• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
gcom007

Can Robert Lang Come Around?

Rate this topic

It's been very tough to be a Wings fan and watch Robert Lang this season. That much is absolutely and completely true any way you look at it really. He had a marginal at best regular season and the playoff's have only gone on to amplify the mediocrity. I wouldn't say I was shocked, but I was definitely surprised at how little he played in Game 2 not so much because I felt he deserved to play a lot of minutes so much as because Babcock seems to have a deeper well of hope for the guy than most of the fanbase.

That said, I've really got to wonder if Lang can turn things around as things progress. He's getting more and more games in as we keep winning and I just can't help but believe he's got it in him to be a bigtime player. Let's face it: he's been a big guy for us the last couple of years. Like him or not this year, the last two playoff's, he's arguably been our best player. One would hope and in my opinion could realistically expect that something could give and he could get his A-game back, but what would it take?

Does getting demoted to the 4th line send a message? Does getting 2-3 shifts in the 3rd period of a huge game put things into perspective? Does being blatantly and profusely outplayed night after night by guys getting paid half as much get him thinking? Could a game in the press box once Holmstrom returns drill it home? Heaven knows and I can only hope...

I know he's played lousy. What appears to be a lack of effort and hunger has been fairly visible much of this season. He is absurdly overpaid for how he's played this year. I know. I've heard it all. I've seen it all. Anyone on this board is far too aware of his shortcomings thanks to the countless and rampant threads about it. The bottom line though is that the guy absolutely has the potential to be huge for us. He's been a great player in the past and I don't think there's any reason to believe that he doesn't still have it in him. I don't think he's just tired or washed up. Maybe he's actually playing injured. I have no idea what's going on at all, but I can't help but believe that he could come out of the funk and be huge for us. Something's just gotta give...I don't know what, but something has to happen.

I know I'm better off asking for a million bucks, but how about maintaining a positive, discussion-oriented vibe as opposed to another thread of senseless bashing? We've all heard the bashing. We know. Think positive if only for the sake of the team as a whole. What's it going to take for Robert Lang to get going again? Can he do it? Solely from the standpoint of a Wings fan, I sure hope so. If the guy can play like he has the last couple of years for us, it would be huge. Here's hoping he turns it back on.

Edited by gcom007

To be honest, I don't think he can. I'd love to be wrong but I think he's just hit the wall. I don't know what it is. He doesn't use his body, he doesn't skate to loose pucks, he doesn't do much of anything anymore. Whether it's just the fact that he's getting old or he doesn't like Babcock, I don't know.

I agree with you though. This guy probably won us the Nashville series in '04 and was leading the league in scoring when we picked him up. It's hard to believe that was only three years ago. If he can somehow turn it on, it would be huge for the Wings. It gives them secondary scoring from a big body. He has tons of talent it, it just seems like the effort isn't there.

I think the most we can do is hope for the best. I don't think he's going to all of a sudden become a good player again though.

Unfortunately I think Lang has to be put into positions where he can succeed now.

I seriously have wondered all year long if he's entered that zone where he's physically incapable of doing what he used too, but no one wants to admit as much yet.

It happens to everyone and it's not exactly his fault. and I don't mean to bash him so please don't take it that way.

The guy coasts around all game. I dont understand it. When he has the puck, he can move it well and set up some nice plays, but its only valuable on the PP. He doesn't fight or hustle for any pucks, and he is such a liability in his own zone. I just don't get it...why doesn't he TRY!?

If Lang was going to show up, I think he'd have done it by now. As time goes on, it will become more and more difficult for him to turn his game up as a result of fatigue and the mental awareness that he IS doing poorly. I wish he would, of course, but I've pretty much given up hope on Langer.

F*&^% it........I've bitten my tongue for 2 years now.

I was a fan of Lang with the Pens.....was a big supporter of him getting moved to da Wings.

::::sigh:::: I've had it.

Can you show me something? anything? You earn seventy......three.....thousand.....dollars.....per.....week.

Can you at least fake like yer trying? Fake it to make it? please? Move around a bit? Cut off some passing lanes? 'Czech' someone? anything man......anything.

