• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
BuckeyeWingsFan

Flames getting slammed by own Media

Rate this topic

The Flames are getting taken to task by their own Media. This is a pretty good article.

Clagary Herald

This part may be my favorite and one of the reasons I am starting to warm to Bertuzzi wearing the Winged Wheel.

At JLA on Saturday, with the upper hand in this suddenly-interesting series at stake, the Flames landed harder than rag-doll Dion Phaneuf after the Ol' Canoli Truck, Todd Bertuzzi, body slammed him to the ice with such casual ferocity you could hear Eddie Whalen up there in the big wrasslin' ring in the sky, squealing: "Now THAT was a ring-a-ding-dong-dandy!"

Wings in 6 BABY!

Edited by BuckeyeWingsFan

"You can debate it forever,'' continued Playfair. "Was it right or wrong, good or bad? All we're focusing on is going home and winning a hockey game. And that's the truth.''

UM...what? If you are being soooo truthful, why didn't you tell it like it is? It was a crappy thing to go out and do. Oh, I see, because part of YOUR gameplan is to take out as many players as you can so you can have an easier job next game...that's really what you were concerned about.

Nice try.

Well, when the Flames lose the Calgary media...they've lost the war. :D

But this little snippet bothered me:

Kirk Maltby bowling over Kiprusoff, too. The Wings got so close to the Kipper he became familiar with the various after-shaves of Holmstrom, Big Bert, Franzen and the rest.

"If they'd call that stuff, everything would settle down,'' argued Warrener. "Especially that chop at Kipper's glove. I mean, if they're not going to take care of it, we will.''

Uh...they DID call Maltby for goaltender interference (even though he was bowled in Kipper by two Calgary players). And Cleary didn't even make contact with Kipper's glove, thus, it shouldn't have been called.

Overall, though, the tone of the article is correct. The Flames made themselves look like a bunch of classless goons...and everyone around the league (except for most of the Flames faithful) saw it.

Here is my favorite part. :clap:

"You try to play all 60 minutes with passion and intensity,'' said Calgary Flames coach Jim Playfair. "To see the emotions spill over in the last five minutes of the game like that . . . it is what it is.''

What it is, is stupid.

Good to see some faithful in Calgary not completely be homers.

To the Flames fans in here, I'll say it over and over again...I love how your team plays aggressive, I like how they are physical, I love the atmosphere in your home building at the Saddledome, but you cannot justify most/all of the Flames actions in the 3rd period yesterday.

You can't.

And I think Iginla's post-game comments disturb me more than the McClennan baseball swing slash on Franzen. Not a good choice of words IMO.

And I think Iginla's post-game comments disturb me more than the McClennan baseball swing slash on Franzen. Not a good choice of words IMO.

I agree! Iginla is not only excusing a team member deliberately trying to injure someone but he's advocating it happening. If he's trying to pump his team up, I think he needs to pump something else up first because that type of crap doesn't make his little "winkie" any bigger. The fact that he wears a "C" on his jersey is an insult to those past and present who served in that role with Honor and dignity (ala #19!)

good article my favorite parts were

When asked about a suspension for his attacker, Franzen shrugged: "I don't care, he's not going to play, anyway."

Nice burn by Franzen, way to throw the fact that the guy is a backup goaltender and a suspension to him would mean nothing for the wings!!!! he isnt even significatn enough to worry about.

And ....

"You try to play all 60 minutes with passion and intensity,'' said Calgary Flames coach Jim Playfair. "I mean if you arent happy with whats going on out there you got to send in your backup netminder to take a cheap shot at someone if you want to gain respect. To see the emotions spill over in the last five minutes of the game like that . . . it is what it is....just great coaching on my part!''

A lil improv but i think i capture the hidden meaning

good article my favorite parts were

When asked about a suspension for his attacker, Franzen shrugged: "I don't care, he's not going to play, anyway."

Nice burn by Franzen, way to throw the fact that the guy is a backup goaltender and a suspension to him would mean nothing for the wings!!!! he isnt even significatn enough to worry about.

And ....

"You try to play all 60 minutes with passion and intensity,'' said Calgary Flames coach Jim Playfair. "I mean if you arent happy with whats going on out there you got to send in your backup netminder to take a cheap shot at someone if you want to gain respect. To see the emotions spill over in the last five minutes of the game like that . . . it is what it is....just great coaching on my part!''

