• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
aarond

Some of you fans are so fickle...

Rate this topic

I wonder if any of you watched or paid any attention to the Calgary Flames this season. If so, how can you not realize that the Flames are a completely different team at home than they are on the road? They’ve been that way all season long. They’re one of the few teams in the NHL whom home ice advantage really makes a substantial difference for. I don't know exactly why that is, I just know that it is.

So the Wings completely and utterly DOMINATE games one and two, and everybody was riding high after those two games. Then they go on the road to play one of the toughest home teams in the NHL this season, and they lose two close, tough, hard-fought games and now there are a bunch of you are stepping out onto the ledge. What the hell is wrong with you people?

The Wings probably aren’t going to win the cup. There are a few teams that are better built for the playoff war of attrition. But how in the blue hell can you people who are now predicting our demise in this series be so F-ing fickle? You call yourselves fans? You’re an embarrassment!

You've been around here long enough to know how it goes. Win a couple games, the Wings are the best team in the world. Lose a couple games, the Wings couldn't beat a special olympics team.

I swear, this board is bi-polar. Perhaps some lithium would be a good idea.

I wonder if any of you watched or paid any attention to the Calgary Flames this season. If so, how can you not realize that the Flames are a completely different team at home than they are on the road? They’ve been that way all season long. They’re one of the few teams in the NHL whom home ice advantage really makes a substantial difference for. I don't know exactly why that is, I just know that it is.

So the Wings completely and utterly DOMINATE games one and two, and everybody was riding high after those two games. Then they go on the road to play one of the toughest home teams in the NHL this season, and they lose two close, tough, hard-fought games and now there are a bunch of you are stepping out onto the ledge. What the hell is wrong with you people?

The Wings probably aren’t going to win the cup. There are a few teams that are better built for the playoff war of attrition. But how in the blue hell can you people who are now predicting our demise in this series be so F-ing fickle? You call yourselves fans? You’re an embarrassment!

Calm down, have some dip.

Also, the Flames coming into game 5 are not the same Flames that came into game 1. We are also not the same team. Doubt from some is warranted after seeing the last 2 games.

Well said. I am amazed at how well we played in Calgary. I figured we'd get pushed around and get shut out at least once. That's not what happened at all, we were definately competitive. I feel reall good about a home win Sat. and it will be another close one on Sunday. Maybe we can pull one out away, if not, game 7 is in our building and I believe we will be on our way to the 2nd round. :thumbup:

You've been around here long enough to know how it goes. Win a couple games, the Wings are the best team in the world. Lose a couple games, the Wings couldn't beat a special olympics team.

QFT

And to add on to that:

If the Wings win a few games, the threads about who the Wings will play next or who'll LIdstrom hand the cup off to first come out.

If the Wings lose a few games, Lang Sucks and should be benched, The Red Wings have no Heart, The Wings goaltending is the problem.

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

It's amazing how the Wings can lose a one goal game, and you come to this forum and the verdict is "they got outplayed," "they have no heart," "they didn't want it," "they got dominated," etc.

Yup this board is as bi-polar as the wings themselves. How one team can look so good in 2 games and then totally change strategies to look useless in the next 2 is beyond me.

And how many threads did we see just like this pop up here and elsewhere in 03, 04 and 06? "Hey guys! Don't get so down! The series is only 2-1!"

"Why are you so negative? We can still win the next 2?"

"I don't understand why all the doom and gloom! We can come back!"

But all the people that said those things obviously didn't actually watch the games. It's not that we lost, but how we lost. We've been losing games like last night and the game before for 4 F**KING YEARS NOW! ONE GOAL F**KING GAMES where we can't seem to score!!! And why??? Because scoring those tying goals demands hard work and smash mouth hockey more than pitsy-patsy hockey. We've been playing *** hockey for 2 games now. What happened to actually playing REAL hockey like at the Joe? Where we actually looked desperate. Where we looked like WE wanted to take control of the game and decide our own destiny instead of watching it unfold.

