Photo
- - - - -

Lidstrom and Osgood, do they get their numbers retired?

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#1 SFwingsfan

SFwingsfan

Helm's Hoes

• HoF Booster
  • 247 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 07:35 PM

I'm inclined to say Lidstrom for sure, but Osgood no (at least not yet). And I can't think of anyone else on the current roster. Obviously we have a few more seasons before Z or Dats can be considered in the discussion.

#2 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 07:36 PM

Lidstrom : no doubt
Ozzie: i love him, but no.

#3 KronwallCRUNCH

KronwallCRUNCH

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 07:37 PM

Lidstrom: YES.
Osgood: Possibly down the road, but his career ain't over yet!

#4 Jericho613

Jericho613

Give Nothing, Take Everything

• PipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 07:38 PM

Yes and Yes

#5 RWK23

RWK23

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 07:46 PM

Yes to both, IMO.

If Osgood's isn't retired, it will be removed from circulation, a la Aurie and Konstantinov.

Edited by RWK23, 09 June 2008 - 07:47 PM.

"...who fires it out to center ice, five seconds to go, Gonchar to Malkin over the Detroit line pushes it forward. BACKHAND TRY, OH, OSGOOD THE SAVE AND THE REBOUND SLIPS RIGHT PAST THE GOAL MARK! AND THE DETROIT RED WINGS ARE THE 2008 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!" - Ken Kal

#6 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 07:47 PM

Lids - Yes.

Ozzie - Love the guy, but no.

It's tougher to get your number retired by the Wings than it is to get in the HHOF.

And its waaaaaaaaay too early to make a call on Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

#7 Real1

Real1

I Could Have Never Happened

• PipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 07:50 PM

Obviously we have a few more seasons before Z or Dats can be considered in the discussion.

And its waaaaaaaaay too early to make a call on Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

Everyone knows that they will both have there numbers retired. Lets talk about it....

"the more you dream, the farther you get"

Like random things? Follow me on Twitter.

#8 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 08:00 PM

Osgood, Not unless he puts together 1 more cup run.

Lids will be up no doubt

Zetterberg, if he keeps up the pace hes on and becomes captain he could easily be up there too one day.
Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#9 SFwingsfan

SFwingsfan

Helm's Hoes

• HoF Booster
  • 247 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 08:02 PM

QUOTE (RWK23 @ June 9, 2008 - 05:46PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes to both, IMO.

If Osgood's isn't retired, it will be removed from circulation, a la Aurie and Konstantinov.

This brings up an interesting topic. I always thought that Aurie's number was retired officially by Bruce Norris and it was listed as such in team and league media material. Then when Illitch took over it became unclear if it was retired or not. Does anyone know if it was ever hung in the rafters at Olympia. If this topic has been covered before I apologize in advance.

#10 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,662 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 08:03 PM

If Fedorov and Shanahan aren't going to have their numbers retired, then neither should Osgood.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#11 KronwallCRUNCH

KronwallCRUNCH

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 08:10 PM

QUOTE (GMRwings1983 @ June 9, 2008 - 09:03PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If Fedorov and Shanahan aren't going to have their numbers retired, then neither should Osgood.

Shanahan, meh. He has played more than half of his career with teams other than Detroit. Fedorov, you could make a case for. I think that the fact that Osgood is a goaltender, and that he's posted the stats that he has would give him a better chance than Sergei, though.

#12 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,662 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 08:15 PM

QUOTE (KronwallCRUNCH @ June 9, 2008 - 08:10PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Shanahan, meh. He has played more than half of his career with teams other than Detroit. Fedorov, you could make a case for. I think that the fact that Osgood is a goaltender, and that he's posted the stats that he has would give him a better chance than Sergei, though.

No, it has all to do with personality. A lot of people hate Fedorov for the way he left, while no one hates Osgood. It's purely a popularity contest, because Fedorov had a better career as a Wing than Osgood.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#13 Jedi

Jedi

Spell Forged - Unparalleled Quality

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,804 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 08:40 PM

As if Lidstrom wasn't already a lock prior to last Wednesday, it's almost a dead certainty that the #5 will hang in the rafters.

