• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Reds4Life

Red Wings MVP

Rate this topic

I know MVP honors always go to a big name but I don't think the big names on this team are the most valuable!

The big worries most of us had going into the season were secondary scoring and team toughness(do not read that as fighting). This has become a grinding team that gets scoring from multiple almost every night, and that can pass the puck around you all night.

Having said that,

Hasek started incredibly slow, then got injured. Osgood has stepped it up big time, and if Howard were sitting where Osgood is I have a feeling this team is not in 1st even in its own division.

Now I am not an Osgood lover, I actually was not in favor of signing him. But I have to admit right now he has got to be the MVP.

19-2-1

http://www.letsgowings.com/content/view/118/2/

Notes: Chris Osgood was voted the teams’ MVP by the fans through the first-half of the season, followed by Zetterberg. Hasek needs 11 wins to pass former Red Wing Mike Vernon for 10th place on the all time career win list. Chris Chelios needs 29 games to pass Ray Bourque and former Wing Larry Murphy on the all time games played list.

That's exactly my choice too: 1. Osgood, 2. Zetterberg (3. Lidstrom)

Not to take anything away from Chris Osgood,he has played out of his mind this year,but who would you rather NOT have? Nick Lidstrom or Chris Osgood? Theres your MVP.

Not to take anything away from Chris Osgood,he has played out of his mind this year,but who would you rather NOT have? Nick Lidstrom or Chris Osgood? Theres your MVP.

Before we get started I am not saying Lids is not vital to this team hear me out first.

If Lids were to go down in the first week and Ralf or Meech filled his spot and the team had this record, than I would give the MVP to whomever took Lids spot.

Lids is Valuable, but what Osgood did in being able to stop what could have been a very troubled streak. Hasek was already a little slow out of the gate, I think if it is Howard instead of Ozzie we are talking about a barely .500 team.

That to me puts Ozzie that one notch above lids, and it is a small notch.

I think Dats is a step above Hank, because with Hank and Homer out of the line up, Dats has been able to keep scoring points.

Dan Cleary is really impressing lately. He is on pace for mathematically almost a 30 goal season, but I think he might hit 25 goals, maybe 30 if he continues to play First line minutes with Datsyuk.

My MVP is Datsyuk though, when Hank went down, Pavs racked up the points and took some of the load off of Lidstrom shoulders while leading this team.

Oviously Lidstrom is an elite defensemen and you can not find a better guy to lead the team, but we expect that from him it has become a given that he will be so great.

Before we get started I am not saying Lids is not vital to this team hear me out first.

If Lids were to go down in the first week and Ralf or Meech filled his spot and the team had this record, than I would give the MVP to whomever took Lids spot.

Lids is Valuable, but what Osgood did in being able to stop what could have been a very troubled streak. Hasek was already a little slow out of the gate, I think if it is Howard instead of Ozzie we are talking about a barely .500 team.

That to me puts Ozzie that one notch above lids, and it is a small notch.

I think Dats is a step above Hank, because with Hank and Homer out of the line up, Dats has been able to keep scoring points.

Hey, why are you putting down Howard? I think if Hasek got off to that bad start and Howard came in and played as poorly as you are suggesting, then Hasek would have taken the whole load, as for him getting injured, it wasn't that long.

They are playing great and I hope they keep it up.

The question " Who would you rather have ? " is not the same as " Most Valuable Player " .

Hey, why are you putting down Howard? I think if Hasek got off to that bad start and Howard came in and played as poorly as you are suggesting, then Hasek would have taken the whole load, as for him getting injured, it wasn't that long.

They are playing great and I hope they keep it up.

Hey man I am probably the biggest Fan of J-Ho on these boards, I don't want to trade for another goalie, I want to have him come up as soon as possible, and the sooner he gets up to the NHL the sooner Ozzie can mentor him and help him become a great (Hopefully) NHL goalie. Having said that, Ozzie has played some amazing games (so hasn't Dom lately), games that I don't think Howard has in him yet. That was my point, not to dis Howard!

The question " Who would you rather have ? " is not the same as " Most Valuable Player " .

MVP is by definition most valuable to the team. Thats Nick to me,in fact I would say hes the MVP of the entire league in the first half. 30 minutes a game +34 ,40 points and kills almost all our penalties. I love Ozzie ,Hank and Pavel and they are all having great years but Nick is Nick.Its actually a testament to how well the team has played that we have 4 legitimate MVP candidates to argue about.

MVP is by definition most valuable to the team. Thats Nick to me,in fact I would say hes the MVP of the entire league in the first half. 30 minutes a game +34 ,40 points and kills almost all our penalties. I love Ozzie ,Hank and Pavel and they are all having great years but Nick is Nick.Its actually a testament to how well the team has played that we have 4 legitimate MVP candidates to argue about.

