• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DenJ91

NHL's disappointing players

Rate this topic

i was watching a probert fight when he was on the blackhawks and saw Daze skating around in the background and made me wonder what happened to him and started thinking about players that have been a disappointment whether it be due to lack of talent, overhype, injury or just never becoming what they were supposed to be. it's a shame really. i'll probably be able to think of others later but off the top of my head:

eric daze - (i guess he's done due to too many injuries? had so much talent, size)

brett lindros - (alot of hype was on him, he barely made it through his first year)

keith & brent gretzky - (well how can you be the brother of wayne and be successful)

fedor fedorov - (apparently has the skills and size, but lacks the intensity and work ethic, teams got tired of him underperforming and might never get to consistently play in the nhl)

alexander daigle - (was supposed to be the next gretzky, he never produced, although having somewhat ok seasons when the wild gave him a chance)

jim carrey - (came outta nowhere to win the vezina, although i think osgood got robbed that year, and literally fell off the face of the earth)

can you guys think of more?

Edited by DenJ91

Boyd The Void - compared to Yzerman is what i was hearing .. that injury early costed him i think..

since when?

he was never going to be anything but a 3rd/4th liner on any team

i gotta say, given how much Sidney Crosby was hyped, i've been dissapointed in him

also..just look at any Leafs #1 pick in the last 20 years.....pretty much all have been busts

since when?

i gotta say, given how much Sidney Crosby was hyped, i've been dissapointed in him

also..just look at any Leafs #1 pick in the last 20 years.....pretty much all have been busts

WOW, your dissapointed in crosby? he's easily averaging over a point per game as a teenager, won the mvp his 2nd year, if he wasn't hurt this year he'd be in the running for mvp again and probably would have led the league in pts and the penquins in 1st place in the east. he might play tonight and the penguins have a good chance at winning the cup this year. i'd say he's been nothing short of amazing and just about everything he's been hyped to be and he's not in his prime yet.

and to the guy who said petr klima. ok so he had a downward 2nd half of his career but he had injuries and such, but for a while the guy was scoring 30 and 40 goals even one year. he finished with over 300 goals and close to 600 pts. i'd say that's pretty successful. i don't think klima was ever hyped enough to be called a disappointment.

Edited by DenJ91

WOW, your dissapointed in crosby? he's easily averaging over a point per game as a teenager, won the mvp his 2nd year, if he wasn't hurt this year he'd be in the running for mvp again and probably would have led the league in pts and the penquins in 1st place in the east. he might play tonight and the penguins have a good chance at winning the cup this year. i'd say he's been nothing short of amazing and just about everything he's been hyped to be and he's not in his prime yet.

I think if anything, the injury to Crosby shows that he isn't a true MVP candidate.

And I would agree, with the amount of hype Crosby had gotten, he is a disappointment.

Crosby got all this hype and managed to win Hart, Art Ross, and Pearson as a 19 year old. Is it any wonder he got all this hype though? I mean, did you see his stats in junior?

i was watching a probert fight when he was on the blackhawks and saw Daze skating around in the background and made me wonder what happened to him and started thinking about players that have been a disappointment whether it be due to lack of talent, overhype, injury or just never becoming what they were supposed to be. it's a shame really. i'll probably be able to think of others later but off the top of my head:

eric daze - (i guess he's done due to too many injuries? had so much talent, size)

brett lindros - (alot of hype was on him, he barely made it through his first year)

keith gretzky - (well how can you be the brother of wayne and be successful)

fedor fedorov - (apparently has the skills and size, but lacks the intensity and work ethic, teams got tired of him underperforming and might never get to consistently play in the nhl)

alexander daigle - (was supposed to be the next gretzky, he never produced, although having somewhat ok seasons when the wild gave him a chance)

jim carrey - (came outta nowhere to win the vezina, although i think osgood got robbed that year, and literally fell off the face of the earth)

can you guys think of more?

On your list, Daigle was a disappointment for sure, but I'm not sure I'd classify the others as such. Three of those players were only drafted because of their last names, especially Lindros. I think Daze has been a little disappointing based on what everyone thought he could achieve after his first handful of years in the NHL, but to be honest, I don't remember anyone expecting much of him coming out of junior.

