• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

40#1Fan

Wings add McCrimmon to Coaching Staff

Rate this topic

The Detroit Red Wings have hired Brad McCrimmon as an assistant coach on Mike Babcock’s staff, filling the vacancy created when Todd McLellan left to take the head job in San Jose.

McCrimmon was the associate coach for the Atlanta Thrashers last season and a finalist for the head job with the Thrashers.

He told Sporting News he has agreed to terms to join the Red Wings and expects to sign the deal when he goes to Detroit next week.

“I was there for three years as a player and loved it,” said McCrimmon, who played for the Red Wings from 1990-93. “Now it’s a great opportunity to go back. It’s a good situation in the sense of the city, the team and what they’ve been doing there for a long time

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/hockey/

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Don't know much in the guy, but the Wings Brass rarely makes mistakes. If hes anything like Babcock we got a solid assistant

McCrimmon was a popular assistant in Atlanta, where Ilya Kovalchuk, Bobby Holik, Marian Hossa and Mark Recchi all made pitches for him to get the head job after Bob Hartley was fired at the beginning of the 2007-08 season. The Thrashers instead promoted John Anderson from their AHL affiliate after Anderson won the Calder Cup this season with the Wolves.

Sounds good.

The Detroit Red Wings have hired Brad McCrimmon as an assistant coach on Mike Babcock’s staff, filling the vacancy created when Todd McLellan left to take the head job in San Jose.

McCrimmon was the associate coach for the Atlanta Thrashers last season and a finalist for the head job with the Thrashers.

He told Sporting News he has agreed to terms to join the Red Wings and expects to sign the deal when he goes to Detroit next week.

“I was there for three years as a player and loved it,” said McCrimmon, who played for the Red Wings from 1990-93. “Now it’s a great opportunity to go back. It’s a good situation in the sense of the city, the team and what they’ve been doing there for a long time

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/hockey/

If Brad coaches like he played there will be no problems. He was a tough puck moving defenseman.

Edited by UP2HERE

If Brad coaches like he played there will be no problems. He was a tough puck moving defenseman.

Agreed. He played for the Wings at the end of his career for the most part but he was certainly a good defenseman in his day. He played most of his career with the Flames if I'm not totally mistaken and won a championship there. I wouldn't doubt that he was a bit of an influence to Nick's game.

McCrimmon was a popular assistant in Atlanta, where Ilya Kovalchuk, Bobby Holik, Marian Hossa and Mark Recchi all made pitches for him to get the head job after Bob Hartley was fired at the beginning of the 2007-08 season. The Thrashers instead promoted John Anderson from their AHL affiliate after Anderson won the Calder Cup this season with the Wolves.

Sounds good.

Nice that he'll come with comfort. No complaints from me.

...you guys are missing the biggest part of this. McCrimmon was the first defense partner of Lidstrom, he was the one who taught him the North American system and helped Lids adapt from the Euro style to the NHL. Without Brad's guidance, Lidstrom maybe would have spent a few years in Adirondack instead of his entire career in the NHL. McCrimmon was proBABly the best choice the Wings could make! His repore with Hossa is just a bonus! He is already familiar with the Execs including Yzerman and Holland. I was totally caught off guard with this signing, but WOW, couldn't ask for a better hard nosed defensive style person! Remember the goal from center ice when he faked dumping it in and shot it at the net? I am sure someone can find it and post it!

...back to the Lidstrom factor, Brad was probably most influencial on Lidstrom developing from the best defensman in Europe to the best Defensman in the world!

...Ken Holland does it again!

Guest Crymson
What's with all the Mcs and Macs? :lol:

The Irish are stealing all of our jobs again.

Aren't you the dude who "threatened" to quit this forum after Holland's "horrible" trade deadline aquisitions?

You flip-flop that quick?

What no one can admit they made a mistake or a rash judgment, I mean I may change my opinion too if a guy I thought was a bum (not putting words in your mouth leftwinger) then made a key signing to win my favorite team the cup (Stuart) and then made the biggest free agent splash in years the next season. That is unheard of in professional sports today, usually a team dismantles or just doesn't make that many improvements.

BTW: I was all over Leftwinger for the red wings card comment, but dude has definitely made amends for whatever was said during the heat of the trade deadline.

Edit: Damn Spelling!!!

Edited by Opie