• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

WingsDC2B

... is Shanny next?

Rate this topic

Then why did he leave? You really don't buy that "it would be better for the young kids to develop" crap he spouted off on, do you?

I remember Shanny commenting on how he was afraid the Wings wouldn't bring him back after the 2004 playoff series against Calgary because he played bad. Fast forward a lockout and one season later, and he just leaves. He had a great season that year, but he really didn't get anymore from New York that Detroit would have counter-offered. So, why the change of heart? Something didn't sit well with him obviously.

Note: I hold nothing against Shanny for his decision. He'll always be one of my favorite players, and it's too bad things didn't work. But, things happen. Still, I firmly believe he wanted out of Detroit. Why else would he have left on his own, just two years after he said he didn't want to leave?

One fairly believable rumor is that he wanted to be near the league headquarters. He is obviously heavily involved in the players' union. He is also rumored to want to work in the league office when he retires. These are all things that bounce around during hockey radio talk shows - but fairly believable. Plus, he know it was the right time to move on after Stevie retired.

Total speculation on my part, but what is the biggest difference between the 2003-04 Wings and the 2005-06 Wings? Mike Babcock. Methinks Shanny had some issues with Babs.

Freddy Olausson had a liver transplant not long ago so he might not be available...

I agree with you, KPwings - I think - besides my feelings that Shanny didn't like being coached by Babs for some reason - that he just felt it was time to move on. I can't fault him for that. Many of us, regardless what we do for a living, reach a point in our careers where we feel it's just time to move on, whether it's because we get a better job offer from another company or just feel we've gone as far as we could in our current positions. Just like in real life, there's no such thing as spending your entire career with one company/team. The days of guys like Yzerman, Sakic and the like are basically over.

Thats what I was thinking. Didnt he have problems with Bowman as well?

Supposedly he did, even though he never came right out and said it. There were times you could clearly tell they were frustrated with each other and Shanny seemed to be in Scotty's doghouse quite frequently with no apparent reason.