• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
auxlepli

The "Sports Leader" killing hockey?

Rate this topic

Hockey, just like soccer wasn't invented or popularized in the U.S. and for that reason it will always be less popular than football, basketball, or baseball. Even if baseball is the most boring game ever invented, it will still be ranked higher than hockey in America, because people can't smell their own s***. I don't think that I would want to see the NHL on a network that has a bunch of sportswriters constantly making jokes about the league's troubles. And for those of you that are excusing ESPN because they're only pursuing what's economically viable is horsecrap. They're a sports network, so they should cover sports and not poker, dominoes, eating contests. If ratings are all that matter then why don't they show bikini contests all day on ESPN. Hell that would draw more than any baseball games they show, but it'd still have nothing to do with sports. ESPN can go straight to hell.

Excellent post. I agree that it would be great if the NHL was on a network with a lot more exposure but I like how VS treats the NHL.

But I'd love to see how some of the commentators and sportscasters would change their tune if ESPN did get it back. They would have to go from bashing the game to pretending to love it.

Hockey, just like soccer wasn't invented or popularized in the U.S. and for that reason it will always be less popular than football, basketball, or baseball. Even if baseball is the most boring game ever invented, it will still be ranked higher than hockey in America, because people can't smell their own s***. I don't think that I would want to see the NHL on a network that has a bunch of sportswriters constantly making jokes about the league's troubles. And for those of you that are excusing ESPN because they're only pursuing what's economically viable is horsecrap. They're a sports network, so they should cover sports and not poker, dominoes, eating contests. If ratings are all that matter then why don't they show bikini contests all day on ESPN. Hell that would draw more than any baseball games they show, but it'd still have nothing to do with sports. ESPN can go straight to hell.

Yes good post. I fully agree.

Instead of having all this aggression toward ESPN, how about just pointing at Bettman and the NHL for sinking the sport to such pitiful ratings that ESPN has no use for it? Do you actually expect ESPN to give money to the NHL to show their games? Thats absurd if you do. As far as i know, and i believe it was mentioned in this thread, they offered them a deal where they didnt have to pay anything (which is what it SHOULD be) and Bettman declined. So why the complaining? So what if they make potshots at hockey, shows like Around the Horn also make cracks about soccer and even NASCAR occasionally. Last time i checked, dominoes and eating contests arent even on during the hockey timeslots. Am i missing something...is hockey always played in the afternoon now? As for poker, they show the World Series at night during the summer when hockey's in the offseason. Cant blame them there either, given the popularity of it. Instead of picking on these little events that had no reason for the elimination of hockey, lets look at something that did...college basketball. That is whats on all the time during the hockey hours. If you're gonna sit here and tell me that ESPN should eliminate showing a bunch of college basketball games that probably gets 5x the ratings the NHL would...I dont know what to say.

Edited by Lou_Siffer

Instead of having all this aggression toward ESPN, how about just pointing at Bettman and the NHL for sinking the sport to such pitiful ratings that ESPN has no use for it? Do you actually expect ESPN to give money to the NHL to show their games? Thats absurd if you do. As far as i know, and i believe it was mentioned in this thread, they offered them a deal where they didnt have to pay anything (which is what it SHOULD be) and Bettman declined. So why the complaining? So what if they make potshots at hockey, shows like Around the Horn also make cracks about soccer and even NASCAR occasionally. Last time i checked, dominoes and eating contests arent even on during the hockey timeslots. Am i missing something...is hockey always played in the afternoon now? As for poker, they show the World Series at night during the summer when hockey's in the offseason. Cant blame them there either, given the popularity of it. Instead of picking on these little events that have no effect on the elimination of hockey, lets look at something that did...college basketball. That is whats on all the time during the hockey hours. If you're gonna sit here and tell me that ESPN should eliminate showing a bunch of college basketball games that probably gets 5x the ratings the NHL would...I dont know what to say.

