Photo
- - - - -

Lidstrom and Osgood, do they get their numbers retired?

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#81 Wing Across The Pond

Wing Across The Pond

Gabriel's Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 744 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 06:56 PM

QUOTE (Earthhuman @ June 10, 2008 - 02:55AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Osgood is a professional, a class act, a calm, collected, loyal, deserving player. The problem is that there are only, what, 91 numbers left?

hehehe true... with this is mind it should be about 1 number every decade or so.... maybe even longer because you can't retire too many numbers!

but Lids yes, Ozzie... baring in mind my previous comments, he'd get pushed aside for Lids to be retired.

Posted Image

Check out my blog -The Heid-Out- a cynical mans take on everyday life

#82 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,647 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 07:04 PM

Ok, here are my cases.

Lids - Absolutely. The NHL might as well rename the Norris Trophy the Lidstrom Trophy. It'll be a while before we see another defenseman in the National Hockey League who is as consistantly good as Nick Lidstrom is. It just wouldn't be right seeing another Red Wing wearing the number 5.

Ozzie - This may be just homerism, but I wouldn't have a problem with it at all. As I said above, I don't see anyone else wearing the number 30, it's been Ozzies since 1993. No goalie wore it while he was gone. And if he's able to break Terry Sawchuk's records and make the HOF, why not?

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#83 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 09:18 PM

Nick: Is this even a question? If they DON'T retire his number within 30 seconds of his announcing his retirement, I will go to Detroit and bitchslap someone.

Ozzie: If he can break Sawchuk's records and make the HOF (which I think he will do anyway), then absolutely. It would be a damn shame if the winningest goalie in Red Wings history didn't have his number retired. I understand that to get your number raised to the rafters at the Joe, you need to be above and beyond players on any other team, but what Ozzie has quietly done in his tenure here should not go unnoticed by anyone.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#84 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,029 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 09:32 PM

Lidstrom, yes. Ozzie, no.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#85 Hiei

Hiei

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 10:32 PM

Here is the answer:

#5 will never be worn again.

#30 will never be worn again.

and here's a thought.

#24 for both of em.

"Hit em with your purse, ya *****!" - Random Wings fans shouting at Franziska

#86 brutus

brutus

Rookie

• Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:04 PM

Lidstrom...hellf****** yes...what sorta dummy wouldnt?
Osgood...no so freaking sure...lets see what happens in the next couple of years..we win 1 or 2 more cups then oh yeah baby 2 how could he not???

brutus
To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public --T. Roosevelt

#87 Vilmer

Vilmer

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:09 PM

Lids is a LOCK. I'd say Ozzie needs to get us one more wink.gif