• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Matt

Pronger: "They can't handle us 5-on-5..."

Rate this topic

He mentioned it around 8:15am this morning as I was driving in to work. He danced around saying his actual name (and most of the bit was joking around about it), saying it "rhymes with donger", etc., but it's something Pronger said while, um, showering.

Since this is Matt and he seems to be a voice of reason around here i will politely decline further response on the subject. :D I just find it funny i haven't seen Prongers statements on any other site or hf boards. I find it rather ludicrous that this guy was even remotely close to the showers with the players but have at it people. Perhaps this guy was stirring the pot,but i find it hearsay at the moment because i think even Pronger has a great level of respect for the opponent and wouldn't make such blank statements within earshot of reporters.

I will be honest, I am new to hockey. Before I kind of liked it but never really followed it. My sister-in-law worked for the Ducks and so I became a fan that way and really didn't start watching until the Ducks 2003 cup run. After that season I didn't really follow because the Ducks sucked the next season and then there was the lockout. Last year is when I really became a HOCKEY fan, not just a Ducks fan. My sister has season ticket so I went to all the games last year and I have fallen in love with the sport. It has become my favorite sport by far and I will not stop thinking about it once the Ducks season is over.

That being said, all this back in forth is ridiculous because nothing is ever going to be achieved. Everyone is going to back their own team as it should be. I hate it when Ducks fans go onto another team's board and say things that make us all sound like morons. I think you can be supportive of your team while being respectful.

I have the utmost respect for the Red Wings organization. I remember I was always the Red Wings on NHL 94 for the Sega and would always score with Paul Coffey. I think you guys are extremely talented and I have no idea how you have so many big name talents on one team.

I am not sucking up, just giving credit where credit is due. You have shut down our PP and are taking it to our PK. You are looking like you are on a power play while in fact we are the ones on the power play. The Zetterberg, Datsyuk, and Holmstrom line scares me and I have to look away whenever one of them has the puck. However I think the line that has been most effective for us is the Perry, Penner, and Getzlaf line. They seem to control the puck down low a lot when they are out there and have probably generated the most scoring chances for us.

There is no way this is going to be a quick series. It will go at least six because I don't see either team winning three in a row. I think both teams can play at another level and when that happens this series is going to be even more exciting than it already is.

Best of luck out here on the slushy ice ;)

Thanks for the great post. I don't mind if opposing fans come on here to discuss hockey. But don't start flame wars and bash the team. I've always equated people like that to having little to no knowledge of the sport. It also shows a lack of class.

I'm glad to hear that you've also become an NHL fan. I'm a huge Wings fan but I'm a bigger fan of the NHL. I follow the league closely and watch as many non-Wings games as possible (thank you centre ice package!). The league needs more fans that do so. The NFL is so popular because most fans know what's going on around the league and it's better for it.

I don't care if someone is new to the sport or not, but some people should show some class and respect where they're at. I feel that I can say whatever I want about Giggy's pads here because this is a Wings board afterall. I wouldn't do it at a Ducks site because the only purpose of that would be to start crap. But that's what a lot of people have come here to do - like Getzlaf15 and hockeymom95. They're bored and really don't know what they're talking about so lets go on the Wild, Canucks and Wings boards to cause problems. Their life must be incredibly boring to do so.

Thanks for being a good member here. We need more of your kind.

Hahaha. That's not the only website that was reporting it; TSN, ESPN, CBC, The Score, etc.

And you're right, we really fell apart. Afterall, all we did the year after we got knocked out by you was claim the #2 seed and advance to the 2nd round while the Ducks didn't even make the playoffs.

And after that? We won a Presidents trophy and came within a tie of winning it again this year. You're right. Boy have we stunk since then. Glad to know you're ontop of your stats.

But then again, I don't expect you to know much as you seem to spend most of your days posting at a rival message board for no real reason. Go back to being a hockeymom. I'm sure you're better at that than talking about hockey. Afterall, you've probably been a mother longer than the 2 years you've been a Ducks fan.

Hey Hank, you play hockey??

Did anyone else just hear the sound of a toilet flushing? I think someone's credibility just went down the drain :P Anaheim was picked by most pro analyzers to win the West and have yet to be an underdog in a series.

