• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

PaulMorin88

Cleary: Out 6-8 Weeks w/Broken Jaw

Rate this topic

alright everybody,

CALM THE FRACK DOWN!!!!

Yes, it sucks for Cleary. Yes, its a blow for the team.

But ya know what? We're still gunna win the Presidents Trophy. He's gunna be back for the playoffs.

THERE IS NO NEED TO PANIC!!!!!!!!!!!

And there is no need to trade away half the team to bring in another player just to replace him. We'll be fine the rest of the way. Any trades need to be based purely and simply on improving the team for the playoffs. And that includes keeping DC.

Edited by Nev

Thats s***ty. Dan has been having a tremendous year its a shame to see it derailed by a fluke injury like this.

Get well soon CLeary...

Kenny go get some help without Dan the teams scoring is going to slump a little. I think a different player whose number ends in 1 could be in order...if you get my drift.

I am relieved that he will be back for the playoffs...but, I agree...there is no need to panic for the rest of the regular season. I just feel bad for him and it kind of ruined a career year. I am not so sure I want us to give up players to get players before the trade deadline. I wouldn't mind a scoring forward and a depth defensemen, if it didn't cost us players on the roster.

It's a massive blow losing Cleary for a few weeks but the Wings will get by . they are strong enough to deal with it . well look at it this way Zetts was on fire earlier this season got injured and the team still rolled on and kept winning . we'll be ok. he'll be back in no time .

Good luck Dan , get well soon. :thumbup:

alright everybody,

CALM THE FRACK DOWN!!!!

Yes, it sucks for Cleary. Yes, its a blow for the team.

But ya know what? We're still gunna win the Presidents Trophy. He's gunna be back for the playoffs.

THERE IS NO NEED TO PANIC!!!!!!!!!!!

And there is no need to trade away half the team to bring in another player just to replace him. We'll be fine the rest of the way. Any trades need to be based purely and simply on improving the team for the playoffs. And that includes keeping DC.

Telling people to not panic in here is like talking to air or a brick wall unfortunately. Take your pick of which is least effective.

Leave it to my most hated Wing to take out one of my favorites :angry:

yeah yeah...im not serious as i know it wasnt intentional, but figures it would go down like that!

how does a shot from sammy hurt anybody?

He has a hard shot. Normally, however, he takes care to aim at the crest on the goalie's jersey.... <_<

Someone must have told him not to aim there. Figures the first time he listens, he takes out Cleary... :rolleyes:

Edit: spelling

Edited by CdnWingsFanEh

Man this sucks. :( When he left the game with the towel on his face, I thought it would be a quick stitch job and the warrior would be back next period. But a broken jaw, and surgery?? I guess Sammy has a pretty hard shot afterall. Losing Clery means losing a lot of heart and hustle, but not necessarily losing all hope. The rest of the team just has to step it up for 6-8 weeks now. Get well Danny, we'll need you for the playoffs!

Another reason to hate that retard Samuelson. Where was he shooting on that play? It was going 2-3 above the net? Why the hell would you do that when somebody is screening the goalie? He has no control over his shot. I bet at any given time he just throws in the general direction of the net and has absolutely no idea where its going to go, thats why it almost always goes in the goalies chest. Too bad he missed his favorite target this time...

Make him go away already, Kenny.

Guest octopusdank
On the bright side, he should be well rested for the playoffs.

hell yeah he'll be ******* HUNGRY :siren:

Bad news, for sure...but lets keep some perspective.

1) Hating on Sammy for this is almost as retarded as the rest of the Sammy bashing that happens on this board. He was shooting the puck, trying to score or set up a rebound. The puck sailed high and hit his teammate. This does not make him a horrible hockey player or the devil incarnate. Get over it. These things happen.

2) Cleary is out for a reported 6-8 weeks. Knowing him, and the nature of the injury (i.e. it's not a knee, ankle or groin), it's likely that his schedule will actually accelerate. I'm going to guess he misses 4-5 weeks, and come back with a mask. His effectiveness will be limited due to the time out of game and due to the mask, but he'll be back. I'm also guessing that he'll be able to start skating within a week of the surgery, just no contact plays. This is good.

3) This does step up our need for F depth, but it's not the end of the world. If that puck had hit Homer, I'd be singing a slightly different tune, but this is an energy player, not one of our top 3.