OK........done

Guest Crymson

It's been very tough to be a Wings fan and watch Robert Lang this season. That much is absolutely and completely true any way you look at it really. He had a marginal at best regular season and the playoff's have only gone on to amplify the mediocrity. I wouldn't say I was shocked, but I was definitely surprised at how little he played in Game 2 not so much because I felt he deserved to play a lot of minutes so much as because Babcock seems to have a deeper well of hope for the guy than most of the fanbase.

That said, I've really got to wonder if Lang can turn things around as things progress. He's getting more and more games in as we keep winning and I just can't help but believe he's got it in him to be a bigtime player. Let's face it: he's been a big guy for us the last couple of years. Like him or not this year, the last two playoff's, he's arguably been our best player. One would hope and in my opinion could realistically expect that something could give and he could get his A-game back, but what would it take?

Does getting demoted to the 4th line send a message? Does getting 2-3 shifts in the 3rd period of a huge game put things into perspective? Does being blatantly and profusely outplayed night after night by guys getting paid half as much get him thinking? Could a game in the press box once Holmstrom returns drill it home? Heaven knows and I can only hope...

I know he's played lousy. What appears to be a lack of effort and hunger has been fairly visible much of this season. He is absurdly overpaid for how he's played this year. I know. I've heard it all. I've seen it all. Anyone on this board is far too aware of his shortcomings thanks to the countless and rampant threads about it. The bottom line though is that the guy absolutely has the potential to be huge for us. He's been a great player in the past and I don't think there's any reason to believe that he doesn't still have it in him. I don't think he's just tired or washed up. Maybe he's actually playing injured. I have no idea what's going on at all, but I can't help but believe that he could come out of the funk and be huge for us. Something's just gotta give...I don't know what, but something has to happen.

I know I'm better off asking for a million bucks, but how about maintaining a positive, discussion-oriented vibe as opposed to another thread of senseless bashing? We've all heard the bashing. We know. Think positive if only for the sake of the team as a whole. What's it going to take for Robert Lang to get going again? Can he do it? Solely from the standpoint of a Wings fan, I sure hope so. If the guy can play like he has the last couple of years for us, it would be huge. Here's hoping he turns it back on.

What will it take? Honestly? The guy is extremely talented, and we all know that. It will take WORK. It will take ONE HUNDRED PERCENT EFFORT. It will take what practically EVERYONE puts out every night EXCEPT FOR LANG.

Lang has TONS of potential. However, he won't use it. It's as simple as that. We can't force him to work hard.

Okay, I will admit I'm not a big fan of Langer ... his nickname in our house happens to be a certain part of the male anatomy that occasionally perks up and "plays hard" but for the most part just hangs around lazily while the rest of the body does all the work ... that said I will try to be objective. I pulled up his career stats because honestly I've never looked before. Here they are:

IPB Image

A couple things I notice ...

1. His best years were from 99-02 in Pittsburgh playing with Lemieux and Jagr, and then in DC from 02-04, again with Jagr. He's not playing with anyone near that talent level now, and he doesn't seem like a player who carries a line.

2. His shooting percentage is significantly lower with us than in his previous strong years (except 01-02). Again, this could be a product of who he is playing with, not getting the sweet set-up anymore.

3. This is a big one ... his statistics have dropped a bit since the lockout, but his penalty minutes (mostly hooking) have almost tripled. Thinking about the type of player he is ... big, able to work through clutch-and-grab defense, but not very fast ... he seems better suited for the "old NHL", offensively and especially defensively.

4. He's 36. He's not getting younger or faster.

I look at these 4 things and I don't think any of them are going to change, certainly not with us. I don't think he could play on a top line for very many teams anymore, and without the help I don't see his game picking up much, but maybe some one will take a chance and it will rejuvenate him. Wouldn't count on it though ...

What will it take? Honestly? The guy is extremely talented, and we all know that. It will take WORK. It will take ONE HUNDRED PERCENT EFFORT. It will take what practically EVERYONE puts out every night EXCEPT FOR LANG.

