• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dump-N-Thump

Aaron Downey re-signs: 1 year 575k two-way contract

Rate this topic

Guest Dump-N-Thump

Mac will still be re-signed i think.

Regardless of what we'd like to think, Justin Abdelkader can use a full year of Pro work before he gets a full stint with Det, and Helm doesn't deserve 4th line minutes, Im sure alot of us would rather see him getting 15+ minutes in GR.

Mac seems like the perfect veteran fit for GR, He is solid defensively, He isn't that bad offensively for being a fighter. He has a magnetic personality, Would be great for a team like GR who could really use the Leadership. and if a call up is needed, Bam Mac is your man, Ideal 4th line fit for detroit.

Thats my 0.02$, I'm sure someone will disagree with me, But w/e im glad the wait is over.

Nice signing.Glad to see someone with some muscle on this team again. 575k? Thats a steal.Wish Flip and others would take note and not be greedy. Hopefully Babs plays Downey enough games to get his name on the cup again.

Not to derail the thread but imo anyone who signed a contract after Jeff Finger and is making less money than Finger can not be called greedy unless of course they are actually less of a hockey player than Finger (In this case Flip is a much greater player). Just my opinion.

Mac will still be re-signed i think.

Regardless of what we'd like to think, Justin Abdelkader can use a full year of Pro work before he gets a full stint with Det, and Helm doesn't deserve 4th line minutes, Im sure alot of us would rather see him getting 15+ minutes in GR.

Mac seems like the perfect veteran fit for GR, He is solid defensively, He isn't that bad offensively for being a fighter. He has a magnetic personality, Would be great for a team like GR who could really use the Leadership. and if a call up is needed, Bam Mac is your man, Ideal 4th line fit for detroit.

Thats my 0.02$, I'm sure someone will disagree with me, But w/e im glad the wait is over.

i agree with that,

in my opinion helm, abdelkader, and either dmac or downey should be in GR next year

I think that the best thing is to have a really good grand rapids team....Imagine what Kindl and the Big Rig will be able to do with a good offense in front of them, I predict a breakout yr for Kindl/Laarson

Does this speak the end of Dmac's comeback? Less than 500K to sign Cheli AND Mac doesn't sound super likely to me.

But good signing with Downey for sure.

Downey will clear waivers and be sent to GR so this signing won't be a cap hit. It's most likely the exact same thing will happen if we sign Dmac. He will clear waivers and be in GR and not have a cap hit.

Good. Let's hope he doesn't have to wait for an injury in order to play, especially if Babcock doesn't play Lilja in the top 6 on defense.

Dude, can you believe all the outrage in this thread from all the anti-enforcer crowd here? Crazy.

Yeah, I guess they all turned out to be hypocrites after all.

:hehe:

Damn them... damn them all the hell!!

I hope Rodovic gets a few games this year though. I like him muchly.

Guest nutz2u

Great news, always un upbeat guy and really seemed to enjoy his role with the Wings regardless of how limited his minutes were.

I've been wondering about Kopecky. He obviously won't be ready for the start of the season and will also have to start out in GR to get up to speed so does his 500k count?

Also someone explain the bonus cushion please.

Great news, always un upbeat guy and really seemed to enjoy his role with the Wings regardless of how limited his minutes were.

I've been wondering about Kopecky. He obviously won't be ready for the start of the season and will also have to start out in GR to get up to speed so does his 500k count?

Is Downey getting any bonuses? The bonus cushion is non-existent this year. You used to be able to go over the cap with potential player bonuses that might be earned that season, and simply tack them on to the following season. But this year you can't, so any potential bonuses are technically considered part of a players full payment, and thus have to be included under the cap, regardless of whether or not the player reaches those bonuses.

Thats why a rookie like Stamkos is going to take 3-4M of your cap space, as opposed to 875k or so. And yes, Kopeckys full cap hit should count.

Guest nutz2u
Is Downey getting any bonuses? The bonus cushion is non-existent this year. You used to be able to go over the cap with potential player bonuses that might be earned that season, and simply tack them on to the following season. But this year you can't, so any potential bonuses are technically considered part of a players full payment, and thus have to be included under the cap, regardless of whether or not the player reaches those bonuses.

Thats why a rookie like Stamkos is going to take 3-4M of your cap space, as opposed to 875k or so. And yes, Kopeckys full cap hit should count.

:thumbup:

I don't think he can get bonuses. Don't you have to be over 35 or have played 400 games? I believe they're the only contracts that can earn bonuses. Except entry-level deals obviously.

Guest Dump-N-Thump

I actually heard Kopecky will be close to ready if not ready by time reg season starts.

But i think they should do the 14 game conditioning stint in GR, like what they did with Meech las year.

It's about F'in time! I especially liked the quote from Jim Nill about Downey:

Nill said the Wings wanted Downey back because "he did a great job last year."

"He created room for the skill players and that's not any easy job," Nill said. "And he fit in well in the room."

Glad to hear that coming from the top brass of the Wings Organization who obviously appreciate the job that Downey did last season. This signing restores my faith in humanity after reading all the anti-Downey garbage thrown down on this site. Congratulations, Aaron!

:yowza::clap:

Guest Crymson

I am very happy to see this. I was thinking about Downey's fight with Lappy after Lappy hit Lidstrom, and I realized how great it was to have someone like Downey on the team.

Kudos @ Downey and Holland.

Woooooooooo whooooooooooo! I personally am super stoked about this signing! I loved what downey did last season and he's a great guy! Really awesome in person!

I love mac in all but i would rather have downey in these days.

Kudo X10 to Kenny and Aaron!