• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

SouthernWingsFan

Cup or bust, or not?

Rate this topic

First off, I don't expect this team to just cower out and hand over this series to the Ducks. That won't happen and if it did, I'd be really disappointed.

I know it's been Cup or get the Finals or the season is a bust for a lot of people, either within the Wings organization or fans or wherever else, over the past few seasons.

What about throughout the entirety of this season, amist a lot of changes and uncertainty?

I think we would be hard pressed to find a majority of fans to think the Wings could have made it this far, this season, with all the changes. It's not a lack of faith or no confidence thing, I'll always be supportive, but I honestly thought the Wings, while they would still make the playoffs, would be 5/6/7 seed, somewhere around there.

I don't want them to stop playing now obviously, but the Wings have definitely exceeded my expectations already this season, and they have a realistic chance of going to the SCF if they continue to play hard and put the effort forth against Anaheim.

Regardless of the outcome of this series, I'm proud of this Wings team for doing better than expected, and I hope they can continue to play this way over the next 1 1/2 - 2 weeks. :cool: :beerbuddy:

I just wanted them to get deep into the playoffs, so I'm happy. If they play hard and lose then I will not be upset. If they stink it up and give it away then I'll be upset.

I think Anaheim will be more of SJ with better defense. I think we can hang as long as our Defense holds up.

Guest LivingtheDream

Of course it would be dissapointing to see them lose this series or the finals no matter how they went out, but they showed something here this season. Too many good things for me to mention. Today I am just happy and proud of our team. They are playing like a *team* and everyone is stepping up when they needs to. So SWF, I agree 100%. We have ourselves a great hockey team.

anything short of the Cup is a disappointment in any season...personally, if they don't win, I don't see how the season can be called a success...you play to win the Cup and if you don't win, you're not successful, especially if you're the Wings

Honestly, I just wanted them to make it out of the first round. But the boys have gotten this far there is no turning back now. I love this team, they got a mix of vets (some of which will be future Hall of Famers) and a bunch of young hungry players who want it bad. Even if they don't win this series or the cup, I will be happy that this team played their asses off and proved alot of people wrong.

Of course I'll be disappointed if they don't go all the way, but at least we don't have to worry about all the "early exit" crap anymore. I just hope they'll put up a good fight, try their hardest and see how far it takes them. That's all I ask of them.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

First off, I don't expect this team to just cower out and hand over this series to the Ducks. That won't happen and if it did, I'd be really disappointed.

I know it's been Cup or get the Finals or the season is a bust for a lot of people, either within the Wings organization or fans or wherever else, over the past few seasons.

What about throughout the entirety of this season, amist a lot of changes and uncertainty?

I think we would be hard pressed to find a majority of fans to think the Wings could have made it this far, this season, with all the changes. It's not a lack of faith or no confidence thing, I'll always be supportive, but I honestly thought the Wings, while they would still make the playoffs, would be 5/6/7 seed, somewhere around there.

I don't want them to stop playing now obviously, but the Wings have definitely exceeded my expectations already this season, and they have a realistic chance of going to the SCF if they continue to play hard and put the effort forth against Anaheim.

Regardless of the outcome of this series, I'm proud of this Wings team for doing better than expected, and I hope they can continue to play this way over the next 1 1/2 - 2 weeks. :cool: :beerbuddy:

This is a great topic and one i've been thinking alot about lately. IMO, this season has been a great success for a number of reasons. Of course you will still have 2 types of people who simply cannot be pleased. The 1st type are those that think a season is a waste unless you hoist the cup. How these people aren't on suicide watch i've no idea considering the probability of winning every year. The 2nd type are those who complain when we go thru 1 round but want 2 or the season sucked. Or we make it 2 rounds and they want 3 or the season sucked, they'll just keep amping up what they think should've happened to make the season successful. In the end they're much like type 1 people only they don't stick to their convictions they just keep changing their minds.

For me, this has been a great season.

1. If we win the Cup, nobody can take it away from Holland. They always discredit the 1st 2 Cups as being Scotty's and the 2002 Cup as being Illitch's checkbook. This Cup would be all Ken H's.

