• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
DenJ91

Should the wings retire Fedorov's number?

Rate this topic

Should the wings retire Fedorov's number?  

69 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I made a topic in the rumor section on how the Wings could be interested on bringing back Fedorov. I can only dream for this to happen. I mentioned that the Wings should indeed retire #91, how many agree and why. His numbers are very strong, MVP, selke, pearson, 3 cups, all star, 13 seasons as a wing. I won't go into detail why I believe he should, I think we all know what he's done, so discuss.

If he comes back to the Wings and retires on a positive note, then yeah. He has earned alot here, but too many fans hate him for this to happen. A lot like the reason why Roy isn't retired by the Habs. If he were to retire today, I'd give it a 90% chance his number will not be in the rafters.

ok fair enough but seems your vote goes more towards spite than what he's done for the wings. If he came back and had zero points but retired a wing would he then get your vote simply cause he finished in a wings uniform? The numbers are stellar, I honestly don't think he needs to prove anymore. Yes i understand fans are upset with him for leaving, are fans upset with Shanahan? i honestly don't know, i don't live in detroit. clearly i'm for his # being retired so you will all see that come across in my replies but thanks for replying, cause this isn't about my opinion alone.

Guest GordieSid&Ted
I made a topic in the rumor section on how the Wings could be interested on bringing back Fedorov. I can only dream for this to happen. I mentioned that the Wings should indeed retire #91, how many agree and why. His numbers are very strong, MVP, selke, pearson, 3 cups, all star, 13 seasons as a wing. I won't go into detail why I believe he should, I think we all know what he's done, so discuss.

I don't get too upset about him going to Anaheim. What ticked me off more was that he signed an offer sheet with Carolina.

Remember, he did that back before any of the Stanley Cup wins and alot of the other personal records, such as 13 years as a Wing.

Had the Wings not shown their loyalty to him (which he did not show by signing with Carolina), he'd have zero cups with the Wings and wouldn't have the 13 years that he did to begin with.

Now, I don't begrudge any player for wanting to get the most money they can. That being said, signing an offer sheet to play for another club does not show loyalty to the organization and when it comes to hanging numbers from the rafters, that is about as important a qualification for me personally as there is.

I agree with BeeRyce. Roy ain't going up in Montreal and Sergei is in no way going up in Detroit.

I'm am currently taking bets from anyone and everyone on this. If you want, pony up your dough, i'd be glad to take it from you.

No, it isn't him just retiring with the Wings, it's him coming back and putting up decent numbers while gaining the respect back with the majority of the fans. Personally, I still like Sergei, and I wish everyone did too, but they don't. Retiring numbers doesn't ONLY have to do with statistical success, it also has alot to do with being remembered by fans for their integrity along with success. If Sergei had a banner night in Detroit, 75% of the fans would boo while his number was going up into the rafters, and that's just not right.

Guest GordieSid&Ted
ok fair enough but seems your vote goes more towards spite than what he's done for the wings. If he came back and had zero points but retired a wing would he then get your vote simply cause he finished in a wings uniform? The numbers are stellar, I honestly don't think he needs to prove anymore. Yes i understand fans are upset with him for leaving, are fans upset with Shanahan? i honestly don't know, i don't live in detroit. clearly i'm for his # being retired so you will all see that come across in my replies but thanks for replying, cause this isn't about my opinion alone.

Does it matter if fans are upset with Shanny? We're not talking about hanging Shanny's number from the rafters so I don't think that matters at all.

Well Shanny's case is different anyway. If his number were to be retired by the Wings, then a handful of others should be retired... The whole JLA ceiling would be filled with numbers.

i was just mentioning shanny, because he left too and he had a great career while with the red wings, not that he should have his # retired just relating to how fans should be upset with him too.i also want to mention that fedorov took his entire salary in 97-98 after the holdout and started the Sergei Fedorov foundation which still provides to kids in the michigan area. So he didn't do it all for the money.

i agree in a way they wouldn't think about retiring his number unless he retired as a wing, and i think if sergei did come back then fans would quickly accept him back and he would go out on a great note.

Edited by DenJ91

I don't think Shanahan's numner will be retired from Detroit, anyways.

As it is right now there is no way Fedorov's number should be retired -- numbers are not everything. Lidstrom is the only current NHLer who deserves that recognition right now.

Shanny is a different situation. He didn't leave because of money. In fact, I believe he left for less money. He felt his generation of players (Yzerman, Shanahan, McCarty, Larionov, Hull etc) was old news and since the Wings were going in a new direction (Z, Dats) it was time for him to do so as well. He left on good terms and as Wings fans we were sad to see him go but in the end still love him as a player. If it ever comes up as to whether or not we should retire Shanny's number, then I say hell yeah! He was the missing piece in 97 and was outstanding as a Wing. I don't know if the Wings organization feels the same way or not but IMO they should consider retiring his number at the very least. Plus when someone else wears 14 it just doesn't feel right to me.

As for Sergei, yes he put up amazing numbers and was a key part of this team. Does he deserve the consideration to have his number retired? Yeah. But do the fans of this city love him enough to where it should be done?...I really don't think so. Numbers don't mean jack if no one loves you as a player. You can't have a retirement ceremony for someone who's going to be booed of the ice for leaving the only team he ever knew for more money.

The number that hangs from the rafters isn't just about the numbers they put up on the ice, its also a reflection of the love of the fans and organization. Without that, it's just meaningless and worthless.