Guest LivingtheDream

Jesus Christ, maybe this will teach Sammy to stop taking all those stupid useless shots? This is going to hurt us, but the good news is he will be back. Cleary is the definition of playing with heart.

Edit: I know it is not fair to blame Sammy, but so what. The guy annoys most of us and we can be irrational fans any time! :-)

Edited by LivingtheDream

Permission granted to be an irrational fan, but... ;)

Sammy is not, I repeat, NOT, the useless shot factory he gets ripped for here so often. We have a team built around playmakers and not a single true sniper. SOMEONE other than Lidstrom has to shoot the puck!

This just makes me feel ill, he was having a good year and has been one reliable constant this year. I knew they jinked him when they talked about his goals for the year the other night. :(

I fear this may hurt us big if others can't step up.

Sammy is not, I repeat, NOT, the useless shot factory he gets ripped for here so often. We have a team built around playmakers and not a single true sniper. SOMEONE other than Lidstrom has to shoot the puck!

The guy has a 4.9 shooting percentage (it was 4.4 before yesterdays game, so he got a free .5 for having the puck go in off his leg). His shot is the epitome of Detroit's mysterious shot advantage, where yes, it's true we outshot the opponent 44-12 but 36 of those shots came from the sideboards with no traffic in front of the net.

Samuelsson is an ok 3rd liner, but that's where I'm going to draw the line. He doesn't deserve PP time, he doesn't deserve a spot in the line-up over Hudler, and he certainly shouldn't be able to fail upwards into a 2nd line position - and yet he gets all of these perks because he has a wild shot apparently.

The good news with this is that recovery from a broken jaw won't hinder Cleary's ability when the playoffs come along. This isn't a back, wrist, or ankle injury. The bad news is that our 2nd line PP gets even worse, which is remarkable considering we already have Chelios and Samuelsson on the point.

I don't think Holland will make a panic move with Kronwall and Cleary now out. Regardless of their injuries, this team could still use a scoring forward who is useful on the PP. I think our defensive depth is good enough for the playoffs but the thought of losing Holmstrom, Zetterberg, or Datsyuk in the postseason scares the s*** out of me.

On a side note, trading Franzen would be extremely dumb as he is a fantastic shut down center. LGW wants grit, but wants to trade one of our grittiest players away - this makes no sense.

i hate samuelsson even more now...that is hockey 101 *******, when youre teammate is standing in front of the net you dont rifle one 6 feet in the air. usually this would mean that in practice someone would kick his ass but i doubt anyone will. come on downey beat the s*** out of sammy please and maybe even break his jaw

From Mlive and Ansar Khan:

I just spoke to Wings general manager Ken Holland and he told me Dan Cleary had surgery last night on his fractured jaw and was told he'll be out eight weeks, meaning he's likely done for the rest of the regular season.

"He really had two options with surgery,'' Holland said. "One option was they could wire it shut for eight weeks and the other option was to perform surgery, insert plates, insert screws, tighten it all. That way after two weeks they can take the wiring off and he can eat (solid foods). He wanted to do that because it gives him a better chance to physically have some strength for the playoffs.

Doctors inserted three plates and 15 screws.

"Doctors told him he can play in eight weeks, that's right around the start of the playoffs,'' Holland said. "For the most part he's probably done for the regular season. If we get lucky maybe he can play the last game or two of the regular season. He' wired shut for about 10 day to two weeks and then he can eat (solid foods).''

Cleary hopes to begin skating in about a month.

Meanwhile, Holland said he will continue talking to teams up until the Feb. 26 trading deadline, looking some help up front (and on defense) and is prepared to deal some assets (prospects, draft picks) but isn't going to mortgage the future. He said he'll also continue negotiating with Cleary's agent in hopes of signing him to a long-term deal before he becomes an unrestricted free agent on July 1. Holland said he hopes to have a good idea where they stand by the trade deadline, because it could affect what other moves the team makes.

With Danny out for the rest of the regular season for sure now be sure that a trade will be made for a second line guy that can score.

To those blaming Sammy ;) He may suck but how the hell is this his fault??? Just because he shot the puck at the net (his job) and Danny was screening the goalie (his job) and some bad s*** happened doesn't mean its Sammy's fault....