• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dump-N-Thump

Aaron Downey re-signs: 1 year 575k two-way contract

Rate this topic

I love the signing of course.

I hate the 2-way deals.

Rival teams with cap room can pick that player up on re-entry waivers without a second thought if they wanted. That could hurt us (if we have no cap cushion).

We need some more cap room IMO. It's to scary to go out there with only Aaron Downey as our "protector" and no cap room (w/out trades) to replace him VERY FAST if he were to be claimed.

What is everyone's thought on this??

I love the signing of course.

I hate the 2-way deals.

Rival teams with cap room can pick that player up on re-entry waivers without a second thought if they wanted. That could hurt us (if we have no cap cushion).

We need some more cap room IMO. It's to scary to go out there with only Aaron Downey as our "protector" and no cap room (w/out trades) to replace him VERY FAST if he were to be claimed.

What is everyone's thought on this??

A Dman or two will be traded..

It's about F'in time! I especially liked the quote from Jim Nill about Downey:

Glad to hear that coming from the top brass of the Wings Organization who obviously appreciate the job that Downey did last season. This signing restores my faith in humanity after reading all the anti-Downey garbage thrown down on this site. Congratulations, Aaron!

:yowza::clap:

That's a great quote from Nill. Maybe that'll help silence the anti-downey people around here.

A number of posts mention the salary cap and the fact that the Wings are getting close to it. Kenny had said that they will probably go to camp over the cap, which is allowed, and let training camp sort everything out. My impression was that there would probably be a trade or two toward the end of the camp. I was assuming it'd be a d-man or two since that's where they have the most young depth. So, guys like Lebda, Meech, Quincey, etc... may literally be training for their future as a Red Wing.

I hope McCarty will now sign the exact same contract that Downey did.

Edited by therock48880

We have to remember with regards to Downey and Mac, what are the chances of both of them in the lineup at the same time? I would say slim to none. So if Mac signed for 575k also, then by alternating games or weeks, their total salary of 575k would count against the cap, not 1,150,000. This amount would be lessened by any games in which neither of the guys were in the lineup. Advantage of a 2 way contract. Bring them up, send them down. This would still leave under 500k to sign Cheli. This can all work out if they want it to.

It's about F'in time! I especially liked the quote from Jim Nill about Downey:

Glad to hear that coming from the top brass of the Wings Organization who obviously appreciate the job that Downey did last season. This signing restores my faith in humanity after reading all the anti-Downey garbage thrown down on this site. Congratulations, Aaron!

:yowza::clap:

As some one who was formerly one of the biggest Anti-Downey posters on the board (I have since seen the light, the errors of my way) I have to ask where is all of this anti-Downey posting you speak of. There have been multiple Enforcer based threads but none that I recall (I was heavily involved in most of them) that were specifically Anti-Downey. I am pretty sure everyone has agreed he plays his role fantastically and fits in with this team perfectly. The enforcer bit will never leave this site, and there are many people with differing opinions, but I don't recall people being Anti-Downey, well at least this off season!

We have to remember with regards to Downey and Mac, what are the chances of both of them in the lineup at the same time? I would say slim to none. So if Mac signed for 575k also, then by alternating games or weeks, their total salary of 575k would count against the cap, not 1,150,000. This amount would be lessened by any games in which neither of the guys were in the lineup. Advantage of a 2 way contract. Bring them up, send them down. This would still leave under 500k to sign Cheli. This can all work out if they want it to.

Some points of clarification:

-Players count on the cap when they are on the roster, regardless of whether they are in the lineup. If both McCarty and Downey are on the roster, both players count against the cap even if they are both in the press box.

-A 2-way contract has nothing to do with the ability to send a player to the minors. It only has to do with how much a player makes if he gets sent there; for example, Jimmy Howard signed a deal that is two-way for this year only, but if his deal had not included the two-way portion it would not have changed his waiver status.

