• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MacK_Attack

Latest Brunnstrom news

Rate this topic

The reason the Wings, before Nonis was fired, were told they were out of the running was that Brunnstrom was PROMISED top line minutes with the Sudin Twins. You can not fault a young guy like that to pursue that avenue. Now that Nonis has been fired Brunnstrom will not sign there, as the deal was contingent on Nonis staying incharge. Holland has been told that Brunnstrom is reconsidering, an it has been well known that the Wings are his favorite team and he prefers the puck possession style the team plays. Like someone said earlier, almost every high sought after player is at one time rumored to goto Toronto.

I don't think that Brunnstrom is afraid of fighting for a job, but as we all know here in Detroit, a Promised job is better than the unknown.

I think the biggest problem for Det is going to be to find a way to find this guy promised minutes.

Who's place does he take?

He is no more proven than Abdelkader, Helm, Kopecky, those guys will be fighting for Drake and Sammy's minutes, Huds, Mule, Cleary, and Flip (IMO) have all earned their minutes, I just don't know how the Wings can promise him minutes.

I think the biggest problem for Det is going to be to find a way to find this guy promised minutes.

Who's place does he take?

He is no more proven than Abdelkader, Helm, Kopecky, those guys will be fighting for Drake and Sammy's minutes, Huds, Mule, Cleary, and Flip (IMO) have all earned their minutes, I just don't know how the Wings can promise him minutes.

The Wings have never promised him minutes. Both Drake & Downey will be FA this summer, and unless if Sammy does something this post season he could be dealt this summer. He doesn't use his size to check, and he just does not shoot the punk, and when he does it usually gets blocked. So there are atleast 2 spots, possibly 3 that Brunnstrom could fit in. Also Holland has promised that Brunnstrom would stay on the Pro roster for atleast the 1st month of the season. It will be interesting to see what occurs the next few weeks.

Probably another Grigorenko type anyway. All this "best outside of the NHL player" doesn't mean that much. Remember that czech guy that signed with the Flyers and scored 4 goals or something, but then ended up warming the bench anyway? I don't believe the hype.

Edited by kozac

He'd be good to have, but if he's going to be a dick about ice time then he might be a bit of a downer.

Apparently the youngster doesn't know about earning his keep in the NHL.

I'll play devil's advocate and say that I don't blame the kid all that much.

Playing in the NHL is a special thing with most players only having a short lifespan in the league. He might be looking at it as, "I'm already 23, I want to get as much ice time as possible so I can be the best I can right away".

Money's not an issue as I'm almost positive he could make more in the RSL.

The kid simply wants to play and play a major role.

That being said, I'm not sure why Holland couldn't promise him top 6 time. I'm not going to cry if Filpulla or Sammy have to be on the 3rd line.

Franzen-Dats-Brunnstrom

Filpulla-Zetts-Homer

or

Dats-Zetts-Homer

Franzen-Filpulla-Brunnstrom

The Wings have never promised him minutes. Both Drake & Downey will be FA this summer, and unless if Sammy does something this post season he could be dealt this summer. He doesn't use his size to check, and he just does not shoot the punk, and when he does it usually gets blocked. So there are atleast 2 spots, possibly 3 that Brunnstrom could fit in. Also Holland has promised that Brunnstrom would stay on the Pro roster for atleast the 1st month of the season. It will be interesting to see what occurs the next few weeks.

Oh I am not saying the wings promised him anything, I have no knowledge of that fact.

My point is that he appears to be looking for promised minutes.

And yes Drake's minutes will be fought for by Helm, Abdelkader, Kopecky, Hartigan (on the outside looking in) and possibly Brunnstrom. But I think Downey's minutes were just earned by one Darren McCarty.

I agree Sammy's (rather Mule's as he is the heir apparent to that second line) Minutes will be up for grabs but again you are looking at 4 maybe 5 guys looking for minutes from 2 guys.

If he wants promised minutes I don't see how Det can offer them as a bargaining chip, but they have the success chip, but not sure that will lure him.

Whatever his faults not shooting the puck is not one of them. He shot the puck 249 times in 73 games. That is behind only Zetterberg (358 shots in 75 games) and Datsyuk (264 shots in 82 games) both of whom have much more time on the ice per game. The man does shoot the puck. :P

...any team can promise you more minutes if you play for them. Would it hurt to, since he stinking up the joint anyhow, get rid of Sammy and put Brunnstrom on the second line for a spell? If he works out then, good, if not then, down you go...

...Although, with the emergance on Franzen as a ligit threat, he deserves the second line spot with Fillpula and Hudler...

...Brunnstrom would be line 3 at best...

