• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Opie

Something I noticed

Rate this topic

I noticed that after the ratings started to soar for the SCF, ESPN started to show it a little more coverage.

Marrioti yesterday on PTI talked about the NHL needing to be back on ESPN, it led off ATH, PTI had it second behind the NBA finals. ESPNEWS is covering the parade.

Do you think the great ratings from the SCF may have ESPN thinking or is it just them covering a championship?

BTW game 6 got a 4.4, I can't remember last years numbers but weren't they like 1.something?

Before I reply, one quick comment. This is my first post and I am glad to be in a forum with other Red Wings fans. I am in the San Diego, CA area where hockey coverage is sparse. We don't even have a minor league team anymore and what coverage you do get is mostly Kings/Ducks.

About ESPN. They have to be at least thinking about returning to hockey coverage after what happened with the SCF. The problem is that the NHL still has a black eye from the lockout and that hockey does not sell as well in the Sun Belt, even when one of their teams wins, like the Ducks did in '07. If they feel that those are not issues, then they will try to return to hockey coverage. About 1 out of 9 people in the US lives in CA, so you cannot ignore them as a potential audience.

I only live an hour south of Anaheim and did not notice much coverage or talk among the locals when the Ducks won the cup last year. Someone once stated that if Gretsky did not ever play for the LA Kings, there would not be a franchise in Anaheim or San Jose. I think there's a lot of truth to that. The NHL needs some high profile stars like the NBA had when there was Magic and Larry Bird.

The NHL had no choice but to go to Vs.

ESPNBA esentially dumped them during the strike.

What would do Hockey a world of good is to have people in the press booths who know the game and know the players and who dont show bias. Look at the NFL they have personalities that the viewers like and respect. Who does the NHL have Don Douchebag Cherry? Bill Clement? Mike Emerick?

Sorry!

Get a Mark Messier or a Steve Yzerman or a Mario Lemioux. Some one sinonimous with the game to cover the sport on a National level.

And tell Bettman to take a hike. He's ruining the game.

Before I reply, one quick comment. This is my first post and I am glad to be in a forum with other Red Wings fans. I am in the San Diego, CA area where hockey coverage is sparse. We don't even have a minor league team anymore and what coverage you do get is mostly Kings/Ducks.

About ESPN. They have to be at least thinking about returning to hockey coverage after what happened with the SCF. The problem is that the NHL still has a black eye from the lockout and that hockey does not sell as well in the Sun Belt, even when one of their teams wins, like the Ducks did in '07. If they feel that those are not issues, then they will try to return to hockey coverage. About 1 out of 9 people in the US lives in CA, so you cannot ignore them as a potential audience.

I only live an hour south of Anaheim and did not notice much coverage or talk among the locals when the Ducks won the cup last year. Someone once stated that if Gretsky did not ever play for the LA Kings, there would not be a franchise in Anaheim or San Jose. I think there's a lot of truth to that. The NHL needs some high profile stars like the NBA had when there was Magic and Larry Bird.

San Diego, huh? Man, 14 years in that place was too long for this Wings fan. I went to 3 games and the open practice this year, and I couldn't get enough. The hockey coverage is absolute crap in California. 15,000 fans at the Anaheim Cup parade. 'Nuff said.

And I agree with the poster before me: the NHL has much bigger issues to address before it attempts a reconciliation with a real sports network. They're damn lucky NBC covered games 3-6. Damn lucky.

Someone there even wrote a thing on their website defending the NHL from Tiger Woods' insult.

They're definitely warming up to the NHL again. If the NHL recovers in the next two years, the Wings and Penguins can take full credit for rejuvinating the NHL in spite of all the stupidity the league does that hamstrings it.

Well TSN signed a 6 year deal with the NHL recently, yes I know it's TSN which is obviously Canadian and their broadcast market has no boundaries on hockey fans, but TSN is partly owned by ESPN so for the sake of this conversation its at least worth mentioning.

San Diego, huh? Man, 14 years in that place was too long for this Wings fan. I went to 3 games and the open practice this year, and I couldn't get enough. The hockey coverage is absolute crap in California. 15,000 fans at the Anaheim Cup parade. 'Nuff said.

I live in CA, hockey coverage is the same as it is in most states. Being in LA, get get both Kings and Ducks coverage so we do get a lot of hockey. Only 15,00 showed up because most all CA fans HATE the ducks. If the sharks won, San Jose would be packed crazy. And if the kings won.... well all those fans the kings used to have would mysteriously appear and there would be hundreds of thousands packing the staple center.

Welcome! There are a bunch of SoCal Wings fans here... some transplants (like myself) and some just legit SoCal born fans.

I live in CA, hockey coverage is the same as it is in most states. Being in LA, get get both Kings and Ducks coverage so we do get a lot of hockey. Only 15,00 showed up because most all CA fans HATE the ducks. If the sharks won, San Jose would be packed crazy. And if the kings won.... well all those fans the kings used to have would mysteriously appear and there would be hundreds of thousands packing the staple center.

I see it differently. After living in the Bay Area from 2000-2005, I can say that there are a number of very dedicated, smart hockey fans. However, the vast majority of the area/region still questions whether the Sharks play soccer or hockey.

The difference between the NHL of 25 years ago and the NHL of today on that front is it has little to do with disdain for European talent, but about access to, familiarity and a comfort level with players who have played under pro-style rules in Medicine Hat. - Terr Frei

I agree, the Sharks have always had a good following and the Kings would b/c they been there since 1967. The Ducks are like the Devils. Only little kids liked them b/c of their really *** name from Disney.

Agree with Dabura and Fedorovfan

Vs was the better of the deals TV deals. The NHL was doing some shopping on it's new vehicle for it's product and went to a few dealerships. Being the smart shoppers they were they took the best offer they were quoted. Why pay a premium for poor service?