• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Donaldjr2448

Ice Condition for Monday and Wednesday?

Rate this topic

With the rising temp in Dallas this week, I have been worried about the ice condition for this week. I know that Dallas is playing in a new arena, but I am really concerned over the ice. That is why it was so important for us to win the first two games in Detroit.

I was wondering if anyone that lives in the Dallas area, or that follows the Stars know if the ice has ever been bad on hot days in the AAC or what? I know that here in Nashville when the Wings played Game 6 the ice was horrible, and led to bad bounces (thankfully our way).

Usually when the ice is bad you have to get your chances early in the periods,and we know that Dallas will come out flying tomorrow night, so I'm worried about falling behind early on bad ice! :scared:

According to Bruce MacLeod at Red Wings Corner, here's what Babcock had to say:

"That facility is going to be real hot," said Babcock. "The ice, in my experience, in Dallas at playoff time gets to the point that it's hard to make plays."

GREAT!!!! :angry:

It's still harder for Dallas to make plays, too. Yes, they're used to it but the Wings beat Nashville 3-0 on their own (bad) ice to close out the series.

I don't think it will be too bad, certainly the ice won't be as good as a northern team, but climate control these days is much easier and American Airlines Center is a quality arena.

Thanks Texdude!! That makes me feel better. I know that Reunion arena was built mostly above ground making it hard to keep cool, I just wasn't sure about the new arena!!

It's still harder for Dallas to make plays, too. Yes, they're used to it but the Wings beat Nashville 3-0 on their own (bad) ice to close out the series.

Yes, very true. However I think Dallas is much better than Nashville, and Bad Ice slows the play down, which I think will help Dallas in the long run!! I don't know, but I always seem to worry alot this time of year!!! :unsure:

This isn't going to be an easy game. Maybe it is a good idea to score early when ice is still bearable and take the crowds out at the same time.

If we let them hang around... we gonna have to pay price.

Both the Wings and the Stars are playing on the same ice....advantage/disadvantage to both teams equally. We'll be ok. ;)

Style of play has a lot to do with the fact that the bad ice will be harder on Detroit than Dallas.

Yes both teams are playing on the s***ty ice, but if your offense is based on crisp passes and moving the puck around the defense and playing keep away, s***ty ice and bad bounces will impact your game more than a dump and chase team. Now granted Dallas isn't a dump and chase team, but they are by no means close to the puck possession style of team Detroit is.

So if the ice is choppy and creates a lot of bad bounces it will hurt Detroit worse than Dallas.

But you are right, to quote Naught By Nature, Everything is gonna be alright!!!

Edited by Opie

I wouldn't put too much stock into the ice being s***ty. Obviously, it isn't the best, but when compared to Reunion Arena. It's heads and shoulders better than the last time you guys played us this time of the year.

I remember all the extra s*** they brought into Reunion to try to suck some humidity out haha. I miss that place.

Anyways, the AAC has world-class type AC and all of that kinds of stuff. It wont be perfect, but not s***ty, either.

I wouldn't put too much stock into the ice being s***ty. Obviously, it isn't the best, but when compared to Reunion Arena. It's heads and shoulders better than the last time you guys played us this time of the year.

I remember all the extra s*** they brought into Reunion to try to suck some humidity out haha. I miss that place.

Anyways, the AAC has world-class type AC and all of that kinds of stuff. It wont be perfect, but not s***ty, either.

Ain't that the truth!! AA is a gorgeous arena, even though it's more suited to basketball than hockey. But I loved crappy old Reunion... oh, well. AA does have a magnificent sound system, though, doesn't it?

It's not that hot here in Texas. I think the ice will be fine.

PS - DallasStars, if you know anyone with a spare ticket, I will be glad to head up I35 and do some research re: the ice! :P

Edited by puckloo39

Both teams have to play on it. If it sucks for us it sucks for them.

