• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
BlueMonk

The Fight Thread

Rate this topic

Some of you may remember this. Is this one of the worst cases of blatant homerism you've ever heard?

The homer announcer has no problem with his guy Berube hitting Giguere even though the game is over. Yet as soon as Sawyer hits Vernon he starts using the excuse that the game is over so it shouldn't happen.

Oh, and the announcer has no problem that Berube is back on the ice with only seconds left trying to hurt somebody like Jeff Friesen.

I don't know why this bothers me so much but I want to punch the announcer in the face every time I hear this.

I don't think Berube's hit on Giguere was a big deal. The rule is you don't hit the goalie, but when the goalie is out of his crease I have always thought "why not?". Besides it was more of a bump. Sawyer's hit was "intent to injure", as was Berube going after Friesen. Both incident's were much more serious than the original Berube hit that started everything. On a sidenote, it was nice to see Iginla standing up to Lambert the way he did.

Guest GordieSid&Ted
I don't think Berube's hit on Giguere was a big deal. The rule is you don't hit the goalie, but when the goalie is out of his crease I have always thought "why not?". Besides it was more of a bump. Sawyer's hit was "intent to injure", as was Berube going after Friesen. Both incident's were much more serious than the original Berube hit that started everything. On a sidenote, it was nice to see Iginla standing up to Lambert the way he did.

I agree that Berube's bump wasn't a vicious hit.

However, Berube intended to hit him. He wasn't going for the puck and knowing Craig Berube's MO, he could care less. The Flames were getting beat at home 4-0 and the game was almost over. He did what he did just to be a dick. And Sawyer responded exactly how I would have. You want to be stupid and take a run at our goalie for no reason. Well then *** for tat.

And I don't think Sawyer was trying to injure him. Just my opinion. Sawyer gave him a two fisted shove to the face and coasted off to the left and immediately turned around and dropped his gloves. If he wanted to steamroll Vernon he could have. Sawyer wasn't trying to hurt Vernon, he was trying to get a piece of him as payback and instigate a fight, which he did. He knew what he was going to do and he knew there'd be a brawl afterwards or at least somebody coming after him. I think if he wanted to "hurt" Vernon he could've just plowed him over. He shoved him in the kisser and Vernon played it up.

I was watchin the Nucks game last night, and Ryan Smyth went after Burrows (I think it was Burrows) anyway, Burrows wanting nothing to do with it, and embarassingly skated backwards faster than I can skate forwards to get away. I was laughing pretty hard at this act of cowardism, but then when of the guys at the bar said:

"I wouldn't want to fight Smyth either. He is an Ugly mother. Ugly guys have nothing to lose."

Haha, i thought that was good for a laugh.

I agree that Berube's bump wasn't a vicious hit.

However, Berube intended to hit him. He wasn't going for the puck and knowing Craig Berube's MO, he could care less. The Flames were getting beat at home 4-0 and the game was almost over. He did what he did just to be a dick. And Sawyer responded exactly how I would have. You want to be stupid and take a run at our goalie for no reason. Well then *** for tat.

And I don't think Sawyer was trying to injure him. Just my opinion. Sawyer gave him a two fisted shove to the face and coasted off to the left and immediately turned around and dropped his gloves. If he wanted to steamroll Vernon he could have. Sawyer wasn't trying to hurt Vernon, he was trying to get a piece of him as payback and instigate a fight, which he did. He knew what he was going to do and he knew there'd be a brawl afterwards or at least somebody coming after him. I think if he wanted to "hurt" Vernon he could've just plowed him over. He shoved him in the kisser and Vernon played it up.

No doubt Berube intended to stir things up with his hit and Sawyer knew exactly what he was doing as you suggested. However his hit looked to have a little more to it than just a shove in my opinion. I'm sure Vernon exaggerated a bit though.

Guest GordieSid&Ted
No doubt Berube intended to stir things up with his hit and Sawyer knew exactly what he was doing as you suggested. However his hit looked to have a little more to it than just a shove in my opinion. I'm sure Vernon exaggerated a bit though.

A goalie playing up contact? Blasphemous! :lol:

Guest GordieSid&Ted
I was watchin the Nucks game last night, and Ryan Smyth went after Burrows (I think it was Burrows) anyway, Burrows wanting nothing to do with it, and embarassingly skated backwards faster than I can skate forwards to get away. I was laughing pretty hard at this act of cowardism, but then when of the guys at the bar said:

"I wouldn't want to fight Smyth either. He is an Ugly mother. Ugly guys have nothing to lose."

Haha, i thought that was good for a laugh.

I don't watch many Habs games but there's a new super jerk running around out there named

Maxim Lapierre. He's another Burrows type, hit and run and rarely ever drop the gloves until they are forced to type.

