• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
high_stick69

What is a "shovel shot?"

Rate this topic

It's kinda when they have no time to set up or take a regular shot. You're "scooping" your stick and the puck at the net. Like you're shoveling snow.

Do you actually play hockey?

sooo, I have played competitive hockey for my whole life...

I've played house hockey, AA, triple A, midget minors, Junior hockey, High School hockey... hell, I've even played roller hockey now for many years.

In all my 21 years of playing hockey not ONCE have I heard the term "shovel shot".

P.S.

The "Do you actually play hockey?" quote is PROBABLY one of the funniest things I've read in a very long time!

FireCaptain is right. I don't hear anyone but Doc use the term really, but it's especially when the puck isn't in a good shooting position out in front of you and you just kind of push it.

okay, so you don't play hockey either...

Shovel shot is similar to... swagger, pitchfork, walks it on, twists, shakes, forearm shiver, walls him, gotten, slung, 100 seconds left in the period... all completely idiotic terms that have nothing to do with hockey that that Jackass Emrick has come up with and uses to annoy the s*** out of real hockey fans.

Its the shot that Malkin takes... its like he is holding a shovel instead of a stick...ergo the puck goes 2mph after a slapshot!

I usually call em a snap shot. But to each his own.

Really? To me, its nothing like a snapshot.

A snapsnot is when someone doesn't have the time to wind up for the slapper, and rather just does a short wind-up (6-12 inches worth) and then lets it rip.

To me, a shovel shot would have no wind-up...just a forward, pushing motion.

While I've never heard the term, I've played enough hockey in my life to figure out what he's talking about. I don't get why everyone else on here who has played feels it necessary to belittle people who don't/haven't played for surmising as to what he means. I've never heard of it termed as such, but I sure have "shoveled" a puck or two into the net over the years.

sooo, I have played competitive hockey for my whole life...

I've played house hockey, AA, triple A, midget minors, Junior hockey, High School hockey... hell, I've even played roller hockey now for many years.

In all my 21 years of playing hockey not ONCE have I heard the term "shovel shot".

P.S.

The "Do you actually play hockey?" quote is PROBABLY one of the funniest things I've read in a very long time!

Same here...I've been skating since I was a kid, and haven't ever heard of the "shovel shot..." but, if there is a something new out of Canada, I want to know aboot it!

Same here...I've been skating since I was a kid, and haven't ever heard of the "shovel shot..." but, if there is a something new out of Canada, I want to know aboot it!

I wouldn't worry about it....Doc Emrick invents a lot of terminology that's not likely to ever be picked up by the rest of the world.

okay, so you don't play hockey either...

Shovel shot is similar to... swagger, pitchfork, walks it on, twists, shakes, forearm shiver, walls him, gotten, slung, 100 seconds left in the period... all completely idiotic terms that have nothing to do with hockey that that Jackass Emrick has come up with and uses to annoy the s*** out of real hockey fans.

I've been playing hockey since I was 6. Just because you've never heard the term doesn't mean that Doc isn't describing something specific when he uses it, just like all those other terms you just mentioned.

I've been playing hockey since I was 10, and I know more about the game than a lot of people that have been playing their entire lives. There are also people that haven't played a second of actual hockey and probably know more about the game than I do. What does it matter if you've played or not? Does that mean your opinion is any more or less valid? I'd be very willing to bet that there are lots of people that have never played the game yet understand it from a tactical standpoint better than plenty of people that have played.

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

I've been playing hockey since I was 10, and I know more about the game than a lot of people that have been playing their entire lives. There are also people that haven't played a second of actual hockey and probably know more about the game than I do. What does it matter if you've played or not? Does that mean your opinion is any more or less valid? I'd be very willing to bet that there are lots of people that have never played the game yet understand it from a tactical standpoint better than plenty of people that have played.

Thank you :thumbup:

"You obviously don't play hockey" is generally the worst refutation one can give. The only thing you really won't know is what it feels like to get a buddy pass and things like that.

GFT!!! It's why some of the best players will never be good coaches. Knowing the game and playing the game are not necessarily synonymous.

I've been playing hockey since I was 6. Just because you've never heard the term doesn't mean that Doc isn't describing something specific when he uses it, just like all those other terms you just mentioned.

Exactly.

Why all the hate for Emerick? Is there an official hockey dictionary he's supposed to follow?

I think Doc is fine, and shovel shot and those other terms are pretty good descriptions of what goes on in a game, even if they're apparently not in the accepted hockey lexicon.

If someone wasn't a Wings fan, they might not like hearing Bingo Bango or constant references to going out for a ginger ale by Mickey.

Basically it's a redirection. Someone throws the puck in front of you and you don't actually wind up and shoot it, you just push your stick forward (like you're shoveling) and tap the puck in the open net.