• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest GordieSid&Ted

Can/Should the Wings Sweep Colorado?

Rate this topic

i would put my money on a 6 game series. We played great last night, created so many chances, yet barely came away with a win. Ozzie let in that super-softy, I'm sure that will happen again. He's always been like that - making insane saves, then letting in a terrible one. We just need to pile on the scoring chances and we'll be in good shape, but the Avs will stay take a couple.

by the way, I can't imagine Forsberg would have had much impact on the game last night. but that's just me, and I hate him.

What is wrong with some of you? The Wings have a great 25 min when the Avs have a terrible 25 min and you start calling for a sweep? Not only is this a jinx, but it's unrealistic. It's as bad as the Avs fans who look at the last half of the game (when the Wings obviously weren't on their game, either) and start calling the Wings weak.

You know nothing about how a series will go after one game. Remember the Wings absolutely blitzing the Flamers in games 1 and 2 last year? No sweep there. Or here.

I do think that if the Wings play their system, keep the puck, and pound their defence, Colorado will have a tough time the way Nashville did in games 5 and 6. But the Avs have a lot of talent, and they're gonna carry the play at times. This isn't going to be an easy series.

What is wrong with some of you? The Wings have a great 25 min when the Avs have a terrible 25 min and you start calling for a sweep? Not only is this a jinx, but it's unrealistic. It's as bad as the Avs fans who look at the last half of the game (when the Wings obviously weren't on their game, either) and start calling the Wings weak.

You know nothing about how a series will go after one game. Remember the Wings absolutely blitzing the Flamers in games 1 and 2 last year? No sweep there. Or here.

I do think that if the Wings play their system, keep the puck, and pound their defence, Colorado will have a tough time the way Nashville did in games 5 and 6. But the Avs have a lot of talent, and they're gonna carry the play at times. This isn't going to be an easy series.

I agree with this assessment, and I'll even take it one step further. The Avalanche obviously have more talent up front than Nashville, but the tenacity just doesn't seem to be there from Colorado. Regardless, Nashville worked hard and cycled the puck well in the Wings zone all series. The Avalanche on the other hand seem to be the type of team that relies on their talent to carry them, thus the hard work in the offensive zone probably won't be as frustrating for the Wings as it was against Nashville.

The key I feel to playing this Colorado team will simply be watching the breakout. They don't have the quality of puck-moving defensemen that the Wings have, but when they can corale a loose puck near their own blue line or get a deflection in front of the defensive zone face-off dots that's where they'll find their breakouts. They'll look for those 3-on-2, or even 3-on-3 with both the Wings defenseman back and rely heavily on the talent of guys like Sakic, Foesberg, Stastny and even Smyth to make a play (just like they did twice in the second period). This is where Kronner and Stuart are gonna have to be careful about picking and choosing their moments when it comes to flattening a guy starting up ice. You may flatten the guy, but a trailer could just as quickly take his spot and then we're stuck with one defenseman out of the play.

Like I said, it seems that the Wings are going to get their goals in this series and that the Wings aren't going to have to deal with a tenacious forecheck and cycling in their defensive zone. This completely favors the Wings as the teams that have the most success against Detroit are the one that forecheck the hell out them and take away passing lanes. If the Wings can play their game, which it sure seemed like Colorado was willing to let them last night, then they should be fine.

GS&T I know you meant no harm, but i blame you for our losses this series....

But on a serious note, if we play with the intensity of the 2nd and 3rd periods, then we won't win another game. I think we got lucky in game one, we hit a couple posts but so did they and JML should have buried that puck with 5 seconds left to send the game into OT.

I think we have more team chemistry and more team skill than they do, so do I think we can/should ***** them, yes; is it likely, no.

That's nothing with luck, just an amazing save.

That's the thing though, it wasn't an "amazing save". It was amazingly important given that there was 8 seconds left and the Wings were clinging to a one goal lead, but that was just Oz being positionally smart and pushing out as fast as he could to take away openings.

That's not a knock on Oz, that's a compliment to his mental and positional game.

As for Konnan511's comment, Liles had practically no chance of burying that shot by the time the puck got to his stick. Oz was so quick to react and push out, and as a result there was nothing for him to shoot at. Where he could've possibly scored is by grabbing the puck and skating around Oz with it. Then again, Raf was right there and probably would've quick jumped in front of the goal.

Edit: Clarity

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

I agree that its too early, but like I said, its ironic that the Avs only got on their game when the Wings decided to lay back. That says to me if the Wings wanted to finish this series off in four games, they could. But the likelihood that they play a full 180 minutes over the next 3 games is unlikely for this team it seems. Which is really sad. With the way this team decides to play sometimes, itd practically be a walk to the finals. Too bad they dont bother holding leads or sticking with their game through three periods. <_<

Excuse the obnoxiousness, but:

SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP

The Wings will win the series, and then all of you can stop worrying about silly superstitions.

