• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DetroitRockCity13

FoxSports' First Round Predictions..

Rate this topic

... and Hasek is not Legace.

Agreed. This alone will give the team more confidence. Not saying they will win because I will doubt them in every game but thats me.

As for the prediction its from Al Strachan. He's one of the most opinionated people in the world and is often wrong about stuff. not saying predictions hold any water but this guy has his favs for sure. Did you notice every canadian team won in his predictions?

Edited by StevieY9802

What's wrong with Chelios? :blink:

They said he had a lower or upper body injurty whatever it was. And he sat out against the Hawks on Saturday. He was at practice yesterday and isn't expected to miss any time. You shouldn't worry about it.

From Ansar Khan's Mlive blog:

"Everybody else who's been bothered by a nagging injury lately -- Dominik Hasek, Nicklas Lidstrom, Chris Chelios -- is fine and ready to go."

They've also got a bunch more upsets, such as Minnesota over Anaheim, and the Rangers over the Thrashers.

Check out the whole article..

Where was he wrong in anything that he said? Datysuk's playoff career could be the biggest bomb in the history of sports. The playoffs are about guts, grit and determination. Where have the Wings displayed any of these qualites over hte past 3 playoffs? He's right on all accounts.

And Minnesota and the Rangers winning aren't really upsets. Minnesota and Anaheim are seperated by a handful of points and Atlants isn't all that deep. They earned the #3 spot from playing in a weaker division than the Rangers.

Detroit will be ready for the trap, and Hasek is not Legace.

I haven't seen any evidence of how the Wings could be ready for it. They've been destroyed by it the last 3 seasons and in the playoff-type games they played in down the stretch they still had no answer for it as they scored one goal in 4 straight games where they faced it.

Edited by Hank

Don't know if I would really consider the wings underdogs but the expectations from the media seem to be pretty low. But you know if they win you will hear the media will say it was because they were supposed to and if they lose they will say how the wings keep choking. Gotta love the media.

Almost everyone on XM204 Home Ice has the Flames beating the Wings.

Their line of thinking is that every year there's always one big upset and with the Wings track record their as good as gold to provide it.

The only other major upsets that could occur would be the Islanders or Lightning winning. All the other matchups are tossups. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if any of the 8 teams in the West went to the Cup. But saying that, Detroit had another strong regular season and on paper, they are better than the Flames.

But like Fox said, in the playoffs it's less about skill and more about will and I think the Flames have a lot more of that than the Wings.

Almost everyone on XM204 Home Ice has the Flames beating the Wings.

Their line of thinking is that every year there's always one big upset and with the Wings track record their as good as gold to provide it.

The only other major upsets that could occur would be the Islanders or Lightning winning. All the other matchups are tossups. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if any of the 8 teams in the West went to the Cup. But saying that, Detroit had another strong regular season and on paper, they are better than the Flames.

But like Fox said, in the playoffs it's less about skill and more about will and I think the Flames have a lot more of that than the Wings.

Yeah, the Wings don't want to win. Let's get all go out and buy 8 feet of rope and pick out a nice patch of trees and Hank will call out when to jump.

Edited by Wings_Dynasty

Don't know if I would really consider the wings underdogs but the expectations from the media seem to be pretty low. But you know if they win you will hear the media will say it was because they were supposed to and if they lose they will say how the wings keep choking. Gotta love the media .

No, I don't. :lol: But, I think you're right. Of course, the Wings have been underestimated all season long, and have had enough little hiccups along the way to "prove" the media "right" that our vets are old and slow and the Wings don't have what it takes.

So, how did they wind up conference champs again, even with key players missing? I wonder. :rolleyes: I say, let them underestimate the Wings. I like it. Lowered expectations and all, I think this sort of stuff just makes the Wings more determined to prove themselves. They certainly don't believe the media spewings, and that's a good thing!

Yeah, the Wings don't want to win. Let's get all go out and buy 8 feet of rope and pick out a nice patch of trees and Hank will call out when to jump.

Yeah, because that's exactly what I said. Nice twisting my words dink.

The fact is, teams can want it, but some teams want it more and they play like that. There's no denying that the Ducks, Flames and Oilers all played harder and with more desperation than the Wings did in their respective series'.

How many 1st periods have we watched since '03 where the Wings came out like it was an exhibition?

I'm not trying to be a downer, only a realist. I will watch every game, like I do every year, and cheer the Wings on. But I'm not going to get depressed again over another early exit. The Flames are a good team and I think they're style of play trumps the Wings. Calgary is Scissors and the Wings are Paper.

I can only hope I'm proven wrong.

Edited by Hank

Remember 1997 no one expected us to win, because we didn't win in 1995 and 1996. It doesn't bother me if people are picking Calgary.

Maybe because of our 3 early exits from the playoffs, the pressure is on Calgary to win.

Eerily familiar to the 97 Cup run. The Wings were favored for many years heading into the playoffs, and failed once the time came to step up. In 97, no one was picking them, and they went on to win it all.

