• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
IceMunkee

Nashville or San Jose?

Rate this topic

The series is tight. Could go either way. I would prefer to play Nashville becuase we dominated them in regular season and I believe we can still. I think we can beat the Sharks but it would be a bit more difficult to do. Also travel time is much, much less far.

What do you think???

I would prefer the Red Wings take care of Calgary before any of this, but looking ahead the Predators appear to be a much better match-up for the Wings. San Jose and Anaheim are the two teams whose style of play could present trouble to the Red Wings. Plus, travel and the the start time of the games would be much better with Nashville than San Jose. That being said, the Sharks are going to beat the Predators (again), so this may not matter.

Edited by GoWings1905

I'd much rather face Nashville, which is why I'm swallowing my dislike of them and hoping they beat San Jose whom I most definitely wish to avoid if possible.

How about Dallas upsets Vancouver? That's my iddeal scenario then I can gladly watch and cheer as San Jose slaps around Nashville, dirty play and all.

This is all of course Moot as we're still facing Calgary of course, don't want to get ahead of myself.

Dallas, then SJ, then Nashville. I think SJ is better than Nashville but not nearly as dirty. Nashville would take out at least one of our players, which obviously we do not want.

I like the Sharks, they're an exciting offense-oriented team who could go far if they get hot. I'd like to see them beat Nashville, but as far as matchups go I think we'd all rather see Nashville/Detroit since the Wings have had their number all season...plus they won't have to travel across the continent to play games.

Edited by StaticWithABeat

Guest GordieSid&Ted

The series is tight. Could go either way. I would prefer to play Nashville becuase we dominated them in regular season and I believe we can still. I think we can beat the Sharks but it would be a bit more difficult to do. Also travel time is much, much less far.

What do you think???

SAN JOSE!

Couple of reasons:

1. Although we're playing a very phsyical and tough and hard skating series with Calgary. I think it'd be easier on the guys to match up with San Jose, a team that plays more like the Wings, with fluid offense and less crash and bang. Maybe it'd be less wear and tear, I dunno.

2. San Jose is very lucky that Marleau and Bernier aren't gone from the playoffs, very lucky. Nashville has a bad rep for a reason and they have far too many 3rd and 4th line guys who contribute very little other than going 100 mph and trying to kill the opposition. That bothers me and I don't want to see it in a 7 game series. It was alright once in awhile in the reg. season but I don't know about every other night for 2 weeks.

I think a Detroit/San Jose series would show alot of skating, puck possession, powerplays and offense. I think a Detroit/Nashville series could be anything. You could have a night where the Wings manhandle them like they did with Calgary but you could also have games where Nashville is running around drilling everyone, getting us off our game, disrupting our puck possession and maybe they get hot offensively and we could easily lose those games. Nashville has less talent through their 4 lines than Detroit or San Jose but they have a s***load of passion and that can carry you a long way in the playoffs. As we all know, passion and hard work has trumped outright skill a bunch of times in our past.

I'll take San Jose, let Lids matchup with Thornton and Marleau. Our guys can keep up with the Michalek's and Bernier's and Clowe's. We won't have to worry about guys like Tootoo and Nichol doing nothing but trying to hurt people.

That's just my take. Although we really need to see how we fare in Calgary. Calgary was a beast this year at home and we could easily be going back to Detroit 2-2. Calgary reminds me alot of Nashville, good top 2 lines, young defense but lots of agression and hard hitting. We could all be in for a shock tonight. I'm keeping my fingers crossed though.

SAN JOSE!

Couple of reasons:

1. Although we're playing a very phsyical and tough and hard skating series with Calgary. I think it'd be easier on the guys to match up with San Jose, a team that plays more like the Wings, with fluid offense and less crash and bang. Maybe it'd be less wear and tear, I dunno.

2. San Jose is very lucky that Marleau and Bernier aren't gone from the playoffs, very lucky. Nashville has a bad rep for a reason and they have far too many 3rd and 4th line guys who contribute very little other than going 100 mph and trying to kill the opposition. That bothers me and I don't want to see it in a 7 game series. It was alright once in awhile in the reg. season but I don't know about every other night for 2 weeks.

I think a Detroit/San Jose series would show alot of skating, puck possession, powerplays and offense. I think a Detroit/Nashville series could be anything. You could have a night where the Wings manhandle them like they did with Calgary but you could also have games where Nashville is running around drilling everyone, getting us off our game, disrupting our puck possession and maybe they get hot offensively and we could easily lose those games. Nashville has less talent through their 4 lines than Detroit or San Jose but they have a s***load of passion and that can carry you a long way in the playoffs. As we all know, passion and hard work has trumped outright skill a bunch of times in our past.

I'll take San Jose, let Lids matchup with Thornton and Marleau. Our guys can keep up with the Michalek's and Bernier's and Clowe's. We won't have to worry about guys like Tootoo and Nichol doing nothing but trying to hurt people.

