• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

WingNut199

No faith in Jimmy Howard?

Rate this topic

But, the point of prospects is to get good, cheap talent for the team. This is especially true during the salary cap era.

Young players taht step up and play as good as $2-3mill dollar players, while making only 500k, are essential.

Wrong. Check your data before you make posts like this. Howard has been very inconsistent at the AHL level. That has been his main problem. If he can't be consistent at the AHL level, what makes you think he'll do ok at the NHL level?

He'll get experience when he's ready to play in the NHL. At present, his AHL statistics suggest that he'd get smoked in the NHL. That's not good experience; that's crushing experience.

Ozzie played very few games because Dom was the better goalie. Ozzie is still a VERY good goalie. Besides Toskala, he's likely the best backup in the league.

I admittedly don't know much about Jimmy's performances in GR, since we are lucky to get Wings news here, never mind the Griffins. :P But I will say (agree) that the way to destroy a young goalie is to throw him into the NHL before he is ready. Heck, seasoned 'tenders who are thrown into the #1 spot too soon are sometimes destroyed by the experience (see Ray Emery for the total opposite of that experience!)

When I look at the talent that has come over from GR to the Wings, it's mind-boggling. Give him time to mature and we won't be disappointed -- and Jimmy won't be ruined by "premature matriculation" to the big club.

As for Ozzie, I just don't have a same lack of confidence in him that some do. He's a great guy and a great goalie, and I completely agree that he's one of the best, if not the best, backups in the league.

I think if Dom comes back next season, we may see more of Oz. Remember last season, he struggled with the injury bug. Ironically, it was "supposed" to be Dom who was prone to injury. Dom stayed healthy all season with the exception of a couple of games with very short term illness and injury because he worked SO hard to stay in perfect condition. Every season is different, but I would expect even more of a true tandem with the sexy duo in Detroit.

Please come back, Dom! :) Your buddy, Ozzie, is waiting for you!

Edited by puckloo39

Howard is 23 I believe, which is still relatively young for a goaltender. Even though most elite goalies (Roy, Brodeur, Luongo, etc.) don't break into the league until 20 or 21 and in a lot of cases, younger goalies play because of the team they are coming into. Detroit is not in the situation where they need to bring in a young goalie.

There have been several goalies they have been brought in too early and it hasn't worked out well. Fluery is an example of a goalie that has started very young and is just now starting to gain consistency (number 1 draft pick). His situation is a little different in that the Pens were desperate for a goalie.

Lastly, not sure why you suggest his is not good enough to warm the bench in Detroit. Why do you want your young prospect goalie warming the bench? How is he going to develop that way? Let him play significant minutes in the AHL.

All that said, they are probably getting close to the point that they need to give him a chance at the NHL level. Everyone is skeptical about rookie goalies, but you have to give them a shot eventually.

Sorry it took me so long to respond to all these comments, but in a nutshell everyone is saying.."Give him another year in GR and then he'll be ready"

I never knew playing one more year in the minors would do so much! I guess I was wrong...

:rolleyes:

We put a young goaltender in GR to let him play constantly against other talented youngsters rather then letting him sit and pick splinters out of his dairy air and learn nothing.

The Humanity! The Disrespect!

Your argument makes NO sense in any way shape or form. That is what Grand Rapids is for. That is the purpose. That is why it exists. What are you talking about?

"dairy air?" I never laughed so hard in my life. It's "derriere".

Hahaha! A not so common spelling mistake... but funny all the same.

Dairy air. I want to use this on some five year olds right now, I know they'll get a kick out of it. <-- This is why the internet exists. To create such moments.

Edited by Flip-check

Hahaha! A not so common spelling mistake... but funny all the same.

Dairy air. I want to use this on some five year olds right now, I know they'll get a kick out of it. <-- This is why the internet exists. To create such moments.

Years ago, I saw an article about license plate slogans, and then the author had come up with new versions. Vermont, I think had/has "Live Free, or Die" on their plates, so the guy writing the article suggested, "Eat Cheese or Die," for Wisconsin. Or alternatively, "Smell our Dairy Air."

:lol:

Years ago, I saw an article about license plate slogans, and then the author had come up with new versions. Vermont, I think had/has "Live Free, or Die" on their plates, so the guy writing the article suggested, "Eat Cheese or Die," for Wisconsin. Or alternatively, "Smell our Dairy Air."

:lol:

Live free or die.....

I'm now having flashbacks hearing George Carlin say that during one of his comedy routines. :scared:

Um.....no duh.

Humor is totally lost on some people. Even when you TELL THEM it's humor. I already said it was a joke. Thanks for taking it seriously despilte the obviousness of it AND my already having addressed it. I never laughed so hard in my life.

Edited by NomadFromKazoo

Sorry it took me so long to respond to all these comments, but in a nutshell everyone is saying.."Give him another year in GR and then he'll be ready"

I never knew playing one more year in the minors would do so much! I guess I was wrong...

:rolleyes:

So that's the standard? It either propels him to a whole new level or it's a slap in the face? I mean I thought we were just developing him in the farm system as we do almost all our young players who weren't groomed overseas. I thought it was a non issue. He learns by playing until he's ready to go to the next level rather then watching others play from an NHL bench.

You convinced me now. If Howard isn't going to be ready to contend for MVP honors then the next year in the farm system would turn out to have been a TOTAL waste of time. You're right, farm systems are idiotic demoralizers for our young players who would learn far more sitting on a bench then playing. I mean it's not like us sitting in the stands learning to be NHL players, I mean they would be WAY closer to the ice learning to play NHL hockey by sitting and watching it.

Sure, let's go with that.

Um.....no duh.

Humor is totally lost on some people. Even when you TELL THEM it's humor. I already said it was a joke. Thanks for taking it seriously despilte the obviousness of it AND my already having addressed it. I never laughed so hard in my life.

To be fair, it was not at all obvious in your original post that it was a joke.

I have no confidence in JFH...why should I have any confidence in him...he's not done anything yet.

True , he hasn't done anything yet. but there's nothing wrong with having a little faith in the Kid . If he fullfills his potential he can be the No 1 Goaltender for the Wings for year's.

Guest LivingtheDream

:D:D

Probably the best misspelling I've ever seen.

dairy air - isn't that a term used to describe flatulence cuased by a low tolerance for mile and cheese in the diet?

I have no confidence in JFH...why should I have any confidence in him...he's not done anything yet.

Did you feel the same way about Hudler coming into this year?

Did you feel the same way about Hudler coming into this year?

Luckily for the team and all involved.... Huddles role on the team pales in comparison to the responsbility that JFH's position entails.

Luckily for the team and all involved.... Huddles role on the team pales in comparison to the responsbility that JFH's position entails.

Yes, but I'm not asking for a comparison of roles or which player is more important to the team. Since she hasn't answered yet I won't speculate, but there shouldn't be a double standard.