2. Holland deserves credit regardless for damn near winning the Pres. Trophy when most analysts thought we'd fight for the 5-6 playoff spot. Bringing in Markov. Ridding ourselves of Williams for Calder who was the type of player we desperately needed. Getting Hasek and Bertuzzi for practically nothing. And we're starting to see some of the fruits of our recent drafts come thru under Holland's watch.

3. Even if we don't get by the Ducks (fingers crossed that we do) we made it to the 3rd round. That's a successful season. There's 26 teams that couldn't get where we are today.

4. No Yzerman, No Shanny, no identity? Nope. This team went through a dramatic identity shift. From what was once a great offensive team, a fancy, puck possession team with excellent defense, we've morphed into one that has the best of both worlds now. Not only can we still outplay, outskate, outpass and outdazzle the opposition, now we can crash and bang and dump and chase with the best of them. We've begged for this team to alter its image and it made enormous strides in that regard.

5. We got Datsyuk under contract. He has definitely had an excellent playoff thus far and his defensive play has been strong. Z and D for many years to come.

I'm very thrilled with the Wings success this season. IMO, I don't think we're done. I predicted we'd beat Calgary in 6 and SJ in 6 and we did. But I'm not predicting a series win for either side this time as its just too close to call. IMO if we want the Cup we ought to go thru the best to get it. We did that back in the day against Colorado and now we've got a chance to do it again and that's how it should be.

This is a great topic and one i've been thinking alot about lately. IMO, this season has been a great success for a number of reasons. Of course you will still have 2 types of people who simply cannot be pleased. The 1st type are those that think a season is a waste unless you hoist the cup. How these people aren't on suicide watch i've no idea considering the probability of winning every year. The 2nd type are those who complain when we go thru 1 round but want 2 or the season sucked. Or we make it 2 rounds and they want 3 or the season sucked, they'll just keep amping up what they think should've happened to make the season successful. In the end they're much like type 1 people only they don't stick to their convictions they just keep changing their minds.

1. If we win the Cup, nobody can take it away from Holland. They always discredit the 1st 2 Cups as being Scotty's and the 2002 Cup as being Illitch's checkbook. This Cup would be all Ken H's.

2. Holland deserves credit regardless for damn near winning the Pres. Trophy when most analysts thought we'd fight for the 5-6 playoff spot. Bringing in Markov. Ridding ourselves of Williams for Calder who was the type of player we desperately needed. Getting Hasek and Bertuzzi for practically nothing. And we're starting to see some of the fruits of our recent drafts come thru under Holland's watch.

3. Even if we don't get by the Ducks (fingers crossed that we do) we made it to the 3rd round. That's a successful season. There's 26 teams that couldn't get where we are today.

4. No Yzerman, No Shanny, no identity? Nope. This team went through a dramatic identity shift. From what was once a great offensive team, a fancy, puck possession team with excellent defense, we've morphed into one that has the best of both worlds now. Not only can we still outplay, outskate, outpass and outdazzle the opposition, now we can crash and bang and dump and chase with the best of them. We've begged for this team to alter its image and it made enormous strides in that regard.

5. We got Datsyuk under contract. He has definitely had an excellent playoff thus far and his defensive play has been strong. Z and D for many years to come.

I'm very thrilled with the Wings success this season. IMO, I don't think we're done. I predicted we'd beat Calgary in 6 and SJ in 6 and we did. But I'm not predicting a series win for either side this time as its just too close to call. IMO if we want the Cup we ought to go thru the best to get it. We did that back in the day against Colorado and now we've got a chance to do it again and that's how it should be.

This is by far the best post I think I have ever seen here on LGW. :clap: Well done. Every single thing that Goride mentioned is damn true. To be the best, you have to beat the best. And yep, this is undoubtedly Ken Holland's team. I do not think we are done, there is no reason for us to roll over and die for the Ducks. San Jose torched us during the season, and we disposed of them. We were even with Anaheim from what I remember, I think we even shut em out towards the season's end even if it was just 1-0. What I am getting at is that we can beat Anaheim. I am not underestimating the Ducks, but I do truely feel that San Jose was the one team that would cause us difficulty in the playoffs and we beat them. Anaheim is undoubtedly a very, very strong team but we can beat them. Wings in 6 seems to be a trend so I will go with that prediction. It will be a great, hard fought series which I think will be played in a defensive manner like the last game we saw against them.

