• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
WhiteLightning91

Wings Unlikely To Deal For Offense

Rate this topic

I actually think both Tampa Bay and Montreal would have some interest in Sammy. Cheap, fairly skilled, secondary scoring with defensive ability is something both these teams could use and likely want. I bet we could get Ryder for Sammy and a high pick (1st or 2nd) or we could probably get Gratton and a mid-range pick (3-5) for Sammy. Come to think of it, Pittsburg and Columbus could probably use Sammy too. With the way his offense has picked up as hes headed for a 45ish point season at only 1.2 for another year, hed actually be pretty decent trade bait assuming what Detroit is asking for is a player like the ones youve mentioned..

He'd do well in Tampa. There he'd be either Richards "finisher" or Lecavaliers buddy.

This team REALLY doesn't need a whole lot more scoring just maybe some size with SOME scoring

Exactly!

Come playoff time do you want a skilled, soft 10 goal scorer (Samuelsson) or a not-so-skilled, physical, gritty, 10 goal scorer (insert a dozen names)?

Why the sudden love affair with Ryder? This guy's confidence level right now reminds me of Woody Allen. I know players play better once we sign them, but I'd rather have a guy who's playing well right now, then make a deal for some 4th line bench jockey who might or might not break out of his funk. Ryder has sunk this year faster than the Titanic.

Exactly!

Come playoff time do you want a skilled, soft 10 goal scorer (Samuelsson) or a not-so-skilled, physical, gritty, 10 goal scorer (insert a dozen names)?

Except that Samuelsson has scored 43 goals in 158 games since the start of the 2005-06 season. Divide that in half and it's 21.5 goals in 79 games. He's a 20 goal scorer, not a 10 goal scorer. Finding a 20-goal scorer with more physical presence than Sammy will cost assets we might not be willing to give up.

I love how you emphasize "Canadian". :P

I agree with you, though. The Wings do need more North American grit, and those guys would be great to have here. I think Rob Blake could be a real possibility to consider. The Kings will be the first team to be mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, and as someone on XM Radio pointed out earlier: they'll most likely be shopping him to a Western Conference team to ensure that the Ducks, their obvious cross town rivals, don't win the Cup again.

I love the trade deadline. I really hope the Wings get somebody good this year, and in the process, get rid of the garbage still on this team *coughSamuelssoncough*

Yea, right we need more big Canadians so we can be just like San Jose who chokes every year. We need good players and I don't care what nationallity they are.

And the Ducks have very little chance of winning the Cup. In fact, halfway through the season, they are on the cusp of not even making the playoffs.

And the Ducks have very little chance of winning the Cup. In fact, halfway through the season, they are on the cusp of not even making the playoffs.

*If* they don't make the playoffs? I think that they probably will, considering Neidamayer(sp?) is back. But it would be sweet if they didn't make the playoffs.

I've always liked Axelsson but I sort of doubt the Bruins will let him go even they tumble down the standings. Nice guy too, met him during the lock-out for a few minutes, got his autograph lying around here somewhere...

yea we should trade for him, then in a few yrs, we would have a line of PJ and his brother Anton, and Dick...three Axelsson

but i do want to see a player who isnt getting treated right where he is, like ryder.

.. Downey started out great, but lately it seems like he forgot what he was here to do..

Downey only plays for several reasons.

1. Injuries (i.e. Maltby, Holmstrom, Z)

2. To enforce when needed such as if our skilled players are being mistreated or to shift game pace

3. To kill minutes to rest the players who should be touching the puck

His role isn't to spend his minutes in the box, it's too be on the bench or ice when needed.

He does his job well and I hope he stays here a long time.

Dabura, I understand that Franzens roll isnt to fight. But he could of easily just skated off never dropped the gloves and drew an instigator penalty and called it a day. Instead he decides to play possum and pretend his name is Andreas Lilja.. Id rather him just skate off then make us look bad by getting his ass kicked.. And as for downey. I dont care that he hasnt fought lately. But i do expect our 4th liners to go out and Grind and Make things tough for the opposition.. Downey hasnt CnB like he did earlier this year. not saying he hasnt but he his intensity isnt there now and Ellis,Hartigan,Kopecky are about as physical imposing as Z/D are..

