• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest 4051RedWings1393

Andreas Lilja

Rate this topic

:lol:

The look on Lilja's face in that photo tells the whole story. He looks like that guy from the film "300".

What other enforcer in the league looks half as menacing when he fights?

This is madness...

lilja-300.jpg

Guest 4051RedWings1393

I know it's very early in the season, but even in the regular season last year, playoffs, and stanley cup finals, lilja was terrible. I know not all players are going to be great, but I'm dead serious about Lilja being thrown down to the minors. Cleary is probably a little rusty, but the Red Wing that shows he's very rusty is Zetterberg.

I know it's very early in the season, but even in the regular season last year, playoffs, and stanley cup finals, lilja was terrible. I know not all players are going to be great, but I'm dead serious about Lilja being thrown down to the minors. Cleary is probably a little rusty, but the Red Wing that shows he's very rusty is Zetterberg.

And other players had their fair share of bad moments in the playoffs as well. Lilja still helped the Wings win a Stanley Cup, as well as pretty much everybody else on the team who had brainfarts every now and then.

You don't like him or you think that he isn't as good as some of the other players. That's fine and I highly doubt anybody here is going to change your mind on that.

He is far from my favorite but still for the skill set he brings and his fairly cheap salary, he's a respectable stay-at-home defensemen for a #5 or #6 d-man with good shotblocking and penalty killing capabilities.

If you don't want him on the team, that's fine as I said above. Who do we trade him for or what should the Wings get for him? But putting him in the minors when he plays most nights and has traits that are important to this team like I explained above, and risk getting him claimed off waivers for NOTHING just doesn't make that much sense to me.

If, hypothetically speaking, this team gets better by dealing Lilja for other players or draft picks or cash, great. The Wings aren't going to lose Lilja for NOTHING though in-season, if they ever get serious about wanting to trade him. Get him for SOMETHING/SOMEONE ELSE, not NOTHING.

And for the record, I'm neutral on Lilja. When he brainfarts, it is sometimes big unfortunately, but his skill set usually outweights his brainfarts every now and then. I'm not against trading him but I realize his importance on the team even though he's not going to be a top-pairing defenseman anytime soon.

Alright...

So it would seem that these boards are split between whether or not Lilja belongs on this team, or should still be here depending on his play. Alot of you argue he should be gone.

My only question to all of those people: Obviously you guys are GM-caliber and possess the foresight and hockey-knowledge of a seasoned, veteran coach, so this question will be easy as hell for you...

Who would you replace him with? Tell me who you would rather have on the back end and why. What defenseman would you plug into his spot?

I don't know about the Lilja bashers, but I've already addressed this topic logically. Granted, I did it from the point of view with Holland attempting to field a roster of 23 skaters that included 13 forwards and 8 defensemen, so the cap situation was different.

As far as who to plug into Lilja's spot, that is a complicated situation. While Lilja is certainly a capable hitter, PKer, and shot blocker...those units don't disintegrate if he goes away. The Wings have Lidstrom, Rafalski, Kronwall, Stuart, Lebda, and Meech slated to return as of right now. This leaves two open spots, currently held by Chelios and Lilja, both of whom are UFAs for next year. One of those spots will be taken by Jonathan Ericsson. Whether it is Chelios, Lilja, or neither who returns is the question. I don't expect Chelios back, especially if the Wings repeat. If Detroit wins the Cup, Chelios goes out on top.

The only logical reason to replace Lilja would be to clear cap space and to open roster space for a young defenseman who is not currently as good as Lilja at what Lilja is good at, but will be a better overall defenseman within a few years. If the reason for dumping Lilja is to get a player who is better right now, well that isn't going to happen because the Wings can't afford to pay for another defenseman of that caliber.

I don't know about the Lilja bashers, but I've already addressed this topic logically. Granted, I did it from the point of view with Holland attempting to field a roster of 23 skaters that included 13 forwards and 8 defensemen, so the cap situation was different.

As far as who to plug into Lilja's spot, that is a complicated situation. While Lilja is certainly a capable hitter, PKer, and shot blocker...those units don't disintegrate if he goes away. The Wings have Lidstrom, Rafalski, Kronwall, Stuart, Lebda, and Meech slated to return as of right now. This leaves two open spots, currently held by Chelios and Lilja, both of whom are UFAs for next year. One of those spots will be taken by Jonathan Ericsson. Whether it is Chelios, Lilja, or neither who returns is the question. I don't expect Chelios back, especially if the Wings repeat. If Detroit wins the Cup, Chelios goes out on top.

The only logical reason to replace Lilja would be to clear cap space and to open roster space for a young defenseman who is not currently as good as Lilja at what Lilja is good at, but will be a better overall defenseman within a few years. If the reason for dumping Lilja is to get a player who is better right now, well that isn't going to happen because the Wings can't afford to pay for another defenseman of that caliber.

lilja is signed through the 09-10 season.

What makes people think Chelios would retire whether the Wings win the Cup or not? He's already stated he'd like to give it a go until he's 50. If the Wings don't re-sign him, there's always the possibility of playing for another team. Perhaps back on Chicago even.

Sidenote: As finalfilppula said, Lilja is not a UFA next year, though Cheli obviously is.

I want an explanation on the Larry Murphy comment.

Agreed. Closest Red Wing would be Anders Eriksson.

Both of which are probably the worst D-men to ever have watched the puck go by them.

And watch the play go by them.

And then watch the puck go in.

Please.....watch the games.....not the puck.

Lilja is 2 steps behind the puck at all times. And does not improve. Never improves. He refuses to improve.

Watch. Please.

Lilja has been playing fairly good hockey thus far. He's an average defenseman who makes the occasional mental blunder, but what more can you really expect from a guy who rounds out your bottom pair?

i am a long time lilja basher but i cant say anything bad about this guy right now. the defense as a whole this year has been working out the kinks so far and even lidstrom is making mistakes that have blown my mind. lilja has been one of the more consistent d-men through 9 games. obviously lidstrom and raffi have been great, kronner is all over the place and stuart has been decent. lilja is playing around 17-18 minutes a night and has been great on the PK. at this point in the season its pretty hard to knock the guy, ive been impressed.

I am sorry, I have tried to support Lilja up to this far. He absolutely sucked last night. He should NOT have been in on the 5 on 3 situations or the penalty kills at all for that matter. He is slow, he is sloppy, and he doesn't deserve his current roster spot in my opinion. Sit him and see if he improves, but why not give someone....anyone else a chance to fill his spot. They can't do much worse!

Just my opinion.

Thanks for letting me rant.

Aimee