• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

stevkrause

Why the Wings don't need to spend on D

Rate this topic

first off, we have a WEALTH of talent just waiting on D - Ericsson, Quincy, Kindl, Brenden Smith in 3 years (yes, I left Meech out on purpose) and we already have a damn solid blueline...

Secondly, ALL things aside, with what's out there, what do YOU think looks better going into the playoffs -

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Holmstrom

Hudler - Forsberg - Samuelsson

Franzen - Filpulla - Draper

Drake - Cleary - Maltby

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Kronwall-Lilja

Chelious-Lebda

Hasek

Osgood

OR

Franzen - Datsyuk - Holmstrom

Hudler - Zetterberg - Samuelsson

Draper - Filpulla - Cleary

Drake - Kopecky - Maltby

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Markov-Kronwall

Chelios-Lebda

Hasek

Osgood

I think the choice is obvious... especially considering cap space/length of deal each guy would want...

Edited by stevkrause

Obviously you feel the first option is the better one given the title of the thread. However, I agree. That lineup is phenomenal, especially if they bring in a deadline acquisition on top of adding Forsberg.

haha, ok, so my bias is a little obvious in the title...

first off, we have a WEALTH of talent just waiting on D - Ericsson, Quincy, Kindl, Brenden Smith in 3 years (yes, I left Meech out on purpose) and we already have a damn solid blueline...

Secondly, ALL things aside, with what's out there, what do YOU think looks better going into the playoffs -

Hudler - Forsberg - Samuelsson

Franzen - Filpulla - Draper

Drake - Cleary - Maltby

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Kronwall-Lilja

Chelious-Lebda

Hasek

Osgood

OR

Franzen - Datsyuk - Holmstrom

Hudler - Zetterberg - Samuelsson

Draper - Filpulla - Cleary

Drake - Kopecky - Maltby

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Markov-Kronwall

Chelios-Lebda

Hasek

Osgood

I think the choice is obvious... especially considering cap space/length of deal each guy would want...

I completely disagree. I think the lack of d is a bigger issue than the lack of offensive depth. To say that the Wings have a wealth of talent waiting on to get a chance on d is true. However, if there is so much talent, why is a mediocre, at best, d man in Lilja on the roster? BTW, how do you justify having Lilja on the second d pairing in the first example, but not on the roster in the second? Not having a solid second unit d pair is much more of a problem than the second line up front.

The biggest flaw I see with you roster example is Forsberg will cost double what Markov will cost. I'd much rather take Markov, and maybe someone like Selanne, than just Forsberg.

I could see the Wings making a pitch for a guy like Michael Ryder. He's going to be a UFA and I don't see the Habs making the playoffs. He'd be a nice fit with either Datsyuk or Zetterberg.

EDIT: If the Wings did pick up Ryder at the deadline he'd only cost them $612,000 for the remainder of the season. That leaves plenty of room if Detroit wanted to pick up a guy like Forsberg.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Homer

Hudler-Forsberg-Ryder

Cleary-Filpulla-Sammy

Drake-Franzen-Maltby

NICE!

Edited by Hank

Hudler Fedorov - Forsberg - Samuelsson Franzen

Cleary - Filpulla - Draper

Downey- Drake - Maltby

13th FWD Samuelsson

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Kronwall-Lilja Quincey

Chelios-Lebda

7th D-man Lilja

Hasek

Osgood

...there that makes it better!

Edited by LeftWinger

I think the topic is right on, I feel our D is gonna be just fine since on top of our regular defencemen we still have guys like Quincey and Ericsson down in Grand Rapids waiting for their chance.

We need a top-six forward first and foremost, preferably a goal-scoring winger rather than another playmaking center. That's why I'm not so high on Forsberg and of course his health is what it is.

I completely disagree. I think the lack of d is a bigger issue than the lack of offensive depth. To say that the Wings have a wealth of talent waiting on to get a chance on d is true. However, if there is so much talent, why is a mediocre, at best, d man in Lilja on the roster? BTW, how do you justify having Lilja on the second d pairing in the first example, but not on the roster in the second? Not having a solid second unit d pair is much more of a problem than the second line up front.

The biggest flaw I see with you roster example is Forsberg will cost double what Markov will cost. I'd much rather take Markov, and maybe someone like Selanne, than just Forsberg.

How did you come to that conclusion? If Markov signs for anything over $2.75 million (which he will), no way does Forsberg get $5.5 million at this stage of his career given his injury situation and how long it will be before he joins said team.

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

How did you come to that conclusion? If Markov signs for anything over $2.75 million (which he will), no way does Forsberg get $5.5 million at this stage of his career given his injury situation and how long it will be before he joins said team.

...agreed, honestly though, I would pay Forsberg $5.5 million before I'd pay Markov $2.75...

Our D will settle down. If people are worried about the defense, they need to realize that it takes a period of time to adjust when you are replacing a 25-30 minute logging top 2 Dman, where youve had the same top 2 for, what? 3 seasons?