Ive read that the NBA's tv ratings have dropped around 30% this season, and the gambling issue doesn't help their cause. NASCAR has also dropped in ratings, so it's not like the networks are raking it in over those 2 sports. Around the Horn is nothing more than a comedy hour at times, its rather boring anymore.

If hockey was on ESPN, you couldnt possibly expect them to show more than 1 game a week.

Ive read that the NBA's tv ratings have dropped around 30% this season, and the gambling issue doesn't help their cause. NASCAR has also dropped in ratings, so it's not like the networks are raking it in over those 2 sports. Around the Horn is nothing more than a comedy hour at times, its rather boring anymore.

ESPN doesnt even show NASCAR unless im mistaken. NBA still kills hockey in ratings even if its dropped, but im more talking about college basketball anyway.

I watch hockey and sporting events on TV for the action on the field, court, or ice. I barely pay as much attention to what commentators say on a game live.

Obviously you don't watch baseball on TSN with Rod Black doing comentary.... If I watch a Jays game I have to have the mute button on... Rod Black = HORRID.

<END RANT>

Instead of having all this aggression toward ESPN, how about just pointing at Bettman and the NHL for sinking the sport to such pitiful ratings that ESPN has no use for it? Do you actually expect ESPN to give money to the NHL to show their games? Thats absurd if you do. As far as i know, and i believe it was mentioned in this thread, they offered them a deal where they didnt have to pay anything (which is what it SHOULD be) and Bettman declined. So why the complaining? So what if they make potshots at hockey, shows like Around the Horn also make cracks about soccer and even NASCAR occasionally. Last time i checked, dominoes and eating contests arent even on during the hockey timeslots. Am i missing something...is hockey always played in the afternoon now? As for poker, they show the World Series at night during the summer when hockey's in the offseason. Cant blame them there either, given the popularity of it. Instead of picking on these little events that had no reason for the elimination of hockey, lets look at something that did...college basketball. That is whats on all the time during the hockey hours. If you're gonna sit here and tell me that ESPN should eliminate showing a bunch of college basketball games that probably gets 5x the ratings the NHL would...I dont know what to say.

Seriously, I have never seen someone support ESPN like you do.

It's a lame ass network in my opinion. ESPN has gone to s*** over the years, and this has nothing to do with not having the NHL. The shows they play are pathetic, the news anchors are so damn stupid that it surprises me they've even graduated from the 5th grade, and the network in general is a pile of s***.

This has nothing to do with stuff like eating contests and all that. This comes down to the fact that the people who are on the network probably don't even like sports, and don't know anything about it. Half of them are on there just to criticize sports it seems like. It's the same thing all the time: The NHL sucks, the MLB is boring, the NBA is a joke, NASCAR is for hillbillies, etc. etc.

I could dig up tapes of SportsCenter from a year ago, and it would probably be the exact same cliches and bad jokes that rot the network now. I can't stand watching it, and it's quite a shame that a one time excellent highlight show has gone the way of some stupid s*** you'd see on an ABC sitcom.

Again, this has nothing to do with not having the NHL. I hate ESPN in general now. The people they have on there talk like a bunch of women sitting in the lobby of a doctors office who have never seen a sports game in their lives. But hey, if that's ok with people, then this means nothing.

Seriously, I have never seen someone support ESPN like you do.

It's a lame ass network in my opinion. ESPN has gone to s*** over the years, and this has nothing to do with not having the NHL. The shows they play are pathetic, the news anchors are so damn stupid that it surprises me they've even graduated from the 5th grade, and the network in general is a pile of s***.

This has nothing to do with stuff like eating contests and all that. This comes down to the fact that the people who are on the network probably don't even like sports, and don't know anything about it. Half of them are on there just to criticize sports it seems like. It's the same thing all the time: The NHL sucks, the MLB is boring, the NBA is a joke, NASCAR is for hillbillies, etc. etc.