Pat Falloon is a name that comes to mind. Also, I remember hearing about Samsonov a couple years before he was eligible to be drafted, he was hyped up pretty good. He had some decent years, but nowhere near what I was expecting.

I think if anything, the injury to Crosby shows that he isn't a true MVP candidate.

And I would agree, with the amount of hype Crosby had gotten, he is a disappointment.

haha, pat falloon, that's a name i haven't heard in a while, good one! and stefan and chistov, all of the ones you listed are good, except i think viktor kozlov isn't all that dissapointing. he's been solid at times and is a good 2nd liner. i'm leaving players like that out that have had success and play good for the most part.

but the crosby thing i don't get. you guys really think he's a disappointment or is it cause you don't like him? and i'm not sure how his injury shows he isn't a true mvp candidate, i'm missing your point there sorry. i don't know what more sidney could be doing really. if he didn't get hurt this year, we wouldn't be talking about malkin as much and just cause malkin is playing great doesn't mean sidney is any less than he was before the injury.

i left off samsonov on purpose actually. he started out great, won the rookie of the year, had a few great seasons and was very exciting and a threat at all times, then the past couple seasons he just went downhill so quickly and his confidence was shattered. i left him out cause he's playing well now and looks like he's found a good fit in carolina and i'm not convinced sergei is done yet.

oh and keep in mind, i was saying that they could be considered disapponting on many factors, not just the "hype" factor like some are pushing to the front now like Daze. i agree i don't think he was a hyped player pre draft, but had a few good seasons and thus became hyped.

Edited by DenJ91

i was about to hop on the "if you think crosby was overhyped you are out of your mind" band wagon myself.

no one has a better PPG avergae than crosby since he entered the NHL (Ovechkin is second with 1.29 and crosby is at 1.38). he is easily the most dynamic TWO WAY player in the game (i'd say zetts is a close second in this category). If you think he hasn't been the best player overall the last 3 seasons, i dont know what to tell you.

so unless your expectations were that he would score 160 points a year and win 3 stanley cups with a less than stellar supporting staff, i'd say he's lived up to the hype. as has ovechkin. they're both great. they are the two best players in the game.

i'm interested as to what the people think the expectations were of sid that they have been let down by his performance.

ps: sidney doesn't turn 21 til august. the kid still has 20 years in his barring injury.

haha, pat falloon, that's a name i haven't heard in a while, good one! and stefan and chistov, all of the ones you listed are good, except i think viktor kozlov isn't all that dissapointing. he's been solid at times and is a good 2nd liner. i'm leaving players like that out that have had success and play good for the most part.

but the crosby thing i don't get. you guys really think he's a disappointment or is it cause you don't like him? and i'm not sure how his injury shows he isn't a true mvp candidate, i'm missing your point there sorry. i don't know what more sidney could be doing really. if he didn't get hurt this year, we wouldn't be talking about malkin as much and just cause malkin is playing great doesn't mean sidney is any less than he was before the injury.

The reason I threw Kozlov in there is that he was drafted pretty high, and has never really filled out to much more than a third liner.

With Crosby, he was hyped as the best player ever. He has produced, but I think Ovechkin has been more impressive. Crosby has had a very solid supporting cast, yet can't get his team out of the first round of the playoffs. To me, what Ovechkin has done with the cast he has been given, is much more impressive.

Take Ovechkin away from the Caps, and you have a team that is in the lottery for Stamkos. Take Crosby away from the Pens, and they don't really miss a step.

That is why I think he isn't a real MVP candidate. IMO, a true MVP must be vital to his teams success. Crosby's injury has proven that the Pens success isn't hinged on Crosby being in the lineup.

And you are right, we wouldn't be talking about Malin if Crosby hadn't gone down. But Crosby did go down.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Please, oh please elaborate. I just have to hear the wisdom behind this statement.

Considering the hype, WTF more should he have accomplished thus far. I mean, other than winning all the major awards before he was age 20 and breaking a number of Wayne Gretzky's and other NHL records, what exactly makes him a dissapointment?

