• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Antilles328

When do the Penguins implode?

Rate this topic

I don't know alot about the salary cap but wont the Pens balance sheet explode once Sidney/Malkin get past the entry level salary restriction? It looks like they have 41 mil in salary and thats with Malkin and Crosby making under a million each.

Can anyone elaborate on when they will start making the big dollars?

Edited by Antilles328

Local Pittsburgh radio guys:

Malone, Hossa, Rutuu, Gonchar, Roberts are gone.

Pens brass wants to sign the guys down the middle long-term: Malkin, Staal & Fleury.

from Bucci:

For the sake of this argument, let's say the Penguins have all of these players on their roster two years from now, when the contract extension years for Malkin and Staal kick in. Let's assume the following cap numbers with the first three contracts already being signed and the rest being my contracts for the players:

Crosby -- $8.7 million ($43.5 million for five years)

Gonchar -- $5 million (last year of his five-year, $25.5 million deal)

Whitney -- $4 million (signed for six years, $24 million before this season)

Malkin -- $8.5 million ($85 million for 10 years)

Hossa -- $6 million ($36 million for six years)

Malone -- $4.5 million ($27 million for six years)

Fleury -- $4.5 million ($36 million for eight years)

Staal -- $4.5 million ($18 million for four years)

That is $45.7 million for eight players.

Next season, the salary cap is reportedly expected to rise to about $53 million. There is a good chance there will be added television revenue by the 2009-10 season and more guaranteed money after that as the NHL rides the wave of all of this young talent. The NHL should continue to see its revenues rise, which will likely include expanding by two teams. Let's be bullish in regard to revenues and say the salary cap reaches $60 million by the 2009-10 season. Suddenly, the Penguins are $15 million under the cap and could rely on rookies and veterans willing to come to a great team for short money/years for the other 10 or so spots (players at about $1.5 million average). This is all very doable.

I don't know alot about the salary cap but wont the Pens balance sheet explode once Sidney/Malkin get pass the entry level salary restriction?

Can anyone elaborate on when they will start making the big dollars?

Local Pittsburgh radio guys:

Malone, Hossa, Rutuu, Gonchar, Roberts are gone.

Pens brass wants to sign the guys down the middle long-term: Malkin, Staal & Fleury.

from Bucci:

For the sake of this argument, let's say the Penguins have all of these players on their roster two years from now, when the contract extension years for Malkin and Staal kick in. Let's assume the following cap numbers with the first three contracts already being signed and the rest being my contracts for the players:

Crosby -- $8.7 million ($43.5 million for five years)

Gonchar -- $5 million (last year of his five-year, $25.5 million deal)

Whitney -- $4 million (signed for six years, $24 million before this season)

Malkin -- $8.5 million ($85 million for 10 years)

Hossa -- $6 million ($36 million for six years)

Malone -- $4.5 million ($27 million for six years)

Fleury -- $4.5 million ($36 million for eight years)

Staal -- $4.5 million ($18 million for four years)

That is $45.7 million for eight players.

Next season, the salary cap is reportedly expected to rise to about $53 million. There is a good chance there will be added television revenue by the 2009-10 season and more guaranteed money after that as the NHL rides the wave of all of this young talent. The NHL should continue to see its revenues rise, which will likely include expanding by two teams. Let's be bullish in regard to revenues and say the salary cap reaches $60 million by the 2009-10 season. Suddenly, the Penguins are $15 million under the cap and could rely on rookies and veterans willing to come to a great team for short money/years for the other 10 or so spots (players at about $1.5 million average). This is all very doable.

Pretty much hit it on the button.

They will try to keep hossa if they can get him for less than 6 million/year, but this is highly doubtful. Staal, he is still young and they can sign him for semi cheap because he isnt a pure goal scorer.

Malkin's staying, he'll get crosby money.

Fleurys getting paid from us

Malone is expendable unfortunately

They will be fine, they can keep the core that they had at the beginning of this yea.