Someone said earlier about whats the point of bringing in a 2ndary enforcer. Why the hell not.. Ellis and Hartigan are just wasting space.. They bring nothing Physically or Offensively. If your relying on them for production you are out of your freaking mind. Bringing in Boulton or Ivanaas sure they arent the best at what they do, but neither is downey. HenryMalredo said ivanaas isnt good enough to crack our line-up.. Thats exactly what people said about Downey.. and look at him now a fan favorite.. And someone else said a physical grinder doesnt fit our puck possesion game. Big freaking deal. if that was the case Lilja.Downey.Kopecky.Drake.Ellis.Hartigan would all be gone..

I want another Agitator thats all i want.

Dabura, I understand that Franzens roll isnt to fight. But he could of easily just skated off never dropped the gloves and drew an instigator penalty and called it a day. Instead he decides to play possum and pretend his name is Andreas Lilja.. Id rather him just skate off then make us look bad by getting his ass kicked.. And as for downey. I dont care that he hasnt fought lately. But i do expect our 4th liners to go out and Grind and Make things tough for the opposition.. Downey hasnt CnB like he did earlier this year. not saying he hasnt but he his intensity isnt there now and Ellis,Hartigan,Kopecky are about as physical imposing as Z/D are..

Someone said earlier about whats the point of bringing in a 2ndary enforcer. Why the hell not.. Ellis and Hartigan are just wasting space.. They bring nothing Physically or Offensively. If your relying on them for production you are out of your freaking mind. Bringing in Boulton or Ivanaas sure they arent the best at what they do, but neither is downey. HenryMalredo said ivanaas isnt good enough to crack our line-up.. Thats exactly what people said about Downey.. and look at him now a fan favorite.. And someone else said a physical grinder doesnt fit our puck possesion game. Big freaking deal. if that was the case Lilja.Downey.Kopecky.Drake.Ellis.Hartigan would all be gone..

I want another Agitator thats all i want.

Downey is a borderline NHL player, but he plays a better all-around game than Ivanans. The point of acquiring someone at the trade deadline is to get somebody who could help or provide depth in the playoffs. Ivanans would spend most of the playoffs in the press box.

Downey is a borderline NHL player, but he plays a better all-around game than Ivanans. The point of acquiring someone at the trade deadline is to get somebody who could help or provide depth in the playoffs. Ivanans would spend most of the playoffs in the press box.

Ivanans would probably be in the minors let alone the press box. Downey is the only enforcer we need. We need big players with some skill, not big oaufs that can barely crack LA's lineup.

Well, how many players in the league are big, skilled, can check (and do so) and fight?

Right.

edit:

The best addition for us would be Mats Sundin.

Edited by Reds4Life

Nice post. Good to keep up with the trade options.

I agree with the need for a "star" player to be on the 2nd line with Flip/Rex or Flip & Rex. We have 3 stars on the first line and usually the 2nd and 3rd lines do their job creating scoring chances and being defensive against the other team. But, right now the best D pair on the opposing team knows who they will play against. To have a great second line to sustain the pressure created by the first after the #1 D pair goes off is what wins games in the post.

As for a depth D man (ala Cory Cross), all I ask for is size, passing, and skating. They don't need to fight, they don't need to be fast, but they have to know how to hit and fire the puck on the PP (to get Sammy off the line). A Blake or Salo is what I want, but I won't get it.

why not brad staurt his stock is taking a nose dive as for a forward i don t know his situation but maybe glen murray

Cleary has the heart of a wolve no doubt.. Franzen is such a ***** i cant believe you put the word Grinding and Franzen in the same sentance.. He cheapshots Jackman weather people believe it or not. it wasnt a clean hit.. but since its jackman no one cares.. Franzen gets challenged and before he even got hit he played turtle.. Downey started out great, but lately it seems like he forgot what he was here to do..

With our 2 Top Scoring Lines.. then The Grind line.. We need our 4th line to mean something. Right now its just out there to give our big threats a rest.. Sure thats what its for mostly. but id like for it to be areal threat. Drake,Downey,Kopecky,Ivannas all sharing 4th line duties.. That would be a dangerous group in there own right.. Drake you always gotta look out for the open ice hit and cheap shot along the boards.. Downey you gotta look out for the big hits and fists.. Kopecky he can lay the body on and control the puck fairly well then Ivannas would be our secondary enforcer. and id be something for other teams to have to worry about and game plan for.

just because you can t fight does not mean your not a grinder look at vladdy and maltby