• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest 4051RedWings1393

Dan Cleary

Rate this topic

Guest 4051RedWings1393

Dan Cleary...Dan Cleary...Daniel Cleary...Wow. I can't believe this guy anymore.

Major Issues

• puck hog
  • never passes
  • tries to get too fancy
  • cherry picks
  • first one to leave off his line, he plays for about 20 seconds
  • horrible shooter

I hate him. Discuss

Haha, have you not watched the past 2 seasons? I'd guess not, Daniel Cleary is the hardest working Red Wing right now. The guy is having vision problems and getting shifted from line to line every game. You hate Daniel Cleary? That's surprising, I'd imagine your in the minority there.

I know everyone is entitled to their opinion, but yours is just downright awful. First of all, Cleary has been playing excellently from a defensive forward perspective. Sure, he hasn't produced much (if at all), but how many points do you really expect someone playing on the third line to put up? Secondly, you are exaggerating his "flaws" an incredible amount. I have noticed Cleary in particular make some beautiful passes and play some very energetic, dangerous shifts so far this season. I won't go ahead and say he has been great, or even good, but he certainly hasn't been as bad as you implied. Give the guy a ******* break.

Guest Crymson
Dan Cleary...Dan Cleary...Daniel Cleary...Wow. I can't believe this guy anymore.

Major Issues

• puck hog
  • never passes
  • tries to get too fancy
  • cherry picks
  • horrible shooter

I hate him. Discuss

Knee-jerk reaction by someone who probably became a fan after we won the Cup.

With a big contract comes big responsibility... I loved him as a grinder and a 3rd liner, but all of a sudden he's making 3 million and he isn't such a bargain anymore...

Anymore? Do people forget that his jaw was rearranged and he had to be on a liquid only diet for the last part of the season? That he was relegated to 3rd/4th line duty in the playoffs? That the only sample we have of this guy is 9 games into the season where hes been dealing with tunnel vision?

I'm usually pretty hard on players, but give me a break. The last functional sample we had of this guy he was on pace for a 25 goal, 50 point season. Since then hes been battling one issue or another.

As for his performance this season not looking at the statsheet, how can you bash the guy? He was the ONLY forward that gave 100% in our first few games of the season, and just a few nights ago he was downright Selkian on the penalty kill. If you want to fault him for his scoring - go right ahead, but just consider how easy it would be for you to do your job when you've got tunnel vision.

Edited by YoungGuns1340

It must have been on NHL.com where some player said "If I were still in a 'Grinder' role, I'd be playing the best hockey of my life this year. But I'm in a scorer's role, so [ I haven't produced s***].

What is Cleary's role on this team? I see him as a utilitarian guy, able to play grinder, able to play up on second line as a tier two scorer, responsible defensively, great forechecking, PK, and now he has some good experience to rely on. Does that about sum up his role?

I have seen him make a bad pass here and there, but you guys got to remember the speed of the game and opponents are out there trying to make life miserable. (While you're Gnipping, he's Gnopping!)

I guess I'm not seeing the disgust with Dan Cleary. I'm trying to be objective, as I do really like the guy and his story.

Obviously I am a huge Dan Cleary fan. I haven't been to thrilled with his minus rating and lack of offense. But he works his ass off and is a very good penalty killer. While everyone is entitled to their own opinions, I think yours is very harsh. I don't think his play has been "that bad" to the point that he deserves to be called a "puck hog" or a "cherry picker".

We are 9 games in on the season. Cleary has be excellent for most of his 3+ years here and we want to judge him on 9 games?

You are making Cleary seem like this awful hockey player and it isn't justified. Okay he doesn't shoot ridiculously hard and his production thus far hardly warrents his new 2.5+ mil/yr contract, but he is defensively reliable, works hard, and is a good team guy. The points will come, especially playing with Sammy and Hank. In the past seasons, Cleary has started off slowly and ended with 20 goals.

Maybe it is just me, but I found your post unbelieveably and unfairly critical.

