• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
auxlepli

Hockey is winning

Rate this topic

On the front page ESPN poll the question is which is a greater highlight?

Mike Eruzione's goal that beat the Soviets in 1980

or

David Tyree's acrobatic catch late in Super Bowl XLII

With about 58,000 votes cast the hockey goal is winning 60 to 40 percent. It's also carrying every state except Mississippi. It must really gall ESPN.

Sadly, that's the only thing most Americans know about hockey is that game. Unfortunately, most of them didn't even know there was a game being played until it was over.

I don't know if the title of this thread is a joke, but there's at least one person in the world who thinks it's true, and that happens to be Gary Bettman.

the goal also won the greatest highlight award among a bunch of other plays such as doug fluties hail mary etc... it was this comeptition bracket style being hosted by berman

Sadly, that's the only thing most Americans know about hockey is that game. Unfortunately, most of them didn't even know there was a game being played until it was over.

I don't know if the title of this thread is a joke, but there's at least one person in the world who thinks it's true, and that happens to be Gary Bettman.

Wasn't that game actually one of the most watched sporting events of it's time?

I remember hearing something to that effect. It had a lot to do with the cold war and whatnot.

It was one of the more highly watched events, what GMR in his typical overreaction posting nature is refering to ( I am guessing) is that most American's didn't see the game live as it was played at 5pm and tape delayed.

In fact most Americans watched it due to the cold war, US v Russia thing.

I won't argue it as the best highlight ever. However, I don't think fan voting should have counted as much as it did.

Seriously, the highlight of that college football game that was up against the Eruzione goal wasn't even in the same league. It was a nice trick play, and the dude did propose to his gf after the game, but really, that's the second best highlight of all time? I could have some bias, but I think Kopy's goal against Tampa Bay earlier this season was more deserving than that.

I won't argue it as the best highlight ever. However, I don't think fan voting should have counted as much as it did.

Seriously, the highlight of that college football game that was up against the Eruzione goal wasn't even in the same league. It was a nice trick play, and the dude did propose to his gf after the game, but really, that's the second best highlight of all time? I could have some bias, but I think Kopy's goal against Tampa Bay earlier this season was more deserving than that.

i believe most of the highlights in the tournament were in championship games, bowl games or carried some other kind of significance. Kopecky's goal wasn't important.

with the Russian election all over the news and tension between Russia and United States, it probably brings some emotions about that impossible victory and the cold war... who knows... Plus that was a nation's win versus just another super bowl...

David Tyree's acrobatic catch late in Super Bowl XLII

Is it bad that I don't know:

A) Who David Tyree is?

B) What team he plays for?

C) What year Super Bowl XLII was?

Seriously, I have no clue on any of those.

A) Who David Tyree is?

It was the catch from this years superbowl where half of the pats team had a chance to tackle Eli, didn't and then he threw up a prayer that Tyree caught with Rodney Harrison all over him. He pretty much caught it using his hand and his helmet!

A) Who David Tyree is?

You aren't the only one. It's the first time I've ever seen this guy's name.

I really hate football.

My turn to sound like an idiot.

I have heard about the catch... because I hate the pats, and that catch saved my ass.

Too bad that I have never heard or seen of the hockey goal...

If somebody wants to post a youtube link that would be awesome, please?

Edited by cirov19

My turn to sound like an idiot.

I have heard about the catch... because I hate the pats, and that catch saved my ass.

Too bad that I have never heard or seen of the hockey goal...

If somebody wants to post a youtube link that would be awesome, please?

Seriously?

Second video is the best...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fztlLwgSFCg

The amazing part about it to me was watching the Russian players watching the US kids celebrate.

Some of them commented on the HBO Do you Believe in Miracles Special that they had forgot what it was like to take so much satisfaction from a win. That they had become so machine like that it was good to see guys celebrating like the us team did.

Being Machine like before the tourney (years before it) is what I think cost them the most. They could have pulled the goalie, but I don't think anyone on that team remembered how to pull the goalie. It had been so long since they had been anywhere near a loss, that they didn't know how to do it, plus with the back up in net who knows if he even knew what to look for from the bench.

BTW a good story that summarizes the game is here at this link:

http://www.miracleonice.us/story.html

If you haven't seen Miracle yet, I would recommend watching this documentary first:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0276918/

It gives a bit more of a historical point of view, where as Miracle has a lot more Movie to it, than substance. If that makes sense to anybody.

The amazing part about it to me was watching the Russian players watching the US kids celebrate.

Some of them commented on the HBO Do you Believe in Miracles Special that they had forgot what it was like to take so much satisfaction from a win. That they had become so machine like that it was good to see guys celebrating like the us team did.

Being Machine like before the tourney (years before it) is what I think cost them the most. They could have pulled the goalie, but I don't think anyone on that team remembered how to pull the goalie. It had been so long since they had been anywhere near a loss, that they didn't know how to do it, plus with the back up in net who knows if he even knew what to look for from the bench.

BTW a good story that summarizes the game is here at this link:

http://www.miracleonice.us/story.html

If you haven't seen Miracle yet, I would recommend watching this documentary first:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0276918/

It gives a bit more of a historical point of view, where as Miracle has a lot more Movie to it, than substance. If that makes sense to anybody.

so maybe the Soviets lost it versus Americans won it :rolleyes: hehe

Another thing most people forget about this game is that it WASNT for the gold medal. After that unbeleivable high those boys had to pull it together and come from behind to beat Finland for gold the next day.

Edited by UP2HERE