He has become a mature player, playing defense and basically skating hard every shift.

If he steps up in the playoffs i want all of you to come back here and apologize one by one, because I am almost sure he has finally shifted into the player we need. What more could we ask for, but still we want more, we want someone with "better? numbers. Guess what, we could bring in a Drury of Briere but who said they would share the chemistry that Pavs shares with our team.

I really cannot believe the way some of you are acting after this man almost singlehandedly kept the red wings going, cause for a period of time, i didnt see ANYONe else stepping up and putting pucks in the net.

I wouldn't call Holland a gambler simply because he finally woke up and took a chance on Bertuzzi. When it comes to contracts and re-signing his players, sadly this is exactly what I'd expect from Holland. Even if the cap is rising, Datsyuk still isn't a $7 M player. No, stupid is what it is.

I really do enjoy watching Dats out there in our jersey. But I do have to agree it is a lot. There are only a handfull of guys in the league who I would pay that much: Iginla, Luongo, Heatley, Lidstrom, Lecavalier, Thornton and when there time comes Crosby and Ovechkin. That is it. There may be a name or two that I am not thinking of on there, but that is it.

hasnt he already when zetterberg went out, i dont even wanna know how many times we would have lost or been shutout without this man on our team.

If he steps up in the playoffs i want all of you to come back here and apologize one by one, because I am almost sure he has finally shifted into the player we need.

I really cannot believe the way some of you are acting after this man almost singlehandedly kept the red wings going, cause for a period of time, i didnt see ANYONe else stepping up and putting pucks in the net.

I agree with what you are saying. He has been incredible for our team this year. During our loosing skid a while back he was the only one doing s*** all. He deserved a raise and has earned our respect. No way will I come on here and apologize though. I have backed Dats most of the way ... I do like the guy, I think he is one of the most entertaining guys in the league to watch. But I have used the following line before and I will use it again. I am not willing to pay a guy top dollar(not my choice though) for a regular season filled with nifty goals, and sweet psses for a no-show playoff performance. I have faith he can be that guy, I really do. But he HAS to do it. We have signed him to a huge deal, that in the event it fails, will be disasterous. But I will say I am backing him. I hope he has a great run in teh spring this year.

Edited by arnoldbuck

I agree with what you are saying. He has been incredible for our team this year. During our loosing skid a while back he was the only one doing s*** all. He deserved a raise and has earned our respect. No way will I come on here and apologize though. I have backed Dats most of the way ... I do like the guy, I think he is one of the most entertaining guys in the league to watch. But I have used the following line before and I will use it again. I am not willing to pay a guy top dollar(not my choice though) for a regular season filled with nifty goals, and sweet psses for a no-show playoff performance. I have faith he can be that guy, I really do. But he HAS to do it. We have signed him to a huge deal, that in the event it fails, will be disasterous. But I will say I am backing him. I hope he has a great run in teh spring this year.

really? So you would rather give the top dollar then to langer who performs in the playoffs for us and sits on his ass and does jack s*** during the regular season? I wouldnt. Remember step 1 is the regular season, step 2 is the postseason. Cant get to step 2 without step 1. Dats is the number 1 reason we have had an amazing step 1.

So second option, sit back and watch dats step up in the post season, then watch his stock rise and some other team offer him more, other teams with MUCH more to play with in their cap ceiling than we have. I wouldnt wanna take that risk.

So many people on here cry and cry about when someone talks about breaking up the best line in hockey, the Z Dats and Homer line, well guess what looks like we'll be having the line through the playoffs hopefully, if not next season for sure, so they can pick up where they left off. If you have any better ideas of how to spend the money please let me know.

Also with the salary cap being raised and langer hopefully being dropped for being a lazy ass, this isnt as bad as it seems, and should give us enough to resign calder and bert.

I am going to make the comparison. He contract isn't for seven years, but the average is nearly the same. I don't care if the deal was a 1 year 6.7 mill contract. The fact is we are paying him the same amount per season and is he going to give us the same return? I am not talking about a bunch of highlight reel-goals and plays, but a legit shot everytime he plays to win the game. And go to man at crunch time. Can he deliver that?

I believe he will.