I don't understand how Anaheim could be favored in their matchup with the wings. The wings are the number one seed and tied their season series so although the great minds of hockey might have predicted it i think even the casual fan has to look at detroit going into this series as the favorite just for home ice alone.

I keep reading about Detroits "A" game. If they havent played it IN 2 WCF games AT HOME, when the F are they going to play it? Maybe you dont give enough credit for the Ducks taking the game from them. Maybe youve seen their A game vs the Ducks? Many teams and their fans have waited for that "A" game but in REALITY, the Ducks take teams "A" games from them. 6 shots per period. 19 shots in the entire game. If not for Francois Beauchemin putting 2 goals past Jiggy, you wouldve lost both games at home. I havent watched any Detroit games this season outside the ones they played the Ducks but if they cant get up to play their "A" game AT HOME in the first 2 WCF games, what do you expect in games 3 and 4 in Anaheim? YOU WILL GET OUR A GAME.

Ive also saw a bunch of people excited because you beat the Sharks. We owned the Sharks all season. I wasnt remotely worried about the Sharks. In years past, pre Pronger, Thorton and CheeChoo ran rough shod over the Ducks and Cheech would net 20 goals a season vs the Ducks alone. Different game with the man Pronger on the ice and we beat the Sharks 3-1, 5-0, 7-4, 4-3, and 3-2. You can see the lopsided scoring there no? Take pride in coming back and beating a "younger, stronger" team in the Sharks but they are FAR from the same team thats in your face now. Reality check.

And who's this clown sneaking around in the showers. Perv should be banned from the locker room. Lets the guys s***, shower, and shave, and then get your interviews. IF and that is a big IF Pronger said anything like that, it's not a lie. They have been shut down 5 on 5.

In years past? How long has Thornton played for San Jose? I know as a new hockey fan, two seasons ago can seem like the "good ole days" but come on!

Also, HockeyMom, playing hockey is much different than driving your kids to hockey.

Thanks for the great post. I don't mind if opposing fans come on here to discuss hockey. But don't start flame wars and bash the team. I've always equated people like that to having little to no knowledge of the sport. It also shows a lack of class.

I'm glad to hear that you've also become an NHL fan. I'm a huge Wings fan but I'm a bigger fan of the NHL. I follow the league closely and watch as many non-Wings games as possible (thank you centre ice package!). The league needs more fans that do so. The NFL is so popular because most fans know what's going on around the league and it's better for it.

I don't care if someone is new to the sport or not, but some people should show some class and respect where they're at. I feel that I can say whatever I want about Giggy's pads here because this is a Wings board afterall. I wouldn't do it at a Ducks site because the only purpose of that would be to start crap. But that's what a lot of people have come here to do - like Getzlaf15 and hockeymom95. They're bored and really don't know what they're talking about so lets go on the Wild, Canucks and Wings boards to cause problems. Their life must be incredibly boring to do so.

Thanks for being a good member here. We need more of your kind.

I agree and I won't even make comments on things that I don't know much about, like Jiggy's pads. I didn't know much about hockey in '03 and therefore don't know much about his pads. From what I know know they are of legal size but I don't know about all the things that go into making the pads seem bigger and what not. I do know that he is a good positional goaltender. He is not that good side to side like last night on the shorthanded goal. I think he makes a lot of saves on initial shots because he is in the right spot. Now how many saves are made because of the "oversized" pads, I don't know.

It's tough for me to watch other NHL games because I am in college and our dorms don't have cable so I try to follow as much as I can but it's tough. I am planning on getting Center Ice when I am married and living in my own place though.

I don't understand how Anaheim could be favored in their matchup with the wings. The wings are the number one seed and tied their season series so although the great minds of hockey might have predicted it i think even the casual fan has to look at detroit going into this series as the favorite just for home ice alone.

seedings and analyst predictions are totally different things.

Also, HockeyMom, playing hockey is much different than driving your kids to hockey.

:rotflmao:

Yes I do. Do you watch hockey?

Just curious with all your keeping of stats and watching of games and I suppose having a job, didn't know when you would have the time to play the game too.

Yes I do, and I can take your little snipes...