Ozzie's a tougher case. I love the guy, and he has delivered 2 Stanley Cups, but I don't think that he's had the kind of legendary career that's needed to get the number retired. He's a fan favorite, for sure, and he's had a damn good career, even opting to re-sign with a team that hung him out to dry when Hasek was brought on board. But I just don't think that that will be enough.

Of the current Wings, and former Wings that are nearing retirement (I'm looking at you, Sergei Fedorov), I really only see Lidstrom's number being retired.

Zets and Pavs... Please... Let's postpone that talk for 15 years, and then we'll see...

*edit* getting my facts straight

Edited by Jedi, 09 June 2008 - 08:42 PM.

snyoep.jpg
"I am the sword in the darkness... I am the watcher on the walls...
I am the shield that guards the realms of men..."

#14 Kronwall55

Kronwall55

Rookie

• Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 08:44 PM

For a long time people hated Osgood....myself included. I'm still not a big Osgood fan though I am thrilled at how he played in the playoff's.

Lidstrom's number will be retired and I think that will be it until maybe someday Zetterberg. Fedorov probably would have had his retired if he had stuck around.

#15 Probert 5 For Fighting

Probert 5 For Fighting

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 08:46 PM

People seriously think Ozzie is worthy of having his number retired?

He's been a good goaltender who backstopped 2 championship teams, period. Leave it at that. If his number is retired, Fedorov's should be draped over the roof of Joe Louis Arena and a statue should be erected in his honor.

#16 CupChamps979802

CupChamps979802

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 08:51 PM

Both will have been on the tonight show so isn't it automatic wink.gif
Posted Image

#17 Earthhuman

Earthhuman

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,907 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 08:55 PM

Osgood is a professional, a class act, a calm, collected, loyal, deserving player. The problem is that there are only, what, 91 numbers left?

Lidstrom is getting his number retired.

#18 hallelujahlogic

hallelujahlogic

awake, affiliated, and indelible.

• HoF Booster
  • 549 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 09:00 PM

if ozzie keeps playing like he has been, he's on course to shatter a lot of sawchuk's records. doesn't that logically mean that since sawchuk's jersey is retired, if ozzie does break many/all of his records (i don't know all of them off the top of my head, so i don't know if it's feasable for him to actually break them all) his jersey should be retired too?

and lids. jeez. no question.

Posted Image

#19 Hank Dats 'N Homer

Hank Dats 'N Homer

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 09:16 PM

QUOTE (hallelujahlogic @ June 9, 2008 - 10:00PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
if ozzie keeps playing like he has been, he's on course to shatter a lot of sawchuk's records. doesn't that logically mean that since sawchuk's jersey is retired, if ozzie does break many/all of his records (i don't know all of them off the top of my head, so i don't know if it's feasable for him to actually break them all) his jersey should be retired too?

and lids. jeez. no question.

These were my thoughts exactly. Regardless if you like him or not, he has shattered and will continue to shatter Detroit Red Wings goaltending records. I think that in itself would Qualify him. But some of you are saying its a personality and popularity contest, two more things that are in Osgoods favor in my book. I think after you win one stanley cup as a starter, one stanley cup as a back up to Vernon and one stanley cup as a Regualr season Tandom with a Great like Hasek and then WINNING all playoff games besides two means you have 3 Stanley cups, which i think is jersey retirement worhty already. Factor in the fact that that all were with the same team really strengthens his chances. I think he is more than Qualified for this honor, if he can repeat next year with another cup (Which is in no way out of the question) I'd say he would be a lock. I dont care who out there calls him an all star Back up goalie, he will always be a Starter in my book, and with all the records he has as a BACKUP he has broken ALOT of so called Detroit STARTER goaltender records, including playoff records.

Lids for sure.
Ozzie well on his way if not already....

But thats just my opinion which means nothing to managment or anyone else here haha

Edited by Hank Dats 'N Homer, 09 June 2008 - 09:20 PM.

#20 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,026 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 09:23 PM

Yes to both, espcially if Ozzie can put together two more 25+ win seasons. If we win another cup, no doubt he makes it in.

#NOMOREKINDL