• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
sjradio

Rate this topic

The Wings were SOLD OUT. All tickets sold..... 20,066 official attendance...

The Pistons were SOLD OUT. All tickets sold..... 22,076 official attendance according to the NBA.

The Tigers were SOLD OUT.. All tickets sold..... 41,137 official attendance according to MLB. (100.2%)

Making a Grand total of 83,279 All at or exceeding capacity.

Now I did see some empty seats at the Tigers game, but when all three were playing at the same time.

83,279!!!!

Shows Detroit's love for the game...

I've lived a lot of places, to include Texas, Colorado, and California, and I've never seen sports fans like there are in Detroit. Sure some seasons are up and down for one team or another, but even with the Tigers not doing so hot this year so far, it's still good to see them selling out games.

Detroit is truly the best sports town in the country. Period. Nobody even comes close to matching up. I would challenge anyone from Boston or New York or Philly or Chicago or DC or LA, or anywhere, on this. Boston is probably the only one that can approach us. We have the best fans, the best teams, the most events. We win championships, and we host them. Walk around anywhere in Detroit - pick a mall or something - and you'll see Tigers hats, Pistons jerseys, Wings hats, U-M and MSU gear, even Lions stuff. I just moved out of the Pacific Northwest. Seattle has three teams and a major university but you'd think the Seahawks were the only gig in town.

Detroit is truly the best sports town in the country. Period. Nobody even comes close to matching up. I would challenge anyone from Boston or New York or Philly or Chicago or DC or LA, or anywhere, on this. Boston is probably the only one that can approach us. We have the best fans, the best teams, the most events. We win championships, and we host them. Walk around anywhere in Detroit - pick a mall or something - and you'll see Tigers hats, Pistons jerseys, Wings hats, U-M and MSU gear, even Lions stuff. I just moved out of the Pacific Northwest. Seattle has three teams and a major university but you'd think the Seahawks were the only gig in town.

Boston is the only one that can come close. Fortunately, Detroit sportsfans aren't the obnoxious assholes that Boston fans are.

It's funny how the media (well, more specifically, the hockey media) tries to paint Detroit fans as the worst fans in the world for not selling out every meaningless game (take note: a Monday night matchup against the Columbus Blue Jackets will not get a sellout from ANY team, unless it's free ticket night, or you get the bandwagon fans in a city like, say, Buffalo who have nothing to do). When it comes right down to it, though, Detroit fans are far and away the best, and most passionate fans of any city in the entire country. Nobody else even comes close; say what you want about Boston, Detroit fans are still miles away better, when it comes to every sport. Hockey, baseball, football, basketball, college, etc. The fans in Detroit care and support about all their sports team, and that's what makes us the best around.

Media bigwigs in the hockey world can try and steal the "Hockeytown" title from us all they want, but keep in mind that the cities they want to give it to haven't won a damn thing in their entire existance. Teams like Minnesota and Buffalo, who are the supposed new suitors to the title, have never won the Cup in their entire history, and both have only been to a Cup final three times all together (and for Minnesota, you have to go back to when they were the North Stars). Having "Hockeytown" as a title does not just go to the team having the loudest fans; it goes to a team/city that has also won Championship's, and demonstrated the ability to be successful and do whatever it takes to win. If we're going to now only base that title off of having loud fans, then I guess San Jose and Atlanta should also be in the front running for being the next "Hockeytown". :rolleyes:

Detroit fans are the best, no matter what sport you're talking about. Nobody in the entire country cares and supports their sports teams as good as Detroit fans do.

Also, our teams don't videotape everyone else.

:lol:

Edited by Kp-Wings

It's not just the fans.

Name one other city in the country that has hosted:

The World Series

The Super Bowl

The Stanley Cup Finals

The NBA Finals

(this alone narrows it down to Detroit, LA, and Miami.)

The World Cup (eliminating Miami)

The Ryder Cup

The Final Four (coming in 2009)

The PGA Championship

The U.S. Open in golf

The Frozen Four (coming in 2010 - eliminating LA)

The MLB, NHL, and NBA All-Star Games

An annual bowl game

We have the Gold Cup for hydroplane racing

An annual Grand Prix (which once upon a time was a Formula One race)

The crown jewel would be an Olympics. Detroit has made the final bidding rounds more often than any other unsuccessful city and is considering a shot at the 2020 Olympics. The only city that can come close to claiming this stuff is LA, but the only professional football team in the city is the Trojans.

Yeah Detroit's pretty great - but Melbourne is the sporting capital of the world in my very biased opinion:

Australian Open tennis grand slam

Formula One GP

Olympics

AFL Grand Final every year

MotoGP

Melbourne Cup carnival (horse racing)

Boxing Day test (cricket)

Rip Curl Pro

It's a decent domestic and international resume for a baby city in Australia.

The only way Detroit would have a realistic shot at the 2020 Olympics is if Chicago's 2016 bid fails. Which, despite all the arguing, is still looking very good.

That is amazing. Detroit is #1 for sure! No doubt about it.

I can't even tell you how many times today I've seen Wings car flags, decorated windows, or Wings banners outside people's houses. I was driving with 2 red Red Wings flags *it's been on my car since the playoffs started* and this guy in the lane next to me honks the horn and is screaming outside of his window "WOOO HOOO GO WINGS!" as he's waving his Red Wings hat. Ahh it was such a great feeling. I LOVE IT.

That goes for the Tigers and Pistons too!

Edited by HockeyCrazy3033

If only there wernt still a noticably high amount of emtpy seats in the joe yesturday...

Not at all. The place was packed even during warm ups. Did you see when they came out before the game started? It was definitely sold out, no empty seats.

I just moved out of the Pacific Northwest. Seattle has three teams and a major university but you'd think the Seahawks were the only gig in town.

The Mariners get tons of love too, but it is pretty much just those two. You'd never know there was pro basketball around here.

It's not just the fans.

Name one other city in the country that has hosted:

The World Series

The Super Bowl

The Stanley Cup Finals

The NBA Finals

(this alone narrows it down to Detroit, LA, and Miami.)

and all of these were hosted, along with the MLB all star game, in a span of 5 years.

edit: i also wanted to add that had the Lions been playing yesterday, they would have sold out too.

Edited by HomeNugget

The Mariners get tons of love too, but it is pretty much just those two. You'd never know there was pro basketball around here.

what about all that stuff i've read about how seattle's all broken up over the Sonics moving?

what about all that stuff i've read about how seattle's all broken up over the Sonics moving?

You always read that when a team moves. Honestly, I don't think I ever saw a single person wearing any Sonics gear when I lived in Everett. No Sonics billboards and they were always an afterthought on sports reports. Bowling alleys, bars, what have you, always Seahawks paraphernelia, rarely any Mariners stuff and definitely no Sonics stuff. I feel bad for actual Sonics fans, but there's so few of them left.

You always read that when a team moves. Honestly, I don't think I ever saw a single person wearing any Sonics gear when I lived in Everett. No Sonics billboards and they were always an afterthought on sports reports. Bowling alleys, bars, what have you, always Seahawks paraphernelia, rarely any Mariners stuff and definitely no Sonics stuff. I feel bad for actual Sonics fans, but there's so few of them left.

ah, i gotcha. they took the sonics for granted, and now that they're losing them everyone's sad.

don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you got till its gone...