Whatever his faults not shooting the puck is not one of them. He shot the puck 249 times in 73 games. That is behind only Zetterberg (358 shots in 75 games) and Datsyuk (264 shots in 82 games) both of whom have much more time on the ice per game. The man does shoot the puck. :P

I was about to write the same.

the difference between Sammy and Zetterberg is that the later not just shots

but also has quality chances. Sammy simply fires at the net and fails to bring

enough stamina and/or desire to put more effort into the game. skill-wise

he might not be the worst guy out there but he simply looks uninvolved way

too often

id rather have *its hard to type this* sammy and huds than this guy if he doesnt want to work for a spot like they did

His attitude reminds me of Igor Grigorenko who I'm glad he when back to Russia . You don't demand playing time in the NHL.This is not college basketball!!!

...any team can promise you more minutes if you play for them. Would it hurt to, since he stinking up the joint anyhow, get rid of Sammy and put Brunnstrom on the second line for a spell? If he works out then, good, if not then, down you go...

...Although, with the emergance on Franzen as a ligit threat, he deserves the second line spot with Fillpula and Hudler...

...Brunnstrom would be line 3 at best...

What you seem to be missing in all of this is that he won't go down, he is pulling a Grigs. I shouldn't say that, all signs point to the fact that he will play NHL or go back to Sweden.

Sammy, IMO, is gone next season, the emergence of Helm and Abdelkader as legit NHL capable players (not legit scoring threats or offensive power houses, but they can play in the league) Mule's emergence as a 2nd line guy has deservedly taken over Sammy's 2nd unit spot WITHOUT A DOUBT!!!!

Then you have Hartigan and Kopecky who along with Abdelkader and Helm will be fighting for Drakes minutes, Downey's minutes will be split amongst those three as well as Mac (who will probably get the lions share).

Other teams are offering him the chance at line 1 or 2 minutes, whether we like the idea or not (I don't) that has become a bargaining chip.

I say promise him the spot on the team and then deal with it later if he sucks. We're not exactly loaded with prospects,especially offensive ones. This is a chance to get a good young player without giving anything up.

What you seem to be missing in all of this is that he won't go down, he is pulling a Grigs. I shouldn't say that, all signs point to the fact that he will play NHL or go back to Sweden.

Sammy, IMO, is gone next season, the emergence of Helm and Abdelkader as legit NHL capable players (not legit scoring threats or offensive power houses, but they can play in the league) Mule's emergence as a 2nd line guy has deservedly taken over Sammy's 2nd unit spot WITHOUT A DOUBT!!!!

Then you have Hartigan and Kopecky who along with Abdelkader and Helm will be fighting for Drakes minutes, Downey's minutes will be split amongst those three as well as Mac (who will probably get the lions share).

Other teams are offering him the chance at line 1 or 2 minutes, whether we like the idea or not (I don't) that has become a bargaining chip.

I think you're missing the sole fact that skill wise this Brunnstrom kid is supposed

to be ahead of everything Wings have past their 1st line. period.

the point here is whether it is worth taking the risk of taking a guy who's not been

developed for Wings system. which would mean: can we risk bringing a guy who

did not learn Wings team-first approach and who could potentially disturb the

chemistry between the players? is it worth it? if Brunnstrom is that good and Wings

fare well this playoffs I'd most certainly consider this option. good playmakers

with complete skill-set don't exactly grow on trees and Wings team that always

draft around 25th spot have basically no chance of fishing one. if Brunnstrom is

available and has brainset that doesn't say "me| and "now" he's definitely

worth taking.

the other point here is, however, whether Wings stand a chance of landing him.

there's a number of GM's in this league who'd love to fetch this kid and they'll

promise him islands on Pacific Ocean, free topless hostesses for rewinding his

video tapes and hectolitres of champagne :)

might not be up to Kenny to decide on this, right ;)

Edited by akustyk

The only way Sammy is gone next season is via trade. He's contracted through the 08/09 season.

The only way Sammy is gone next season is via trade. He's contracted through the 08/09 season.

there's always buyout option. he's making $1.2M so the buyout would be,

if I'm correct $0.6M. I'd rather keep him for those $0.6M and rotate him

with Abdelkader(sp) or Hartigan/Helm but if we get desperate about

roster spot this is an option

I think you're missing the sole fact that skill wise this Brunnstrom kid is supposed

to be ahead of everything Wings have past their 1st line. period.

the point here is whether it is worth taking the risk of taking a guy who's not been

developed for Wings system. which would mean: can we risk bringing a guy who

did not learn Wings team-first approach and who could potentially disturb the

chemistry between the players? is it worth it? if Brunnstrom is that good and Wings

fare well this playoffs I'd most certainly consider this option. good playmakers

with complete skill-set don't exactly grow on trees and Wings team that always

draft around 25th spot have basically no chance of fishing one. if Brunnstrom is

available and has brainset that doesn't say "me| and "now" he's definitely

worth taking.

the other point here is, however, whether Wings stand a chance of landing him.

there's a number of GM's in this league who'd love to fetch this kid and they'll

promise him islands on Pacific Ocean, free topless hostesses for rewinding his

video tapes and hectolitres of champagne :)

might not be up to Kenny to decide on this, right ;)

Oh I understand it working for the wings and that the wings could make it happen.