But a $6.75M contract for 4 years is much better for the player than a $6.7M contract for 7 years, because salaries go up every year by 7-10%. At that rate, Luongo will get at least $8.5M per year after his current contract expires. Which means that by signing for 7 years Datsyuk gave up potential raises in years 5,6, and 7 compared to Luongo. So his average over the next 7 years is much lower than Luongo's. You can not compare contracts of different lengths without adjusting for that. To earn the same amount as Luongo over the next 7 years, Datsyuk would have to earn over $7.5M per year. Someone who makes $4.34M today will, if his salary grows at the same rate as the league average, earn $6.7M in 7 years. Why don't you compare Datsyuk to players like Hejduk, Modano, Hemsky, Demitra, Kariya, Arnott, Marleau, Glen Murray, Gionta, Holik, Satan, Cole, Alfredsson, Kovalev, all of whom are making around $4-$4.5M on average. Is Datsyuk comparable with those players in his contribution? Certainly. Of all those players only Alfredsson is even close to Datsyuk's point production this season.

for Datsuk: :clap:

I've been hard on him because after his last negotiation I thought and said his allegance was only to money and his desire to stay no more then an invitation to outbid everyone's services for him. I mocked his saying he wanted to stay here for his career.

Well, he delivered, I congratulate him for that and am big enough to come out and say I was wrong about him. I have always considered him a loaner player and not really a Red Wing and was sure once U was added to FA he would be gone. That's going to change now.

On the cap, sure it's a big investment, but in a big player It's manageable for the commitment and skill we get from him and down the line it will become really cap friendly as the cap goes up.

Way to go Dats!

How do you spell relief? DATSYUK 7 YEAR DEAL :!: :D

All I can say is SIGH OF RELIEF!!! :clap::clap::clap:

I think that thinking of this contract from a long term standpoint is what will make the most sence. We really won't know that the signing may be a bargin in 5 years when the league's ellite are earning more then him by a few million. Anyway, this is a great move for the organization. We only hope he stays healthy!

Edited by servo

really? So you would rather give the top dollar then to langer who performs in the playoffs for us and sits on his ass and does jack s*** during the regular season? I wouldnt. Remember step 1 is the regular season, step 2 is the postseason. Cant get to step 2 without step 1. Dats is the number 1 reason we have had an amazing step 1.

So second option, sit back and watch dats step up in the post season, then watch his stock rise and some other team offer him more, other teams with MUCH more to play with in their cap ceiling than we have. I wouldnt wanna take that risk.

So many people on here cry and cry about when someone talks about breaking up the best line in hockey, the Z Dats and Homer line, well guess what looks like we'll be having the line through the playoffs hopefully, if not next season for sure, so they can pick up where they left off. If you have any better ideas of how to spend the money please let me know.

Also with the salary cap being raised and langer hopefully being dropped for being a lazy ass, this isnt as bad as it seems, and should give us enough to resign calder and bert.

I agreed with you in the first place. And I am aware - as I said above - that Dats has been smoking for us this season. As for paying lang top-dollar, gimme a break. I'm dont think too many people reading this think I implied that. I know regular season success is crucial to even make the playoffs, but if I had to have a guy who only got 55-60 regular season points (not implying lang by any stretch) but was a true work horse and come playoff time single handedly powered us through, I would go with that. The Stanley Cup means more to me than the Art Ross champ on my team. And as for top dollar ... I mentioned above the only guys I thought truly worthy of that money.

So to avoid any further debate of my apparent anti-Dats status I will state cleary ... I love Dats. He is not only entertaining, but has been a very important part of our team this season through injuries and loosing streaks. His play has steadily improved over the months, and he is producing with a variety of players. We have awarded him a contract which may pay off huge if he does produce in April and May as he has through the fall and winter. Other teams cant touch him now regardless of what he does.

But in a salary cap world, you can't help but be a little nervous for your club when you see the future and fate of your franchises success gambled upon a players who has not proven his all-round game yet.

I hope for Dats all the best over the next 7 seasons. I think if he starts off in October just as he has finished the season, he has a shot at hitting 100 pts. But I want him to be the guy in game 7, overtime, to intercept a pass a score to advance us ... can he ... will he do that? Just a few more days and we will see.

