• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HockeyCrazy3033

Noise noticably absent at the Joe

Rate this topic

it really is a shame, and as far as my situation id probably try to go as many games as possible but it just doesnt work being in DC. I almost thought about taking the train for a game but the logistics are too extreme. I attend what red wings games I can when they come out here (Last year vs Wash, this year vs Philly) but i know that doesnt help the wings in any way <_<

Hey, I'm from VA and I go anytime they're in DC too ... and every time I've been it has seemed like the crowd is at least half Wing's fans ... it makes a big difference when you're 600 miles from home and the crowd is chanting "lets go red wings!"

Hey, I'm from VA and I go anytime they're in DC too ... and every time I've been it has seemed like the crowd is at least half Wing's fans ... it makes a big difference when you're 600 miles from home and the crowd is chanting "lets go red wings!"

hahaha yeah i know, last years game was practically a home game for them here, it was great...how often do you come into dc/how far are you?

Ilitch needs to hire some professional cheerers to put in those empty seats. New jobs, sold out show, loud crowd. Problems solved. Yer welcome.

Seriously though......70 bones for standing room? Exactly why would I leave the house? Games on TV, no driving, no leaving, cheaper food and beers.....I can talk to friends during the game, no line at the washroom,.....geez, why did I ever go to all those games in the first place - oh yeah - all free tix. 5x in the fully catered Bacardi suite.

70 bucks.........dah.

aloha

If the wings made it to the finals, do you think there would be any celebration? Nope.

:crazy:

Are you serious? Detroit would go nuts. That's exactly it. If the Wings make it to the WCF they'll go crazy. If they make it to the SCF..Detroit will be rocking all over again.

I actually wrote about this very topic for my Wings' blog, Behind the Jersey. I compared the Wings and Pistons in terms of their postseason success, sellouts, arena capacity, and ticket sales. I also tried to describe the horrible Michigan economy for those living outside the state.

http://www.behindthejersey.com/2007/04/27/...s-ticket-sales/

- Christy

You'll see changes next year...the Illitchs' will quietly lower the ticket prices, at least for the playoffs, in the off-season. They're much too proud to do it now, for the next round. Its a shame though, it just makes the Joe, the management, the team, and even the city look bad. Come on..."Hockeytown" can't sellout games? Mr. Illitch, you've shamed this great team by pretending Michigan isn't in the most severe economic crisis since THE GREAT DEPRESSION.

You've got to agree with me that any coverage of this by the media is bad press, and only takes away attention from what we're supposed to be concentrating on...the freaking team itself during the second season.

Huge miscalculation by management.

You'll see changes next year...the Illitchs' will quietly lower the ticket prices, at least for the playoffs, in the off-season. They're much too proud to do it now, for the next round. Its a shame though, it just makes the Joe, the management, the team, and even the city look bad. Come on..."Hockeytown" can't sellout games? Mr. Illitch, you've shamed this great team by pretending Michigan isn't in the most severe economic crisis since THE GREAT DEPRESSION.

You've got to agree with me that any coverage of this by the media is bad press, and only takes away attention from what we're supposed to be concentrating on...the freaking team itself during the second season.

Huge miscalculation by management.

Right on with everything you said.

The crowd i was a part of against calgary game 5 was great. we were all in the game waving the towels wild screaming (i even lost my voice). it was awesome. But game 1 although i only saw it on tv seemed like the crowd really was pathetic that nite. But a good point made in here is the wings team that nite weren't sparkin' some energy or reasons for the crowd to cheer soo... that could be a big factor. Im sure saturdays game will have a better crowd though, its saturday, more people, easier to get drunk on the weekend, and also i think the wings being down a game now might make fans want to give a little more support to try to wake this team up.

Yeah I've noticed the decling fans on tv and such so I decided to get a couple tickets for saturdays game to help the cause. But they were WAY to expensive in my mind for where the seats where at so this is like once a year deal I can afford.

Just sneak down low, at least the low part of the upper bowl. The game i was at i noticed their wasnt much security on ticket checking for the sections i was never stopped once to go lower bowl and i bought nose bleed tix.

I wasn't able to see the game (since the NHL choose money over the fans by choosing Versus and only showing it to about 1/8 the nation), but I listened to the radio feed. That was really sad. I don't remember the Joe ever being that quiet in a long time.

