• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
AUWingsFan

McCarty's Return

Rate this topic

You're all assuming that McCarty will make the playoff lineup. This is by no means assured. He was signed in order to provide depth, and not necessarily to start. I expect him to play a few of the remaining games in the regular season; his play in those games will determine, barring injuries, if he'll get the nod over Downey or Drake or Kopecky in the playoffs. Don't forget that Danny will be back; he'd bump Downey or Drake out of the lineup anyway (scratching Kopecky is unlikely, given his recent level of play).

Hudler, as he showed yesterday, can score if he has good linemates. Samuelsson continues to be worthless lately, and Stuart's presence bumps him off the 2nd power play unit, but he did produce last year in the playoffs. One never knows.

Hudler stopped scoring with those decent linemates, which is why he was eventually demoted to the 4th line. It's not like he woke up one day to find out that for no reason he was on the 4th line. As for Kopecky, I haven't watched every game recently, but from what I have watched, I have no idea what you're referring to as far as "his recent play" is concerned.

We must all remember, though, that we have no clue what Mac will look like or what he can contribute to this team besides grit and popularity. I think there' s a chance that he'll crack the lineup if we play Calgary or Anaheim again, since those teams always try to act tough with us.

You're all assuming that McCarty will make the playoff lineup. This is by no means assured. He was signed in order to provide depth, and not necessarily to start. I expect him to play a few of the remaining games in the regular season; his play in those games will determine, barring injuries, if he'll get the nod over Downey or Drake or Kopecky in the playoffs. Don't forget that Danny will be back; he'd bump Downey or Drake out of the lineup anyway (scratching Kopecky is unlikely, given his recent level of play).

Hudler, as he showed yesterday, can score if he has good linemates. Samuelsson continues to be worthless lately, and Stuart's presence bumps him off the 2nd power play unit, but he did produce last year in the playoffs. One never knows.

Actually, I wouldnt be surprised if McCarty started as many games as hes physically able to. No reason not to give the guy as much conditioning time as possible to get him reacquainted with the NHL. I dont think well see the "whoever earns the roster spot will get the roster spot" practice until the playoffs are here.

Actually, Kopecky leads all Wings forwards with 97 hits and is only second to Lilja. Take it for what its worth.

Half of those hits were on Patrick Sharp's face in the only time Kopecky showed any remote possibility of being physical this season. That shows you how deceptive stats can be sometimes, because I don't think of him as a physical force, and I don't think any other team does either.

It's gotta be Drake. Nothing else really makes sense...

No, Drake, like Maltby, has been picking up his game as of late, which makes me think they will both be reliable playoff players this year.

Downey has mroe than earned his spot, no matter how excited I am for McCarty.

So that leaves Hudler and Kopecky. Maybe Hudler will pick up his play, and maybe against all odds he will actually get played during the playoffs.

But Kopecky, his play is the same as it always has been: nonexistent. He is a total bust. I can't even hate him or get annoyed with him like Sammy, who at least brings shots to the table, even if they are wildly inaccurate and ill-timed. But Kopecky brings NOTHING.

He just doesn't do....anything out there. Surely McCarty could fit into his spot, or at least fit into, say, Drake's role and have Drake fill Kopecky's shoes.

The kid is a spaceholder.

I really am interested to see who gets the nod come playoff time. As was already mentioned Cleary coming back will bump yet another forward off the roster as well.......

Ideally, Mac will be in good shape to play at an NHL level, then we can afford to rest players with nagging injuries throughout the playoffs......I really don't envy the coaches having to make the decision, because no matter what I still like all our players (even Sammy). I do wish Kopecky would use his size a little more (he's 6'3)....not necessarily saying he should be fighting all the time, but using his frame more to get to the net, etc (like they are encouraging Franzen to do).

I'm anxious to see how it all turns out....regardless I think the depth will be a positive come playoff time!

We'd all love it to be Samuelsson... and if not him Drake is the next useless... and yes he does chip in a goal every what 15 games?

Just not Downey, hes one of the few people in the roster who gives his all for the winged wheel and deserves a regular place in the line up.

Man you are so ignorant to what this team is about. A hockey team needs players like Drake, McCarty is just another player like Drake except worse as of right now. Drake will put his heart and soul for this team on the ice (not saying McCarty won't) But how can someone say get rid of Drake?

He was an aquisistion in the summer for a reason!

Of course all wing fans want Sammy gone, he has been playing as expected in the last 3 weeks. So shut up about that one because Babs loves him to much anyway.ey

Who should be sat down is Hudler. And anyway when Cleary gets back wouldn't that mean antoher player needs to sit?

So if anyone wants downey in during playoffs then kopecky and hudler will sit. And no way should kopecky sit over Downey unless it is against a Colorado or Anahiem or Minny with their fighter in.