Guest bullocks

pronger should worry about playing defence on datsyuk, seems to me in every 1 on 1 situation he gets schooled.

seedings and analyst predictions are totally different things.

:rotflmao:

I understand that part of it,just curious as to why the ducks would have any basis for being favored. I look at the wings as having faced better competition to this point it just boggles the mind the ducks would be favored. I think at this point the teams are very evenly matched and it is really gonna come down to the intangibles as to who wins this series. The small things such as faceoffs,finished checks,turnovers will come up big.

It's hard to say one team is that superior over another when it's the 1 and 2 seeds. Who cares if analysts pick the Ducks - I actually like being the underdogs for a change (if you can call it that).

What I've heard mostly by people picking the Ducks (and many of them did so before the playoffs began to come out ot the West) is that they would be the number one seed if they were in a different division. I find that arguement quite lame though. Yeah our division sucks and I hate the new schedule. But the Pac division gets to play the Coyotes and Kings for 16 games, similar to our series vs the Hawks and Jackets. We have Nashville, they have the Sharks. Yes Dallas is better than the Blues - but the Blues actually were'nt actually that bad this year.

We have home ice of course (had), but we're also alot more banged up than them. Let's just see what plays out...

Guest MrSandMan

pronger should worry about playing defence on datsyuk, seems to me in every 1 on 1 situation he gets schooled.

I was thinking the same thing. :thumbup: Dats stick work is amazing. It's fun watching Dats unlace Pronger's skates, flip his socks inside out, and re-lace his skates back up jsut before passing the puck... all in a single play.

Just curious with all your keeping of stats and watching of games and I suppose having a job, didn't know when you would have the time to play the game too.

Yes I do, and I can take your little snipes...

LOL. Glad to see you have thick skin.

Not only do I have time for all of that but I also have a 4 year old that's into everything and a 7 month old that can't wait to do it all either.

Hockey's a passion with me. When the kids are in bed I try to watch as much as I can or read up during breaks or lulls in the day.

How many kids do you have? How old are they? What's minor hockey like in So-Cal.

I understand that part of it,just curious as to why the ducks would have any basis for being favored. I look at the wings as having faced better competition to this point it just boggles the mind the ducks would be favored. I think at this point the teams are very evenly matched and it is really gonna come down to the intangibles as to who wins this series. The small things such as faceoffs,finished checks,turnovers will come up big.

the same reasons the sharks were favored against the wings... size, speed, grit, youth, etc.

Man, again with the pads, get over it, they are and have always been legal. You dominated in 03 and were eliminated. We have dominated you this series and we are tied 1-1. You shouldnt speak for "a lot of Ducks fans" cause you dont know any of them. Maybe if you had more bandwagon fans in your area you could sell out a Western Conference Finals game????? Sad, all that tradition, success, history, and cant sell out a game.

:banned::banned:

I hope so. I'm freaking tired of the wandering Pronger (Blues, Oilers, Ducks). If it weren't for him, I'd actually like the Ducks alot more. I actually used to like him when he was with the Blues, but he's just kind of bugged me since then.

You however, had to go back to your glory days of the Wings and wonder when or if ever, that would ever happen again. Pretty amazing that after that series, the Wings dynasty fell apart and you're only beginning to recover thanks to Babcock.

16 straight years in the postseason, I'd say the dynasty you speak of is still intact.

Guest bullocks

I was thinking the same thing. :thumbup: Dats stick work is amazing. It's fun watching Dats unlace Pronger's skates, flip his socks inside out, and re-lace his skates back up jsut before passing the puck... all in a single play.

too bad he didnt hit the net in OT there when he turned pronger inside out. he needs to work on finishing...besides when he has an open net that is ;)

It's hard to say one team is that superior over another when it's the 1 and 2 seeds. Who cares if analysts pick the Ducks - I actually like being the underdogs for a change (if you can call it that).

What I've heard mostly by people picking the Ducks (and many of them did so before the playoffs began to come out ot the West) is that they would be the number one seed if they were in a different division. I find that arguement quite lame though. Yeah our division sucks and I hate the new schedule. But the Pac division gets to play the Coyotes and Kings for 16 games, similar to our series vs the Hawks and Jackets. We have Nashville, they have the Sharks. Yes Dallas is better than the Blues - but the Blues actually were'nt actually that bad this year.

