• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Bert44Wingsfan

Is the jury still out on Babcock?

Rate this topic

Well it's been two years now without an appearance in the SCF. Babcock was brought in to bring immediate results. Has Babcock done enough or should we expect more? Dave Lewis was given two years in which in both seasons, the Wings won the President's trophy. Yet combined in both playoff seasons Lewis could only chalk up a 6-10 record. His firing was a result of his inability to have success in the playoffs. Babcock's record with the Wings in the playoffs is 12-12. Has he done enough or has he failed to do what Dave Lewis couldn't do?

Babcock led his team to within two wins of the SCF WITHOUT Schneider WITHOUT Kronwall, and with Zetterberg, Bertuzzi, and Lebda coming off considerable injuries or still being injured, and theres a question whether or not the jury is still out?

There are so many positives to take away from this season its crazy. I give props to Babs. Having Chelios and Lebda as your Dmen for the 2nd PP unit is pathetic. The PP is what killed us, and the injuries are what killed the PP. End of story. Great job on Babs part. Any guy that can get a team full of skilled guys to buy into a hitting, gritty, dog eat dog game is worth it to keep.

Babs has done a great job this season . If it wasn't for all the Wings injuries , I still think they could have won the cup this season. I know the Wings had a lot of injuries in Defence but the one that hurt them the most was Zetts back injury, If only he entered the playoff's with his mid - season form. :yowza:

So from me a big :thumbup: for Babcock.

Babcock did a great job. We lost two very key guys to our team before the season started, and not only did we go further in the playoff we were only two wins away from the finals. If we didn't have the injuries that we got in the playoffs I believe we would be playing in the finals. I hope we keep Babcock around for a while.

I liked the attitude he instilled in this team, overcoming the odds with adversity, this season was great. Only had they lost to the flames would this question need to be addressed; this team has gotta be '08 favorites thanks to the work Babs did last season, hes an obvious major role player.

He will be back, but if the Wings have a huge offseason and make a serious push for the cup like they did in 01-02, and still no results then they might make a decision, but until then he stays. In 2 years he led the team to 108-35-21, and just missing a 2nd straight presidents trophy by 1 point. Thats pretty damn impressive.

Well it's been two years now without an appearance in the SCF. Babcock was brought in to bring immediate results. Has Babcock done enough or should we expect more? Dave Lewis was given two years in which in both seasons, the Wings won the President's trophy. Yet combined in both playoff seasons Lewis could only chalk up a 6-10 record. His firing was a result of his inability to have success in the playoffs. Babcock's record with the Wings in the playoffs is 12-12. Has he done enough or has he failed to do what Dave Lewis couldn't do?

your first sentence says it all.

re: the second sentence: do you have any substantiation or proof (link) from the DRW that that was the case?

Any guy that can get a team full of skilled guys to buy into a hitting, gritty, dog eat dog game is worth it to keep.

Great point. REALLY great point.

It's just that Hockeytown expects SO much of their coaches (not to mention goalies) every year, and are just brutal on 'em when they fail to deliver (or what is perceived as 'failing to deliver'-- any other town'd be buying 'em champagne).

Edited by RedRockit

Mister foreman has the jury reached its verdict?

We have your honor.

What say you?

We the jury find no reason why Babs won't be back next season. Futhermore we would like to point out had the D not been killed by injuries this case wouldn't have made it to trial.

Thank you for your service, you are excused.

Babs has done a great job this season . If it wasn't for all the Wings injuries , I still think they could have won the cup this season. I know the Wings had a lot of injuries in Defence but the one that hurt them the most was Zetts back injury, If only he entered the playoff's with his mid - season form. :yowza:

So from me a big :thumbup: for Babcock.

Ditto

While he occasionally turns a blind eye to the poor play of certain players while castigating others, and maybe needs a new offensive assistant coach who is better at switching the lines up, Babcock is a great coach. His defensive system is terrific, he's good with matchups, thorough, a good motivator. He demands the team play with balls, and they do it. Thumbs up.