I think it will be hudler who sits for McCarty if he even plays and Kopecky for Downey (slim chance though)

I think Downey is showing more promise than Drake. Downey has been getting a lot more ice time lately and there's a reason for that (more than he used to I mean). He hustles, works hard and keeps the opposition looking over their shoulders whenever he's on the ice. I have not seen that out of Drake. As for Drake being able to chip in a few goals you could not have put it better, considering that 3 goals is the exact number of goals he has for the season. I don't call that a huge contribution when there is nothing else to go along with it. I wouldn't care if he had no goals and no assists if he brought energy to the game and kept the opposition on their toes. But the fact is, he doesn't. The opposition doesn't care when he's on the ice.

I'm sorry, but Drakes meager 3 goals are not enough to convince me that he is the harder worker, or the better player out of the two for this team.

Anyway, that's the view from my seat.

Wow!?!

Yes it is your opinion and you seem to be observant to the details of each game, BUT how can you base what drake does on stats? or Even Downey for that matter.

here are some good questions:

How many points do you want out of Drake?

Does Downey EVER play penalty kill?

Is Drake's roll a point getter? or a playmaker? or a leader?

I am pretty sure he is a leader to all his teamates, he wants nothing more than to give another cup to Detroit faithful.

Downey is great, I love him on Detroit, but why not replace Hudler? instead of Drake. Hudler has no heart, he is small, and people wonder why Babs has him on 4th line. Anyway I don't see Drake sitting, no way.

You guys are talking like red wings will be 100 % healthy the rest of the season and the playoffs. I hate to say it but what are the odds that someone in the top 3 lines will get hurt? Not that i hope it will happen but come on, it might.

Anyways they need muscle in their line up thats downey. They need secondary scoring thats samuleson. Whos left is kopecky and i think it'll be him. I don't think babcock will sit drake, despite his lack of scoring, he has expeirence. . Aside from that like i said above the chances are they aren't going to have to healthy scratch anyone, and will just rotate people due to injures.

Edited by tommingthepuck96

Man you are so ignorant to what this team is about

Im sorry. But the majority of people on here seem to agree with me. So are we all ignorant?

Or are you just confusing your own opinion with fact?

Hudler stopped scoring with those decent linemates, which is why he was eventually demoted to the 4th line. It's not like he woke up one day to find out that for no reason he was on the 4th line.

Hudler was scoring at nearly a point per game over a short span when his ice time was suddenly slashed in mid-January. His slump did not cause him to lose his spot on the second line; his slump came after that.

Wow!?!

Yes it is your opinion and you seem to be observant to the details of each game, BUT how can you base what drake does on stats? or Even Downey for that matter.

here are some good questions:

I am pretty sure he is a leader to all his teamates, he wants nothing more than to give another cup to Detroit faithful.

Downey is great, I love him on Detroit, but why not replace Hudler? instead of Drake. Hudler has no heart, he is small, and people wonder why Babs has him on 4th line. Anyway I don't see Drake sitting, no way.

First, I would like to state that I am not basing my opinion on stats, I am using the stats to support my opinion.

Now to answer your questions.

I am not worried about points, but I want him to do SOMETHING. I barely ever hear his name when he's on the ice. He has hardly any penalty minutes. He's starting to show more energy lately, but a for a long time he had no energy. The other team didn't even care when he was on the ice. I think the reason he is picking his game up is because Downey is coming in and stealing his lunch and he knows it.

If Downey was the one who got to choose whether or not he was on the PK, then this would be a legitimate argument. However, who knows why Babs does the things he does, so you can't blame Downey for that. And you can't say that it's because of something he did or didn't do, Sammy is still in the lineup and so is Hudler. Babs makes the choices he makes and the players abide by them.

It could be said that he should be all three. But let's break it up.

Pointmaker: He only has three more points than Downey. Big deal.

Playmaker: Playmakers get assists, that's the point, they generate a play that turns into a goal. Downey and Drake are tied in this area for 2 assists. Could be better on both parts, but as it stands we're just comparing the two of them. Downey on the other hand however, not only generates plays, but he is good at breaking up the oppositions plays as well. They can't play when they are watching over their shoulders for him all the time.

Leader: A leader brings energy. A leader makes people talk. So far all I am hearing announcers talk about is Downey. Go back and watch the Blues game, Ken and Mickey couldn't shut up about how the Blues were constantly looking over their shoulders for Downey whenever he was on the ice. Downey has been getting a lot of attention off the ice as well, in interviews and the pregame show. I'm sorry, maybe I have been missing it, but I haven't been hearing all that much about Drake for some time. If you know of something please share it, I must have missed it. I've been listening for him (I honestly have), and have been looking for him on the ice, and a lot of the time I miss him. But, I swear, whenever Downey hits the ice he's like a crazed little badger who has been let loose on the dinner table. He's going after the puck like it was his chew toy. There have been times that Drake was playing and I didn't even realize it until the second period when he made a good play. And it's not because I don't like him or ignore him, because I have been watching for him, trying to see the great stuff people keep talking about. I just haven't been seeing it. You see your leaders. They stand out. You can't miss them.