Hey, I came in from Calif to check out this game -- anyone in Big D know when the morning skates usually happen, and if they open up the arena to the public at all for them? I am staying right next door.

Just a thought:

Red Wings V Nas, southern warmer climate, Red Wings lose 2 of 3 on the warmer surface.

Red Wings V Col, Northern colder climate, Red Wings dominate two games on their ice.

Not a correlation just exploratory thought!

Bad ice affects a puck possession team a lot more than a non puck possession team. If you are not worried about your clear going to the right person (because Dallas clears the puck and chases it down) you don't care how well the puck moves across the surface. Therefore it will not impact their leaving the zone, unlike Detroit passing out of the zone.

If you are a puck possession team, with crisp break out passes that lead to your offense or setting up in the zone, it becomes a lot more difficult to control the puck and make it tougher to pass.

If both teams played the exact same style of hockey, and all the players skated the exact same way than YES, bad ice would have no different impact. However seeing as Dallas does not play (no one really does) the same caliber of puck possession hockey as Detroit it will impact the teams differently.

It may impact their ability to hit a home run pass now and again, but how often do you see them clear the puck out of their zone and chase it down, as opposed to Detroit who gathers the puck, finds the open man and uses passes to not only clear the zone, but turn it into offense.

But if what DallasStars is saying about the new building is true, it won't matter, but to say the ice will impact both teams the same is not true.

Ain't that the truth!! AA is a gorgeous arena, even though it's more suited to basketball than hockey. But I loved crappy old Reunion... oh, well. AA does have a magnificent sound system, though, doesn't it?

It's not that hot here in Texas. I think the ice will be fine.

PS - DallasStars, if you know anyone with a spare ticket, I will be glad to head up I35 and do some research re: the ice! :P

haha. I had an extra but disposed of it on Ebay. Sorry.

Hey, I came in from Calif to check out this game -- anyone in Big D know when the morning skates usually happen, and if they open up the arena to the public at all for them? I am staying right next door.

Morning skate is usually 10:00 a.m. for Stars and 11:00 a.m. for the visitors. These times change sometimes and are both local time.

As for attending, it's not allowed. Well, except for the press...which you might be, I dont know.

Yeah both teams will have to deal with it and it won't be Reunion, I thin Ozzie knows how bad that ice was, *cough* Langenbrunner *cough*. I guess you could say it benefits Dallas but if it does it's not by much.

The high for tomorrow is 85 and Wednesday is 77. Hardly anything to worry about.

Thanks for the update, I was watching the Weather Channel last friday and they said that the temps would be in the Mid-90's. I then became very concerned! 85 and 77 will be much better than 90+. Good Deal!! :thumbup:

Bad ice affects a puck possession team a lot more than a non puck possession team. If you are not worried about your clear going to the right person (because Dallas clears the puck and chases it down) you don't care how well the puck moves across the surface. Therefore it will not impact their leaving the zone, unlike Detroit passing out of the zone.

That's a big oversimplification.

Bottom line: yes, it will probably hurt the Wings a little more than it does the Stars, but with the way the two teams have been playing, the Wings could get knocked down a couple notches and still dominate.

And let's not forget the all-important "lucky bounces." The Wings love those this season.

That's a big oversimplification.

Bottom line: yes, it will probably hurt the Wings a little more than it does the Stars, but with the way the two teams have been playing, the Wings could get knocked down a couple notches and still dominate.

And let's not forget the all-important "lucky bounces." The Wings love those this season.

My how the tide turns because last year I f*^king hated lucky bounces, this year they are like Jesus, they are just alright with me!!!

Thanks for the update, I was watching the Weather Channel last friday and they said that the temps would be in the Mid-90's. I then became very concerned! 85 and 77 will be much better than 90+. Good Deal!! :thumbup:

Current temp is 75. With the AC in the building the ice should fine.

I live 10 Minutes from the rink and its not that hot today. This morning it was in the 50's warming up to about 78. The ice will be fine!!! Heal The Mule!!!