You go ahead and think the last 2 games were the same as the first 2. Keep thinking that Calgary can't win on the road at the Joe. Afterall, the Wings were a dominant force at home last year too but managed only 1 win out of 3 at the Joe against the Oilers.

The Flames have confidence and momentum now. And down the stretch, when they needed it most, they won 4 road games in a row. That's what winners do; sack up and get the job done. But the Wings wouldn't know anything about that because they're too busy playing grab-ass hockey in Calgary and totally forgetting what got them the 2-0 lead in the first place.

Edited by Hank

Explain to me how they have changed strategies? they're playing the same style that they played in games one and two: possess the puck, use your skill, take a lot of shots. The only difference is that the Flames, for whatever reason, play better at home and their goalie played better than he played in game one. They didn't win those first two games by being scrappier than the Flames. The Flames are grittier. Everybody knows that. They won those first two games by controlling the puck, taking a lot of shots, and they were able to cash in on them. But it's like clockwork on this forum: the outcome of the game determines the cliches you see. Our fans are fickle.

Guest Crymson

I totally agree with your attack on pessimism here. I spent months getting up in arms and bashing people for it, and got nothing for my trouble but a temporary warn. It won't change. People here call themselves fans, but many are more interested in bashing the players and professing doom whenever something bad happens.

Case in point: despite all the bitching, moaning, complaining, nitpicking and finger-pointing, we still got first seed and--if not for shootout record inflation on Buffalo's part--we almost won the President's Trophy. However, this continues to mean nothing to people. I don't get it.

I totally agree with your attack on pessimism here. I spent months getting up in arms and bashing people for it, and got nothing for my trouble but a temporary warn. It won't change. People here call themselves fans, but many are more interested in bashing the players and professing doom whenever something bad happens.

Case in point: despite all the bitching, moaning, complaining, nitpicking and finger-pointing, we still got first seed and--if not for shootout record inflation on Buffalo's part--we almost won the President's Trophy. However, this continues to mean nothing to people. I don't get it.

QFT, Crym... see 10-15 other threads in this forum where people are starting topics to cause more stress and anger. :rolleyes: But, hey, everyone gets to express their opinion here, right?

Guest Crymson

QFT, Crym... see 10-15 other threads in this forum where people are starting topics to cause more stress and anger. :rolleyes: But, hey, everyone gets to express their opinion here, right?

Of course everyone has the right to say whatever they want, and I'll never dispute that. I've just been spending a whole lot less time since being warned because I realized that it's just not worth it. I'll come on to celebrate after a good game or a good play, but I'm through logging on to fight panicmongers and pessimists after losses.

Well I'm gonna defend myself. I'm not fickle, but a realist.

I was cautious after the Wings led 2-0, not riding high.

In another thread a few days ago I posted that the Canucks were up 2-0 in the first series in 2002. So be wary.

I was cautiously optimistic after the first two games, now, not so much.

Explain to me how they have changed strategies? they're playing the same style that they played in games one and two: possess the puck, use your skill, take a lot of shots. The only difference is that the Flames, for whatever reason, play better at home and their goalie played better than he played in game one. They didn't win those first two games by being scrappier than the Flames. The Flames are grittier. Everybody knows that. They won those first two games by controlling the puck, taking a lot of shots, and they were able to cash in on them. But it's like clockwork on this forum: the outcome of the game determines the cliches you see. Our fans are fickle.

Wrong. In the first two games they did play puck-possession hockey, but if they met a wall at the blueline they had no problems chipping the puck in and getting it back with one-on-one battles. I even witnessed them dumping the puck in from 120 feet out when they saw a winger flying into the zone.

Also, we were shooting it a lot more and crashing the net giving their dmen fits. We also seemed to chase down loose pucks and engage in more physical confrontations.

In Games 3 and 4, our team was hell bent on only playing puck possession. Sure, we did dump it in here or there, but we shot FAR less and were looking for the pretty play a LOT more.