I agreed with you in the first place. And I am aware - as I said above - that Dats has been smoking for us this season. As for paying lang top-dollar, gimme a break. I'm dont think too many people reading this think I implied that. I know regular season success is crucial to even make the playoffs, but if I had to have a guy who only got 55-60 regular season points (not implying lang by any stretch) but was a true work horse and come playoff time single handedly powered us through, I would go with that. The Stanley Cup means more to me than the Art Ross champ on my team. And as for top dollar ... I mentioned above the only guys I thought truly worthy of that money.

So to avoid any further debate of my apparent anti-Dats status I will state cleary ... I love Dats. He is not only entertaining, but has been a very important part of our team this season through injuries and loosing streaks. His play has steadily improved over the months, and he is producing with a variety of players. We have awarded him a contract which may pay off huge if he does produce in April and May as he has through the fall and winter. Other teams cant touch him now regardless of what he does.

But in a salary cap world, you can't help but be a little nervous for your club when you see the future and fate of your franchises success gambled upon a players who has not proven his all-round game yet.

I hope for Dats all the best over the next 7 seasons. I think if he starts off in October just as he has finished the season, he has a shot at hitting 100 pts. But I want him to be the guy in game 7, overtime, to intercept a pass a score to advance us ... can he ... will he do that? Just a few more days and we will see.

nah man dont worry, im not bashing your man love status for dats hahaha, and i know you respect him, but honestly i think you just have jitters because of the cap and its a risk signing anyone for that much money and length of time, but honestly i think if we would have sat around and waited to make sure the risk factor was gone, we'd be sitting around with a lot less than we have now. I could be wrong as well, but i for one accept this risk

nah man dont worry, im not bashing your man love status for dats hahaha, and i know you respect him, but honestly i think you just have jitters because of the cap and its a risk signing anyone for that much money and length of time, but honestly i think if we would have sat around and waited to make sure the risk factor was gone, we'd be sitting around with a lot less than we have now. I could be wrong as well, but i for one accept this risk

Man love ... haha ... what can I say ... 'he had me at hello'

For those of you complaining that he isn't a playoff performer, I ask you to wait and see this year's results before pooh-poohing this deal.

But... keep in mind that in order to be a playoff performer, you have to first make the playoffs. Remember that Pavel has been an integral part of our drive to the playoffs every year that he has played in Detroit (except maybe the first year).

I am really happy that we have him locked down for 7 years. Don't you all think that signing Zetterburg will be easier when his contract is up with having Pasha there as a partner?

I'm not saying I completely agree with it, I'm just responding to your point about the long term discount.

I second that, and at $6.7 M Holland didn't even manage to get a discount out of all those years! :thumbdown:

Not to mention his incentive to prove everyone wrong and land his one big chance at a huge UFA payday this playoffs is now gone as he'll be fat and happy with $47 million either way. Some negotiating. Could this deal have been done any more on Datsyuk's terms or at a time better for him and not for the team? :thumbdown:

It's not that I'm anti-Datsyuk, but goddamn, this contract is folly.

Not to mention his incentive to prove everyone wrong and land his one big chance at a huge UFA payday this playoffs is now gone as he'll be fat and happy with $47 million either way. Some negotiating. Could this deal have been done any more on Datsyuk's terms or at a time better for him and not for the team? :thumbdown:

It's not that I'm anti-Datsyuk, but goddamn, this contract is folly.

please explain to me why he will be fat with his money and all his desire to play well will disappear, that sounds retarded

this deal is terrible. I like Holland and this renegotiating contract stuff is something that he shines in, but not today. Why the hell would we play the waiting game with Dats if we're just going to give him 6.75 in the end. Holland is well known for his largely incentive based contracts, and I can not believe that he would not make playoff performance an incentive in this contract. Also 7 years!? WTF? I would have much rather let Dats walk and signed Chris Drury or Daniel Briere. How the hell are we supposed to sign Z, Bert, and Calder now? Like I said, I usually like Holland and his deal, but this one is very very bad. The plus side is dats is a good player and we have him for a very long time. Sadly, the lenght is also one of the downsides.