Was he supposed to score 93 goals and 250 points in one season or something?

And what the hell does your comment about him being injured mean he isn't a true MVP. Does anybody else not understand what the hell that comment means?

Guest GordieSid&Ted
since when?

Please elaborate. I'd like to know what makes him a dissapointment. Be specific.

You know who actually has been a disappointment until like last season? Vincent Lecavalier.

His draft year, he was hyped just as much as Sidney Crosby. Expected to be another Lemieux in terms of his size and style of play, and was expected to tally about as much points as Mario too. His first 7 seasons were a fair disappointment, he couldn't even reach 80 points. Now he's one of the league's best, but it took longer than anyone could expect.

Please, oh please elaborate. I just have to hear the wisdom behind this statement.

Considering the hype, WTF more should he have accomplished thus far. I mean, other than winning all the major awards before he was age 20 and breaking a number of Wayne Gretzky's and other NHL records, what exactly makes him a dissapointment?

Was he supposed to score 93 goals and 250 points in one season or something?

And what the hell does your comment about him being injured mean he isn't a true MVP. Does anybody else not understand what the hell that comment means?

See above.

just FYI.

if crosby stays on the pace he's at now (1.38 PPG) and plays 1,350 games in his career (130 less than gretzky and 400 less than Howe) HE WOULD STILL FINISH 2nd ALL TIME IN POINTS.

i just don't understand the dissapointment.

UNLESS, you actually believed those that said "HE IS THE NEXT GREAT ONE. HE WILL BE THE BEST EVER". if you bought that than i guess i can sort of see where you are coming from. BUT. you have to understand that NO ONE, NO ONE will EVER be as good as wayne. love him or hate him, i can honestly say that i dont think anyone will ever touch his records. at least not for 100 years. maybe its the way the game is played. maybe its goaltending, maybe its rule changes. whatever it is, wayne is the best there ever will be. he is so friggin far ahead its not even worth considering IMO. so taking that into account, crosby is damn good and has at shot at 2nd all time.

The reason I threw Kozlov in there is that he was drafted pretty high, and has never really filled out to much more than a third liner.

With Crosby, he was hyped as the best player ever. He has produced, but I think Ovechkin has been more impressive. Crosby has had a very solid supporting cast, yet can't get his team out of the first round of the playoffs. To me, what Ovechkin has done with the cast he has been given, is much more impressive.

Take Ovechkin away from the Caps, and you have a team that is in the lottery for Stamkos. Take Crosby away from the Pens, and they don't really miss a step.

That is why I think he isn't a real MVP candidate. IMO, a true MVP must be vital to his teams success. Crosby's injury has proven that the Pens success isn't hinged on Crosby being in the lineup.

And you are right, we wouldn't be talking about Malin if Crosby hadn't gone down. But Crosby did go down.

i'm sorry bro, but i can't agree with your crosby logic here, i just can't. first off it's more than just malkin stepping up to the plate, others have been key like malone and conklin and sykora, gonchar etc, but if a team plays hard enough through adversity they can still win. when a player like crosby goes down they could have easily said "wow we're done" but they didn't, if they had we would know just how important crosby is. the fact is, crosby is the best overall player in the league, his injury shouldn't change that.

remember in the early/mid 90's when yzerman went down with alot of injuries especially 93-94 when our boy fedorov took over and won mvp and had 56 goals. it's a similar sitution, your practically calling our legendary yzerman a disappointment cause he had injuries and therefore isn't a true mvp type player.

plus i really don't think it's right how the capitals as a team get bashed so much. they have alot of depth now. obviously ovechkin carries them but there are some really good players on that team who hold their own. who knows how the caps would do without ovie, maybe semin would step up and score 50 goals and be the malkin to the pens crosby situation. we'll never know.

You know who actually has been a disappointment until like last season? Vincent Lecavalier.

His draft year, he was hyped just as much as Sidney Crosby. Expected to be another Lemieux in terms of his size and style of play, and was expected to tally about as much points as Mario too. His first 7 seasons were a fair disappointment, he couldn't even reach 80 points. Now he's one of the league's best, but it took longer than anyone could expect.