The Wings in games 1 and 2 looked like a team I hadn't seen since 1997. The team that played in Calgary looked exactly like the teams I've been used to seeing since '03.

For you to say that we didn't win those first two games from being scrappier makes me wonder if we were watching the same game. That's exactly how we won those games. Everyone from Bob MacKenzie to Pierre McGuire, to Bill Clement to Mickey Redmond has said as much. We outworked, outhussled, outhit and out-willed Calgary in those first two.

And you're right, the cliches do come flying out on these boards at this time of year. You have people who are doom-and gloom, you have realists that can actually see what the Wings are doing wrong, or right and then you have the Flower Childs who think all is right in the world and form opinions that make you wonder if they're at home rubbing themselves with Wings paraphanelia instead of actually watching the games.

Even Lidstrom said today in the paper how they didn't play like they did at home and need to get back to that style of play. They need to be more aggressive.

...Case in point: despite all the bitching, moaning, complaining, nitpicking and finger-pointing, we still got first seed and--if not for shootout record inflation on Buffalo's part--we almost won the President's Trophy. However, this continues to mean nothing to people. I don't get it.

Well, I consider myself a "fan", I pointed out after the first loss at the Saddledome that we could lose every game at Calgary as long as we won at the Joe and still come out ahead. But getting first seed, almost winning the presidents trophy, we have done that for the past few years and still have got bounced in the first or second round...its like working for your paycheck and then never cashing it, almost worthless if you cant finish it off, but never the less I still feel that we can win in Calgary and advance to the second round.

GO WINGS!!!

Of course everyone has the right to say whatever they want, and I'll never dispute that. I've just been spending a whole lot less time since being warned because I realized that it's just not worth it. I'll come on to celebrate after a good game or a good play, but I'm through logging on to fight panicmongers and pessimists after losses.

I understand.

True , people have the right to post what they think , but I agree with you there's too many doom and gloom mongers on this forum .When I log on here I would rather see constructive criticism, instead of some of the BS thats posted . Part of supporting a team in any sport is sticking with them through thick and thin, sadly with alot of people on this board that doesn't happen.

...Case in point: despite all the bitching, moaning, complaining, nitpicking and finger-pointing, we still got first seed and--if not for shootout record inflation on Buffalo's part--we almost won the President's Trophy. However, this continues to mean nothing to people. I don't get it.

I can't believe someone is actually saying that the President's Trophy means something. hahaha! You must be Ken Holland. I would trade in 10000000000000 Presidents Trophy's for 1 Stanley Cup. Heck, I'd trade all of them in for 1 Conference Final appearence.

And while we're talking about inflated regular season totals lets not forget that we get to play Columbus, St.Louis and Chicago a grand total of 24 times. Almost 33% of our games. You put Detroit in any other division in the West and WE might be the 8th seed.

Again, President's Trophy's are for losers. It's like saying your mom thinks you're handsome. Nobody cares.

Edited by Hank

I can't believe someone is actually saying that the President's Trophy means something. hahaha! You must be Ken Holland. I would trade in 10000000000000 Presidents Trophy's for 1 Stanley Cup. Heck, I'd trade all of them in for 1 Conference Final appearence.

And while we're talking about inflated regular season totals lets not forget that we get to play Columbus, St.Louis and Chicago a grand total of 24 times. Almost 33% of our games. You put Detroit in any other division in the West and WE might be the 8th seed.

Again, President's Trophy's are for losers. It's like saying your mom thinks you're handsome. Nobody cares.

I don't understand your way of thinking , to get to the party you gotta be invited . And my way of thinking is that if you win the presidents trophy you have home ice advantage, right ? The way this series with Calgary is panning out home advantage could be the difference between the Wings winning and loosing. It could have helped us all the way to the cup.