Seems like the hype and momentum of the NHL Playoffs in general has disappeared. It isn't what it used to be.

As for playoff ticket prices and fan reaction, well Illitch shouldn't be too shocked.

Edited by aflac9262

Are you serious? Detroit would go nuts. That's exactly it. If the Wings make it to the WCF they'll go crazy. If they make it to the SCF..Detroit will be rocking all over again.

Yes, I am serious. All you have to do is compare the celebration that occured at Comerica Park after the Tiger's advanced to the World Series(Huge freaking celebration, champagne in the locker room etc.), to the Wings every time they have advanced to the finals in their cup years. The organization itself treated winning the Western Conference like it was no big deal(which in my opinion is the right thing to do since just advancing to the finals means nothing).

Yes, I am serious. All you have to do is compare the celebration that occured at Comerica Park after the Tiger's advanced to the World Series(Huge freaking celebration, champagne in the locker room etc.), to the Wings every time they have advanced to the finals in their cup years. The organization itself treated winning the Western Conference like it was no big deal(which in my opinion is the right thing to do since just advancing to the finals means nothing).

:blink:

That is not true at all. When the Wings went to the finals in 97, 98, and 02 everyone in Detroit went out of their minds. I remember the news and everyone of the channels had breaking news of the Wings going to the SCF, and they'd show thousands among thousands of fans just OUTSIDE *not coming from the game* going crazy and celebrating till the wee hours of the morning. They had to have cops outside in every corner because everyone was going SO crazy. As for the champagne and such...the Wings did tha too, they just waited till AFTER they won it all.

Meanwhile, the Tigers make it the World Series and the entire state thinks its the second coming of christ or something. If the wings made it to the finals, do you think there would be any celebration? Nope.

:crazy:

:unsure: You mean it wasn't?!

hahaha yeah i know, last years game was practically a home game for them here, it was great...how often do you come into dc/how far are you?

we don't make it up as often as we should, we're in fredericksburg about an hour south of DC, but my wife and I teach so weeknights pretty much don't happen for us, and weekends usually fill up pretty quick ... now if there was hockey in the summer ... :cool:

sucks to see and hear about we can barely affored gas so how the hell are we gonna be able to affored $100+ playoff tickets along with all the booze and food we are gonna eat there?

QFT :clap::clap::clap:

I have to make $250 every two weeks last, and that means filling my gas tank twice... with gas being $3, and putting $45 in it each time to fill it, well there goes $90 right there. And then theres the Cell phone bill that tops off with $50. So If I were to buy even one ticket after doing all the other things I NEED to do to enjoy my life, that would leave me with give or take $10 until my next pay check that would come in another 2 weeks. And I'm sure my situation is the same for A LOT of die hard fans such as my self. We just simply can not afford it and it really is sad.

Edited by reyalp

I'm completely on board with the reasons why the Joe was not packed on Thursday. However, the crowd that was there was pitiful. I've been a fan since the 60's (you will forget that statement immediately!). I've been to quite a few games, including playoff games, and while I'm usually defending the crowd, I have to say they absolutely stunk. Even my section, which is usually rockin', was sitting on their hands. It was pitiful and I was ashamed of them. As a fan, you're either in or you're out, and these people obviously checked out. It should be mandatory for people to make some noise if they're going to be in the stands. I sure hope the crowd today gives that team the support they deserve.

I went to Game 5 and Game 1. Completely different crowd. Nearly half of the crowd went to the concourse to get beer after the second goal and never came back. The crowd on Game 5 was just awesome. The penalty shot is what really ignited us.

Was really cool for my first playoff game ever to go to an awesome game and have the crowd in full force too. The second one, not so much; not even close.

There are several reasons. First, the fans paid WAY to much to get in the building. Then they are forced to wait in LONG lines for food, beer, or god forbid, use the bathroom. Then, after the cheesy intro, they do NOTHING to create an exciting environment at the Joe. It feels just like any other game you attend throughout the year. If they are feeling really generous, they might give yo a towel that some sponsor paid for. Face it. They do NOTHING to make it feel special. They simply do everything they can to seperate your money from your wallet. After awhile, that gets old.

Heck, the Rangers are now down 2-0 to the Sabres, and I can guarantee you that the Garden will be rocking tomorrow night.