I don't get too upset about him going to Anaheim. What ticked me off more was that he signed an offer sheet with Carolina.

Remember, he did that back before any of the Stanley Cup wins and alot of the other personal records, such as 13 years as a Wing.

Had the Wings not shown their loyalty to him (which he did not show by signing with Carolina), he'd have zero cups with the Wings and wouldn't have the 13 years that he did to begin with.

He signed the offer sheet with Carolina before the 97-98 season. He already had one Cup.

And no, unless he finishes with Detroit it won't be retired.

oh sorry i put the topic in the wrong forum, anyway

i understand alot of fans are angry with him, that's understandable. he didn't do it all for money, the offer sheet, yeah i'll agree that sucked but ya know they're are agents who make money on their client making money. i think if it were in front of you too on the table you might be talked into signing it too. let's say marc savard comes to detroit, do they let him use #91 even though fed's number isn't retired?

this sucks, where are the fedorov supporters, don't be shy! ha. i honestly think sergei regrets leaving detroit and wishes he was back, although i can't read his mind.

I think it should, because he's one of the best Wings players ever, and who the hell is ever going to wear 91 again anyway? However, it won't be retired because of the terms under which he left. Hell, if he retired after 2003, the number probably would have been retired by now.

I think it should, because he's one of the best Wings players ever, and who the hell is ever going to wear 91 again anyway? However, it won't be retired because of the terms under which he left. Hell, if he retired after 2003, the number probably would have been retired by now.

thank you gmr, you didn't vote though did you? get a 4 up there for "yes"

i'm new to the site as of today and just realized there was a fedorov # retiring forum previously made a while back, sorry, but hopefully we'll continue this one. i brought it up because of a rumor the wings could be interested in bringing him back soon this season.

Guest GordieSid&Ted
oh sorry i put the topic in the wrong forum, anyway

i understand alot of fans are angry with him, that's understandable. he didn't do it all for money, the offer sheet, yeah i'll agree that sucked but ya know they're are agents who make money on their client making money. i think if it were in front of you too on the table you might be talked into signing it too. let's say marc savard comes to detroit, do they let him use #91 even though fed's number isn't retired?

this sucks, where are the fedorov supporters, don't be shy! ha. i honestly think sergei regrets leaving detroit and wishes he was back, although i can't read his mind.

Look, you can gloss over the Carolina offer sheet all you want. And I already said that I don't hold it against any player or his agent for trying to get the most money out of any deal.

BUT, and i'm sorry about this, you don't get to sign up to go play for another team and then still get your jersey retired here.

We need to get something straight about signing offer sheets with other teams.

1. If you are going to do that, then good for you. Get as much money as you possibly can.

2. But if you do that, you are not showing your loyalty to the organization and therefore, you don't get the honor of having your number retired. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Well, unless your name is Gretzky, Bourque I suppose. And sorry, as good as he was he's not in their league.

PS: A poll on LGW would probably be closer than anywhere else. You won't find more savvy and diehard fans than right here. That being said, most of us are set on which side we're on. I bet if you went around the city and polled fans, there'd be an overwhelming "NO" vote.

Edited by GordieSid&Ted

first of all i would love for the red wings to get fedorov back at the deadline. am i the only one who keeps up with the scores of blue jacket games to make sure they lose and fall out of the playoff hunt? secondly, the only way i could see this happening is if he were to come back to the wings, be a big part of a cup run and win back the fans. then retire. a part of me things that the wings should just retire feds lids and shanny's numbers because of what they have done, all next to each other, so when u look up u see 19 91 5 14 all hanging together. that would be special because everyone would remember them and the cup runs. and even if they dont retire their numbers, they should do something like with vladdy and at least for the next 5 or 10 years not have anyone wear the numbers. because seeing meech wearing 14 kinda broke my heart. same goes with anyone in 91 for detroit. just my opinion

Edited by WingMachine91

if you have to ask then the number shouldn't be up there. how many threads were started to ask if Yzerman deserved it?

well come on now, we can't compare yzerman and fedorov, yzerman stayed 22/23 years in detroit and let's face it, he's the face of the red wings along with howe. there's always discussion for everything though.

If you have to ask the question, the answer is NO!

The only numbers that should be retired are the ones where it's blatantly blindingly mindblowingly obvious it should happen. Right now the only number that fits is #5. If you have to "make the case", no matter how strong the case, then no. If it's not a foregone conclusion, then no.

Had Sergei stayed in Detroit and continued playing the way he always did, I think we'd have that foregone conclusion. But none of this "well if he finishes up here then maybe." No. Too late for that. #91 may be associated with Fedorov for quite a while - the same as #33 will be associated with Draper - but he does not deserve the ultimate honor of being immortalized in the rafters.

I voted no and here's why. I simply do not think he did enough to warrent getting his jersey retired.

If he had stayed here, then yes. But he ran out of town for the wrong reasons. He was even offered more money to stay in Detroit.

He was a HUGE part of us winning the Cup 3 times. But saying that, then I believe if he gets his jersey retired then so should Larionov. They basically did the same things while in Detroit.

Fedorov had some good seasons but he's not even close to being one of the top all time scorers in Wings history. He won some hardware but I really don't think he did enough in a Wings jersey to have it hung beside true greats like Yzerman, Howe, Abel, Lindsay, Sawchuk and (eventually) Lidstrom.