I almost put him on my list. I agree until last season, he was a disappointment.

Guest GordieSid&Ted
See above.

I still don't understand? What does Vincent Lecavalier have to do with Sidney Crosby? Crosby has dominated where Lecavalier didn't for a long time.

I'll ask it again, what specifically makes him a dissapointment? Is it that he hasn't put up Mario like numbers?

If that's the case can you show me any player in the NHL that has put up Mario like numbers since the invention of the trap system, improved defensive schemes and basically the dead puck era of the past 15 years?

Nobody is going to put those numbers up again, ever. Somebody may get to 150 put nobody is going to approach the 175+ number ever again. The players are too big, the defenses too good, the goalies too amazing and the rinks still the same size. You can't put up those numbers anymore.

If you want proof, watch video of the Oilers dynasty. All you have to do is watch Paul Coffey, a defensman, score 48 goals in one season and then look at the goals he scored. Goalies had no idea what the butterfly was and they just stood there like pylons with pucks swishing past their feet all day where games ended 9-5.

Please elaborate on why Crosby is a dissapointment.

just FYI.

if crosby stays on the pace he's at now (1.38 PPG) and plays 1,350 games in his career (130 less than gretzky and 400 less than Howe) HE WOULD STILL FINISH 2nd ALL TIME IN POINTS.

i just don't understand the dissapointment.

UNLESS, you actually believed those that said "HE IS THE NEXT GREAT ONE. HE WILL BE THE BEST EVER". if you bought that than i guess i can sort of see where you are coming from. BUT. you have to understand that NO ONE, NO ONE will EVER be as good as wayne. love him or hate him, i can honestly say that i dont think anyone will ever touch his records. at least not for 100 years. maybe its the way the game is played. maybe its goaltending, maybe its rule changes. whatever it is, wayne is the best there ever will be. he is so friggin far ahead its not even worth considering IMO. so taking that into account, crosby is damn good and has at shot at 2nd all time.

another thing to consider as i agree with what your saying, is that we shouldn't compare today's players to gretzky. it was a different game then, be it goalies, scoring averages for a game, etc etc. we will never see another 200 pt season, we'll be lucky if a player gets 150. i don't think it's fair to hype someone up as the next gretzky anymore and expect numbers like that, because the game is so different. i think we should hold different standards at around 100pt seasons, which crosby has done 2 seasons now and would easily have done it again this year had he not gotten hurt. and i don't think it's fair to wonder if ovechkin will ever hit 92 goals, it's ridiculous in today's game. i mean we haven't had a 60 goal scorer in 12/13 years, so why would someone get 92 ya know?

I still don't understand? What does Vincent Lecavalier have to do with Sidney Crosby? Crosby has dominated where Lecavalier didn't for a long time.

I'll ask it again, what specifically makes him a dissapointment? Is it that he hasn't put up Mario like numbers?

If that's the case can you show me any player in the NHL that has put up Mario like numbers since the invention of the trap system, improved defensive schemes and basically the dead puck era of the past 15 years?

Nobody is going to put those numbers up again, ever. Somebody may get to 150 put nobody is going to approach the 175+ number ever again. The players are too big, the defenses too good, the goalies too amazing and the rinks still the same size. You can't put up those numbers anymore.

If you want proof, watch video of the Oilers dynasty. All you have to do is watch Paul Coffey, a defensman, score 48 goals in one season and then look at the goals he scored. Goalies had no idea what the butterfly was and they just stood there like pylons with pucks swishing past their feet all day where games ended 9-5.

Please elaborate on why Crosby is a dissapointment.

wow!! is this really happening! you and i are in complete agreement on an issue!?? haha. and we were actually thinking the same #'s too, like 150 pts and came up with similar responses. i was in the middle of typing when you finished. crazy. wonder if this will ever happen again. lol

Edited by DenJ91

Grigs

Cleary

Stefan

Chistov

Blackburn

Bonk

Gratton

Viktor Kozlov

Falloon

And basically anyone Toronto has drafted in the last 20 years.

What did ever happen to Blackburn? He was being touted as the next Mike Dunham for a while there and now where is he?