That's just my take. Although we really need to see how we fare in Calgary. Calgary was a beast this year at home and we could easily be going back to Detroit 2-2. Calgary reminds me alot of Nashville, good top 2 lines, young defense but lots of agression and hard hitting. We could all be in for a shock tonight. I'm keeping my fingers crossed though.

Your thoughts have made me reconsider my position. I think I would still rather play the Ville but your insite makes facing San Hose a little less scary.

Lots of assumptions here, I dislike this thread.. BUT, that being said, I'll offer my own assumptions! :P

Wouldn't the #1 seed get the next lowest seed that survives? I think that will be the Sharks w/the #5. Tough team, but better than facing the Good-Squad that is the Preds right now. f*** the Preds and their tactics, I hope that series ends in 5 to shut them the hell up.

Lots of assumptions here, I dislike this thread.. BUT, that being said, I'll offer my own assumptions! :P

Wouldn't the #1 seed get the next lowest seed that survives? I think that will be the Sharks w/the #5. Tough team, but better than facing the Good-Squad that is the Preds right now. f*** the Preds and their tactics, I hope that series ends in 5 to shut them the hell up.

You are very correct the #1 seed would definitly face the next lowest surviving. Which if Detroit wins definitly won't be Calgary. Minnasota is very unlikely to make it to the next round. Dallas has a chance but is down in the series by one, still seems to favor Vancouver. (I would love to face Dallas) The next possible seed would be Nashville or San Hose. So assumptions, or spectulations as I would like to put it, are the topic of this thread. The options to post is your own!

Although half my heart agrees with you, I would like to see them leave in round 1 again.... To shut them up. Although San Jose is a tough team. :ph34r:

To answer the question, i don't prefer anyone. I don't like to root for a team just so we can play them. Kinda like the situation in the World Series with the Tigers when everyone wanted the Cardinals to beat the Mets because the Cardinals weren't as good. That turned out wonderful. I'm not saying the Tigers could have beaten the Mets easily, because in the playoffs, in any sport, no series is easy. However, i am rooting for the Sharks in this series because i hate the Thrashers more than any team in the NHL. SHARKS IN 6.

Edited by Dano33

Sharks might be too beat up from the series so I would say Sharks and plus It be fun to see the preds get knocked out of the first round again and have their fans say crazy stuff to Wing fans like "that our team will just get knocked out in the first round." every time someone talks about playoffs.

Edited by Jwo

Right now I'd like Calgary. After game 3, Calgary again in game 4 and 5,6,7 if necessary. Once that is all settled let's talk about this again...

I am not trying to be a smart ass, but I wish these "Who's Next?" threads would stop until there needs to be a next. It won't matter until we take care of Calgary.

Nashville, partly because the Wings seem to match up well with them, and partly because I'm starting to dislike their team more and more for the way some of their guys play the game. Cheap shots and the like. Sorry to the Predators fans that routinely post in here and that I have plenty of respect for, but I'm just liking your team less and less.

That doesn't mean though that I fear San Jose because they might play a "physical" style of hockey. If the Wings advance past Calgary and have to play them, bring 'em on.

I'd rather worry about taking care of business against Calgary first, because even though the Wings are up 2-0, this series is FAR FROM OVER. The Wings have been on both ends of the spectrum in this scenario (blowing series against Colorado in '99 and Los Angeles in '01, and winning against Vancouver in '02), so it is extremely wise not to get ahead of ourselves.

Right now I'd like Calgary. After game 3, Calgary again in game 4 and 5,6,7 if necessary. Once that is all settled let's talk about this again...

I am not trying to be a smart ass, but I wish these "Who's Next?" threads would stop until there needs to be a next. It won't matter until we take care of Calgary.

You do make a valid point as well.

SAN JOSE!

Couple of reasons:

1. The Sharks play a physical puck possession style of game, that prospered in game 3. Nashville's defense got worn out by all the crashing and banging. Although the Sharks do sometime like playing like the Wings

2.It is actually Cheechoo not Marleau who got the knee to knee hit from Hartnell. Cheech has been not been 100%. Berier is quite okay, he did get lucky.

Marleau and Thornton play on Different line so pick your poison. Sharks play a physical puck possession, they play to any style put play grinding it road games the best, get shots on goal and get the rebounds or deflections.

Like you said both teams need to make it our of the first round first.

sharks in 6. its going to be a good series between the two. i am real glad to get rid of one of the two. i just hope that if we play sj Nabokov is in net bc we have his number

If the Wings were to get to Nabby the Sharks can throw Vesa Toskala in to turn it around in a best of seven.

And also don't forget how many powerplay goals the Wings have given up to SJ.

Getting to the 2nd Round is not a given.

It's natural to look ahead and try to sort this thing out.

As a Sharks fan, I would welcome a series with Detroit.

I don't base that on regular season stats. I look at the overall depth of both teams and I think San Jose would match-up nicely.

BUT...Nashville is good and nothing accomplished yet.