Lang has TONS of potential. However, he won't use it. It's as simple as that. We can't force him to work hard.

Exactly. A lot of people on here are disappointed in the play of Sammy, and during the reg. season Lilja, etc. but at least they work hard. It just seems to me like Lang doesn't, and that's really irritating. When Homer comes back, I say scratch Lang... keep guys in the lineup that are playing like they want to be there.

Guest Crymson

A couple things I notice ...

1. His best years were from 99-02 in Pittsburgh playing with Lemieux and Jagr, and then in DC from 02-04, again with Jagr. He's not playing with anyone near that talent level now, and he doesn't seem like a player who carries a line.

2. His shooting percentage is significantly lower with us than in his previous strong years (except 01-02). Again, this could be a product of who he is playing with, not getting the sweet set-up anymore.

3. This is a big one ... his statistics have dropped a bit since the lockout, but his penalty minutes (mostly hooking) have almost tripled. Thinking about the type of player he is ... big, able to work through clutch-and-grab defense, but not very fast ... he seems better suited for the "old NHL", offensively and especially defensively.

4. He's 36. He's not getting younger or faster.

I look at these 4 things and I don't think any of them are going to change, certainly not with us. I don't think he could play on a top line for very many teams anymore, and without the help I don't see his game picking up much, but maybe some one will take a chance and it will rejuvenate him. Wouldn't count on it though ...

As I recall, at no time did Lang consistently play on a line with Jagr or Lemieux.

Lang's penalty minutes have tripled because he hooks constantly. He seems to be slow on the uptake, as he has not realized that he gets called for it EVERY TIME. Look at his penalties since the lockout, and you'll see that the VAST majority of them are hooks. Also, Lang neither clutches nor grabs on defense; in fact, he doesn't really do much of anything that could be called defense. As you've probably noticed, he usually just stands around while others work for the puck.

Old or not, he shows no effort. See Chelios for effort while old.

Edited by Crymson

As I recall, at no time did Lang consistently play on a line with Jagr or Lemieux.

Lang's penalty minutes have tripled because he hooks constantly. He seems to be slow on the uptake, as he has not realized that he gets called for it EVERY TIME. Look at his penalties since the lockout, and you'll see that the VAST majority of them are hooks. Also, Lang neither clutches nor grabs on defense; in fact, he doesn't really do much of anything that could be called defense. As you've probably noticed, he usually just stands around while others work for the puck.

Old or not, he shows no effort. See Chelios for effort while old.

Couldn't remember Pittsburgh, but I thought he did play with Jagr in DC? But I could be wrong ... and I agree, his effort sucks. On the clutch-and-grab, I was more referring to him possibly preferring to play against that kind of defense ... it slows the game down which probably suits him, and he could use his size to shield the puck in close quarters (it's about all he does with it).

I know it's easy to stand back and be critical of someone's performance on the ice (I say that recognizing that this is NOT a bashing thread). As a hockey player myself (and a mediocre one), nothing irritates me more than to hear people bash the performance of any of the incredibly talented players that, like all of us, have their good days and bad days. I hate going to any hockey game and hearing people bash the players. Until they put on skates and pick up a stick, they need to keep their opinions to themselves.

Jill :)

Couldn't remember Pittsburgh, but I thought he did play with Jagr in DC?

He usually played with Straka and Kovalev in Pittsburgh.

In DC, when Lang was leading the league in scoring, Jagr was having one of his worst offensive seasons. Hard to credit Jagr with Lang's big season in Washington when it was one of Jagr's worst. If Jagr has that much impact on his centerman, Nylander should have beaten Crosby for the Art Ross.

I know it's easy to stand back and be critical of someone's performance on the ice (I say that recognizing that this is NOT a bashing thread). As a hockey player myself (and a mediocre one), nothing irritates me more than to hear people bash the performance of any of the incredibly talented players that, like all of us, have their good days and bad days. I hate going to any hockey game and hearing people bash the players. Until they put on skates and pick up a stick, they need to keep their opinions to themselves.