IMO, Babcock has done some great things with the Wings. For one, he's transformed them into a more gritty, physical team. Obviously credit should be given to Holland as well in this area. And yes, he has led the Wings to two regular season WC first place finishes with a President's trophy last year. However, I know last year when Detroit lost their last 4 out of 5 games bowing out to the Oilers, there were questions.

If there are two things that provide evidence as to why Babcock was a better idea than keeping Dave Lewis, it's that he has proven he can take a team to the SCF (with the Ducks) and that he made the necessary adjustments this year to compete with more physical teams. This would seemingly lend Babcock more credibility and more trust than Lewis. Since 2002, the Wings have been known as a great regular season team who has failed to transfer their success in the regular season to the playoffs even with all their talent. I think Babcock made great strides in diminishing that rep by getting them to the WCF and two games away from the SCF.

But to allude to Michigan football, it seems that every year Michigan loses in a post season bowl game, Lloyd Carr gets a lot of critics calling for his head, regardless of his previous success. To be fair, success can't be measured the same way with hockey and football, but I do think if patience was limited with Lewis, the same standard should be given to Babcock. But like I stated before, there are many things that Babcock has improved upon since Lewis' firing. And I also know Babcock isn't going anywhere for the time being. I'm not ranting or throwing blame in every possible area in an attempt to prove what went wrong this year. I merely wanted to know what Babcock's critics thought.

It has been longer than that. We went in 2002. Never been back since. I count that as 5 years.

I meant since Babcock's arrival.

Guest Crymson

I think Babcock has done a wonderful job. Evidently, too, what's-his-name's messages of the Wings "impeding implosion by christmas" due to Babcock were quite incorrect..

Remember that Lewis was working with a $74m payroll and six HOFers. Babcock had $39m to work with this season, and did a far, far better job in every area. He has practically transformed the team.. they play with a new philosophy now.

Edited by Crymson

But to allude to Michigan football, it seems that every year Michigan loses in a post season bowl game, Lloyd Carr gets a lot of critics calling for his head, regardless of his previous success. To be fair, success can't be measured the same way with hockey and football, but I do think if patience was limited with Lewis, the same standard should be given to Babcock. But like I stated before, there are many things that Babcock has improved upon since Lewis' firing. And I also know Babcock isn't going anywhere for the time being. I'm not ranting or throwing blame in every possible area in an attempt to prove what went wrong this year. I merely wanted to know what Babcock's critics thought.

I meant since Babcock's arrival.

Oh man, don't get me started on Lloyd Carr. :lol: The reason I and so many other UM fans call for his head every year is because he and his staff get consistently outcoached and out-gameplanned when they run up against a fast, elite team (Ohio State, USC, etc.) He wins games in the snow against mediocre Big Ten opponents using a very one-dimensional system, but the system breaks down in big games.

Babcock, on the other hand, has shown a great ability to make in-game and in-series adjustments. He's gotten the Wings to buy into his physical, hard-nosed approach. And unlike Carr, he made his team to overachieve this year.

I guess there always has to be a few stupid people in the world to balance things out...what an absurd thought. I know you didn't say he should be gone, but the fact that this even entered your mind proves you're just operating on the wrong level. Bad form.

Babs will be back he did a good job the only question I have is why did he wait until the 3rd period of game 6 to let the D get more invovled in the offence we coud have used that push in the 4th and 5th game so lets fine tune and make another run next year

Edited by DEVILSWATERBOY

Guest jaytan

Well it's been two years now without an appearance in the SCF. Babcock was brought in to bring immediate results. Has Babcock done enough or should we expect more?.... Has he done enough or has he failed to do what Dave Lewis couldn't do?

Babcock's done a fantastic job and I have complete faith in him. I don't really think much blame for this horribly disappointing season can be placed on his shoulders. After all, he led the Wings to have best record in the league, masterfully guided them past two very dangerous opponents and brought the team to the brink of the Stanley Cup Finals (even as a 6-game series, that one could have gone either way) despite having to deal with even more injuries than normal.

I can complain about plenty of things with this team, but I never even thought about pointing fingers at Babs.