A lil improv but i think i capture the hidden meaning

:lol:

To the Flames fans in here, I'll say it over and over again...I love how your team plays aggressive, I like how they are physical, I love the atmosphere in your home building at the Saddledome, but you cannot justify most/all of the Flames actions in the 3rd period yesterday.

You can't.

I have read so many post game comments in the last 12 hours, could you tell me which comments you are refering too please?

The other thing that sickens me is that there are a bunch of Flame fans happy and find it justified what McLennan did, just plain classless.

edit: Is it the just trying to bring/keep momentum going into game 6 comment that Iginla made?

Edited by JSchlenske

Good article. And yet, it said that Calgary had a right to be PO'd because of Maltby 'bowling over Kiprusoff'.

Seriously have any Calgary fans actually SEEN that play, or were they all listening to it on the radio? How can any person see Maltby get checked directly into the goalie, and still get mad out Maltby? It's mind boggling.

We've had players who looked like they ran Hasek, and on replay you can see our player knocked them into Hasek. When I see that I have to grudgingly agree that it wasn't a penalty. How can you NOT???

- Houdini

x2? :huh:

It's an alternate form of the internet-favorite form of showing laughter, "LOL".

It is derived from the pronounciation of the plural "LOLS".

:D

Good article. And yet, it said that Calgary had a right to be PO'd because of Maltby 'bowling over Kiprusoff'.

Seriously have any Calgary fans actually SEEN that play, or were they all listening to it on the radio? How can any person see Maltby get checked directly into the goalie, and still get mad out Maltby? It's mind boggling.

We've had players who looked like they ran Hasek, and on replay you can see our player knocked them into Hasek. When I see that I have to grudgingly agree that it wasn't a penalty. How can you NOT???

- Houdini

Exactly. Maltby was sandwiched by two Calgary players and into Kipper. We saw it, NBC saw it, even Brett Hull saw it.

You can't.

Not sure why you think we're homers,c'mon.

I have heard no one in Calgary defending McLenan's actions,what he did was stupid.

Having siad that,he's our backup and a suspension means nothing to the Flames.

I will defend Langkow,this guy rarely shows emotion.

When he felt he was lowbridged by Lebda he simply reacted with a punch to the face.

I've also watched the Iginla play many times...I still don't see a butt end.

Flames win tonight and make it a series.

And Iginla still tries to defend what happened at the end of the game, I hate his stupid comments.

"It's not about playing nasty," captain Jarome Iginla said. "It's just about -- it's 5-1 at that point, we don't like some of the whacks that were going on. Just trying to get something physical going at that time. It doesn't matter what they feel about it. We're just trying to keep it going for tomorrow."

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article.../704220711/1053

Edited by tazzer82

When he felt he was lowbridged by Lebda he simply reacted with a punch to the face.

That "punch to the face" resulted in a concussion.

Edited by edicius

I have heard no one in Calgary defending McLenan's actions,what he did was stupid.

Thing is though, Lebda did NOT go low at his knees: Take notice to where Lebda's hip is when he made contact

IPB Image

IPB Image

Edited by tazzer82

I have read so many post game comments in the last 12 hours, could you tell me which comments you are refering too please?

The other thing that sickens me is that there are a bunch of Flame fans happy and find it justified what McLennan did, just plain classless.

edit: Is it the just trying to bring/keep momentum going into game 6 comment that Iginla made?

Pretty much this is all he said in the Associate Press recap. No other quotes I can find/refer to by Iginla.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?service=page&am...&gameType=3

Flames star Jarome Iginla got into the act, with hooking and cross-checking penalties with 43 seconds left with aggressive stick work.

"It was really about getting some fights going at that point to keep our energy up and carry some anger into the next game," Iginla said with several new stitches over his left eye. "We're not going away."

In the matchup of the Western Conference's first- and eight-seeded teams, the home team has won each game.

The Flames hope the trend continues Sunday night in Game 6.

"I like that we're right back at it," Iginla said.

Believe me, I've seen a few in here defend Flames actions yesterday.

I guess that's a bit unfair to mable label a few Flames fans and mesh them into all. But until your post, I haven't seen any Flames fans in here say that some of their actions yesterday in the 3rd were inexcusable.