I don't understand your way of thinking , to get to the party you gotta be invited . And my way of thinking is that if you win the presidents trophy you have home ice advantage, right ? The way this series with Calgary is panning out home advantage could be the difference between the Wings winning and loosing. It could have helped us all the way to the cup.

Good teams win on the road and away. Look at the '96 Wings. We broke records with 62 wins. And how far did that get us? We got demolished by Colorado. The next year, we had 38 wins and despite not having home-ice advantage in the conference finals and the Stanley Cup finals we won it all.

The regular season is worthy for some teams like the Islanders, Leafs and Flames. For the Wings it's a given. And if last year proves anything, home ice isn't a necessity as we went 1-2 at the Joe before losing to the Oilers.

In this series it might mean something because Calgary is so horrible on the road. But if we do win, we'll more than likely face the Sharks who don't have the same jinx. They'll win on the road and home.

I would actually like to see the Wings face some adversity for once. Maybe fight for a playoff spot so they are in full swing when the playoffs start. They get to coast for 3-4 months of the year. In our weak division, we can take nights off and still pick up points. You can't say the same thing about the other divisions. And an easy road isn't always the best road when you face adversity.

Great post. Agree all around.

Same goes for Crymson. It's about time fans here start looking at things in a real perspective. I swear, all this doubter bulls*** that goes on here is ridiculuos.

Good teams win on the road and away. Look at the '96 Wings. We broke records with 62 wins. And how far did that get us? We got demolished by Colorado. The next year, we had 38 wins and despite not having home-ice advantage in the conference finals and the Stanley Cup finals we won it all.

The regular season is worthy for some teams like the Islanders, Leafs and Flames. For the Wings it's a given. And if last year proves anything, home ice isn't a necessity as we went 1-2 at the Joe before losing to the Oilers.

In this series it might mean something because Calgary is so horrible on the road. But if we do win, we'll more than likely face the Sharks who don't have the same jinx. They'll win on the road and home.

I would actually like to see the Wings face some adversity for once. Maybe fight for a playoff spot so they are in full swing when the playoffs start. They get to coast for 3-4 months of the year. In our weak division, we can take nights off and still pick up points. You can't say the same thing about the other divisions. And an easy road isn't always the best road when you face adversity.

I understand what your talking about , but the Wings have been so strong this season at home, all I'm saying is that the better finish we had in the regular season surely can only work to our advantage.

Edited by glasgowcelticwing

...I agree, some fans are calling it over. The ONLY reason on got on the GDT and said I was sick and tired and was turning it off is because Gary Bettmans rules are making this sport no fun to watch. Sure I was frustrated with the power-less play, sure I was frustrated with the lack of production from the #1 line. I was MORE frustrated with the crap calls (both ways.) Bettman has ruined this game, he has made it so, longtime hockey fans cannot enjoy a game. Sure some guy in Alabama might tune in, but ya know what, as soon as the race comes on, he turns it! Hockey is a regional sport, not a national one! Bettman has gained very few fans around the USA, but lost tons! I am borderline one of those fans he is about to lose! Fire Bettman! Bring back the NHL, for real!

Really, I doubt it's unique to this website in particular... people are nervous, panicky creatures, right?

Really, I doubt it's unique to this website in particular... people are nervous, panicky creatures, right?

And given the Wings track record the past 3 seasons, can anyone blame them?

If you touch a stove and get burned 3 times in a row, would you put your hand back on it without wincing?

I think it's pretty universal, really. A lot of Dallas fans are ready to borrow Manny's rope right now. Honestly, the Stars have played great, and every game is a 1 goal decision, and two of them shutouts for Dallas. Three games are OTs, and one of them (the Late Night Crew's initiation), went 4OTs!! Stars lost. Hysteria ensued. Dallas is looking at a third straight first round and out and they're very jittery about everything, understandably.

Vancouver has the series lead 3-2 now, and I think Dallas could win the next two. I still think the Wings will win this series, too. Sure, they need win 2 out of 3, but they can do it. :thumbup:

Edited by puckloo39