• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
C-Dub

Ovechkin's 60

Rate this topic

Caps are playing Thrashers tonight. Ovechkin will hit his 60th goal tonight.

In any case, pending inhuries he should have no issues making another 2 in 7 games. That would make him the 19th player in NHL history to reach 60 goals in a season.

Thoughts? :)

not unless the caps make the playoffs. otherwise give him the rocket richard and call it good

What if it was 100 goals and they don't make the post? Would you give it to him then?

He's the reason they are in a playoff hunt. The MVP doesn't need to be in the post, it just happens to work out that way... until now.

just because you score 100 goals doesnt make you the most valuable player. goals does not equal MVP... goalies have won it, D-men have won it. Give it to someone who leads their team to success. Nick is a perfect candidate. when he went down, our team went down too. now that he is back, we have won the majority of the games.

He's the reason they are in a playoff hunt. The MVP doesn't need to be in the post, it just happens to work out that way... until now.

Second that. The Hart is for the MVP of the regular season. The Conn Smythe is for the MVP of Playoffs/Finals. Ovechkin clearly is the reason the Caps are to be taken somewhat seriously this year.

just because you score 100 goals doesnt make you the most valuable player. goals does not equal MVP... goalies have won it, D-men have won it. Give it to someone who leads their team to success. Nick is a perfect candidate. when he went down, our team went down too. now that he is back, we have won the majority of the games.

I second this. The MVP argument goes the same in every single sport. Should the MVP of the league by on a team that does not go to the playoffs, and i honestly feel no, you have to be on a team that makes it to the playoffs, how valuable can you be if you don't lead your team to the playoffs. Now I know that the NHL is different from all the other sports where One player can't "do it all", unless you're a phenom goalie, where you still need some offense to score and win games. But I digress, I think the Hart should go to the One player that made the MOST difference on a team and the team is noticeabley different without that player. Now whether that is Nicky or not, I am not going to say, but fingers crossed =).

I second this. The MVP argument goes the same in every single sport. Should the MVP of the league by on a team that does not go to the playoffs, and i honestly feel no, you have to be on a team that makes it to the playoffs, how valuable can you be if you don't lead your team to the playoffs. Now I know that the NHL is different from all the other sports where One player can't "do it all", unless you're a phenom goalie, where you still need some offense to score and win games. But I digress, I think the Hart should go to the One player that made the MOST difference on a team and the team is noticeabley different without that player. Now whether that is Nicky or not, I am not going to say, but fingers crossed =).

Where would the Caps be without Ovechkin? Dead last in the league, no doubt in my mind.

Probably that arguement is that being 9th place when the reg. season is over isn't any different than being 15th. Frankly if I ended the season at 9, then I'd rather finish the season at 30 (overall) for #1 draft place. If he gets the team in the playoffs then obviously it's him 100%, but anything less then no.

come on now, ovechkin wins the hart for sure playoffs or not. i'm tired of the two having to go together. 27% of his teams goals, i think malkin is 16% of the pens goals. without ovechkin, the caps are in last place in the league especially with the injuries to nylander and clark. if he doesn't win the hart, the art ross, rocket richard, and pearson awards, i'd be shocked.

lidstrom will get the norris, not even top 3 for mvp sorry.

come on now, ovechkin wins the hart for sure playoffs or not. i'm tired of the two having to go together. 27% of his teams goals, i think malkin is 16% of the pens goals. without ovechkin, the caps are in last place in the league especially with the injuries to nylander and clark. if he doesn't win the hart, the art ross, rocket richard, and pearson awards, i'd be shocked.

lidstrom will get the norris, not even top 3 for mvp sorry.

Agreed. At one point in the 05/06 season, Ovechkin came into consideration for Hart, completely out of playoff contention.

Agreed. At one point in the 05/06 season, Ovechkin came into consideration for Hart, completely out of playoff contention.

Yeah, but as I posted earlier, what would be the precedent for a player winning the Hart trophy without making the playoffs? It's just not something that ever happens in any sport.

Yeah, but as I posted earlier, what would be the precedent for a player winning the Hart trophy without making the playoffs? It's just not something that ever happens in any sport.

it would be called "the type of season ovechkin is having". it should happen more often. it's the regular season most valuable player. not one players has been better than ovechkin this year, if they miss the playoffs, it will be by only a point or two, and he's the reason they are that close. it just wouldn't be right if he didn't win it. last time someone won without going to the playoffs was lemieux wasn't it?? don't quote me on that, could be wrong.

it would be called "the type of season ovechkin is having". it should happen more often. it's the regular season most valuable player. not one players has been better than ovechkin this year, if they miss the playoffs, it will be by only a point or two, and he's the reason they are that close. it just wouldn't be right if he didn't win it. last time someone won without going to the playoffs was lemieux wasn't it?? don't quote me on that, could be wrong.

I don't think it was Lemieux, and even if it was, Ovechkin isn't having anywhere near the type of season than what Lemieux put up in his MVP years.

I don't think it was Lemieux, and even if it was, Ovechkin isn't having anywhere near the type of season than what Lemieux put up in his MVP years.

and how many 60+ goal scorers have we had over the past say 10-15 seasons?? 50 goals and 100 pts are considered amazing seasons in todays game, over that and we're talking automatic hart mention. the fact that ovechkin is scoring 60+ goals against todays goalies and defenses is nothing short of incredible. next closest is kovalchuk who is another pure goalscoring talent with 49 i think. we will probably have only 3, 50 goal scorers so for ovie to get over 60 and lead the league in pts and his team either into the playoffs or damn near close at the end is special. we are witnessing a one of a kind player.

So tell me, exactly what do you think would happen to the Caps if Ovie went down? And what would happen when he returned?

Our team was already down when Lidstrom got injured. We had already lost 6 straight. The Wings were already in a bad slump, and his injury just made it deeper. And when he came back, so did 3 other top-4 defensemen.

Guest CaliWingsNut

well he just got #60

Edit: 3-2 Atl 7:30 3rd

Edited by CaliWingsNut