• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Red Winged

I STILL Cant Believe Hossa Is a Red Wing

Rate this topic

Hossa is really overrated now. Yeah he's elite winger, but he is not superstar player like Thornton, Lecavalier and co.

When it comes to wingers, I can't think of many better than Hossa. And that was exactly the position where we had the most room for improvement. There may be better players in the league but few better fits for Detroit.

Edited by FinWing

When it comes to wingers, I can't think of many better than Hossa. And that was exactly the position where we had the most room for improvement. There maybe better players in the league but few better fits for Detroit.

R4L is the most negtive poster I've seen around here. He puts a negative spin into every thread. I wouldn't worry about him.

R4L is the most negtive poster I've seen around here. He puts a negative spin into every thread. I wouldn't worry about him.

I am not negative person as far as I know. I am thrilled to see Hossa as a Red Wing but on the other hand, all the Hossa praising is way too much now. Kinda like all the Crosby-love circus :)

Edited by Reds4Life

I am not negative person as far as I know. I am thrilled to see Hossa as a Red Wing but on the other hand, all the Hossa praising is way too much now. Kinda like all the Crosby-love circus

The rest of the league COMBINED doesn't get as much love as Crosby. <_<

I am not negative person as far as I know. I am thrilled to see Hossa as a Red Wing but on the other hand, all the Hossa praising is way too much now. Kinda like all the Crosby-love circus :)

Hossa AND Crosby deserve all the praise they are getting. Sure we may not like Crosby but make no mistake he's an elite player in this league. The fact that you said Crosby doesn't deserve the praise he's getting takes credibility from your statement about Hossa. Is Hossa as good as Crosby or Vinney? No of course not but your on a Detroit message board so we're going to praise our home-town addition.

Guest mindfly

Relax dude, we got kenny so we knew he could sign him... plus we don't know if hossa will be great here in detroit, he could maybe "just be good"... Time will tell, but I think everyone has got high expectations

Edit: "Reds4Life" is bitter cause hossa is slovakian and not a czech ;)

Edited by mindfly

Hossa is a better two-way player than a lot of the elite forwards, whom he is a level below offensively for the most part. He's really an unbelievably great fit for the Wings - way more so than Sundin.

But its ok if its Z, Dats or Lids....right?

Gimme a break, Crosby gets love because he's one of the best in the game and he's the NHL's marketing dream. God forbid they'd try and appeal to their North American fan base.

I'd like to see Z, Dats or Lids get pumped as much as Crosby too, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it because the those three won the trophy that Crosby didn't last year.

Hossa is really overrated now. Yeah he's elite winger, but he is not superstar player like Thornton, Lecavalier and co.

Better playoff performer.

Better playoff performer.

Not sure I am willing to say that yet, before last season Hossa was in that Playoff performer bust category, could have been playing with Sid made him that much better, who knows.

And I am pretty sure Vinny has had a couple of decent years in the post season.

I am super stoked he is on the wings don't get me wrong, but not so sure I believe he is a better Playoff performer than Thornton YET, plus I would like to see Thornton on a team in the post season that doesn't have Ron "A good day to Die" Wilson behind the Bench, Joe T has been a ppg playoff guy, it is not his fault his team averages 11 games a post season.

Another thing with Joe T, who has he had to help out on the 1st line, Cheechoo, Michalek? yeah that compares well to Datsyuk Zetterberg or Crosby Hossa or others.

No matter where Joe T has gone he has not had top tier talent on his wing, sure he had Samsonov for a couple of years, but can you imagine him with a guy like Hossa, Malkin, Zetterberg, Kovalchuk?

I am super stoked dispite what negativity this thread has gotten so far. Yeah he's not Crosby or Vinny, but he's still regarded as one of the best in the league for a 2 way player.

Of course Lids, Z, and Dat are not going to get as much praise as Crosby. They are euros, Crosby isn't. Crosby is a young Canadian super star. He is a puppet for the NHL... which just so happens to be a business. Business is all about money. Crosby is face of the NHL right now, and if that's what the NHL needs to get more recognition throughout North America, then i say go for it. Yes, he gets annoying with all of his whining and being everywhere for any kind of endorsement he can get his paws on but you can not ignore what he is doing to help spread the NHL back though N.A.

Not sure I am willing to say that yet, before last season Hossa was in that Playoff performer bust category, could have been playing with Sid made him that much better, who knows.

Hossa has always been a good playoff performer. It's the fact that his team didn't advance in the postseason that got him labeled as a playoff bust. Seriously; look at his stats. He is ALWAYS at or near the top of his team in scoring in the playoffs. In Ottawa, he was often pulling this feat off from the second line while the combination of Yashin/Alfredsson struggled on line 1.