I could dig up tapes of SportsCenter from a year ago, and it would probably be the exact same cliches and bad jokes that rot the network now. I can't stand watching it, and it's quite a shame that a one time excellent highlight show has gone the way of some stupid s*** you'd see on an ABC sitcom.

Again, this has nothing to do with not having the NHL. I hate ESPN in general now. The people they have on there talk like a bunch of women sitting in the lobby of a doctors office who have never seen a sports game in their lives. But hey, if that's ok with people, then this means nothing.

I defend it because I feel its needlessly attacked by everybody (aside from you) because they dumped hockey...but i honestly have zero problem with the network and still like it. With their programming it depends on taste. I happen to watch stuff like Worlds Strongest Man, bowling, arm wrestling.... poker i used to watch avidly before i kinda burned it out. I find the off the wall shows to be interesting...ive even put on the dominoes before. I also really like Around the Horn. So the programming works just fine for me. I actually dont even watch Sportscenter, so i cant comment on what goes on there. I get all my highlights and news from ESPNews, and i'd be lucky to be able to name 2 anchors on there since i harldy even pay attention to them. Majority of the time im just staring at the ticker...or waiting for a certain guest to be on.

If Michelle Bonner (the one name i can think of) butchers a name or something i really could care less...doesnt effect the highlight.

I defend it because I feel its needlessly attacked by everybody (aside from you) because they dumped hockey...but i honestly have zero problem with the network and still like it. With their programming it depends on taste. I happen to watch stuff like Worlds Strongest Man, bowling, arm wrestling.... poker i used to watch avidly before i kinda burned it out. I find the off the wall shows to be interesting...ive even put on the dominoes before. I also really like Around the Horn. So the programming works just fine for me. I actually dont even watch Sportscenter, so i cant comment on what goes on there. I get all my highlights and news from ESPNews, and i'd be lucky to be able to name 2 anchors on there since i harldy even pay attention to them. Majority of the time im just staring at the ticker...or waiting for a certain guest to be on.

If Michelle Bonner (the one name i can think of) butchers a name or something i really could care less...doesnt effect the highlight.

I have no problem with the programming itself (the sports themselves, the programs like Around the Horn make me sick). Or the fact that they dumped the NHL. I don't hate ESPN for that sole reason like others do.

I hate it mainly because the people they have on the network and the shows other than sports they have. It just bothers me that a one time great network has reduced itself to crap in my opinion.

Again though: don't think I hate ESPN because they dumped the NHL. That really has no effect on me at all. I understand the fact that the NHL is not very popular for the average sports fan.

:clap:

Wonderfully stated Lou, your first line is pretty much the exact same reason I stick up for them. I'm no ESPN junkie or spokesperson, I don't watch it reguarly unless it's college football/NFL. I'm just not into MLB that much, and my interest in college basketball is on the decline for some reason. I have nothing against ESPN whatsoever, hockey or no hockey. Again, they just cater to what the overall general U.S. likes, and hockey is not first on the agenda for a lot of people. Blame the public or NHL marketing (or lack thereof) for that, not ESPN.

And wonderfully stated as well Kp-Wings for a good counter argument, instead of just the customary "ZOIKIES ESPN SUCKS B/C THEY DON'T SHOW HOCKEY ENOUGH BECAUSE HOCKEY'S SUPPOSED TO BE THE GREATEST THING ON EARTH" overembelisment in here. I think I understand your stance, in terms of looking for better quality of broadcasts or commentary. For me (for better or worse), that's just not as important. I just want to see the game/event foremost.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

People just have to realize that ESPN does what any smart business does. They listen to the majority and do what ever is in their best interest. aka whatever makes the most money. This is the goal of any big business. If they started reporting more on hockey and less on baseball, nascar, football, poker etc. they would be pissing of alot more people than they are now. People like to listen to smartass comments about hockey. Thats why they continue to do it. Many americans do not understand the culture of hockey. People do not like what they do not understand.