Here's hoping the same thing happens! :sly:

Remember 1997 no one expected us to win, because we didn't win in 1995 and 1996. It doesn't bother me if people are picking Calgary.

Maybe because of our 3 early exits from the playoffs, the pressure is on Calgary to win.

You SOB. :P We even posted at the exact same time!

Amen.

And here's hoping that the Wings players themselves are tired of being playoff laughing-stocks as well.

The fact is, teams can want it, but some teams want it more and they play like that. There's no denying that the Ducks, Flames and Oilers all played harder and with more desperation than the Wings did in their respective series'.

How many 1st periods have we watched since '03 where the Wings came out like it was an exhibition?

I'm not trying to be a downer, only a realist. I will watch every game, like I do every year, and cheer the Wings on. But I'm not going to get depressed again over another early exit. The Flames are a good team and I think they're style of play trumps the Wings. Calgary is Scissors and the Wings are Paper.

You do realize that both Calgary and Detroit have changed considerably since 2004?

Calgary is a little better offensively, not nearly as good defensively, and a lot less gritty.

Detroit, on the other hand, still has the advantage in offensive depth, but also has improved greatly in the areas of defense and grit.

This will be a totally different series than the last time around.

Their early losses have made me pessimistic about this year. But I wouldn't say the wings want it any more or less, this year, than any other team. You're lack of hope may be judged by the last three seasons but to say they want it any less this year you won't be able to judge it until at least thursday. now I agree that they have played that way in the past or is seems that way from watching. What I think they need to do is come out hittong on thursday. watching those looks back on the 97 season and hearing Drapes say how the first shift of the finals that Mac and Malts were finishing every check I think that could help set the tone early. Make the Flames know you won't get pushed around. Just my opinion.

You do realize that both Calgary and Detroit have changed considerably since 2004?

Calgary is a little better offensively, not nearly as good defensively, and a lot less gritty.

Detroit, on the other hand, still has the advantage in offensive depth, but also has improved greatly in the areas of defense and grit.

This will be a totally different series than the last time around.

I agree eva. The Wings this year know they have to work hard to get the victory. I think the 2004 team, after all the success, just figured the Cup would be handed to them. Plus teams have been taking Calgary seriously since 2004.

Edit: Funny how the media isn't talking about how the Flames last year went out in the 1st round as well. Also, it's funny how the Flames are considered the better playoff team because they went to the finals in 2004, forgetting the fact that we, not only went to the finals in 1995, 1997, 1998, and 2002, but won 3 of them.

Edited by Barrie

They've also got a bunch more upsets, such as Minnesota over Anaheim, and the Rangers over the Thrashers.

Check out the whole article..

Points wise, yeh Minny & the Rangers would be called "upsets". But I pick 'em both to advance. :rolleyes:

Anaheim just looks ripe for a spanking, and booted the 1st round.

The Blue shirts, if Jagr is interested, should beat the Thrashers. Plus I figure there's no way Shanahan lets that team stink it up 1st round.

Their early losses have made me pessimistic about this year. But I wouldn't say the wings want it any more or less, this year, than any other team. You're lack of hope may be judged by the last three seasons but to say they want it any less this year you won't be able to judge it until at least thursday. now I agree that they have played that way in the past or is seems that way from watching. What I think they need to do is come out hittong on thursday. watching those looks back on the 97 season and hearing Drapes say how the first shift of the finals that Mac and Malts were finishing every check I think that could help set the tone early. Make the Flames know you won't get pushed around. Just my opinion.

I totally agree about the hitting thing. They need to send a message very early on with some big hits. Send out Bert with Malts and Drapes and then send out Franzen and Calder with Homer. All those guys will finish their checks.

Regarding how different Calgary is from 04, you are right, but it's not like they're a completely different team. They still have a very physical defense (including Phaneuf who wasn't there in 04), and their forward core still relies heavily on forechecking and dump-and-chase hockey. They still have a lot more forwards that finish their checks and will go into danger zones than the Wings.

And we all know Playfair isn't an idiot. He's going to use the same strategy that all the other teams did to knock out the Wings early. And I'm still not convinced that the Wings have an answer to that strategy. They certainly didn't show it on their last Western road trip.

But again, I hope I'm wrong. Regardless, I'm going to watch each game and enjoy it win or lose. This is the first year in a long time where I'm not expecting the Wings to do jack. Anything beyond the 1st round is gravy.

Funny how the media isn't talking about how the Flames last year went out in the 1st round as well. Also, it's funny how the Flames are considered the better playoff team because they went to the finals in 2004, forgetting the fact that we, not only went to the finals in 1995, 1997, 1998, and 2002, but won 3 of them.

Yeah, but our 02 team was a LOT different than our '04 and '06 teams while Calgary's '04 team is a lot closer to their '07 team.

Edited by Hank

Alright, first off anything can happen in sports, upsets, injuries, momentum change, bad bounces crap like that can change a great team and boost another, so my friends who really can talk sh*t when the playoffs havent even gone 1 game into it.

I'm not going to predict, but rather sit and watch and see what happens.

GO WINGS.