On a side note, during the Habs stomping of Ottawa the other night Alexei Kovalev turned in one of the most dominating performances I have ever seen on the puck. I think eva is a big fan of Kovalev and if so, rightfully so.

I never paid too much attention to him but damn, he was a brute force the other night.

Geez, it's been too long guys. (Det#1 ;))

I imagine I wasnt the only one excited to see Boogaard return earlier this month? Man I love that guy, beat down Stortini pretty good tonight.

And Alex Burrows, I wish he'd quit hockey. He challenges RYAN SMYTH to a fight, and then runs away? I need to ask a Canucks fan how they feel about this guy.

Detroit #1 Fan? Wow, it's been a while. Were you banned or something?

Edited by Kp-Wings

I just realized I've missed like 2 months worth of posts on this thread. All caught up now.

Biggest disappointment for me (I think Lou said the same thing) was Brashear-Chara; that had the makings of a dream fight, but it was over before it began.

I just realized I've missed like 2 months worth of posts on this thread. All caught up now.

Biggest disappointment for me (I think Lou said the same thing) was Brashear-Chara; that had the makings of a dream fight, but it was over before it began.

Yeah that was me. Ive been waiting for Chara to fight him... i know he did Laraque in another crap fight previous, but Brashear for so many years running has the been THE guy i want to see everyone test themselves against. I feel like with Chara, we just dont know how good the guy actually is....it disturbs me! I feel like with most everybody in the league i have a firm base as to how a good a fighter the guy is and who his comparables are. With Chara, i just feel pretty lost.

Edited by Lou_Siffer

Hey whats up beatdown! I was wondering where "Detroit#1fan" has been! (although im not sure it was exactly wise to give up your identity while on suspension..) Im not gonna ask why you got suspended cause its not my biz, but i find that surprising as you never came across to me as one of the "suspendable types" we have here. You mustve really flipped out :lol:

Hey whats up beatdown! I was wondering where "Detroit#1fan" has been! (although im not sure it was exactly wise to give up your identity while on suspension..) Im not gonna ask why you got suspended cause its not my biz, but i find that surprising as you never came across to me as one of the "suspendable types" we have here. You mustve really flipped out :lol:

I need to find a way to get you suspended, Lou.

:P

Alright...the regular season is pretty much over.

So who gets the nod as the heavyweight champ for 07-08?

I think my finalists have to be Laraque, Brashear and Orr.

Boogard and King just weren't in the lineup enough to warrant consideration.

Am I overlooking someone?

Alright...the regular season is pretty much over.

So who gets the nod as the heavyweight champ for 07-08?

I think my finalists have to be Laraque, Brashear and Orr.

Boogard and King just weren't in the lineup enough to warrant consideration.

Am I overlooking someone?

for me it's

Laraque

Brashear

McGrattan

Belak

Orr

Boogaard

King

Ivanans

Godard

Hordichuk

for me it's

Laraque

Brashear

McGrattan

Belak

Orr

Boogaard

King

Ivanans

Godard

Hordichuk

I'd give it to Orr or Brashear, probably Brashear. Everyone else didn't fight that much, and Laraque has just gotten on my nerves too much for me to say anything good about him.

Actually, now that I think about it, Brashear only had 13 fights, but that's exaclty what it has come down to with enforcers not fighting as often.

Also, the s***tiest fighter of the year goes to Andrew Peters. He's fallen into the toilet fast.

And last, but certainly not least, I've got to give kudos to the "PAIN TRAIN", for being in 3 fights, and going undefeated without ever having to throw a punch. I don't think that's been done very often.

Guest Foiled_Up

LGW's coolest are suspend'd or perm banned

Det1fan..and Grittzkey..

i mean come on now...

--

Ive been on the forums for awhile and ive read alot on here, and Grittzkey and Det #1 Fan are easily my most favorite people to read.

Det1fan..and Grittzkey..

i mean come on now...

--

Ive been on the forums for awhile and ive read alot on here, and Grittzkey and Det #1 Fan are easily my most favorite people to read.

"Well, I'm the only one here"

Guest Hank=FutureCaptain

Det1fan..and Grittzkey..

i mean come on now...

--

Yes I've noticed that too. Also you can add Octopusdank and DetroitIan to that list.

Some of the mods here are a complete joke...

I need to find a way to get you suspended, Lou.

Good luck!, im sure i came close many a times in my earlier days, but ive evolved more into a Lady Byng contender as time's gone on. :D

I'd have to give Laraque the #1, and Brash #2...i'll have to think about things and come back with a full list.

Det1fan..and Grittzkey..

i mean come on now...

--

Hey how's it goin' Grittzkey? :P

Yes I've noticed that too. Also you can add Octopusdank and DetroitIan to that list.

Some of the mods here are a complete joke...

I'm also 100% positive you are DetroitIan