• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

SinBinHockey

Who retires?

Rate this topic

Players who may or may not retire:

1. Hasek- Wouldn't this be the best time to go out? He didn't play much but he still won a cup.

2. Chelios- I like him and I know he wants to stay but do we really even need the guy at 47?

3. Drake- Did his job and won a cup. Any need to play one more season?

There are a few more guys getting up there in age. I am really interested in who comes back for next season.

hasek and chelios said after theyd both liek to come back

personally i dont think either should, unless chelly is looking for a depth roll.

7th defensemen kinda thing

What is the nice way to tell Hasek we don't need him back at 44?

I think if Hasek is completely willing to accept the backup role, that's fine. I mean, really, would there be a better backup goalie in the league?

Word,

LDi03

Imagine that groin coming off the bench though! Pop Pop Pop Tear Split .....Unless we could put an elastic band in it. :lol:

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/20...sek_consid.html

Hasek, 43, said he also was happy to be around for his second Cup title, even though he lost his starting job to Chris Osgood after Game 4 of the opening round against Nashville.

"It (watching) is a little bit different, but still it was the reason I came back, and I am very happy for everyone,'' Hasek said.

Asked whether he will retire or return for another season, Hasek said, "Stanley Cup win will have nothing to do with my decision, which I'm going to make in the next week or two.''

If Hasek still has the drive to play and he's willing to accept a deal for about $1 million, the Red Wings are likely to re-sign him.

"If Dom tells me he's really motivated and wants to come back, I'm interested in talking,'' Holland said. "It takes a tremendous amount of energy to win a championship and you better feel you got a tremendous amount of energy because even when you feel you do, sometimes you don't. I'm not going to convince him to play. If he walks into my office and tells me there's passion there, there's energy, there's enthusiasm, then we're gong to have a long talk.''

Top prospect Jimmy Howard can remain in Grand Rapids (AHL) for one more season without clearing waivers.

"We like Jimmy Howard, but you can't have enough depth,'' Holland said. "I thought Dom and Ozzie the last two years have given us a tremendous one-two punch.''

it'll all be down to Drakes family. He's said on more than one occasion he hates living away from them. He has a cup now. I'd honestly expect him to retire. He's been a warrior this year though..

i always hated him when he was with the note, but i love him to death now

I don't know if all three retire, but I don't think any will be back with the team next year. I expect Drake to go out on top. He has earned it and deserves to retire a champion. I am 50- 50 on Hasek. I don't think that he will be offered a contract by the Wings if he decides not to retire. Chelli is a different story. Babcock decided that Lilja or Lebda would do more for this team than Chelios could in the final. I don't know if Chelli will want to stick around to be a #7 Defenceman and only play 30 games next year. This sport is a business and I think he is done in Detroit.

I think Drake is most likely to retire and Chelios the least. I'm conflicted about Hasek. He gave us some hellava good games this season and the Dom/Ozzie show worked great in the regular season. I think that unless Hasek pulls a "Legace" and demands to be #1, he'd be offered another round with the Wings.

I think Drake will retire, he came back for one last shot at the cup and got it and it seems that he is ready to spend some time with his family. Not sure about Dom and Cheli, they both probably should. I mean if it were me, I would have to think that realistically at the age of 43 and 46 respectively there isnt a lot of hockey left in you, so why not go out on top?

The article posted above indicates, at least IMO, that Holland is leaning more towards not brining him back.

That was my feeling as well.

I think Drake will retire. He played well during the playoffs and I was glad he was part of the team. But I think he will want to be part of his family more now. He has a big heart and I'll always remember that.

Dom needs to hang 'em up. Cheli still has gas in the tank and I will be glad to see him back, but would understand if he decides to go out as a champion.