Edited by umredwing11

Major Issues

• puck hog
  • never passes
  • tries to get too fancy
  • cherry picks
  • horrible shooter

I hate him. Discuss

lol all your posts are hatred towards detroit players, are you sure you arent a blues fan??

Hes kinda falling back into the way he played 3 years ago. I completely disliked him then and didn't want him on the team. However, im not going overboard yet, the way he has played the last two years has been awesome, couldn't expect anything more from him. I know he is capable of getting back to that.

Major Issues

• puck hog
  • never passes
  • tries to get too fancy
  • cherry picks
  • horrible shooter

I hate him. Discuss

Sorry, but he is one of the hardest working offensive guys on the team, and has the capability of either playing a more grinding/defensive oriented role, or turing into a more offensive/goal scoring role in a heartbeat.

What are you basing your list off of? Have any sources or specific game instances where these are habits of his?

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

This is quite possibly the dumbest thread ever.

Are we talking about the same Dan Cleary? Ya know, the Dan Cleary that is the hardest working player on the team? I don't think the OP could give any concrete examples of the areas listed why he/she hates Cleary. I have never seen Cleary cherry pick, fail to pass, try to get fancy, or be a puck hog. However, I have watched Cleary score 20 goals, play solid defensively (particularly a few shifts this season on the PK), and work his ass off every time he steps on the ice.

Sometimes I wonder if certain people on here even watch hockey.

Like others have stated, Danny is awesome. he is one of the hardest workers out there.

Its like your expecting him to rack up points or something. (He will actually contribute to a good amount of wings scoring this year)

He plays hard every night man.

Bad Thread :thumbdown:

edit-

you also started the andreas lilja thread

, if you just post about how much you hate the Wings players, why are you here? go root for the ducks.

Edited by #19=Legend

Major Issues

• puck hog
  • never passes
  • tries to get too fancy
  • cherry picks
  • horrible shooter

I hate him. Discuss

I think this post is way off base. Dan Cleary is just the kind of blood and guts type of player that every team needs. I think he has been very important to this team ever since his arrival. I wish we had more players like him.

This is quite possibly the dumbest thread ever.

Are we talking about the same Dan Cleary? Ya know, the Dan Cleary that is the hardest working player on the team? I don't think the OP could give any concrete examples of the areas listed why he/she hates Cleary. I have never seen Cleary cherry pick, fail to pass, try to get fancy, or be a puck hog. However, I have watched Cleary score 20 goals, play solid defensively (particularly a few shifts this season on the PK), and work his ass off every time he steps on the ice.

Well said :thumbup:

He works hard, reliable on defense (who was on the ice protecting the lead in game 6 of the finals).

Oh, FYI someone who "never passes" and is a "puckhog" are pretty much the same thing.

As for being the first one off the ice, he is usually the first one off the bench and plays a lot of minutes, giving 100% everyshift (which is why he shifts tend to be semi-shorter).

Edited by Wings_Rule_1010

Major Issues

• puck hog
  • never passes
  • tries to get too fancy
  • cherry picks
  • horrible shooter

I hate him. Discuss

No name calling. -- Anom

Edited by Anomalously

Major Issues

• puck hog
  • never passes
  • tries to get too fancy
  • cherry picks
  • horrible shooter

I hate him. Discuss

Now I know irony when I see it. :thumbup: Well done!

Edited by Drake_Marcus

Knee-jerk reaction by someone who probably became a fan after we won the Cup.
Exactly.

I read the first post and thought this was going to be a funny thread. I guess not.

Discuss? <_<

Edited by motorcitykid

Major Issues

• puck hog
  • never passes
  • tries to get too fancy
  • cherry picks
  • horrible shooter

I hate him. Discuss

Discuss? Discuss what? How if he ever finds you, he will totally beat your ass. You shouldn't f*ck with a New Foundlander! lol. This thread sucks and so does your opinion.

Edited by miller76