-The NHL's minimum salary this season is $475,000 and goes up to $500,000 for the next two seasons if the CBA is not reopened.

-One or more of Lebda, Lilja, Quincey, Chelios, or McCarty will not be with the club to start the season. With the Downey signing, the Wings have 22 roster players and just under $400k in cap space left. That's not enough to sign one more players to fill out the roster, and Lilja and Lebda are the only 'expendable' players who clear up cap space and roster space without leaving a significant hole in the lineup that wouldn't be more costly to fill than the player leaving. None of those five can be sent down without waivers.

Edited by eva unit zero

Guest Dump-N-Thump

-A 2-way contract has nothing to do with the ability to send a player to the minors. It only has to do with how much a player makes if he gets sent there; for example, Jimmy Howard signed a deal that is two-way for this year only, but if his deal had not included the two-way portion it would not have changed his waiver status.

So what yoru telling me is that, it's not like it is on NHL 08?

hmmm...so under what circumstances can someone be sent back and forth twixt the the n- and ahl without clearing waivers? i have to admit, i've never been the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to contract/cba/salaray cap kinda stuff.

either way, i'm predicting that downey scores a goal this season. i don't know how, i don't know when. but mark my words. downey will tickle the twine. :cool:

Glad to see its worked out. Im very excited for the upcoming training camp this year and to see who will shine or dissapoint. We all know trades are coming considering once we probably re-sign both Mcarty and Chelios we will be over the cap.

As some one who was formerly one of the biggest Anti-Downey posters on the board (I have since seen the light, the errors of my way) I have to ask where is all of this anti-Downey posting you speak of. There have been multiple Enforcer based threads but none that I recall (I was heavily involved in most of them) that were specifically Anti-Downey. I am pretty sure everyone has agreed he plays his role fantastically and fits in with this team perfectly. The enforcer bit will never leave this site, and there are many people with differing opinions, but I don't recall people being Anti-Downey, well at least this off season!

I wouldn't say it there was a lot of anti-Downey talk specifically. But there was much discussion about whether it was worth carrying a player who only plays a portion of the season, very few minutes a game, and has little to contribute other than fighting. Many thought it was not worth it. And that's Downey in a nutshell.

The $400,000 in cap space... is that with Downey on the roster? If it is, then we have more than enough to sign Chelios as long as Downey is in Grand Rapids, right?

Some points of clarification:

-Players count on the cap when they are on the roster, regardless of whether they are in the lineup. If both McCarty and Downey are on the roster, both players count against the cap even if they are both in the press box.

-The NHL's minimum salary this season is $475,000 and goes up to $500,000 for the next two seasons if the CBA is not reopened.

-One or more of Lebda, Lilja, Quincey, Chelios, or McCarty will not be with the club to start the season. With the Downey signing, the Wings have 22 roster players and just under $400k in cap space left. That's not enough to sign one more players to fill out the roster, and Lilja and Lebda are the only 'expendable' players who clear up cap space and roster space without leaving a significant hole in the lineup that wouldn't be more costly to fill than the player leaving. None of those five can be sent down without waivers.

Morale?

I like the signing, also. Dammit, there is too much friggin' talent on this team!!!

Kinda reminds me when you try and sign free agents on NHL 08 on Xbox 360. They turn down your offer because they feel they won't get quality playing time the with high talent caliber of your roster.

The $400,000 in cap space... is that with Downey on the roster? If it is, then we have more than enough to sign Chelios as long as Downey is in Grand Rapids, right?

And why would you want Chelios over Downey? <_<

So what yoru telling me is that, it's not like it is on NHL 08?

If NHL 08 says a two-way contract means you can send to the minors without waivers...

Then yes, I am telling you it's not like NHL 08. Contract type means nothing except how much you make when you are in the minors. The contract type only affects the pocketbook of the player and the owner; it affects nothing else. Not cap hit, not waiver status, nothing but actual wages paid to the player when he is in the minors compared to when he is in the NHL.