• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
rodeojones

Too fast for the refs?

Rate this topic

First let me state that this is not intended to be a referee bashing thread. I have an honest question that I want to throw out there and see what you all think.

As I watched some of the bad calls by referees over the past few games (I was at the Friday San Jose game) I got to thinking... with the rule changes over the last few years, and thus an increased focus on offense, do you think that the game has become so fast that the referees are simply trying to survive out there? It is almost as if the play speed has picked up so much that they can only catch plays out of their peripheral and therefore make calls that look "close". With touch-up off sides and no two-line passing there is a lot more player movement through the neutral zone, which means more bodies moving back and forth past the line of site of the referees.

Just a thought, looking for some feedback.

Guest octopusdank

well if this is true, then the refs need to pull slack and adapt. maybe get some younger guys in?? my cousin is a ref and barely had his first nhl game in canada after years of minor stuff. maybe the process is too long?? i dunno just my thoughts

People have been complaining about poor officiating since the beggining of time, so I am not sure there has been any recent increase in the number of bad calls.

To be honest, I don't think the increased speed of the game should really have much of an impact, however, I think there is a bit of survival mode happening simply because it is a difficult job. Some calls are easy, some are not. There will always be mistakes when you have rely on humans to do a diffcult task.

The NHL needs to pull a Starbucks and close down for 3 hours and retrain the refs on the rules of the game and how to enforce them. The first chapters should read:

Chapter 1: Watching the Puck and its Location

Chapter 2: The Whistle and You, How to Know When a Play Should Be Stopped

Chapter 3: Roughing. From Punches to Punches

Chapter 4: Interference; How NOT to F*ck Up a Game

Chapter 5: Leaving Your Feet is a Penalty (Tootoo Rule A)

Chapter 6: Charging is a Penalty (Tootoo Rule B)

And so on.

The NHL needs to pull a Starbucks and close down for 3 hours and retrain the refs on the rules of the game and how to enforce them. The first chapters should read:

And so on.

Wow, I'm almost convinced you make the "healthy atmosphere" work videos with how professional those titles are

Guest octopusdank

And so on.

:thumbup:

well if this is true, then the refs need to pull slack and adapt. maybe get some younger guys in?? my cousin is a ref and barely had his first nhl game in canada after years of minor stuff. maybe the process is too long?? i dunno just my thoughts

Awesome avatar!

NHL needs to clean house with the refs.

People have been complaining about poor officiating since the beggining of time, so I am not sure there has been any recent increase in the number of bad calls.

To be honest, I don't think the increased speed of the game should really have much of an impact, however, I think there is a bit of survival mode happening simply because it is a difficult job. Some calls are easy, some are not. There will always be mistakes when you have rely on humans to do a diffcult task.

I would agree that people have been complaining about bad officiating for a long time. But it appears to me that as of late the number of calls that have had a huge impact on the game (game determining calls) have been more frequent. At least in the 15 years that I have been watching.

And the human aspect of the game is good, I would agree. But when a hooking penalty is called because a guy gets his stick above waist level, that is not human, that is more auto response. It is my thought that those calls might be the result of a referee not being able to see things as clearly as he used to.

I think that it is also just a matter of them not paying enough attention to other infractions of the game and focusing too much on the hooking and holding. They are so focused on eliminating that aspect of the game that they often overlook obvious, and I mean obvio

us penalties. I swear every game I watch now not only has terrible terrible terrible calls being made, but also missing some of the most obvious penalties. It really makes me sick most nights hell they ruined several playoff games the past few years with all the calls. No 5 on 5 no flow, penalties every minute no excitement during powerplays or penalty kills. Thats it for me,

Go wings

First let me state that this is not intended to be a referee bashing thread. I have an honest question that I want to throw out there and see what you all think.

As I watched some of the bad calls by referees over the past few games (I was at the Friday San Jose game) I got to thinking... with the rule changes over the last few years, and thus an increased focus on offense, do you think that the game has become so fast that the referees are simply trying to survive out there? It is almost as if the play speed has picked up so much that they can only catch plays out of their peripheral and therefore make calls that look "close". With touch-up off sides and no two-line passing there is a lot more player movement through the neutral zone, which means more bodies moving back and forth past the line of site of the referees.

Just a thought, looking for some feedback.

I am just as big of a critic of the refs as anyone. The goal against Anaheim waved off, the one off the net the other day, and the numerous crap that is called or not called daily. I started a thread sometime back about needing a buzzer or red bean bag to throw, or the replay system similar to what the NFL uses. We need something, the game is just too fast!

Guest CaliWingsNut
I am just as big of a critic of the refs as anyone. The goal against Anaheim waved off, the one off the net the other day, and the numerous crap that is called or not called daily. I started a thread sometime back about needing a buzzer or red bean bag to throw, or the replay system similar to what the NFL uses. We need something, the game is just too fast!

I'm watching the OTT vs ANA game right now... game got stopped in the first two minutes because a official nearly got taken out by a puck (took it to the leg and he skated it off after talking to the trainers from BOTH teams).

Announcers have mentioned 3 times so far about officals being in the way of the game (and were not even through half of the first).

Edited by CaliWingsNut

we need to replace the refs with robots that are equiped with computers

What about Cyborgs? j/k

Refs get paid enough that they should be better at making the correct call. The league has been around enough that it should have rules to make up for even the best ref's eventual error. If the refing and rules seem fake to the fans, then they might as well start marketing the league to the WWE crowd.

And so on.

Chapter 7: There's No Special Rule That States That Holmstrom Must Stay Two Feet Outside the Crease

I'm no ref basher either (my kid's one and it's not real fun listening to travel hockey parents yelling "RETARD!" at him), but I can't sign on to the OP's theory. There's four sets of eyes on the play. Somebody, should be able to keep track of what's going on.

Edited by Gizmo

I'm watching the OTT vs ANA game right now... game got stopped in the first two minutes because a official nearly got taken out by a puck (took it to the leg and he skated it off after talking to the trainers from BOTH teams).

Announcers have mentioned 3 times so far about officals being in the way of the game (and were not even through half of the first).

That's an excellent point as well. I have seen numerous times the puck or the players smashing in to the refs. More than I have seen in past years. Maybe it is something that I am just now noticing? I don't know. But when this is happening it says to me that the refs are just having trouble seeing the play out there. Maybe it will just take time for them to get up to speed. Maybe long enough for the NHL to decide that it needs to go back to a more defensive style hockey! :lol:

Younger Stripes? I disagree. In the Beginning, (Genesis 1:1), I HATED Ron Hoggarth - it was only his last 6-8 yrs that he actually turned into a decent referee. (High accolades for a ref from me.) Prolly one of my favs in the end.

Shick? Same. He's now palatable. His early career textbook game was as follows: Call one team for everything in the first - other team for everything in the 2nd - then in the 3rd look for a way to make the calls to get it into O.T. Saw it 1000x.

Now Marouelli? Correct - he can be replaced by C.O.B. today. He'd call Yzerman 2 mins for skating. Hated Stevie.

McGeough? Just turn the ******* TV OFF. Lower your blood pressure.

I could go on.......of course.

Replay? Agreed. Give the coach a beanbag - limit it to review the goal/non-goal call. This ain't the NBA. Goals mean something.

And of course - lessen their workload and get rid of the instigator rule.

aloha