Agreed. Ozzie has been a badass, but I think our team would still be top 3 in the West. Lidstrom makes it a lot easier on Dom/Ozzie when he's on the ice.

As an unbiased vote, I would choose Lidstrom. He is so consistent and plays amazing in every zone. Zetterberg second and Datsyuk a close third. Osgood wouldn't even come close. Sure he has an amazing record, but common folks, any NHL calibur goaltender would have similar numbers on this Red Wings team. They allow roughly 20 shots per game , and a handful of scoring chances. I think most people will agree with me that Ozzy wouldn't even be close to the numbers he has now on any other team in the league.

Edited by Avalanche Warning

Lidstrom is my vote, he is filling in for the greatest captain ever with style!

A mannequin would look good in net on this team and our D is the reason. Both our G-Men are playing great but the D has been the key to that!

Please some one tell me how a Mannequin could be the backstop for this team yet to start the season, Hasek was struggling to do it. Last I checked he was more than a mannequin.

The reason I picked Ozzie over Lids, is that yes this defense controls a lot of the shots and the goalies don't face a lot of shots. However, when they do face a shot it is usually a pretty decent scoring chance, because the D does so well, as a team.

If every shot Osgood face was from 30 feet out, I would not argue Lids as MVP, but Osgood and Hasek as of late have looked very very good!

IMO Ozzie has been the best goalie in the league this year, so it's not like I am a hater. I'm just saying we haven't had a chance (thank God) to see how having Nick out of the lineup would effect our two headed monster Dom and Ozzie. Nick plays on average a little over 27 minutes a game, so pretty much half the game. You take away his kind of skill, we suffer on D (obviously) and on PP/PK's. Maybe I am giving too much credit to Nicky, but I don't think Ozzie or Dom (at least lately) would have as much success without him.

As an unbiased vote, I would choose Lidstrom. He is so consistent and plays amazing in every zone. Zetterberg second and Datsyuk a close third. Osgood wouldn't even come close. Sure he has an amazing record, but common folks, any NHL calibur goaltender would have similar numbers on this Red Wings team. They allow roughly 20 shots per game , and a handful of scoring chances. I think most people will agree with me that Ozzy wouldn't even be close to the numbers he has now on any other team in the league.

See, now that is just a post of total ignorance. You may say that you have, but judging from your response, you have not watched many games this year in which Osgood has played. He has stolen a couple games for us this year which we had no business winning. He is playing the best hockey of his career. Holland said it. The team said it. The coach said it. Hell, even Melrose said it. And if he was only winning because of seeing low amounts of shots, how do explain him still having the best SV % in the league?

See, now that is just a post of total ignorance. You may say that you have, but judging from your response, you have not watched many games this year in which Osgood has played. He has stolen a couple games for us this year which we had no business winning. He is playing the best hockey of his career. Holland said it. The team said it. The coach said it. Hell, even Melrose said it. And if he was only winning because of seeing low amounts of shots, how do explain him still having the best SV % in the league?

So if we say Ozzie stole 3 games for us this year does that make him more valuable to this team than Nick? I dont think so,but like I said its great that we have so many MVP candidates to argue about.Ozzie deserves to be recognized for his brilliant play but maybe it should be first half Player Of The Year because I'm willing to bet if Mike Babcock had to choose one of the two it would be Nick.

The same guy that has been our MVP for the last 10 years, Lidstrom.

Like I said in the previous post, I really thought it'd be a no-brainer, but I forgot how many Ozzie homers there are here. This team leads the league in shots for, and fewest shots against, so how can anyone say our goalie is the biggest reason for the success. Lidstrom is the heart and soul of this team, and has been for a long time.

GMRwings1983,

If Ozzie was the starter from the beginning I think you hit the nail right on the head. However what imo gives him a boost is that he was supposed to be the back up, the starter was struggling and then injured, if it is not Ozzie behind Dom, I seriously doubt the results would be the same. And as much as I love Lids, he is not on the ice for every shift (half of the game is about as close as it gets though), so to say that he impacts every save that a goalie makes is a stretch. EDIT: that sounded like I said you wrote that he impacted every save, my point was the D plays great but he still has to make saves.

Sidenote:

I love the fact that instead of debating how this team sucks and who is to blame, or trashing players, there is a thread talking about all of the good that guys bring to the table.

Dats

Z

Homer

Cleary

Huds

Flip

Draper

Lids

Ralf

Mule

Osgood

Hasek

Kronwall

Lebda

Lots of guys have stepped up and made huge impacts on this team. Are they all in the running for first half MVP, no but that is still a good list of players that are helping out the team big time.

Edited by Opie

Maybe we cannot agree on whether it should Ozzie or Lids. The one thing I think we can agree on is that it's a damn good problem to have two potential MVP's. You could make strong arguements for my personal fav Dats or even Hank. Those 4 are brilliant.

Edited by Mudvayneowns91