But it will be hard for them with other teams promising him the moon, from what I heard this kid, as you said, could potentially be the best thing other than DZH, however if he is that good someone will offer him top line minutes like Van did. And seeing as he was willing to bypass Det for promised minutes in VAN, if Tor said you can play on our top line, it makes it tougher for him to say yes to det.

I think Det will handle this the way they did Hossa, make a push for him, but they will have certain boundaries they will not cross, other teams are in bad enough shape where they will cross any boundary.

I think they trade him for a late round pick to a team like EDM, PHO, BUF or NYI(maybe not NYI) a team that needs some form of a scoring presence in their young line up. A guy that can be had cheap and help out more than what they have.

Or he would be packaged with Lebda/Quincey/Meech for a young, grinding, tough guy, centerman that can log a few games as an enforcer, but not be an everyday player, YET.

I don't think they will get much for him, but I think he will be gone next year, especially with an expiring non expensive contract.

I'm pretty sure the buyout option was only for immediately preceding the season after the lockout. It is no longer an option.

Buyouts can still be made during the first couple weeks of June, but they count against the cap. Two-thirds of the remaining value of the contract paid out over twice the length of what was left on the deal.

I think we can all trust the front office to do the right thing with this newbie. That's one of the things I respect most about Detroit - they might not get all the top young prospects, but that's because some orgs are willing to dump everything on the possibility of a new Crosby or Ovechkin. Detroit at least appears to care about their players enough to make the newbies work for their spot - and guess what? It works.

He's 23 - if he has any wisdom inside that clouded brain of his, he'll jump on board the team with a tradition of winning and earn his way to the front lines like all the past greats.

--- and seriously, I don't know why there's so much flaming of Sammy and Hudler... we've seen Hudler make some great shots in this series and as far as Sammy turning over the puck, I swear we're not watching the same games. Turnovers - sure, it happens... but he has some excellent puck-handling skills as well. Every team needs grinders like these two - they do a good job IMO.

--- and seriously, I don't know why there's so much flaming of Sammy and Hudler... we've seen Hudler make some great shots in this series and as far as Sammy turning over the puck, I swear we're not watching the same games. Turnovers - sure, it happens... but he has some excellent puck-handling skills as well. Every team needs grinders like these two - they do a good job IMO.

let's get serious... I'm the last person to jump on Wings scapegoats

and have been defending Lang for long time after he got his

"Lang is lazy and he sucks" label for good reason.

but Sammy just misses motivation and seems uninvolved. he sure does

handle the puck but it's also about giving this puck to other Wings

players at the right time. he does the opposite: to the other team's

players and at the wrong time. he does it in offensive zone so our

D has time to cover up for this but it can't just stay like that. a forward

is supposed to generate something when he has the puck - let the

rest of the team get to position, let the line change, shoot the puck

at goalie and make him freeze it, draw a penalty, ...

Sammy just goes and loses it. that's dumb

I'm OK with Hudler who developed into reliable player who stays

under the radar of other team and does his job. but Sammy needs

to pick up his game. I'm not saying he's worthless but at this moment

he's not generating anything valuable. his roster space seems to be

only justified by the fact that Babs doesn't want to put unexperienced

players who may collapse in defensive zone.

Ken Holland was a guest on the Power Play on XM Home Ice today.

He was asked about still being in the Brunnstrom mix.

He said that they're prepared to make their pitch, Money isn't an issue.

He said he isn't overly optimisitc about him but likes his potential and went on to talk about

giving players the right environment to allow them to develop on thier own.

Another rookie winger for Sundin with high hopes, most of those guys never lived up to the potential.

He certainly would get a lot of attention in Toronto both good and bad!

Im now wondering what he reason was why he didnt get drafted last year when he was eligible whats the hit on him?

In 2006 he played in the second tier of Swedish hockey (not sure what its called) and pretty much sucked. Last year he moved down to the first tier and won the scoring title. The Swedish Elite league team Farnstrumm (sp) picked him up for this season. He finished with 9 goals and 23 assists in 50 some games with about 12 minutes per game ice time. He led the league in points per minute played. Its been speculated he didnt get the big minutes because his Elite league team didnt have him locked up past this season and hoped he would fly under the NHL's radar.

Hes a risk. His play has been erratic but he does have the tools and size necessary to compete for top 6 minutes in the NHL. No way that the Wings guarantee him these minutes. Hollands said he would get the same kind of deal Grigorenko did, on the team through October but after that he has to earn his spot. No mention of what line he would be on here.

Why isn't he competing for a place in Team Sweden for the World Championships?

Forwards: Nils Ekman, Tony Mårtensson, Oscar Sundh, Patric Hörnqvist, Karl Fabricius, Rickard Wallin, Pär Ledin, Johan Andersson, Michael Holmqvist, Linus Videll, Robert Nilsson, Daniel Widing, Mattias Weinhandl.