• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
rwfan007

2008 Detroit Tigers Season Thread

Rate this topic

This is a great off-season already: getting rid of Hernandez and Renteria is the first step in the right direction. I would really like to see Leo Mazzone be the next pitching coach. As far as shortstop goes, I honestly would have no complaints about Santiago being the starter next season. The Tigers are going to score runs regardless - they can certainly afford to sacrifice some offense to improve the defense. I am not trying to harp on Inge (for now), but how is it that the front office/coaching staff has no problem with Inge being the starting third baseman but are reluctant to play Santiago at short everyday? Brandon is barely hitting above .200 - can Santiago really be any worse offensively?

link

Appears the Tigers and Rangers are in talks over Gearld Larid coming to the Tigers. Decent catcher who can share time with Dusty Ryan for the catcher position. Not sure if I like giving up a young arm but what else can the Tigers do. They need a catcher and there isnt much out there in the market.

Not sure if I like giving up a young arm but what else can the Tigers do. They need a catcher and there isnt much out there in the market.

I don't like giving up arms either, but it looks like DD's new trend. He's willing to piss arms away, and replace them with the Garcia's and D-Train's of the world. Heck, Kerry Wood is on the market now too! Might as well get all the has been pitchers on one roster.

The Tigers also signed shortstop Adam Everett today.

The left side of the infield will be great defensively, but what a trainwreck at the plate. We're almost giving teams three free outs with Inge, Laird/Ryan, Everett/Santiago at the bottom of the order. I am happy though that anyone but Renteria will be playing shortstop next season.

Maybe JJ Putz will be next. That would be very nice.

Edwin Jackson for Matt Joyce? Are you kidding me DD?

Don't we have enough mediocre starting pitching already?

EDIT: Ken Rosenthal also mentioned in his blog that the Rangers inquired about Gary Sheffield since they are going to lose Milton Bradley. Please Dombrowski, take ANY deal you can get for Sheff.

Edited by GoWings1905

Yeah, the Tigers starting pitching looks like a minor league staff compared to what the Yankees may start with next season:

Sabathia

Burnett

Wang

Chamberlain

Pettitte?

I hate the Yankees, but my goodness what a pitching staff.

Edited by GoWings1905

anyone have any word on the Tigers closer this year? I hope that we arent relying on Trevor Hoffman as the closer but he might be the best option left. I was pissed when Putz went to the Mets.

Unless they decide to go after Fuentes from the Rockies, it will probably end up being someone like Brandon Lyon. The rumor was that the Mariners wanted at least Larish and Joyce for Putz. I don't really like the idea of Hoffman as a closer at all. He's more washed-up than Todd Jones at this point.