• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
DenJ91

Forwards that could have played defense?

Rate this topic

we all remember fedorov going back on defense for stretches of time and doing extremely well, even to the point where the great scotty bowman even said "if he were there a whole season, he could win a norris trophy". i'm curious to see if anyone thinks other forwards could have done something similar and been successful and how you'd rate them based on predicting an outcome. i'm scratching my head and i honestly can't really think of anyone. even looking back at the past selke winners like sammy paulsson, jere lehtinen, rod brind'amour etc, they don't seem like ideal defensmen. i'm not saying you have to be big, fedorov is decent size, didn't really need to hit much, he was smart with the puck and knew how to move around checks.

can you think of anyone?

Edited by DenJ91

wendel clark huh?? hmmmm, well why do you say that? i don't personally think he would make a good dman, but maybe you could explain. he wasn't the best of skaters, not really known for his passing skills, he was a decent scorer over his career and he became more responsible defensively just as everyone does when they play for the wings.

wendel clark huh?? hmmmm, well why do you say that? i don't personally think he would make a good dman, but maybe you could explain. he wasn't the best of skaters, not really known for his passing skills, he was a decent scorer over his career and he became more responsible defensively just as everyone does when they play for the wings.

The only reason I mentioned Clark is because he was a defenseman when he was drafted. He was converted to forward when he came into the league.

wow i didn't know that about clark, good to know. i guess right there it proves his potential was more on the offensive side. who knows maybe wendel could have been a decent defenseman.

matthieu dandenault is a great example. drafted as a wing, played defense for a few years, now back as a right wing with the habs.

i think a lot of the great forwards woulda made good defenseman. a lot of playing defense is good vision. if you can see the ice well you'll be able to put yourself in good position. because of that i think wayne, Stevie or mario could have been good defensemen.

Names not mentioned yet...

Mike Fisher

Michael Peca

John Madden

Jay Pandolfo

Sammy Pahlsson

Jere Lehtinen

Craig Conroy

You have to remember though, being a good defensive forward doesn't necessarily mean you would be a good defenseman. Your positioning and actual defensive play would be totally different.