Rafalski has played his entire career in one system. Try and remember how long it took Datsyuk and Zetterberg and our other scoring forwards to adjust to last years defense-first style when theyd played on an offense powered Wings teams for their entire careers. Rafalski will only get more and more integrated into our system, and when he does, our entire D will become more steady.

And Im not sure if it was in this thread or another, but somebody said it was a longshot to get Ryder. Thats bulls***. If the Habs are down and out, Ryder will be the first one on the trading block.

I could see the Wings making a pitch for a guy like Michael Ryder. He's going to be a UFA and I don't see the Habs making the playoffs. He'd be a nice fit with either Datsyuk or Zetterberg.

EDIT: If the Wings did pick up Ryder at the deadline he'd only cost them $612,000 for the remainder of the season. That leaves plenty of room if Detroit wanted to pick up a guy like Forsberg.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Homer

Hudler-Forsberg-Ryder

Cleary-Filpulla-Sammy

Drake-Franzen-Maltby

NICE!

So...Drapes gets the boot???

The guy I want is Micheal Ryder, the Habs wont be making the playoffs this year, he's on a one year deal so he wont cost alot of cap at the deadline, would only take sammy/hudler pick to get, Thats what I want. The wings have been rumored to be getting him as there goal scorer for the last 2 summers, sooner or later he's gonna come here.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Ryder-Filpula-Franzen

Maltby-Draper-Cleary

Drake-Kopecky/Ellis-Downey/Sammy/Hudler (whichever one isnt traded)

I do think, we need to add one more defenceman, but a goal scoring 2nd liner is more important.

If we're talking about the future (off season and seasons upcoming) then yes I agree, we need offense. However as it is this season, there are not that many options as far as offense goes. People seem to think that the Red Wings can trade for anyone, but the Wings don't really have all that many tradeable assets. The thing about trades are, usually both sides like to win. Like I said in the Markov thread, I would love to have Forsberg, however I would love to have Markov if Forsberg doesn't work out. You can never have a good enough defense.

Forsberg is a great option. The injury thing is sort of meh but Detroit is probably one of the few teams that doesn't need him to be insanely good during the season and therefore there is less pressure around him in terms of expectations. Obviously he'll be expected to perform but it's not as critical to Detroit as it is to other teams. At the same time he comes to a team that wants to win, that wants to be the best and where he might be one of the final pieces in the puzzle. Why not show everyone he's as good as ever by coming in and dominating with a team that has a realistic shot. Also, there's NO way he'll go to a team that already looks like it's struggling or seems unbalanced. On the other hand we've lost to the 'Hawks twice :crazy: .

In the end I think he'll end up with Colorado. They have the cap space and a role for him. And can you imagine if he was on Detroit and we met them during the finals sometime. It would be way too strange...

Where did I get that? Several sources, such as TSN, have said that Forsberg would command upwards or $5.5. If you don't think there is a team out there that would be willing to pay that, you are just silly. Take Detroit for instance, they have about $3 in cap space. They could throw a $12 deal at him (with prorated salary, about a quarter of the season left at the trading deadline, which would be about Forsbergs deadline to play.) and still be under the cap. Don't rule out a darkhorse team like Pittsburgh who has a ton of cap space. If they get things turned around, they could be big players in the Forsberg sweepstakes.

Markov, on the other hand, is having a hard time finding a take for his $3.5 request. Every second he sits out, he is losing money.

Our D will settle down. If people are worried about the defense, they need to realize that it takes a period of time to adjust when you are replacing a 25-30 minute logging top 2 Dman, where youve had the same top 2 for, what? 3 seasons?

Rafalski has played his entire career in one system. Try and remember how long it took Datsyuk and Zetterberg and our other scoring forwards to adjust to last years defense-first style when theyd played on an offense powered Wings teams for their entire careers. Rafalski will only get more and more integrated into our system, and when he does, our entire D will become more steady.

And Im not sure if it was in this thread or another, but somebody said it was a longshot to get Ryder. Thats bulls***. If the Habs are down and out, Ryder will be the first one on the trading block.

I am worried about both d and forwards, however, I think it's more crucial that the Wings get help on d. It has nothing to do with Ralfie not playing his best, or Lidstrom having difficulties getting used to Ralfie. It is the other four guys that worry me. Beyond the top pairing of Lidstrom, and Ralfalski, the Wings don't have a bonafide top four d man. No Kronwall isn't. I don't care how much potential any of the kids have, none of them are there yet. Yes, it does take game time experience to get to that level, but bottom line is they are at that level yet, and have a ways to go to get there. Even if Kronwall was there, that still leaves a gaping hole in the second pair. I think with the right partner, Kronwall could do well in that slot, but there isn't much available, yet.

I can't see anything that would stop him.

If anyone can post a photoshopped roster sheet with Chelios from top to bottom, they win at everything.

It could even fetch a pretty penny on Ebay, I am without doubt.