Hossa has always been a good playoff performer; he just hasn't gotten the credit for it because he didn't have a finals appearance because his team was full of trash.

Hossa has always been a good playoff performer. It's the fact that his team didn't advance in the postseason that got him labeled as a playoff bust. Seriously; look at his stats. He is ALWAYS at or near the top of his team in scoring in the playoffs. In Ottawa, he was often pulling this feat off from the second line while the combination of Yashin/Alfredsson struggled on line 1.

Hossa has always been a good playoff performer; he just hasn't gotten the credit for it because he didn't have a finals appearance because his team was full of trash.

Not really....he's been an up & down playoff performer. His first 3 postseasons he managed 4 points in 14 games. He had a solid run in the 01/02 and the 02/03 playoffs, was mediocre inthe 03/04 playoffs, did practically nothing in the 06/07 playoffs and then had a good run this year playing alongside Crosby. Stating he's always been a good playoff performer is a bit of an exaggeration.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=28407

Always been a good playoff performer? Like the years with 2 points in 4 games or 0 in 6 or 1 in 4.

Using a constant like always will almost certainly get you into trouble, but in his 8 post seasons he has had 3 years where he put up double digit point totals, including last year which was far and away his best year, 26 points in 20 games also the only season where he was a PPG.

Maybe you and I have different definitions of good playoffs

Year____ Team__________ GP__G___A__PTS__PIM

1998-99 Ottawa Senators 4 0 2 2 4

1999-00 Ottawa Senators 6 0 0 0 2

2000-01 Ottawa Senators 4 1 1 2 4

2001-02 Ottawa Senators 12 4 6 10 2

2002-03 Ottawa Senators 18 5 11 16 6

2003-04 Ottawa Senators 7 3 1 4 0

2006-07 Atlanta Thrashers 4 0 1 1 6

2007-08 Pittsburgh Penguins 20 12 14 26 12

Those stats don't scream at me this guys is ALWAYS good in the playoffs.

I do however stand corrected he has had a few good years mixed in, but to say he has always been a good playoff performer is a bit of a reach.

Not really....he's been an up & down playoff performer. His first 3 postseasons he managed 4 points in 14 games. He had a solid run in the 01/02 and the 02/03 playoffs, was mediocre inthe 03/04 playoffs, did practically nothing in the 06/07 playoffs and then had a good run this year playing alongside Crosby. Stating he's always been a good playoff performer is a bit of an exaggeration.

How has Hossa stacked up against his teammates? He's led his team four times, finished second twice, and finished sixth once. Only once in his career has he finished outside the top six in scoring on his team in the playoffs.

Let's compare to Lecavalier...

Lecavalier finished 4th, 4th, T4th, and 3rd in team scoring in his four playoff appearances. Not once in the top-two; somewhere Hossa has finished on his team six of eight seasons. Hossa was even doing it as a second liner while Lecavalier was the anointed franchise player.

How has Hossa stacked up against his teammates? He's led his team four times, finished second twice, and finished sixth once. Only once in his career has he finished outside the top six in scoring on his team in the playoffs.

Let's compare to Lecavalier...

Lecavalier finished 4th, 4th, T4th, and 3rd in team scoring in his four playoff appearances. Not once in the top-two; somewhere Hossa has finished on his team six of eight seasons. Hossa was even doing it as a second liner while Lecavalier was the anointed franchise player.

Because his team may have had bad playoffs that doesn't make his numbers better, he still went 0 for 6 games one year if the rest of his team had 0 points and 1 player had 2 unassisted goals that doesn't mean he had a good playoff because he was second on his team in scoring.

You said he was always a good playoff performer, just because he was surrounded by people not putting up numbers that doesn't make his numbers good, that just makes him a victim, but a victim with less than good numbers in the playoffs.

06-07 he put up 1 assist in 4 games, yes they got swept, yes no one on that team should up against the rags, that still doesn't make 1 point in 4 games good numbers.

Edited by Opie

Because his team may have had bad playoffs that doesn't make his numbers better, he still went 0 for 6 games one year if the rest of his team had 0 points and 1 player had 2 unassisted goals that doesn't mean he had a good playoff because he was second on his team in scoring.

You said he was always a good playoff performer, just because he was surrounded by people not putting up numbers that doesn't make his numbers good, that just makes him a victim, but a victim with less than good numbers in the playoffs.

06-07 he put up 1 assist in 4 games, yes they got swept, yes no one on that team should up against the rags, that still doesn't make 1 point in 4 games good numbers.

Ok, then the fact that he has better career points-per-game in the postseason than Vinny surely makes Vinny a total playoff bust also.