I've never really heard the team talk about him as a leader, I've never heard them talk about Downey as one either, but I don't think either of them are here to be a leader. The team talks about the leaders as leaders. Our leaders are Lids, Draper, Chelios, Zetter, Pavs, etc... We have enough leaders, we don't need either of them to be a leader, just generate energy on the ice.

As for the Cup statement, I'm pretty sure that Downey want's to bring the Cup to Detroit as well, I'm pretty sure they all do.

I'll keep listening for Drake and watching for him. I honestly want good things for him, and he has stepped his game up lately. I'm just saying that he better watch his lunch, because there's a hungry badger running down the table right at it.

I think all of this debating between Drake and Downey is quite hilarious. I like Downey - heck, I like Drake too. The only guy I really don't like is Sammy (with Lilja and sometimes Hudler following quite closely). But, to get back to McCarty, which one will sit? Come on - Drake is not going to sit at this point. The reason Downey doesn't play on the PK is because he really can't skate. Energy, heart, etc. are great - they really are! But, when there are only four men against five, each of the four needs to be able to skate. I've seen Downey all year on TV and at the Joe - I love the guy to death but he is really one of the weakest skaters on the ice. When McCarty (if at this point with the rib injury) comes to the lineup, Downey will sit to give McCarty a try. Until McCarty's current skill level is assessed it just makes sense to sit Downey. I love the Wings and have since the late eighties when I was playing youth hockey but come on guys - let's be rational about some things here!

If Im not mistaken, Hudler was benched in the playoffs last year. I wouldn't be surprised to see any of Hudler, Samuelsson, Kopecky, Downey, Drake, or McCarty sit even if its just for a game. Babs gets cutthroat in the playoffs and if someone (whos not key player) isnt playing up to par, and youve got energy guys like Drake, Mac, and Downey waiitng in the wings, youd better be on your toes.

Im sorry. But the majority of people on here seem to agree with me. So are we all ignorant?

Or are you just confusing your own opinion with fact?

Many people on here are too emotional to the present time rather than what this is trying to be accomplished. It seems a lot of people on here want every player to score goals. That isn't realistic at all. How many points do you expect from Drake? Maltby? Drapes? You aren't on their backs because they are Red Wings fans fav players. Drake brings as much as Maltby.

Guest YzermanForever19
Many people on here are too emotional to the present time rather than what this is trying to be accomplished. It seems a lot of people on here want every player to score goals. That isn't realistic at all. How many points do you expect from Drake? Maltby? Drapes? You aren't on their backs because they are Red Wings fans fav players. Drake brings as much as Maltby.

Ummm...actually no he doesn't. Neither of them are scorers, so we can throw that right out. They both play a physical game, so that's a wash. The x-factor is the fact that Maltby is younger, faster and a far better penalty killer. So no, Drake does not bring as much as Maltby.

That is true, Downey is a pretty weak skater. Drake definitely beats him hands down in that area.

I agree with the skating. But Drake just skates it in behind the net or dumps it to the corner, loses the puck and races back to the neutral zone. Downey isn't exactly a play maker either, but at least he drives to the net when he doesn't have the puck trying to make stuff happen.

I liked Drake quite a bit at the begining of the season. He was always smiling ear to ear just happy to be playing hockey for the wings. Doesn't matter if he was getting punched in the face, doing some punching of his own, or playing a physical game.

Then his jaw broke and he hasn't been the same ever since. To me, he seems like he's out there just rest his forwards and probably counts the seconds until his shift ends.

Why do you guys think Mac won't be secondary scoring? Sure he's not going to make the ice surfaced covered in hats, but the dude can score goals.

He scored a pretty one to win a cup once. Sure he's not going to be playing at that level just yet, but why don't you boys watch him play his first game before you decide how he's going to play his game.

McCarty said in an interview during sunday's game that the wing's organization priorities are to win games and win cups and he's just there to help out with that. So I think he's going to rack up a few points respectable to his time on the ice. I don't think he's going to roll around smashing people's face in. I think he'll play a Franzen type physical game. Use his strength, but smart and controlled.

But I'll reserve judgement until I see his first shift and how fired up Babcock is when he puts him in. If Babcock is on his 5th piece of gum in the first period when Mac hits the ice, we'll know he's there to put the fear into someone.