I ran out of cats

kitten_die.jpg

Thanks for talking about that-which-shall-not-be-mentioned. I think I've fixed it, but I'm really going to miss my cat.

:hysterical: lmao...good 1.

i mentioned that word once and thought i was going to be crucified...long story short never said it again THE END

I think the Wings speed is too much for the Avs D, they panic with the puck and can't even get out of there own zone.. And to be fair to Theo, he had the flu and probably shouldn't of played imo.. But like someone said, his rebounds are juicy our guys have to drive to the net hard

But seriously, I think this series will be unpredictable. Colorado made a game of it, and it will be close the whole series. Theodore was sick, so who knows how he will play when he's healthy, or how Budaj will play with all the pressure. The Wings need to play a full 60 minutes. Avs fans say the same thing about the Avs. Whoever does this will probably win the series.

I also find it funny that both Wings and Avs fans think the OTHER team lacks depth. I agree with you that their defense isnt' nearly as good as ours, but on forwards I'd say we're pretty much even. Zetterberg just needs to stop shooting backhanders at the net and take good shots.

The thing is, Detroit relies on its bag of tricks. Which is great and all, Nashville obviously didn't know how to respond. I think Colorado does. Not to mention it's the playoffs and anyone can win any game based on some slight change in the series.

Although I won't dismiss the idea of a sweep, I think that if it happens each game will be close. I'm talking like:

Just curious what are Detroit's "bag of tricks"? <_<

I think the real question should be.... Can the Avs Sweep the wings?

end all discussion the answer is NO!

:hysterical: I don't know I think that they have a good chance, if we play only Sammy and Lils :hysterical:

*(I don't really dislike either of these guys as much as most. I think for their salaries they are pretty good for the team.)

Edit: Grammer

Edited by Frozen-Man

Just curious what are Detroit's "bag of tricks"? <_<

Hello!! Its using the Zettberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom line...!!

...or is it pairing up Filppula with Franzen?

...or is it putting Hudler with Draper for an unexpected offensive punch?

...or is it Kronwalls big hits??

...Rafalskis complement to Lidstrom shot on the point??

...Drakes awakening?

...Osgoods mental strength??

...Our ability to throw out 70984 different line combinations game in and game out?

...Never running out of good PKers??

:blink:

Honestly, I think Detroit needs to stop beating themselves. Cause when they decide to play, they can handle anyone. And no one can handle them.

...Drakes awakening?

...Our ability to throw out 70984 different line combinations game in and game out?

Honestly, I think Detroit needs to stop beating themselves. Cause when they decide to play, they can handle anyone. And no one can handle them.

Probably the most accurate statement I've read on these boards in a long time.

...Drakes awakening?

Exactly. I don't see them as tricks kind of team. They are a team tha controls the puck, picks up good players for all positions who are professionals and can take care of business when called on and have few defensive breakdowns. I think almost any team would love to have our team's tricks aka hard work and hockey sense.

Has VladdyIBelieve seen this thread yet? She might have to wear multiple GDTs to offset this superstitional trainwreck. :lol:

Vladdy, if you're reading this, just breathe. Slowly, deeply. It'll be okay.

Seriously, though, the Avs' forechecking and ability to hold the puck in our zone was a little scary at times yesterday, especially in the third period. It'll be a dogfight. They're pretty good. We're better, but the better team doesn't always win (and we should know that better than anyone).

Edited by Shockwave180

I predicted a sweep when this series began, and I actually think the other games will be easier than the one we squeaked out last night. Plus, we always win in the Pepsi Center, so I'm not worried about their crowd, unlike if we had to play Calgary.

a sweep is possible, very unlikely though in my opinion. if we get shaky on d again i could see colorado stealing game 2, i doubt babs will let the wings get in that position though.

most likley colorado will take one at colorado, and wings will win in 5

I think a sweep would startle me. I don't expect it. I do expect to win. I figure 5-6 games is likely and, should the Avs get nuts on us, it could go the distance. But.....honestly?.....I never expect the Wings to lose.

OMG this thread is freaking me out :scared:

One win and someone has to shout the "S" word!! They (the Avs) played well in the end and almost tied the game there - w/o Theodore and Floppa, and now you're calling the series??

Were you one of the Wings fans posting in the Denver Post today about how we are going to kick their a$$? that was freaking me out too.

It's one win (a close one at the end) in a 7 game series.

As many have said, please don't jinx us!!! Let's just hope for a W in game #2 at this point!