We have home ice of course (had), but we're also alot more banged up than them. Let's just see what plays out...

The Blues looked really good in the second half after Murrays system was in place and they started to gel a lil bit. They are no where near being a great team,but they have a few brightspots and some good draft picks so they are moving forward. I think the divisions kind of even out and parity is growing in the new nhl and overall i like that about the NHL,and it bodes well for the future of the sport.

the same reasons the sharks were favored against the wings... size, speed, grit, youth, etc.

Gotcha. I don't agree with it and didn't think the sharks would win that series on paper. I think the sharks are one of those teams that has big players and plays small. They rely more on skill then grit and physical play.

Outscored 22-10.

Oh, and I added the IF because someone else was iffing it up about Bertuzzi. I dont believe in if's, just stating the fact the Wings have yet to score on a 5 on 5 and Beauchemin has put in 2 of the 5 goals scored.

I think you need to get a grip and realize that Beauchemin is not playing for the Wings and that part of the game is being able to bank shots off the opponents skates in front of the net and give credit where credit is due. Game two would not have gone into overtime if Hasek had not done his snow angel across the goal line with the puck tucked into his leg pad and we would be leading this series 2 to 1. Besides, I'm pretty sure I kept hearing how Beachemin was so great and we would underestimate his abilities, before the series began. It's amazing that now he is the scapegoat.

Man, again with the pads, get over it, they are and have always been legal. You dominated in 03 and were eliminated. We have dominated you this series and we are tied 1-1. You shouldnt speak for "a lot of Ducks fans" cause you dont know any of them. Maybe if you had more bandwagon fans in your area you could sell out a Western Conference Finals game????? Sad, all that tradition, success, history, and cant sell out a game.

Rip on the owners for that, not the fans. I'd gladly pay to go the the playoff games, but I don't live in the state with the worst economy in the nation. We're luckier in Cali and Colorado in my case for that. Again, I think the onus is on the owners for jacking up the prices each round and offering no cheaper/discount tickets - they won't even do it just to fill the arena. People that don't know if they'll have a job tomorrow are not going to shell out 75-100 apiece for bad seats. Honestly, I feel the worst for the players - they have no control over that - they actually took paycuts and none of that got passed on to the ticket holders.

Anyhow, I think this is a problem with the NHL in general. Alot of lower bowl seats at the Avs games were empty this year too - they're corporate and they just don't show up.There's no opportunity for me to get those seats - I pay to sit up high. IMO, the whole ticket thing just stinks.

I think you need to get a grip and realize that Beauchemin is not playing for the Wings and that part of the game is being able to bank shots off the opponents skates in front of the net and give credit where credit is due. Game two would not have gone into overtime if Hasek had not done his snow angel across the goal line with the puck tucked into his leg pad and we would be leading this series 2 to 1. Besides, I'm pretty sure I kept hearing how Beachemin was so great and we would underestimate his abilities, before the series began. It's amazing that now he is the scapegoat.

I think Beuchemin played just fine last game. He obviously had some bad luck in the prior game but that just happens to be detroits good luck. Its funny how both fanbases change their tune so quick after a loss. I will stick by Beauchemin hes had a great year and its but one game,he'll rebound he always does.

God all I wish is that I had to drive him to hockey!!! I wish I didn't have to watch him get crosschecked deliberately into the boards by a kid who has 50 lbs and 8 inches on him and then watch him crumple into the ice and wonder if he's going to get up. I wish I didn't have to watch the coach hold up 3 fingers in front of his face and pray that he sees 3 instead of 6. I wish that I didn't have to worry about some kid on the opposing team getting mad at him for lifting his stick in front of the goalie so he can't score and then wack him in the head (yes I've seen that).

I would really like to know how many posters on any board actually play the game. My guess is less than 25%. It's great to watch the game on TV or from the arena seats. But I get to stand at the glass and have kids hit pucks at my face and slam their bodies into the boards right in front of me, so yeah, I know that playing hockey is different.

I wish you all had that experience.