Jill :)

If he's an "incredible player" playing consistently mediocre hockey, then he does need to be criticized, because we ALL know hes capable of doing better. As a hockey player myself, nothing irritates me more than when a truly talented player isn't stepping it up for neither himself nor his team.

He usually played with Straka and Kovalev in Pittsburgh.

In DC, when Lang was leading the league in scoring, Jagr was having one of his worst offensive seasons. Hard to credit Jagr with Lang's big season in Washington when it was one of Jagr's worst. If Jagr has that much impact on his centerman, Nylander should have beaten Crosby for the Art Ross.

I stand corrected! Which I guess means he should be capable of putting up numbers with the linemates he has, making his performance all the more frustrating.

Edited by lets go pavel

I stand corrected! Which I guess means he should be capable of putting up numbers with the linemates he has, making his performance all the more frustrating.

When Lang did play with Kovalev, though, Kovalev outperformed Jagr as often as not.

In Washington, Lang was averaging 25 minutes per game...he averaged 16:49 this season. So taking his 30-49-79 in 69 games and adjusting it downwards to meet ice per game and upwards to meet 81 GP...it comes out as 23-39-62, compared to his 19-33-52. Hard to say Lang is playing at a totally different level offensively looking at that. This doesn't even take into account linemates or special teams. Just straight ice time. Given his ice time, Lang is performing this season exactly as could have been expected when we acquired him.

Given his ice time, Lang is performing this season exactly as could have been expected when we acquired him.

Statistically, yes, I suppose so. However, Lang is not the same player he was in 03-04 when we got him. He just doesn't work anymore it seems.

The effort thing really has me perplexed...I just don't know what to say...to me, it seems like he's not working hard or pushing, but I just don't get how Babs or anyone would put up with it at all...it just makes no sense to me...it seems like I must be missing something but at the same time, he just doesn't seem to want to push like so many guys. Zetterberg never gives up on the puck and pushes and pushes and chases while Lang just watches and turns back...I always see Zetterberg chasing those pucks in the corner that seem dead and he makes a lot of plays happen while Langs line always seems like it's lagging behind. But I don't know, it's just so hard for me to imagine Babcock putting up with it. If I was a professional coach who knew the game enough to be a pro coach (obviously...) and it seemed like one of my players, star or not, wasn't putting forth effort, I would bench him, chew him out, whatever until he busted his butt and if he didn't, well, bye bye. It's just hard for me to imagine that if it was simply that, things would still be as they are unless they really were trying to deal him at the deadline and couldn't swing something worthwhile.

Statistically, yes, I suppose so. However, Lang is not the same player he was in 03-04 when we got him. He just doesn't work anymore it seems.

Lang doesn't work any less hard now than he did in 03-04, or in 95-96.

Lang works harder than he gets credit for...just because he isn't constantly pumping his legs doesn't mean he isn't working.

Wayne Gretzky wasn't constantly pumping his legs...nobody ever said he was lazy. I would say Gretzky looked more like Lang in terms of how he carried himself on ice than Cleary or Zetterberg.

Also--it's pretty obvious Lang isn't the player he used to be as far as skill is concerned. So if his performance, accounting for ice time, is similar...wouldn't that suggest he is working HARDER to offset the decline in skill?

Something esle I noticed about Lang.

he always tended to play much better when playing with Yzerman

Ex ******* Zactly

Lemieux....Yzerman....whatever.

Put my liitle sister Rachel on their lines and she's a +12.

I'm done.

aloha

P.S. No offense Rachel

Ex ******* Zactly

Lemieux....Yzerman....whatever.

Put my liitle sister Rachel on their lines and she's a +12.

I'm done.

aloha

P.S. No offense Rachel

To be fair now...Cleary's regular season ups and downs were a direct result of whether the typically streaky Lang was hot or cold. When Lang was hot, Cleary was scoring. When Lang was cold, Cleary was not scoring. You can make arguments both ways, but the fact remains Cleary had a career year while Lang had his worst offensive season since 98-99, and accounting for the 'new' NHL, his worst since 95-96, and Lang still outscored Cleary.