If the wings made it to the finals, do you think there would be any celebration? Nope.

And I can also guarentee you that if the Sabres score two goals within the first 10 mins that the fans will NOT be in the game any more and I would even go so far as to say they would outwardly BOO their team off the ice as a collective whole. They will come out loud and then if the play doesn't warrant cheers, they won't get any.

If the wings make it to the finals I guarantee you that there will be multiple celebrations... The last three times we were in the finals people were on all the street corners around the Westland, Livonia, Canton, Plymouth, Novi, Northville areas during the game celebrating. The first two people were walking the streets with brooms chanting sweep! If you go to any bars during any wings games you will notice a nice collection of people rooting on the team to victory... Just because they don't want to pay the overly inflated prices to attend the game DOES NOT mean they aren't celebrating in clubs and basements around the state.

As for today... looky, looky... the wings actually give the fans something to cheer for and they get cheers. The crowd was taken out early (0:36 into the game actually) Zetterbergs fluky goal revived the crowd... That is all they needed, that is all it would have taken for us to get into the game on thursday night... a single glimpse of the team actually caring about winning the game. I did cheer during the game on thursday, four times to be exact... When the Octipus was thrown on the ice at the end of the national anthem, Mo Cheese's curly shuffle, when the army soldier rode on the Zamboni and finally when the final horn blew to stop the misery. The team needs to do something to earn the cheers of the crowd, case and point. Tonight while blowing it early, they showed determination to come back and thus deservedly received the standing ovation!

Mark my words... As the wings get deeper into the playoffs the Joe will get less and less filled, not because the fans don't care... but because they don't want to have to afford a 500% marked up ticket. I am not willing to pay $500 for two upperbowl tickets for 2-1/2 hours of entertainment... finals or not. I know I can buy a helluva lot of beers for $500 and have an awesome seat on my couch... then after they win, head over to Downtown Plymouth to rock out with the street parties and crazy ass fans!

I went to Game 5 and Game 1. Completely different crowd. Nearly half of the crowd went to the concourse to get beer after the second goal and never came back. The crowd on Game 5 was just awesome. The penalty shot is what really ignited us.

I was at games 1, 2 and 1.... Games one and two they gave us something to cheer for coming out with excitement and we as fans gave it back... I have been to 10 playoff games so far in my life and Game 1 last thursday was the worst effort I have seen the wings put forth to date, in the playoffs. Their effort was totally underserving of any sort of cheers. The crowd was lame, but so were the wings efforts

Edited by OsGOD

Not scoring a goal on Thursday's game didn't help. But yeah, the crowd was quite lame.

Today's crowd sounded great on TV. The arena erupted after Datsyuk scored the goal to give the Wings the lead late in the game. That's what a like to see. :)

I'm sure Illitch is taking this all in right now, and I expect the ticket prices to be lowered a bit next season. It was a sure fire bet the Wings would sell-out a playoff game before, and the only real reason they aren't is the ticket prices are way too high for people to afford in a state that has the worst economy in the entire country. I'm sure, and certainly hope, Illitch does lower the prices next season.

If tickets were the same price as they were for the regular season, I think they could sell 30,000+ tickets. I certainly can't afford Red Wings playoff tickets, but if they were $30 instead of $100, me and my friends would be beating doors down to get them. I think the message has been sent, and prices will come down next year; at least I hope so. Its too bad people outside the state will mistake this for disinterest in hockey, its just not so. I'm wondering if the Fox Sports Net ratings at similar to last year.

None sellouts in the Playoffs will not lead to lower regular season prices.... Right now they are selling 18,000 seats out of 20,000+ right? Well they are charging 200% more for tickets right now than they do in regular season... it will go up to 252% for 3rd round and 500% markup for the 4th round. Even with the non-sellouts in the playoffs thus far they are still grossing MORE money than any given sell out in the regular season. All of this money is extra money as they playoffs are an added bonus to the managment not a guarantee. It kills me that they have to feel the need to raise ticket prices over 200%.

The only lower prices we "may" see will be next years playoffs. Regular season still sells out and has yet to hit the ceiling unfortuantly.

Offsides and I have already donated $500 for three games this post season and we are officially done. That is all I care to spend regardless as to how far they go.

Edited by OsGOD