I won't lie...if we don't win the Cup, I'll be disappointed. Who wouldn't be?

But the fact that we've made it to the Conference Finals, against all the hockey pundits' predictions - I mean, come on, this team wasn't even supposed to make the postseason - I feel really good about that. It's a hell of a lot more than I ever expected this season.

Not to shabby for a rebuilding year GO WINGS :clap:

anything short of the Cup is a disappointment in any season...personally, if they don't win, I don't see how the season can be called a success...you play to win the Cup and if you don't win, you're not successful, especially if you're the Wings

how could it be dissapointing :thumbdown: you cant win the cup every damn year .they played one hell of a regular season and even better post season.to me im proud as hell for all they accomplished this year :thumbup:

Great post, man! :clap::siren:

I totally agree.

This season, I just wanted us to make it out of the frickin' first round, and we did that. But the fact that we're in the WCFs has me totally freaking out right now (in a good way!). I'm so thrilled that we got here, and now I'm even more pumped up and ready for us to take it all the way.

I believe! :thumbup:

Yes, some say we're spoiled but that goes with the territory. The Wings are expected year in and year out to win the Cup. Tough to do that every season, but this is what you play the game for. Second place doesn't count. Now if we look at the full picture, winning a Cup is the only result we're looking for at the end of each spring. That's how good this team has been, and that's where the expectations are.

As for the team itself, this season was a transition year, with everyone and their grandma saying we were lucky to place 4th or 5th in the West. Some of leaders left, we mixed some youth into the lineup, and some players had their roles change somewhat. The sweet taste of victory will be even sweeter if this team can win it all. It wasn't supposed to be this way after all. Ain't that what we were told? <_<

GO WINGS!!!!!!!!!!

GS&T, that's a solid post.

Personally, I'm proud of this team no matter what. Like he said, we've had a great season up to this point, making it to the final four. It'll suck if they don't win, but don't mistake that for disappointment.

This season was the first time in a long time I came in with NO expectations for the team at all, at the start or end of the season. They've come through bigger and better than all the years that I thought they'd win the Cup right out of the gate.

Guest Tunbo Batman

Hah! this team overachieves so much its not even funny anymore. for a "reconstructing team" i think they are doing quite well :P

at teh start of the season every media was putting them barely in the playoffs, like last year, and the bashing hasnt stop despite all our accomplishments.

personally i was seeing them 5th in the west with 101 points, and maybe a 2nd round exit. but AGAIN, they do more than is expected from them. a loss is always disappointing, but at this stage we cant blame them, they ve done so much already.

I'm happy the wings made it this far, and they definitely did better than I expected. But to be completely honest, if they don't win the cup I will be at least a little disappointed, just because I think they really can win it all.

You have Chelios - who was reportedly on his way out a decade ago - routinely outplaying bigger, stronger guys who are half his age. You have former late-drafted nobodies Holmstrom and Franzen playing through all kinds of physical abuse with a fearless drive that even Don Cherry couldn't deny. You have Datsyuk - who many preached was a gutless pansy - driving to the net, mixing it up after plays, and asserting himself all over the ice. You have Cleary - our poster child for hard work and playoff passion - who at one time was accused of having unlimited offensive potential but no work ethic...funny how that worked out. Then there's this year's hatred lightning rod, Andreas Lilja, blocking shots left and right and hitting anything that comes near the defensive zone.

I don't see how anyone can watch these guys play like they have and not be proud as hell to root for them. Before the year began most were saying they'd be satisfied with a low playoff spot and a 2nd round exit...here we are a few months later talking about Cup or bust...pretty incredible. Cup or no Cup, I'll have nothing but love and respect for the Wings when the season is over.

I just hope the Ducks are ready for war, because this is NOT the same team they played in 2003.

I'm really proud of what the Red Wings have achieved so far . There's not many people in the press that would have given them a hope in hell against Calgary never mind San Jose. I'm just happy that they're still at the party . every round that they get throught the more confident I am in them . here's hoping they can bring the cup home. :thumbup:

I just wanted them to get deep into the playoffs, so I'm happy. If they play hard and lose then I will not be upset. If they stink it up and give it away then I'll be upset.

Exactly how I feel.