• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

YoungGuns1340

Nick Would Play For Less

Rate this topic

Guest DetroitIan

So Nick would take 4-5 million, so we can lock up Zetterberg and Cleary longterm, and still have money for FA's.

Sounds good. But I disagree with Nick, I'd much rather have Sundin then Forsberg.

Im with ya there. I think Nick is too though. I think he was more or less speaking with the knowledge that Mats doesnt wanna leave Toronto. Otherwise Im sure Nick would favor Sundin over Forsberg.

I can see it now...when Lidstrom doesn't sign for 1 million a season, this thread will get dragged up and he'll get called greedy.

Quoted for truth.

And if Lidstrom wanted to give up money, he should just sign his next contract for the same amount of money if he decides not to reitire, adopt me as a nephew, and just give the extra money to me, just because I'm a relative of his now. :P

^^ True... League Min is 100,000's above the most I can expect in my field :lol:

But at least at times I can say, "HEY I designed the wireharness of the car they are driving around in!"

Edited by OsGOD

Detroit Free Press

Obviously we wont be paying Lidstrom league minimum, but I dont think its any stretch to say that Holland could sign Lidstrom to around 5M per...

I completely think Lidstrom will be the kind of guy that recognizes that Holland needs to give Zetterberg his due, and he wont want to put the Wings in a sticky situation with some big contracts and no depth..

Good to hear. I figured Lids would take a paycut after his current contract is up anyway, but still its good to hear.

...bottom line is Nick isn't stupid. Plus he leads by example, as did his captain before him. in 2001-02 when both Yzerman and Shanahan took paycuts un order to sign Robitaille and Hull, why wouldn't he play for less here KNOWING full well that Holland is going to get him the surrounding talent to give him the best chance at winning more cups? Next season will bring loads of UFA's to the surface, but I really don't see Holland siging anyone huge unless he can get Zetterberg signed, in which he has TWO more season on his current contract, so he won't be a UFA until 2008-09 and I cannpt see Holland blowing lots of cash next off season either, he will need to keep a ton of it for Zetterberg in 09. He cannot even try to resign him until he is in the last year of his contract so he can't even work on that until the 2008 off-season starts...

....but it is nice to see Lidstrom is taking a page out of Yzerman's book and allowing Holland to chance to bring in more of a supporting cast. Maybe, the likes of Zetterberg will take notice and give Holland a discount in order to get a few top 10 UFA's in 2009 in order to make ourt future even brighter...

...bottom line is Nick isn't stupid. Plus he leads by example, as did his captain before him. in 2001-02 when both Yzerman and Shanahan took paycuts un order to sign Robitaille and Hull, why wouldn't he play for less here KNOWING full well that Holland is going to get him the surrounding talent to give him the best chance at winning more cups? Next season will bring loads of UFA's to the surface, but I really don't see Holland siging anyone huge unless he can get Zetterberg signed, in which he has TWO more season on his current contract, so he won't be a UFA until 2008-09 and I cannpt see Holland blowing lots of cash next off season either, he will need to keep a ton of it for Zetterberg in 09. He cannot even try to resign him until he is in the last year of his contract so he can't even work on that until the 2008 off-season starts...

They can negotiate, they just can't sign anything until then.

....but it is nice to see Lidstrom is taking a page out of Yzerman's book and allowing Holland to chance to bring in more of a supporting cast. Maybe, the likes of Zetterberg will take notice and give Holland a discount in order to get a few top 10 UFA's in 2009 in order to make ourt future even brighter...

Assume the cap increases over the next two years at half the rate it has been doing. That would mean that the 2009-10 cap would be around 54m. That's basically an 8 percent increase over the current cap. Assume the percentage of the cap used by the ten core players(top six forwards, top three defensemen, starting goalie) remains the same. Currently, that number is 36.643m, or 73% of the cap. At 54m, that would be about 39.5m. Datsyuk, Holmstrom, Rafalski, and Kronwall will consume 17.95m. Figure Lidstrom and Zetterberg push that total to 31m. That means 8.5m to pay for three top-six forwards. Assuming that includes Hudler and Filppula, then the Wings should have between 5m and 6m to pay for one more top-six forward.

What a true class act.

Everyone knows that Lidstrom is easily a a 7-8 million dollar player. To take far below his own market value at 4-5 million so the Wings can keep their other players like Zetterberg and Cleary is really special. He's got true charecter to do something like that.