• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
timothy1997

Wings/Pistons schedule conflict

Rate this topic

I could see if everyone watched sporting events by themselves, but some of my friends are hockey guys, and others basketball, baseball too. It makes for difficult viewings at different locations when we want to get together to celebrate our Detroit teams doing well. Flipping back and forth missing plays blows. Sometimes we have to get two televisions out to accomodate. Or go to a bar, which everyone can't always do.

It would just be easier and more beneficial for all of Detroit to schedule alternate dates.

I'm not a basketball fan, and don't jump on that bandwagon either. Still it's a shame that they have to be on at the same time. Way to cut your audience Bettman.

Detroit's not being screwed. I don't know a single person who's torn over what to watch. They're either a basketball fan or a hockey fan - no conflict whatsoever.

<---

Now you do.

I'm not torn, exactly. My decision is made because the Wings are at a higher level of the playoffs than the Pistons. I like hockey better than basketball, and if I were honest with myself the Pistons almost always come in last of the four Detroit teams in my personal hierarchy.

But I hate saying that, because I do love the Pistons. Around here there's a lot of "NBA players are thugs" mentality, and the NBA does have a really annoying me-first, forever-clubbin', check-out-my-posse, kind of element to it. But that's unfair to a LOT of the league, too.....especially the Pistons. People who check out the Pistons will see that a lot about what they love about hockey players and the NHL is embodied in the Pistons - hard-working, very competitive, and most of all very unselfish. For the most part the Pistons are made up of solid family guys too, not the Shawn Kemp kid in every city type. That's Joe D's stamp on the team. And when the Pistons are successful it's not just Kobe Bryant scoring 50 and never passing, it's a team thing and a joy to watch. (And the Joe could really take a lesson or two from the Palace about atmosphere.)

So yeah. I'm not happy with Bettman. It's like the decision is made in a vacuum. I understand HNIC wants Saturday nights. Fine. What's wrong with Tuesday-Thursday-Saturdays instead? Throw us a bone here.

(And I'm perfectly aware that this is a problem that fans in most other cities would give their left nut for.)

another article about the scheduling conflict.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/16377593/detail.html

Sucks for those people that have pistons and red wing season tickets. Both games (saturday and monday) are home and this is the first time ever that the same city the Stanley Cup Finals and the NBA Conference Finals are being played in. Tigers also play on Saturday night at the Copa but no one seems to be talking about that conflict. Don't expect that big of a crowd on Saturday at Comerica.

So yeah. I'm not happy with Bettman. It's like the decision is made in a vacuum. I understand HNIC wants Saturday nights. Fine. What's wrong with Tuesday-Thursday-Saturdays instead? Throw us a bone here.

(And I'm perfectly aware that this is a problem that fans in most other cities would give their left nut for.)

Thats the point I originally made and 100% agree with. I don't buy this NHL didn't know or the schedule is made in advance crap. Minor tweakings of the cup finals schedule is not that difficult and would make everyone happy.

Did anyone hear Bettman on Stoney and Wojo yesterday? He claimed that the schedule was set in stone a year an advance and completely unchangable, which I think we all know is a load of BS

Personally I hate the NBA, but it is still incredibly frustrating that the league is willing to screw the many people who are Pistons fans. Espeacially when you consider that the NHL is on VS., and the NBA games are on ABC, they're going to have quite a tough time getting viewers.

Bettman was seriously on their show? Did that chump talk about anything else?

I wonder if this will affect the attendance at the Joe during the SCF... I doubt it, but just something to think about.. for a second.

I'm pretty sure the Joe is sold out for at least Game 1, so it doesn't seem that the conflict has been a problem in that regard, at least right now.

What is funny is that the NBA already had the Eastern Conference Finals scheduled before the NHL schedule came out? Even a simple economist would say to maximize the gain, put the games at different times; that way both the NBA and NHL benefit. Putting them at the same time AND from the same city is frickin ridiculous. Another resume point for Bettman...

CBC had forked out the most money to the NHL so they dictated what time the games started. 8:00 and possibly 3 Saturday games. Both Leagues have to adhear to the TV contracts that they have.

Personaly I have yet to sit down and watch a complete Pistons playoff game yet. So it really makes no difference to me, As I have yet to miss a Wings game. I am thankful that they are not in the finals also.

You guys need to stop living in the dark ages and buy a DVR. Problems like this won't even exist if you have one; it'll make your TV viewing life so much easier.

That's part of my problem.....when I bought my TiVo, I stupidly didn't plan ahead for situations like this, and I bought the box that can only record one at a time. I had wanted to record the entire NBA ECF as well as the SCF.

Besides, DVR's are luxury items. Not everyone can afford one. (And I'd be furious at someone who complain about what they can't afford in this economy but have a DVR at home.) And it's the principle of the thing. Bettman has now managed to piss off Red Wings fans twice these playoffs with stupid, stupid decisions and the lamest possible excuses for them. Normally I'm slow to get pissed off at Bettman because he gets blamed for a lot of stuff that's not his fault. But this is absolutely his doing and it's dumb.