They may try to sign Dups.

Overall, this might be the best pens team in terms of talent compared to the next couple years because of all the great players they have now for a reasonable price, but they are lacking experience.

Edited by pits200

Malkin will get waaaaaaaaaaaaay more then $8.5 mill. Al Strachan was saying last night he won't take a home town discount and could command up to 20% of the cap which at that point would be close to 12 million.

$12M seems like a stretch, but he'll end up with more than Sid and I think the kid will be fine with that.

In the previous post, getting Hossa for $6M is not even close. He'll be $8M/year minimum long term. Our best hope right now is to sign him to $10M for one more year (while we have the room) and hope we can work out a smaller cap hit after that. Malone at $4.5 is a longshot because his wife wants to move to Minnesota to be with her family and the Wild will pony up.

If/when the pens lose, that'll suck for there team considering this will be there best shot.

Not really. That assumes young, affordable guys like Kennedy, Staal, Letang, Talbot, and Goligoski (AHL) won't develop further while the core gets even more experience. Even without signing Hossa and Malone, there will still be plenty of cap space for capable (though not equal) replacements. Shero's plan has been coming together nicely and this year was an unexpected early blessing. We're fine as long as our young core of Sid, Geno, Fleury, and Staal grow together.

I know Hossa is worth way more than 6 million, but he wants to be on a winning team and possibly may take less. I know its a long shot, but the point I was trying to make is that they would not sign him unless for some miraculous reason he was fine making 6.

I know Hossa is worth way more than 6 million, but he wants to be on a winning team and possibly may take less. I know its a long shot, but the point I was trying to make is that they would not sign him unless for some miraculous reason he was fine making 6.

Understood, but that's a $1M pay cut from his current salary. Not gonna happen. But you know what the real question is, right? ;)

WOW!!!

I knew they had a lot of UFA's I didn't realize it was that many!

After this season they have a total of 16 UFA's after this season, between the Ducks and the Pens they could form an entire team with the UFa's they will have.

Most of Pit's are forwards and most of ANA are d-men!!!

The Pens should be able to sign enough guys to be competitive but I think if they are going to win it all with Crosby they need to get him one or two (NFM that was for you) solid defensive defenseman and a shut down checking line forward.

WOW!!!

I knew they had a lot of UFA's I didn't realize it was that many!

After this season they have a total of 16 UFA's after this season, between the Ducks and the Pens they could form an entire team with the UFa's they will have.

Most of Pit's are forwards and most of ANA are d-men!!!

The Pens should be able to sign enough guys to be competitive but I think if they are going to win it all with Crosby they need to get him one or two (NFM that was for you) solid defensive defenseman and a shut down checking line forward.

Orpik/Gill and Jordan Staal. Check and check.

When I said they needed a solid defensive defenseman I should have said a #1, I apologize for not being clearer!

I'm sorry but Orpik nor Gill are what the Pens need, Orpik may become that, but currently is not.

Hal Gill will look like a pylon when Dats, Z, Flip, Huds are flying by him.

Just like if he played for the Wings Crosby, Malkin, Hossa would be flying by him.

If you are really pinning your hopes on Hal Gill being your #1 defensive defenseman you should ask the fans of Boston and Toronto how that worked out for them!

But the Pens need a Pronger, Phanuef. Lidstrom, Neidermayer type defenseman. There just aren't that many out there.

Jordan Staal, again when I say shut down forward I mean a Kris Draper, John Madden type guy. Jordon Staal again is not that, he may become that, but is not that. He may be 2-4 years away from that, but by that time Pit will be a shadow of what they are now, UNLESS they can draft really well late or make some really good trades.

Orpik will gone next year too, forgot to mention, hates playing for Iron Mike.

Yea. Probably. I'd settle for getting Eaton back now that Gill is here as a big body.

Gonch-Eaton

Whitney-Gill

Goligoski-Letang

Scuderi or Sydor (7th)

I can live with that.