Americans (kinda stereotyping here) love drama. Thats why they love football and baseball. There is as many if not more stories about the personal lives of athletes than their careers themselves. People would rather hear about Vicks and Bonds problems than some NHL contract signing. They would rather hear 4 grown men yell and rant like idiots about the smallest decision by a football coach or player than see McKenzie intelligently discuss some hockey issue.

I dont like what ESPN does but I can hardly argue with them for doing it.

:clap:

Wonderfully stated Lou, your first line is pretty much the exact same reason I stick up for them. I'm no ESPN junkie or spokesperson, I don't watch it reguarly unless it's college football/NFL. I'm just not into MLB that much, and my interest in college basketball is on the decline for some reason. I have nothing against ESPN whatsoever, hockey or no hockey. Again, they just cater to what the overall general U.S. likes, and hockey is not first on the agenda for a lot of people. Blame the public or NHL marketing (or lack thereof) for that, not ESPN.

And wonderfully stated as well Kp-Wings for a good counter argument, instead of just the customary "ZOIKIES ESPN SUCKS B/C THEY DON'T SHOW HOCKEY ENOUGH BECAUSE HOCKEY'S SUPPOSED TO BE THE GREATEST THING ON EARTH" overembelisment in here. I think I understand your stance, in terms of looking for better quality of broadcasts or commentary. For me (for better or worse), that's just not as important. I just want to see the game/event foremost.

Thanks SWF. Yeah, with Kp's argument, I can understand him not liking the personalities on there and all that. I can consider that a legitimate gripe. My problem's with the people who come out and say "ESPN sucks I hate them they show pool and poker WTF!!!!!!!" Attacking programming that has no bearing whatsoever on whether or not they show the NHL. Its nothing but hatred because they got rid of hockey and thats it! Thats fine and dandy, but seeing a thread all the time about ESPN sucking is annoying. Especially considering its all the NHL's fault..

Thanks for understand SWF and Lou.

Yeah, I get what you're saying about people hating ESPN simpily because they don't have the NHL, and it really is annoying. I'm sure people around here would ***** about ESPN if it did have the NHL, because I guerentee that their coverage would be very scarce. As much as this may surprise people (sarcasm noted), ESPN doesn't respect the NHL, and with good reason. The ratings for this years SCF give it no arguement to do so.

I have my own problems with ESPN, none of which has anything to do with hockey.

Its funny to sit and read this. Alot of great views here. I watch ESPN it does not bother me watching it i enjoy all sports i have a open mind to everything. I dont hate ESPN for not showing hockey i dont blame Butmen its's just the US is not into hockey. You cant make them like it they have to and by them being on ESPN is not going to make ppl want to watch it. If it was me and i didnt like hockey i would not stop to watch it just cuz espn has it on. This is the thing hockey is no a main strem sport it never will be it had its chance and it didnt grown soon if not already soccoer will pass the NHL with David Beckhim playing in the states and i do have to say i will be watching on ESPN when they show his games.

If hockey was on ESPN, you couldnt possibly expect them to show more than 1 game a week.

ESPN doesnt even show NASCAR unless im mistaken. NBA still kills hockey in ratings even if its dropped, but im more talking about college basketball anyway.

http://www.nascar.com/2005/news/headlines/...deal/index.html

Under the new eight year agreements NASCAR races will be broadcast on a combination of networks that includes FOX, SPEED, Turner's TNT and ABC/ESPN beginning in 2007.

What bothers me is the way some sports reporters go out of their way to bash hockey. Some admit they know nothing about the sport (see Skip Clueless) and yet still feel the need to rip it apart.

Regading the comment about basketball's ratings destroying hockey, I think there was an article in USAToday that showed that HNIC's overall North American ratings beat NBA's top Basketball night.

But that person was right when they said that college basketball kills them. But college sports (football and basketball) destroy a lot of other sports in the ratings department - MLB, NBA and even NFL in some cases.

Even my brother who was a DIEHARD NFL fan has slowly been tuning into college football more and more. He admitted that this year he's more interested in watching Big Ten games than NFL.