When I said they needed a solid defensive defenseman I should have said a #1, I apologize for not being clearer!

I'm sorry but Orpik nor Gill are what the Pens need, Orpik may become that, but currently is not.

Hal Gill will look like a pylon when Dats, Z, Flip, Huds are flying by him.

Just like if he played for the Wings Crosby, Malkin, Hossa would be flying by him.

If you are really pinning your hopes on Hal Gill being your #1 defensive defenseman you should ask the fans of Boston and Toronto how that worked out for them!

But the Pens need a Pronger, Phanuef. Lidstrom, Neidermayer type defenseman. There just aren't that many out there.

Jordan Staal, again when I say shut down forward I mean a Kris Draper, John Madden type guy. Jordon Staal again is not that, he may become that, but is not that. He may be 2-4 years away from that, but by that time Pit will be a shadow of what they are now, UNLESS they can draft really well late or make some really good trades.

1) It's no secret we could use the type of D-man you describe, but we got this far without one.

2) Staal is all that already, as you will soon see.

Edited by Dr Rosenrosen

1) It's no secret we could use the type of D-man you describe, but we got this far without one because the forwards provide so much support on D.

2) Staal is all that already, as you will soon see.

Actually it is no secret that about 80% of the league needs that!!

Maybe Staal is that and I will see it, or you will see the defense the forwards of Det play and realize that Staal needs a little more refining.

The beauty of it is in a couple of days we will all know the answer to these questions!

HEY BTW:

Thanks for coming to the board and not being a complete troll or tool bag!!!!!

It is always fun to have the opposing team on here, well at least when the good guys are winning! :ph34r:

money hungry russians! :battle:

so if Malkin wants say $10M/yr he's a greedy Russian, but when Joe "playoff no show"

Thorton wants say $7M/yr it's OK, although Gino M is at this moment probably the

most potent forward in the world?

excuse me

there were some dumb and greedy Russians in this league a while ago (e.g. Yashin)

but the same goes to other nationalities. but unlike many others, some Russians

actually have incredible skill package which brings fans out of the seats. they demand

money they deserve. just as all other players

Actually it is no secret that about 80% of the league needs that!!

Maybe Staal is that and I will see it, or you will see the defense the forwards of Det play and realize that Staal needs a little more refining.

The beauty of it is in a couple of days we will all know the answer to these questions!

HEY BTW:

Thanks for coming to the board and not being a complete troll or tool bag!!!!!

It is always fun to have the opposing team on here, well at least when the good guys are winning! :ph34r:

That's still too long. This waiting is killing me!

And when the good guys are winning, I just hope the bad guys aren't whining! :hockeysmile:

so if Malkin wants say $10M/yr he's a greedy Russian, but when Joe "playoff no show"

Thorton wants say $7M/yr it's OK, although Gino M is at this moment probably the

most potent forward in the world?

excuse me

there were some dumb and greedy Russians in this league a while ago (e.g. Yashin)

but the same goes to other nationalities. but unlike many others, some Russians

actually have incredible skill package which brings fans out of the seats. they demand

money they deserve. just as all other players

I have got to tell you I have a hard time with the Greedy Russian thing.

Think about the Russians that first came over, they pretty much gave up everything in their family's lives to come over here to play hockey. If they went back to Russia they were considered traders. If you were willing to give up your life you would want some financial security in return.

Yashin was not a greedy Russian he was just greedy, had he been from NJ but had the same personality he would have still just been greedy, because he came from Russia doesn't make him worse or any different.

BTW there is a massive difference between a former Ross winner(06), Hart Winner(06), 5 time all star asking for 7 mil (a definite discount, regardless of your playoff opinion of him) and a guy who has won no awards, been an all star exactly 1 time asking for 10 mil. Especially when it is arguable as to whether or not he is even the best player on his team.

I get your point about Malkin not being greedy but you chose a bad example!